PDA

View Full Version : How important was Saturday's result?

matty_f
02-11-2009, 12:45 AM
I think Saturday's result was really important for a number of reasons.

First and foremost it kept the momentum going, and kept us in touch at the top of the table.

Secondly, it came against one of our main rivals for third.

Thirdly, Aberdeen came to bully us and to try and stop us playing. We stood up to them well and I don't think a single Hibs player came out second best in their personal battles.

Fourthly, with Aberdeen going down to 9 men, the press' knives would have been out had we failed to capitalise by wining the game.

Fifthly, Had the game finished nil nil, the side would have gotten pelters on here, and probably on the final whistle too, which may have dented confidence.

It will be interesting to see at the end of the season just how significant this game was, but my gut feeling is that the three points and the manner in which they were won may be an important part of our season.

Hibercelona
02-11-2009, 12:48 AM
:top marks

NOLA
02-11-2009, 12:51 AM
hugely important result! how many times have hibs got points from the infirm only to cancel it out by losing the next week:grr: consistency has been our problem for ... well since i started watching hibs!!! last year or any year in the past 30 years we would have at best drawn that game.

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2009, 12:55 AM
I thought the manner in which we won the game was the best thing about the win. With Nish coming on, the temptation to go long all the time was there, but we didn't, we continued to be patient, and we created a couple of openings before we scored. Yes the goals came late, but they were deserved, and we rightfully won.:thumbsup:

Edinburgh Green
02-11-2009, 01:00 AM

First and foremost it kept the momentum going, and kept us in touch at the top of the table.

Thirdly, Aberdeen came to bully us and to try and stop us playing. We stood up to them well and I don't think a single Hibs player came out second best in their personal battles.

Fourthly, with Aberdeen going down to 9 men, the press' knives would have been out had we failed to capitalise by wining the game.

Fifthly, Had the game finished nil nil, the side would have gotten pelters on here, and probably on the final whistle too, which may have dented confidence.

It will be interesting to see at the end of the season just how significant this game was, but my gut feeling is that the three points and the manner in which they were won may be an important part of our season.

Agree with all your points, hopefully another plus would be that if any of the team had started believing their own press, then struggling to break down a team with 9 men for nearly 30 min will have gving them a wee reality check.

basehibby
02-11-2009, 01:47 AM
An imensely important result for all the reasons stated - as well as just the simple fact that it was a home fixture and we need to win the vast majority of them if we're to have a good season. The derby on the other hand is a game we'd all dearly love to win, but if points were dropped at Tynie then many other teams are likely to do the same this season (even if Hertz ARE pish they're still a physically powerful team who are particularly strong at home) - meaning less ground lost on other teams.

Also - a win ahead of the derby can do no harm to confidence - I may have just talked down the fixture in terms of the league - but let's face it - there's no other fixture we want to win more - even if we were BOTTOM of the league we'd still be walking on air after beating those bassas!

CalgaryHibs
02-11-2009, 01:55 AM

=====
well said mate:thumbsup:

every win is important:greengrin

Dashing Bob S
02-11-2009, 02:00 AM

Agree with everything here, Matty. I think this was by far the most important game of the season. Sandwiched inbetween Huns and Hearts it always ran the risk of being the fixture where we took our eye of the ball. The great thing about this game was that we handled ourselves well in all the ways you mention.

Basically, this is the sort of result the OF have achieved over the years. You don't play at your best, against a team that try to stop you from playing, but you stick at it, keep focused and come through.

hibbybrian
02-11-2009, 03:23 AM
Agree with everything here, Matty. I think this was by far the most important game of the season. Sandwiched inbetween Huns and Hearts it always ran the risk of being the fixture where we took our eye of the ball. The great thing about this game was that we handled ourselves well in all the ways you mention.

Basically, this is the sort of result the OF have achieved over the years. You don't play at your best, against a team that try to stop you from playing, but you stick at it, keep focused and come through.

