PDA

View Full Version : Stack: One of Yogi's best signings?

Alicky Ranks
01-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Not having seen him in the flesh yet I may be over-stating the case for Stack, but from the footage I've watched he actually looks like a proper keeper eg bit of an intimidating presence about him, not prone to heart-stopping gaffes and a strong character to boot. Perhaps not in the Goram class, but solid enough to rely upon most of the time, which is all you really need a keeper to be. IMHO we are so used to watching Hibs keepers who have been found wanting to some degree we now tend to look for the negatives rather than the positives in any new keeper. Stack, to me, looks the business.

AugustaHibs
01-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Good Shot stopper, My heart stopped a few times yesterday because of the time he takes kicking the ball from open play. :dizzy: And doesnt demand box well enough. But a good keeper none the less.

Zazu62
01-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Think one of the reasons yogi signed him is because he is a big character on and off the pitch, especially in the dressing room.

:top marks

Judas Iscariot
01-11-2009, 08:52 PM
What!!?

Well seen you haven't seen him in the flesh!

He's rubbish don't you know?!

Doesn't come off his line, EVER! FACT!

Doesn't catch crosses, EVER! FACT!

Kicks the ball too high and long, FACT!

Takes too long to clear pass backs, FACT!

Hasn't performed a magical howler or caused a goal/s due to him being a bombscare..

That's just not the standard for a Hibs goalkeeper..

Ask Hibs Spain, he'll back me up :agree:

Mag7
01-11-2009, 10:44 PM
What!!?

Hasn't performed a magical howler or caused a goal/s due to him being a bombscare..

I don't understand what you mean by that.

Thought Stack looked excellent at Ibrox last week.

Speedy
01-11-2009, 10:47 PM
I haven't seen much of him either, only been at the cup games, but he has looked a bit dodgy at crosses.

I'd say he was a good signing though because he's an improvement on what we had.

The_Horde
01-11-2009, 10:49 PM
He is a character but he doesn't have anything distinctive about him that makes him stand out from the crowd so hibs fans didn't know what to make of him at first., he's good at everything without being outstanding at one thing and pesh at something else.

Great hands, good communicator, he's big and intimidating like you say his distribution is good and the players seem trust him.

Alicky Ranks
01-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Just noticed the Stack v Maka thread. This should probably be merged with it. Thanks.

Ryan91
01-11-2009, 11:15 PM
:agree:

I would have to say that i do like Stack very much, he's by no means the best keeper ever to have played for Hibs but the best we've had for a while, and from the interview he gave to the Scotsman, he does seem to be a bit of a character but does it in order to create unity within the team. Bit of a practical joker too, never did anyone any harm, Yogi seems to relate to him well.

P.S. I'm 18 now :hyper::party::woohoo:

Dunbar Hibee
01-11-2009, 11:19 PM

I would have to say that i do like Stack very much, he's by no means the best keeper ever to have played for Hibs but the best we've had for a while, and from the interview he gave to the Scotsman, he does seem to be a bit of a character but does it in order to create unity within the team. Bit of a practical joker too, never did anyone any harm, Yogi seems to relate to him well.

Ma birthday tae:greengrin

Ell_Chrisso
01-11-2009, 11:24 PM
We cry out for a goalkeeper, that wont make continual mistakes..
When we get one, we moan he doesnt come and do risky things.

I agree, he doesnt come of his line enough, but i do have confidence in our defence at the moment, enough to suggest he doesnt have to.

He had an outstanding game at Ibrox last week, and has been sound since he took the place of Maka.

He isnt making mistakes, to cost us goals, or 3 points... So untill he does, then i will be worried.

So i say get behind Stack, and give him the confidence and the encouragement he deserves.

Riordans Boots
01-11-2009, 11:32 PM

Ma birthday tae:greengrin

Happy Birthday :thumbsup:

Kevvy1875
01-11-2009, 11:42 PM
He has done OK IMO...as long as he keeps it up then that is fine with me:agree: I wouldnt be unduly worried about Maka coming back in either as evn though he has had one or two gaffe's he is a capable keeper also(think ***********...the Deeks 01 game:greengrin).

