PDA

View Full Version : Collins on Hibs

CapitalHibs
02-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Interesting:hmmm:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/8337910.stm

apqsy
02-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Think JC has said what most hibs fans will be thinking - bar hearts having a better team than the league table may show.

Peevemor
02-11-2009, 04:17 PM
It's good 'hear' from him, but there's no great insight is there? :coffee:

Mon Dieu4
02-11-2009, 04:18 PM
I think we are "Doing ever so well" :agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-11-2009, 04:22 PM
That is fairly dull actually. Filling empty space on a web-page.

Jonnyboy
02-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Interesting .........

"He's doing a fantastic job and I'm delighted he's had some funds available, which the fans wanted and the team needed."

So did you John :wink:

basehibby
02-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Nice to hear from JC and a great pic there of him holding the cup aloft :greengrin

Includes a subtle wee side swipe at RP maybe "He's doing a fantastic job and I'm delighted he's had some funds available, which the fans wanted and the team needed." but I've got say I'm happy that Yogi is spending it as opposed to JC who's transfer record was disappointing even if his budget was puny.

Nice to hear him talking up the Hibs though :cool2:

Cropley10
02-11-2009, 05:58 PM
I think we are "Doing ever so well" :agree:

The boys have been working their socks off

mentalhibee
02-11-2009, 06:21 PM
here's video footage.http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8338906.stm

hibsbollah
02-11-2009, 06:33 PM
The boys have been working their socks off

"They are giving 110%":dummytit:

Perspective
02-11-2009, 08:09 PM
I don't mind saying it - I love the guy.

He doesn't come across as bitter and genuinely wants Hibs to do well. I'd like to think most fans would feel the same way towards him.

Cropley10
02-11-2009, 08:11 PM

He doesn't come across as bitter and genuinely wants Hibs to do well. I'd like to think most fans would feel the same way towards him.

:agree: a Cup winning Manager.

But there's nothing wrong with a bit of Collins catchphrase bingo is there!?:greengrin

Betty Boop
02-11-2009, 08:16 PM

Me too! :love ya!:

hibee_girl
02-11-2009, 09:15 PM

:agree:

Hibercelona
02-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Me too! :love ya!:

You love everyone. :wink:

As for JC... he's a top notch man and I wish him much success in the future. :agree:

Edit: Unless he becomes the new Celtic gaffer :duck:

Si_17
02-11-2009, 10:39 PM

Any manager who has won us a cup deserves some gratitude. :agree:

It ended on a sour note, but some of the flak he receives is slightly unwarranted in my opinion.

Bad Martini
03-11-2009, 12:19 PM
"I thought Hearts would have made a better start to the season and they have got better players than their league position shows, so I would expect them to climb up the table."

:greengrin

He kens that they're going naewhere fast. Ye have to love his smoothness.

And he won us a cup (sorry - TBTM won us the cup) - Johnny just trained/advised/picked/played the team that won the cup...apologies :greengrin:thumbsup:

Nice one John son.

ENDOF :thumbsup:

GlesgaeHibby
03-11-2009, 12:36 PM

:agree: Totally agree. His philosophy on the game was spot on. Lifestyle, hard fitness training, short sharp passing and a cup winning manager.

yekimevol
03-11-2009, 06:15 PM
hope the only teams that man is allowed near is the old firm and hearts i hope to never hear that mans name connected with hibs again he destroyed a team and it took two managers to correct it :grr:

Perspective
03-11-2009, 07:06 PM
hope the only teams that man is allowed near is the old firm and hearts i hope to never hear that mans name connected with hibs again he destroyed a team and it took two managers to correct it :grr:

Regardless of what you think of him - and I'm with GlasgaeHibby - the man won a Cup in style. So you're way out of line.

judas
03-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Interesting:hmmm:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/8337910.stm

He couldn't manage and bailed out before the pile of poo he signed wrote his obituary.

Lets hope his punditry is equally poor.

judas
03-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Regardless of what you think of him - and I'm with GlasgaeHibby - the man won a Cup in style. So you're way out of line.

Aye. With Mowbrays team reaching it's peak.

yekimevol
03-11-2009, 08:20 PM

if it was the scottish cup i would shut my trap right now but it wasn't. another thing it was moggas team that won it not his, he had a transfer window and did nothing. also he had the easyest cup run, bobby had a worse run he avoided the old firm all we had was the jambos and the sheep. now after the cup final we never won a game for 13 games we had dunfermline the team relegated three times lost twice and drew once. now the players' we lost that where his fault ivan after several "disagreements" mikey stewart (never a fan) but the lad was ok, jay shields would have liked to have seen more of him looked good.Jamie McCluskey another could have and chris killen the top goal scorer he wanted more than a one year deal and collins said NO. now his signing where to be laughed at kerr,donaldson,obrien,morais,gathuessi, noubissie. we never know about curier and maka has improved this season under a new keeper coach.

hibsbollah
03-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Mowbrays team won the cup:faf:
That old chestnut:rolleyes:

Dashing Bob S
03-11-2009, 08:43 PM

Yes, yes and yes again. :top marks

Perspective
03-11-2009, 09:40 PM
if it was the scottish cup i would shut my trap right now but it wasn't. another thing it was moggas team that won it not his, he had a transfer window and did nothing. also he had the easyest cup run, bobby had a worse run he avoided the old firm all we had was the jambos and the sheep. now after the cup final we never won a game for 13 games we had dunfermline the team relegated three times lost twice and drew once. now the players' we lost that where his fault ivan after several "disagreements" mikey stewart (never a fan) but the lad was ok, jay shields would have liked to have seen more of him looked good.Jamie McCluskey another could have and chris killen the top goal scorer he wanted more than a one year deal and collins said NO. now his signing where to be laughed at kerr,donaldson,obrien,morais,gathuessi, noubissie. we never know about curier and maka has improved this season under a new keeper coach.

Suffice to say I don't agree with a single word of that. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Danderhall Hibs
03-11-2009, 09:45 PM

Yip Jay Shields and Jamie McCluskey have gone on to bigger and better things - we'll just have to swallow that I suppose.

As for killen I don't suppose many folk would have offered him longer given that he was offered the deal while tucked up in a hospital bed with his ankle in plaster for a few months.

Bad Martini
04-11-2009, 12:08 PM
He couldn't manage and bailed out before the pile of poo he signed wrote his obituary.

Lets hope his punditry is equally poor.

3 days before a derby after being humped by some crappy mid-table team? Ah wait, that was Saint Tony now wasn't it, demonstrating how he'd "finish what he started".

Never mind, at least the blessed one is back with "his team" now, as he said one Sunday when he talked about Celtic WHILST still manager of Hibs.

Can do no wrong though....and still won NOTHING for Hibs.

John Collins, Hibs Manager, 1 cup won.

ENDOF :agree:

Bayern Bru
04-11-2009, 12:16 PM

If you think Mixu in any way 'corrected' Collins' apparent 'destruction' of Hibs, I've got the number of a very good doctor.

RoslinInstHibby
04-11-2009, 12:26 PM
:agree: Totally agree. His philosophy on the game was spot on. Lifestyle, hard fitness training, short sharp passing and a cup winning manager.

agree totally, JC had the right idea on how to play the game, we won the cup in style under him. The only thing that let hom down was his signings.

Just Jimmy
04-11-2009, 12:28 PM
John collins won a trophy for Hibs. John Collins the man is the definition of class.

Things never worked so he walked, he never hung about to make it worse or screw us for a pay off either.

Its a pity it never worked long term because if there was ever a team and a man supposed to go together, it was Hibernian and John Collins.

Peevemor
04-11-2009, 12:30 PM
If you think Mixu in any way 'corrected' Collins' apparent 'destruction' of Hibs, I've got the number of a very good doctor.

I would say he corrected some problems but caused others.

Bayern Bru
04-11-2009, 12:45 PM
I would say he corrected some problems but caused others.

Undoubtedly he caused some - what do you think he fixed? I'm at a loss myself...

Sandy
04-11-2009, 12:58 PM
John collins won a trophy for Hibs. John Collins the man is the definition of class.

Things never worked so he walked, he never hung about to make it worse or screw us for a pay off either.

Its a pity it never worked long term because if there was ever a team and a man supposed to go together, it was Hibernian and John Collins.

:top marks

Leith Green
04-11-2009, 01:04 PM

Steady on , you'll give me the boak...

If he had been a complete success as a manager then he would have shat on us and jumped ship, just as he did as a player..

Danderhall Hibs
04-11-2009, 01:06 PM
If he had been a complete success as a manager then he would have shat on us and jumped ship, just as he did as a player..

The club sold him the 1st time.

Peevemor
04-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Undoubtedly he caused some - what do you think he fixed? I'm at a loss myself...

For one, I would say he improved the squad.

Peevemor
04-11-2009, 01:10 PM
The club sold him the 1st time.

:agree: After he'd already extended his stay by 2 years, which didn't seem likely at the time.

judas
04-11-2009, 08:40 PM
agree totally, JC had the right idea on how to play the game, we won the cup in style under him. The only thing that let hom down was his signings.

Ha ha yes. His 6 signings let him down. Brilliant.

A bit like saying Hibs beat Hearts 7-0 with 7 lucky breakaways.

The boy was a clown as a manager. Remember the time Tommy Craig controlled him at that press conference like a puppet?

Who is he managing now?!

millarco
04-11-2009, 08:51 PM

The boy was a clown as a manager. Remember the time Tommy Craig controlled him at that press conference like a puppet?

Who is he managing now?!

Or like saying it was Mowbrays team that won the cup?

Beefster
04-11-2009, 10:23 PM

Apparently he made the training ground cafeteria change from Pepsi to Coke.

Fizzy cola juice problems. Fixed.

jacomo
04-11-2009, 11:41 PM

LTYF

:blah:

Hibercelona
04-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Apparently he made the training ground cafeteria change from Pepsi to Coke.

Fizzy cola juice problems. Fixed.

I heard he made them drink diet as well... no wonder they all went in a huff. :agree:

rainman
05-11-2009, 05:13 AM

Who is he managing now?!

I've never understood the "JC will be a good manager somewhere else" line.

He showed absolutely no managerial qualities other than being able to talk a good game.

Bag signings, bad man-management, bad tactics and bad team selection.

Interesting to see the players who undemined him have almost all, to a man, moved onwards and upwards and managed to work in harmony with their new managers, whilst he is making more tv studio appearances and newspaper inches by the week.

blackpoolhibs
05-11-2009, 07:49 AM

He showed absolutely no managerial qualities other than being able to talk a good game.

Interesting to see the players who undemined him have almost all, to a man, moved onwards and upwards and managed to work in harmony with their new managers, whilst he is making more tv studio appearances and newspaper inches by the week.

:agree::top marks

Jim44
05-11-2009, 12:31 PM

He's no real reason to feel bitter towards Hibs. He chose to leave ER because of the board's lack of ambition at the time and he felt that he could go no further with the resources available. Whether or not this was true or you criticize Collin's for his refusal or inability to soldier on, I think he genuinely has a lot of time for Hibs and I was disappointed that things didn't work out for Collins or Hibs( barring the cup win) back then.

_hucks_
05-11-2009, 12:33 PM
LTYF

:blah:

This is the second time I've had to vouch for him not being a Jambo, and honestly, I know he spouts pish (sorry Mikey!) but he's a Hibby through and through.

Bad Martini
05-11-2009, 12:38 PM
He's no real reason to feel bitter towards Hibs. He chose to leave ER because of the board's lack of ambition at the time and he felt that he could go no further with the resources available. Whether or not this was true or you criticize Collin's for his refusal or inability to soldier on, I think he genuinely has a lot of time for Hibs and I was disappointed that things didn't work out for Collins or Hibs( barring the cup win) back then.

He stuck around after the pish with the players sneaking to Petrie to grass on him. He would have stuck around longer had he been given more money though I do suspect he knows some of his signings werent all that great. Catch 22 - he knows, the board knows = no more money...but, how does one fix the problem without more money???

Tony Mowbray also made some poor decisions such as ever allowing Konte to play ahead of Riordan. He also extended our worst keeper in history's contract (then pissed off down south) and a fair few other less than clever moves, putting aside the whole Riordan debate.

No manager is infallable. However, Collins I feel, was genuinely looking after HIBS best interests. Hence why so many fat, overpaid and useless players ran off to sneakily grass on him to the boss - they didnt like being worked hard. I grant ye, its not always the way to get results but he done it for Hibs, NOT for anyone else.....can all the players say that? Doubtful.

judas
05-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Or like saying it was Mowbrays team that won the cup?

How many of the players in that team were signed by Collins?

How many players in that team were nurtured from youth level by Collins?

Nada.

It would be like me taking over at the helm of Microsoft a week before the annual results came in and claiming the credit.

Don't be sentimental now.

Danderhall Hibs
05-11-2009, 01:27 PM

Nada.

It would be like me taking over at the helm of Microsoft a week before the annual results came in and claiming the credit.

McNeil and Stevenson never played under Mowbray. Hogg rarely played.

If we had made it to that Cup Final with St Tony in charge, I’m sure Zibbi would’ve still been in goals causing some calamity or other to cost us the game.

What he did do was get St Tony’s duds out of the side to allow us to win the Cup.

jacomo
05-11-2009, 02:25 PM
This is the second time I've had to vouch for him not being a Jambo, and honestly, I know he spouts pish (sorry Mikey!) but he's a Hibby through and through.

He may be a Hibby, but he spouts an awful amount of pish.

Nada.

As do you. Your analogy is utter pish - Collins was in charge for 5 months before the Cup Final, from the QFs onwards (incidentally, one of the most complete Derby performances I have ever seen from Hibs, despite the fact we won only 1-0).

millarco
05-11-2009, 02:44 PM

Nada.