Spot on Bob - before the huns game we were on a good run with Huns (away) Dons (home) and ****s (away) on the horizon. Having achieved 4 points from the first 2 games keeps the momentum going for the Derby :thumbsup:

Hibercelona
02-11-2009, 03:32 AM

Aye... being sandwiched between them in the table is difficult as well. :wink:

cannastar
02-11-2009, 09:24 AM
big big result the fact that we played right through to the final minutes even though aberdeen had 11 men behind the ball and didnt allow frustration to get the better of us proves how far we have come as a maturing unit this season.glad that big nish got on the scoresheet as he has been taking pelters since the start of the season and hope that when the laddie is on the park with the jersey on the hibs support gets behind him 100%,we might just find with his confidence back and the form of players around him that a bit rubs off on him and he puts the ball in the back of the net again.regardless who wears the jerseys,we have to keep encouraging whether its each individual supporters favourite player or not cos further down the season we will need everyone ready to come in and do a job for the team and be wanting to be part of this squad which is potentially the best to have graced easter road in a good few years.lets hope we give a good account of ourselves a tynecastle and are as hungry as hearts will surely be.if we can dominate play early then we should be certainly capable of winning the fixture but we need to compete right from the off.hopefully zemamma will be fit enough to play as he has been electric recently and could be the key to unlocking the hearts if not im sure whoever replaces him will be tuned up to perform.5 days to go and im already chomping at the bit heres hoping we keep up the good work.:notworthy:

stubru59
02-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Man U's AF used to always say that your position in he league is determined more by the points you pick up when its cold and miserable, and very little is going your way.

We did not impress on Saturday but ultimately we got the three points.

As others on this thread have noted, the OF have done this for years.

Next weeks derby could go either way - derby's always do - so the importance of picking up three points is huge.

Onward and upward and long may it continue.

Green Man
02-11-2009, 09:50 AM

I was saying this yesterday, it was a very OF-style win. Many times we've seen Hibs push the OF all the way only to lose out to a late goal, so it was very nice to see Hibs do it to another team.

--------
02-11-2009, 10:08 AM

Agree 100%, mattie - the team didn't play anything like as well as they can, and the thought of drawing (or even losing) to 9 men didn't bear thinking about. But the guys kept their discipline, kept passing the ball, didn't react or retaliate to the physical assaults being committed on them (I was afraid a Hibs player would lash out and get red-carded - then we would have been in trouble) and ended up winning the game.

Not a bad dress-reheasal for the derby, IMO.

CropleyWasGod
02-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Agree 100%, mattie - the team didn't play anything like as well as they can, and the thought of drawing (or even losing) to 9 men didn't bear thinking about. But the guys kept their discipline, kept passing the ball, didn't react or retaliate to the physical assaults being committed on them (I was afraid a Hibs player would lash out and get red-carded - then we would have been in trouble) and ended up winning the game.

Not a bad dress-reheasal for the derby, IMO.

There was a point late in the game (when it was 11 v 9) when I was convinced we were going to lose. Last season, we would have. That is the big difference for me.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Three reasons. Firstly, last year we would have either lost or drawn that game. Second, we are still winning without really playing that well. [ what can we achieve when we do start to play well?] Lastly, we got the breakthrough goal on Saturday by reverting to plan B, a bit more direct, punt into the box. Last year that was plan A and we didn't have a plan B.

ahibby
02-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm glad I read the OP because the title doesn't completely cover the main point. I thought going by the title my response would be that it wasn't any more important than any other game but reading the OP I have to agree that if we had lost it there may have been too much negativity being banded around. Indeed even drawing with 9 men would have felt like a defeat and I don't know but it may have had a bad effect on confidence. As it happens our confidence will still be high enough coming in to the derby.

Sir David Gray
02-11-2009, 12:48 PM
I don't think you can overstate just how important those three points could well be for us in the long run.

I said last week that we should forget all about the derby for a couple of days and concentrate fully on the Aberdeen match as it was vital that we won it. I'm delighted that we did win it, albeit in not the most convincing fashion, but as someone has already said before me, that is the kind of game that the Old Firm, and other successful sides from various countries, have been winning for years. When they're not at their best, they still find a way to break down the opposition and grind out a victory.

It remains to be seen whether we will be able to sustain this good run of form over the next six months but 20 points from 10 games certainly gives us a great platform to go on and try to achieve something this year.