PDA

View Full Version : Saturday showed we won't be bullied

matty_f
02-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Aberdeen tried their hardest to kick us off the park on Saturday and we stood up to it.

We're going to have to do it again on Saturday against the Yams, who are a big, physical side.

PC Stamp
02-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Aberdeen tried their hardest to kick us off the park on Saturday and we stood up to it.

We're going to have to do it again on Saturday against the Yams, who are a big, physical side.

Spoke to a Yam mate who actually said that it's just as well they are a big, physical side. He reckons them bullying Hibs is the only chance they have. He's a bit concerned that others have already tried that tactic against Hibs this season and failed though.

MyJo
02-11-2009, 11:20 PM
There are a few big, physical sides in the league but none more so that the yams.....we'll have to be careful that our important players aren't injured at the weekend

degenerated
02-11-2009, 11:37 PM
as big, physical sides go they are right up there. they're rank rotten at fitba but they will throw their weight about.

Jonnyboy
02-11-2009, 11:42 PM
I just hope McBride and Zemmama recover from their injuries in time to play

Riordans Boots
02-11-2009, 11:53 PM
I just hope McBride and Zemmama recover from their injuries in time to play

Zouma was in agony after 'that' tackle/dive and looked to be really struggling.

I just hope and :pray: he recovers from that injury.

truehibernian
02-11-2009, 11:53 PM
To be honest, Hearts are not really a "big physical team". The type of football they play is aggressive due to lack of real technique in their side, but when you take out Bouzid and Goncalves, you are left with pretty lightweight players like Alf (Suso), Driver, Black, Stewart, Thomson, Obua. I would say that Miller and McBride have bite and grit as well as technique, and Murray and Bamba have as much physicality to their game as the likes of Bouzid and Goncalves. I hope on Saturday, simply by keeping the ball moving and keeping possession, we will tire a very unfit looking Hearts out. Bouzid has got to be worth getting in about as he is a bombscare in the box.

matty_f
03-11-2009, 12:02 AM
To be honest, Hearts are not really a "big physical team". The type of football they play is aggressive due to lack of real technique in their side, but when you take out Bouzid and Goncalves, you are left with pretty lightweight players like Alf (Suso), Driver, Black, Stewart, Thomson, Obua. I would say that Miller and McBride have bite and grit as well as technique, and Murray and Bamba have as much physicality to their game as the likes of Bouzid and Goncalves. I hope on Saturday, simply by keeping the ball moving and keeping possession, we will tire a very unfit looking Hearts out. Bouzid has got to be worth getting in about as he is a bombscare in the box.

There's a few in that side that are big,physical players. The Yams are a big physical side and will be trying hard to use that to their advantage on Saturday, IMHO.

I just hope the ref's as switched on to it as the ref was to Aberdeen's attempts at kicking us on Saturday.

degenerated
03-11-2009, 12:07 AM
There's a few in that side that are big,physical players. The Yams are a big physical side and will be trying hard to use that to their advantage on Saturday, IMHO.

I just hope the ref's as switched on to it as the ref was to Aberdeen's attempts at kicking us on Saturday.

they'll use the fact that they are big and physical to go back to front as quickly as possible. don't expect to them to play through the midfield much, their main task will be to try and kick miller out of his stride.

Hibs Spain
03-11-2009, 12:15 AM

I just hope the ref's as switched on to it as the ref was to Aberdeen's attempts at kicking us on Saturday.there are...:wink:

truehibernian
03-11-2009, 12:17 AM
The weakness of Hearts is their keeper and central defensive pairing. I see young Reynolds at Well stated that Gannon identified that all week prior to their league game. Zemamma, if fit, should play the "off striker" role, and I would perhaps consider (the only change if Yogi makes one), pushing DW into attacking right mid, with McCormack on Driver. Benji (sadly) dropping to the bench. Would be more than happy however to keep the same 11 as the last few games though and same formation.

Hibercelona
03-11-2009, 12:59 AM
The difference with Hibs is the fact that we have "bigger" lads with more physical presence that we have done in the past.

Lacking more physical players in the past is what's cost us dearly.

Now we have a balanced out mixture of players.

Those that will use their technique to try and frustrate Hearts... and those bigger "no nonsense" lads.

People will tell me not to be over confident, but I think we will steam roller Hearts at the weekend. We finally have the players that can match their physical players while having players that will be a joy to watch running at their defenders.

Hibbyradge
03-11-2009, 07:02 AM
I am concerned that our ball players like Miller and Zemamma could be intimidated by the big, physical presense of Hearts.

Even though they're not all actually big and physical in stature, Shabba has them playing in a big, physical way.

They're just big, physical bullies, but we showed against Aberdeen, and at Ibrox, that we can stand up to it.

It's a bit like a refined, light footed David against a lumbering, neckless Goliath.

EskbankHibby
03-11-2009, 08:16 AM
I am concerned that our ball players like Miller and Zemamma could be intimidated by the big, physical presense of Hearts.

Even though they're not all actually big and physical in stature, Shabba has them playing in a big, physical way.

They're just big, physical bullies, but we showed against Aberdeen, and at Ibrox, that we can stand up to it.

It's a bit like a refined, light footed David against a lumbering, spineless Goliath.

Fixed that for you mate, we are talking about Hearts after all.:wink:

Barney McGrew
03-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Saturday passed shows what happens when you come up against a big, physical side like Hertz - they combat their lack of skill and technique by trying to bully the opposition.

The difference between Hertz and Aberdeen is that at least Aberdeen had a tiny wee bit of skill and technique to go with their physical approach.