For all those who are worried about Stack's kicking...I reckon it looks like he is taking his time because he is actually very composed...makes it look casual? Pretty good at finding Stokes in to his chest where he has a chance of winning it too;)

Hibercelona
01-11-2009, 11:46 PM

Welcome to the realm of the drunk. :greengrin

basehibby
02-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Not having seen him in the flesh yet I may be over-stating the case for Stack, but from the footage I've watched he actually looks like a proper keeper eg bit of an intimidating presence about him, not prone to heart-stopping gaffes and a strong character to boot. Perhaps not in the Goram class, but solid enough to rely upon most of the time, which is all you really need a keeper to be. IMHO we are so used to watching Hibs keepers who have been found wanting to some degree we now tend to look for the negatives rather than the positives in any new keeper. Stack, to me, looks the business.

It's a bit early to make a fully informed assessment but from what I've seen Stack seems a solid and confident keeper. As has been pointed out he's got the odd weakness in his game to work on, but he does the simple things right and goes about his work with an assuredness that comes of experience - so, considering the problems we've had with that position over the last 5 years I'd say he's definately a good signing. The best though??? On early season form that acolade would go to Miller for me - that said I can't think of any of Yogi's signings so far who I'm not pleased with. :cool2:

HibeeUnderwood
02-11-2009, 10:27 AM
He's certainly better than some of the goalkeepers that we've had over the last few years, and I do think that he is a very good signing. I thought when we signed him he would be ok and he's done very well so far :agree:

Hibs Spain
02-11-2009, 10:56 AM
What!!?

Ask Hibs Spain, he'll back me up :agree:Good to see you've got your blinkers off. He does come off his line sometimes though although it's comical and he does catch the odd ball that's right into his hands...
His howlers haven't been punished YET!:agree:

Newhaven
02-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Good to see you've got your blinkers off. He does come off his line sometimes though although it's comical and he does catch the odd ball that's right into his hands...
His howlers haven't been punished YET!:agree:

And of course Makalamby was howler free :bitchy:

Hibs Spain
02-11-2009, 11:03 AM
And of course Makalamby was howler free :bitchy:I can't remember a howler. A couple of iffy moments maybe but the guy's a natural.:wink:

Jonnyboy
02-11-2009, 11:27 AM
I can't remember a howler. A couple of iffy moments maybe but the guy's a natural.:wink:

:faf:

Franck is God
02-11-2009, 11:37 AM
I would certainly choose Maka over Stack as I simply think that Maka is the better of the two. On Saturday Stack had very little to do but when he was invloved he did every thing well enough.

Yogi clearly sees him as his current number one and thats fine, the only issue I have with him is I don't ever expect to come away from winning a game and thanking Stack for making an unbelievable save or having a hugely dominant performance that doesn't allow the opposition anything.

And before anyone comes back with his lack of mistakes, I apreciate that but if you leave the majority of crosses for your defence to deal with then it's easier not make a mistake.

FitbaFolkKen
02-11-2009, 11:40 AM
What!!?

I would reckon this is tongue in cheek.... He isn't fantastic but reliable and just what we need :)

Hibs Spain
02-11-2009, 11:43 AM
I would certainly choose Maka over Stack as I simply think that Maka is the better of the two. On Saturday Stack had very little to do but when he was invloved he did every thing well enough.

Yogi clearly sees him as his current number one and thats fine, the only issue I have with him is I don't ever expect to come away from winning a game and thanking Stack for making an unbelievable save or having a hugely dominant performance that doesn't allow the opposition anything.

And before anyone comes back with his lack of mistakes, I apreciate that but if you leave the majority of crosses for your defence to deal with then it's easier not make a mistake.My opinion is that not coming for crosse IS a mistake. And I hate to sound negative but Stack's been incredibly lucky at not being punished for them and that luck will run out... Nothing surer!!

degenerated
02-11-2009, 11:55 AM

And before anyone comes back with his lack of mistakes, I apreciate that but if you leave the majority of crosses for your defence to deal with then it's easier not make a mistake.

so stacks saves at Ibrox didnt help us get a draw?

less mistakes means less goals conceded as far as i can see, but if you would prefer that we play a keeper who makes basic mistakes and is prone to howlers just so long as he comes for crosses then we'll have to agree to disagree.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Anyone else out there in Easter Road early enough to see the keepers warming up on Saturday? When the players were doing the pass stop shoot routines, Maka was pulling of fabulous saves right, left and centre and one in particular to his bottom left was class and had the famous five stand applauding. I don't know how can do this but can't do the simples. Stack is better overall option for us just now, but I am not too chuffed when he kicks it box to box.

Seveno
02-11-2009, 12:00 PM
To me, he looks better than anything we have had for a long time. Okay, not that difficult. He seems to have settled down the defence and they know what to expect of him ( unlike Maka ).

Okay, he doesn't go out for crosses but then Bamba and Hogg know that so it seems to work, to date.

Let's give him time and make sure we don't add to any pressure.

A save from a Mad Mikey penalty on Saturday would surely win him over to all Hibbies ! :thumbsup:

Hibs Spain
02-11-2009, 12:17 PM
so stacks saves at Ibrox didnt help us get a draw?

less mistakes means less goals conceded as far as i can see, but if you would prefer that we play a keeper who makes basic mistakes and is prone to howlers just so long as he comes for crosses then we'll have to agree to disagree.What howlers? Like I've said already,not coming for crosses is a mistake and when Stack starts getting punished for it they'll become howlers. The other stops he made at Ibrox were the type any pro goalie would have a chance with.He cost us the goal and two points and God knows how they didn't put three more away through his not coming off his line.. Miller's header in particular :agree: Dunno what basic mistakes you're on about either :confused:

RickyS
02-11-2009, 12:28 PM
What howlers? Like I've said already,not coming for crosses is a mistake and when Stack starts getting punished for it they'll become howlers. The other stops he made at Ibrox were the type any pro goalie would have a chance with.He cost us the goal and two points and God knows how they didn't put three more away through his not coming off his line.. Miller's header in particular :agree: Dunno what basic mistakes you're on about either :confused:

they both have short comings, then most goalies do, but for IMO Maka was far too prone to mistakes. Stack may well have been lucky and got away with a couple of things but still he has not cost us a goal or played a makpr part in losing a goal. Maka has made 2 apps so far and had a major part in the gaffe on the opening day. Stack has made 10 apps and had none. and LONG may it continue.

Hibs Spain
02-11-2009, 12:35 PM
they both have short comings, then most goalies do, but for IMO Maka was far too prone to mistakes. Stack may well have been lucky and got away with a couple of things but still he has not cost us a goal or played a makpr part in losing a goal. Maka has made 2 apps so far and had a major part in the gaffe on the opening day. Stack has made 10 apps and had none. and LONG may it continue.It WON'T continue as no one can be that lucky forever ...Seempels :greengrin

RickyS
02-11-2009, 12:41 PM
It WON'T continue as no one can be that lucky forever ...Seempels :greengrin

so far Maka has a 1 in 2 and Stack has a 0 in 10, even allowing for a dip in form Stack would have to go some to get to Maka's level!!!

Hibs Spain
02-11-2009, 12:44 PM
so far Maka has a 1 in 2 and Stack has a 0 in 10, even allowing for a dip in form Stack would have to go some to get to Maka's level!!!Trust me.. He's going to cost us,for the very reasons I'm going on about!

RickyS
02-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Trust me.. He's going to cost us,for the very reasons I'm going on about!

I commend your defence of the Big Fella, I really do. I like him too (honest) but if Stack stays in goals for the rest of the season he may cost us 3-4 goals, if the roles were reversed and Maka played the remaining 28 games, well lets just say it wid be more.

Teo10
02-11-2009, 12:49 PM
We shall see how he copes with his first Derby at Tynie.....

RickyS
02-11-2009, 12:51 PM
We shall see how he copes with his first Derby at Tynie.....

will be his biggest test without a doubt, I think he has the personality to thrive on the pressure and not let the Yams get to him.

Hibs Spain
02-11-2009, 12:57 PM
I commend your defence of the Big Fella, I really do. I like him too (honest) but if Stack stays in goals for the rest of the season he may cost us 3-4 goals, if the roles were reversed and Maka played the remaining 28 games, well lets just say it wid be more.When Stack runs out of luck with his staying on his line routine you might change your mind :wink: ... And I don't see where you're coming from when you say Maka would cost us goals.The Aberdeen thing last year doesn't count and the Nade goal was iffy and that's about it :agree:

Judas Iscariot
02-11-2009, 01:06 PM
I would reckon this is tongue in cheek.... He isn't fantastic but reliable and just what we need :)

Clearly too Tongue in cheek for some :cool2:

JimBHibees
02-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Stack IMO seems to be getting better each game his kicking is good and he is composed on the ball which is important. Not the perfect goalie otherwise he wouldnt be at Hibs however he is exactly what we have needed a solid and reliable keeper.

JimBHibees
02-11-2009, 01:08 PM
When Stack runs out of luck with his staying on his line routine you might change your mind :wink: ... And I don't see where you're coming from when you say Maka would cost us goals.The Aberdeen thing last year doesn't count and the Nade goal was iffy and that's about it :agree:

Scottish cup game v the Junk, he toddles off his line leaving the dreadful Nade an empty net. Appalling.

Hibs Spain
02-11-2009, 01:08 PM

Clearly too Tongue in cheek for some :cool2:I only pretend to be stoopid :cool2::cool2:

Judas Iscariot
02-11-2009, 01:12 PM
I only pretend to be stoopid :cool2::cool2:

Finally!!

Nobody could really think Maka's that good without being at the wind up or pretending to be a Joey :agree:

Hibs Spain
02-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Finally!!

Nobody could really think Maka's that good without being at the wind up or pretending to be a Joey :agree:Haha..Based on the probability that you're not as smart as me.....I wasn't referring to my assessment of Maka,which is an honest one :greengrin

big-mo
02-11-2009, 01:19 PM
I don't know if Stack aready has a nickname but every since he has been at the club I have called him 'PEGS',

Why? because he never comes off his line.

Judas Iscariot
02-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Haha..Based on the probability that you're not as smart as me.....I wasn't referring to my assessment of Maka,which is an honest one :greengrin

Based on your assesment of Maka I reckon both my dugs are smarter than you..

RickyS
02-11-2009, 01:28 PM
When Stack runs out of luck with his staying on his line routine you might change your mind :wink: ... And I don't see where you're coming from when you say Maka would cost us goals.The Aberdeen thing last year doesn't count and the Nade goal was iffy and that's about it :agree:

I was only thinking of the error V St Mirren in the first game, in one of his 2 apps this season.
Hope your wrong about Stack, but I do see what you mean about staying on his line, could it be that he knows that this is his weakness and he has been asked to stay on his line and let the defenders deal with the first ball?

Hibs Spain
02-11-2009, 01:37 PM
I was only thinking of the error V St Mirren in the first game, in one of his 2 apps this season.
Hope your wrong about Stack, but I do see what you mean about staying on his line, could it be that he knows that this is his weakness and he has been asked to stay on his line and let the defenders deal with the first ball?Can't you see that the headers from crosses that have been flying over or past because he's letting the defenders deal with things are,at some stage going to start flying in? They're flying past and he's nowhere near them! I find it hard to believe that some people can't see it :confused:

RickyS
02-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Can't you see that the headers from crosses that have been flying over or past because he's letting the defenders deal with things are,at some stage going to start flying in? They're flying past and he's nowhere near them! I find it hard to believe that some people can't see it :confused:

not every goalkeeper comes for every cross though, do they? I seem to remember on saturday he plucked one out the air and also punched one?

H1bs6H3arts2 FC
02-11-2009, 01:41 PM

not much between stack & maka for me - stack is scared of crosses & maka's no very good at them :greengrin - thankfully enuff cover & competition in that position at last !!! :agree:

Craig_in_Prague
02-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Can't you see that the headers from crosses that have been flying over or past because he's letting the defenders deal with things are,at some stage going to start flying in? They're flying past and he's nowhere near them! I find it hard to believe that some people can't see it :confused:

Why would he be near headers that fly over? What is he, superman :greengrin

Seriously, this goalkeeping knocking is pathetic.
BOTH keepers are decent, Yogi prefers Stack, but we should just be pleased our goal-keeping situation looks well under control.

Petty point scoring doesn't make much sense. Every single footballer has strengths and weaknesses.
Right now, I feel confident in the defence and Stack seems to be top guy off the field too, which is very important.

So yes, he was a very good signing. :agree:

Hibs Spain
02-11-2009, 01:45 PM
not every goalkeeper comes for every cross though, do they? I seem to remember on saturday he plucked one out the air and also punched one?That's true but Maka does and the danger that otherwise would be there is gone...And bear in mind he can reach crosses at a height that Stack wouldn't reach even if he had a trampoline at his disposal :greengrin

RickyS
02-11-2009, 01:51 PM
That's true but Maka does and the danger that otherwise would be there is gone...And bear in mind he can reach crosses at a height that Stack wouldn't reach even if he had a trampoline at his disposal :greengrin

and then drop it:thumbsup:

sorry, couldnae resist it.

Danderhall Hibs
02-11-2009, 01:57 PM
the only issue I have with him is I don't ever expect to come away from winning a game and thanking Stack for making an unbelievable save or having a hugely dominant performance that doesn't allow the opposition anything.

So the game at Ibrox would have cleared up that problem for you then?

My opinion is that not coming for crosse IS a mistake. And I hate to sound negative but Stack's been incredibly lucky at not being punished for them and that luck will run out... Nothing surer!!

Shay Given must be the most fortunate keeper in the world then in your eyes?

Jonnyboy
02-11-2009, 02:03 PM

I see you're still at it :greengrin

Why doesn't it count?

Seems to me you can't lose because when Stack makes an error and he will because all keepers do, you'll hit us with 'I told you so'

RickyS
02-11-2009, 02:19 PM

Why doesn't it count?

Seems to me you can't lose because when Stack makes an error and he will because all keepers do, you'll hit us with 'I told you so'

just cos it disnae:hnet:

Cropley10
02-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Simple question: who would the Yam's rather we had in goal on Saturday??

RIP
02-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Not having seen him in the flesh yet I may be over-stating the case for Stack, but from the footage I've watched he actually looks like a proper keeper.

Personally I think he is starting to look like a bit of an arse
Even on the training pitch the cracks are beginning to show
He seems to leave a big hole in the defence
We definitely need to see more cover behind

Simple question: who would the Yam's rather we had in goal on Saturday??

Lewis Stevenson?

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Instead of talking about mistakes our keeper is making, the stack doubters are talking about mistakes he will make in the future.:faf::faf: I will settle for that.:thumbsup:

Golden Bear
02-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Haha..Based on the probability that you're not as smart as me.....I wasn't referring to my assessment of Maka,which is an honest one :greengrin

I honestly think you're in need of professional help. Perhaps your doc can point you in the right direction!

:greengrin

JimBHibees
02-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Instead of talking about mistakes our keeper is making, the stack doubters are talking about mistakes he will make in the future.:faf::faf: I will settle for that.:thumbsup:

Absolutely spot on. :greengrin

Onceinawhile
02-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Hate to be negative, but we had these exact threads about 4 games into maka's goalkeeping, about 4 games in to Andy Mcneil's goalkeeping and probably the keepers before that.

How about we wait half a season or so before judging a player?

Allant1981
02-11-2009, 06:30 PM
What howlers? Like I've said already,not coming for crosses is a mistake and when Stack starts getting punished for it they'll become howlers. The other stops he made at Ibrox were the type any pro goalie would have a chance with.He cost us the goal and two points and God knows how they didn't put three more away through his not coming off his line.. Miller's header in particular :agree: Dunno what basic mistakes you're on about either :confused:

Kicking it off players so they score. Enough said

Hibs Spain
02-11-2009, 07:51 PM

Why doesn't it count?

Seems to me you can't lose because when Stack makes an error and he will because all keepers do, you'll hit us with 'I told you so'I think it's you that's still at it.
It doesn't count because he did it deliberately.
Stack's been making errors weekly.The miracle is that he hasn't been punished.
And 'I told you so' isn't smart or clever so you won't hear that kind of cheap jibe from me :wink:

Hiber-nation
02-11-2009, 07:52 PM
I think it's you that's still at it.
And 'I told you so' isn't smart or clever so you won't hear that kind of cheap jibe from me :wink:

:faf:

You are hating this.

lEXO
02-11-2009, 08:09 PM

Why doesn't it count?

Jonny he,s already telling us that,and he,s not made any clangers yet.I dont know if i admire his man love for Maka, or hate his blinkered view on Stack.Either way as soon as Stack makes that mistake, we will hear it alright.

ancient hibee
02-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Anybody remember that clown Goram?

matty_f
02-11-2009, 09:26 PM

So Maka is a better keeper because he deliberately concedes a goal by kicking the ball of an opponent?

That is quite some logic you have there. Did you not pretend to be smart in an earlier post?:confused::greengrin

Jonnyboy
02-11-2009, 09:42 PM

Eh???? Are you saying Maka deliberately kicked the ball off Miller so as to concede a goal?

Name me a goalkeeper that doesn't make Stack type (in your eyes)errors on a regular basis?

Hibs Spain
02-11-2009, 09:51 PM

Why doesn't it count?

So Maka is a better keeper because he deliberately concedes a goal by kicking the ball of an opponent?

That is quite some logic you have there. Did you not pretend to be smart in an earlier post?:confused::greengrinYes and No ....:yawn:

Jonnyboy
02-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Yes and No ....:yawn:

I see you're even boring yourself now :wink: :greengrin

Judas Iscariot
02-11-2009, 09:56 PM

That is quite some logic you have there. Did you not pretend to be smart in an earlier post?:confused::greengrin

Yep, then shortly after he lost a battle of wits with a parrott..

blackpoolhibs
03-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Has anyone seen Maka's performances for the reserves? How's he been doing?:confused:

Mixu's Hatrick
03-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Stack is the safer option out of our 2 keepers. Yes he doesn't come off his line enough in my opinion, but if he doesn't believe he has the ability to get the ball then surely it would be better that he remains on his line? It is then up to him and the centre halves to tailor the way they defend to suit this....If you think back to Nick Colgan, he always looked a better keeper when Le God played sweeper. This was because the back 3 took most balls coming into the box and he didn't come for a great deal of them. When Blobby took over and we reverted to a flat 4 we soon saw that cross taking was a weakness in Colgan.

Stack for me does all the basics better than Maka....

1. He takes a ball / shot correctly ie into his chest. Maka catches the ball like a basketball player!

2. Stack is quick off his line and brave with it...He doesn't hesitate to put his body / head at a player's feet....If you've watched Maka you will have to agree that he can be slow to make these decisions and I'm not convinced he has the bottle to dive at a player's feet.

3. Stack seems to have the expected technique for saving shots close to his body from close range...Too many times I've seen Maka use his feet or let a shot past him because he can't get his frame down in time to save.

4. Setting up a wall for free kicks....need I say more?

5. Distribution - Again Stack just seems to know the game of football better and will make the quick throw or kick out.

As I've said earlier Maka wins easily on crosses as I think this is Stack's biggest weakness and Maka's main strength.

People have picked on Stack kicking box to box. I think you have to take that up with Yogi as he must be working to instruction. Our approach at the moment appears to be get the ball up to the last 3rd and hope that we get the 2nd ball where we will then hopefully have possession 30ish yards from goal with our 4 most gifted players.....Not what I was expecting, but Rome wasn't built in a day and we're at least going in the right direction (big difference from under rudderless Mixu).

So although I don't think Stack is Buffon, I'd certainly say that he has improved the side...and the fact he stuck his head into the Gypsies huddle makes him a legend already for me!