As others have said McNeil and Stevenson came through under Collins, and Hogg came back into the team in place of Martis who Mogga preferred. I would also argue that Collins managed to get the best out of Benji, who for me was MOTM.

Collins took the team through the games against Hearts and St Johnstone, as well as the final itself. Mowbray had a great record of getting us to the latter stages of cups, but never seemed to be able to actually win one.

I don't want this to sound anti-Mowbray, as far as I'm aware you are able to rate both of them, but to take the cup win away from Collins is doing him a massive disservice. Maybe if Mowbray had waited long enough he could have enjoyed his team in their peak.

Sergio sledge
05-11-2009, 03:57 PM

I'd be interested to see this list of players who undermined him, and also where they are now? It would be quite good to see proof of who actually went to the meeting at Petire's house, and how they "have almost all, to a man, moved onwards and upwards."

I wait with baited breath to see how you back that comment up when you consider some of the suspects....Simon Brown, Michael Stewart, Jay Sheilds....

In fact, if you look at the squad from that season (http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/verein/903/hibernian-fc/historie/kader.html) and where they are now, there are only really 6 of them who you could say have moved up in their career.

But aye, Collins was a bad man who had no managerial ability, and everyone who disagreed with his methods have been proven right by the stellar careers they've had since then.....:rolleyes:

Collins had his faults, his main one being his signings, and I actually don't think he has what it takes to be a manager in the British sense of the word. I happen to think he would work well at a continental club underneath a director of football who handles signings, and has a good scouting network in place.

He also made a big mistake coming in and expecting to be able to change the players diets and lifestyles and training regimes over night.

I'm glad Collins was at the club when he was, because I don't think Mowbray would have won that cup. Mowbray's team had a habit of choking when it mattered the most and, whether you like it or not, Collins managed to install a steely determination and will to win in the players for that cup run which was never seen under Mowbray, and hasn't been seen since, perhaps until now.

yekimevol
05-11-2009, 06:20 PM

to me what mixu did was bringing in better players to the squad which all so has a bit of character (not saying all where gd) eg murray,bamba riordan, rankin and nish (on there day) he brought through the likes of hanlon and mcormack. also brought back deno to the fold. im not saying that he had the best tactics because he did not simple. but to me his part was bring in players that where above average to steady the ship and gut the players that where not good enough.

rainman
06-11-2009, 06:17 AM
I'd be interested to see this list of players who undermined him, and also where they are now? It would be quite good to see proof of who actually went to the meeting at Petire's house, and how they "have almost all, to a man, moved onwards and upwards."

I wait with baited breath to see how you back that comment up when you consider some of the suspects....Simon Brown, Michael Stewart, Jay Sheilds....

In fact, if you look at the squad from that season (http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/verein/903/hibernian-fc/historie/kader.html) and where they are now, there are only really 6 of them who you could say have moved up in their career.

But aye, Collins was a bad man who had no managerial ability, and everyone who disagreed with his methods have been proven right by the stellar careers they've had since then.....:rolleyes:

Collins had his faults, his main one being his signings, and I actually don't think he has what it takes to be a manager in the British sense of the word. I happen to think he would work well at a continental club underneath a director of football who handles signings, and has a good scouting network in place.

He also made a big mistake coming in and expecting to be able to change the players diets and lifestyles and training regimes over night.

I'm glad Collins was at the club when he was, because I don't think Mowbray would have won that cup. Mowbray's team had a habit of choking when it mattered the most and, whether you like it or not, Collins managed to install a steely determination and will to win in the players for that cup run which was never seen under Mowbray, and hasn't been seen since, perhaps until now.

I considered not posting my thoughts on the matter because from past experiences, the people who are pro-Collins seem to take any anti-Collins comments personally.

I have no doubt that he had Hibs' best interests at heart, but you could trawl through the members list of Hibs.net and pick anybody out at random who would have Hibs' best interests at heart, be able to talk a good game and then bail when the going got tough.

You need to back it up with good man-management skills, tactical awareness and the ability to spot a player. Unfortunately, Collins couldn't do that so he left.

Ok, so there are a handful of players who went to petrie's door who didn't move upward in their career and there are a handful who did. Have any of them had problems with future managers? As the players said at the time, it wasn't the change of diet or training that was the problem, it was the way it was applied and the way they were treated.

I'm not getting into an argument about whether or not Collins was a "bad man" or it was his or Mowbrays team who won the cup. He wasn't a good enough manager to take Hibs forward so he left and is subsequently unemployed as his track record does not make good reading.