The referee will need to do the same as the one on Saturday did, and dish out the bookings when required so they can't get away with it.

ahibby
03-11-2009, 09:05 AM
A few teams this season have tried that approach, not just Aberdeen but the two Sts and Motherwell too and we beat all of them. That's not to say we will win on Saturday but I think we are experienced at handling those tactics. They are bound to pay off against us at some time though and I hope this Saturday isn't the time. Anything can happen in a derby and we will just have to wait and see how it goes. If this weather keeps up I can't see much football being played more like water polo.

Craig_in_Prague
03-11-2009, 09:14 AM
It's great to see we are not either of 1) a passing, flair team, a.k.a. soft touch, or 2) big physical hoofball team.

We are a team that certainly looks like it is taking on board what the manager is getting into them. We look wise, we can play for sure, but we're also doing the fundamentals which Yogi goes on about, and he's right - we need to work hard, win our battles & if we do, more often than not, our quality players can win us games.

We've had a hard run of games of late, Motherwell, D. UTD, Killie, Huns, Aberdeen and passed all the tests. I am glad we have Hearts this week and not say 1 month ago, when we were still gelling.
Now, we should be ready for them :agree:

matty_f
03-11-2009, 09:48 AM
It's great to see we are not either of 1) a passing, flair team, a.k.a. soft touch, or 2) big physical hoofball team.

We are a team that certainly looks like it is taking on board what the manager is getting into them. We look wise, we can play for sure, but we're also doing the fundamentals which Yogi goes on about, and he's right - we need to work hard, win our battles & if we do, more often than not, our quality players can win us games.

We've had a hard run of games of late, Motherwell, D. UTD, Killie, Huns, Aberdeen and passed all the tests. I am glad we have Hearts this week and not say 1 month ago, when we were still gelling.
Now, we should be ready for them :agree:

:agree: We are definitely better placed to deal with a big, physical side like the Yams now, than we were a couple of months back.

Sergey
03-11-2009, 12:16 PM
:agree: We are definitely better placed to deal with a big, physical side like the Yams now, than we were a couple of months back.

My fear is that the Yams will simply try to kick us off the park and use their physical superiority in an attempt to bully us.

They sure are a big, physical side.

Broken Gnome
03-11-2009, 12:34 PM
My fear is that the Yams will simply try to kick us off the park and use their physical superiority in an attempt to bully us.

In turn, I slightly fear that Hibs won't be able to keep 11 men on the park on Saturday...

Speedway
03-11-2009, 01:00 PM

Ultimately I think, that the size and height advantage of the Yams players compared to ours and other SPL teams means that we regard them as a big, physical side.

ahibby
03-11-2009, 02:41 PM
In turn, I slightly fear that Hibs won't be able to keep 11 men on the park on Saturday...

Stokes might have to keep a cool head.

lapsedhibee
03-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Aberdeen played a big, physical game on Saturday and to illustrate the extent of that bigness and physicality, it's worth pointing put that the average size of the players in their team hardly changed at all when they went a man down, or even when they went two men down.

Saturday's game will be different. If Hertz go a man down as a result of their big, physical play there's no telling what that will do to the average size of their players - it would be a yamathematical calculation and thus completely unpredictable (in a non-Heisenberg sort of a way). The only thing for certain is that Hertz will start out with a big eleven.

JimBHibees
03-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Important that we keep the head on Saturday, Miller and Stokes seem to have short fuses as does Benji. To be honest I think Benji may be targetted for a bit of winding up to try and get a reaction, important he doesnt lose it.

matty_f
03-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Important that we keep the head on Saturday, Miller and Stokes seem to have short fuses as does Benji. To be honest I think Benji may be targetted for a bit of winding up to try and get a reaction, important he doesnt lose it.

I think Benji will be fine, he's never been sent off against a big, physical side like the Yams before.

Mibbes Aye
05-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Getting back to the OP I think our refusal to be bullied is indicative of how Yogi has tried to recast the team and formation.

We're barely in November and of course the squad will still be gelling, still getting used to the tactical blueprint that Hughes has laid out.

Nevertheless the way he likes to play - encouraging fullbacks to play high, deploying a player like McBride in the midfield anchor role - provides a footballing solution to the more industrial approach that still permeates our game and IMO we're going to see the fruits of his approach become more and more evident.

The proof is in the pudding. When we play sides that are big and physical (and to be honest, I would describe the yams in those terms), we're much better-equipped to deal with them :agree:

Keith_M
05-11-2009, 10:07 AM
I smell a Private Members wind up here....

:greengrin

Broken Gnome
05-11-2009, 05:03 PM

A big, physical one?

Danderhall Hibs
05-11-2009, 05:06 PM

There's nothing on the PM board about this. Honest.

I think it's just a sub-conscious thing.

Keith_M
05-11-2009, 05:09 PM
A big, physical one?

Ooh Matron.........

:wink:

Speedway
05-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Ooh Matron.........

:wink:

The length some people will go to for a double entendre

Dashing Bob S
05-11-2009, 06:10 PM
kill dem

One Day Soon
05-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Kill dem all or just kill dem?

kill dem

Kato
06-11-2009, 12:44 AM
The EEN featured Drew Busby tonight and he is, rightly, described as a "Hearts Hero". Rightly because he was a total thug and that's the type of player their fans like.

matty_f
06-11-2009, 12:46 AM
The EEN featured Drew Busby tonight and he is, rightly, described as a "Hearts Hero". Rightly because he was a total thug and that's the type of player their fans like.

:agree: Fans of big, physical sides like the Yams like those sort of players.

MyJo
06-11-2009, 08:23 AM
:agree: Fans of big, physical sides like the Yams like those sort of players.

Which explains why a big, physical neanderthal like Bouzid gets a game :jamboak: