PDA

View Full Version : Hearts are bookies favourites for the derby

goosano
01-11-2009, 07:45 PM
See here (http://www.oddschecker.com/football/scottish/scottish-premier/hearts-v-hibernian/win-market)

6-4 Hearts
12-5 draw
7-4 Hibs

--------
01-11-2009, 07:47 PM
See here (http://www.oddschecker.com/football/scottish/scottish-premier/hearts-v-hibernian/win-market)

6-4 Hearts
12-5 draw
7-4 Hibs

Good. Let's hope the odds against us lengthen by the weekend. Much better being the underdogs.

Toaods
7/4.....'ave some.

Sammy7nil
And so they should be

Far Far better Hibs teams went to tynie and never won

The most likely out come is a draw or home win

Edinburgh Green
01-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Not sure but I think the home team in the Edinburgh/Glasgow derbies are always the very slightly shorter odds.

IWasThere2016
01-11-2009, 07:50 PM

6-4 Hearts
12-5 draw
7-4 Hibs

Good :agree:

Hibercelona
01-11-2009, 07:51 PM
And so they should be

Far Far better Hibs teams went to tynie and never won

The most likely out come is a draw or home win

If you are talking about the Mowbray era.... Hearts still had a pretty decent team back then.

But compare what we've got now.... compared to what they've got now. :jamboak:

NOLA
01-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Im happy the bookies have them as favourites, lets hope the players keep their egos in check and we go there thinking its a 50/50 game, dont want us thinking we're better than we are

Hibs Spain
01-11-2009, 08:16 PM

6-4 Hearts
12-5 draw
7-4 HibsThey have a strong side when all available even though their strikers aren't the most prolific...So let's not get cocky in public..:wink:

Alfred E Newman
01-11-2009, 08:19 PM
With a derby atmosphere and home advantage Hearts are rightly favourites. We have been bookies favourites plenty times at Easter Road and lost so here`s hoping.

NOLA
02-11-2009, 02:55 PM
12/5 the draw is a good bet

ScottB
02-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Home team is always the favourite for me, and rightly so.

That we've got more than double the points they have means nothing, didn't stop them beating Celtic and it doesn't mean they can't beat us.

Remember we stopped Burley's unbeaten side in it's tracks at ER, form means squat in these games.

Cabbage East
02-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Look at it objectively, we won the last game at Tynecastle, the chances of us winning 2 on the bounce there are extremely small. When was the last time we did that? Added to the fact that it would be 3 league wins in a row against them makes it even more unlikely. If i put a bet on it'll be the draw.

Diclonius
02-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Look at it objectively, we won the last game at Tynecastle, the chances of us winning 2 on the bounce there are extremely small. When was the last time we did that?

Added to the fact that it would be 3 league wins in a row against them makes it even more unlikely. If i put a bet on it'll be the draw.

We last did that in 1922. :bitchy:

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-11-2009, 04:14 PM
The fact that Hearts are favourites is not news. Outwith them playing either of the Old Firm at Tynie, they would always be the favourites. I would take a point just now, as a draw in the derby is never a bad result. The big difference between us just now are the implications of a defeat. For us, no great shakes as it is only[!!!] bragging rights away on loan till the return game. For them, well it would more or less put us out of sight for them ending up above us. Some Jambos were filling their boots at 2/5 for that to happen thinking it was easy money.

jonny
02-11-2009, 04:40 PM
There seems to be a wee bit tension on here with regards to the upcoming derby fixture. I'm not one for looking at stats and it really doesnt concern me that the last time we done them over 3 times in a row was 1920.

Given the current climate for both teams I cant see anything other than a Hibs win. I think the bookies are going to be very sorry they've given such good odds on Hibs.
The yams have absolutely nothing up top and we have been relatively strong at the back so I cant see them scoring - other than from a set-piece or fluke.

Our strikers are amongst the best in the country right now and I forsee a comfortable win - 3 or 4 nil for me.

Glory Glory

Jim44
02-11-2009, 05:03 PM
The pressure's on the 'favourites' to do the business. We have an outstanding chance of causing an 'upset' :greengrin but if things don't go our way we won't have lost face and, as someone said, they'll only get a loan of three points till the return game.

HibbyAndy
02-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Lets keep the chunts favourites :agree:

Nae idea why they are, but lets keep it that way.:agree:

flash
02-11-2009, 05:16 PM
There seems to be a wee bit tension on here with regards to the upcoming derby fixture. I'm not one for looking at stats and it really doesnt concern me that the last time we done them over 3 times in a row was 1920.

Given the current climate for both teams I cant see anything other than a Hibs win. I think the bookies are going to be very sorry they've given such good odds on Hibs.
The yams have absolutely nothing up top and we have been relatively strong at the back so I cant see them scoring - other than from a set-piece or fluke.

Our strikers are amongst the best in the country right now and I forsee a comfortable win - 3 or 4 nil for me.

Glory Glory

Absolutely no chance.

Speedy
02-11-2009, 05:18 PM

Glory Glory

I have a bad feeling about this post

joe breezy
02-11-2009, 06:00 PM
The best odds are double chance a draw or Hibs win pays about evens, which is pretty good considering.

I'll be having a tenner on that to pay for my beers during the match

degenerated
02-11-2009, 07:25 PM
it's going to be difficult. i can see it being similar to saturday's game in that they are going to try and kick us off the park at every opportunity. they're a big physical team so it'll be interesting seeing how we cope with that.

Col2
02-11-2009, 07:44 PM

Glory Glory

Dangerous assumptions. Yes they are poor up front but while we are in better form we are not scoring goals galore at the moment. IF we score first we are likely but not certain to win - if they score first then they will be very difficult to break down, remember we struggled to
break down nine men on Saturday.

Hibercelona
02-11-2009, 07:49 PM

Glory Glory

Isn't that what usually happens anyway?

Hainan Hibs
02-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Not suprised at all that Hearts are favourites given past derby experiences. The game is at Tynie which should make hearts favourites anyway, but in recent times the team who was on the high ("unbeatable" derby, game just after CIS Cup win, tynie last year) has went on to be on the wrong end of an embarassment.

Yogi is the man to have the players prepared mentally though :agree:

Sergey
02-11-2009, 07:54 PM
it's going to be difficult. i can see it being similar to saturday's game in that they are going to try and kick us off the park at every opportunity. they're a big physical team so it'll be interesting seeing how we cope with that.

That's my worry. Man for man they're bigger and more physical than us.

They could easily try to kick us off the park and man-muscle us at set-pieces.

It's probably the only ploy they have in unsettling our passing game.

BroxburnHibee
02-11-2009, 07:57 PM
That's my worry. Man for man they're bigger and more physical than us.

They could easily try to kick us off the park and man-muscle us at set-pieces.

Nothing new there though Serge...........they have always been a big, physical side.

Trying to kick us off the park is the ONLY tactic they ever use - unfortunately its worked a lot.

Aberdeen tried that though - and failed :wink:

degenerated
02-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Nothing new there though Serge...........they have always been a big, physical side.

Trying to kick us off the park is the ONLY tactic they ever use - unfortunately its worked a lot.

Aberdeen tried that though - and failed :wink:

i dont think aberdeen are quite as big or indeed as physical as the jamtards though

Sergey
02-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Big Zal the thug is out, but they have another ready replacement in Bouzid as a stand-in hatchet-man.

Watch for wee Susan spitting on whoever is in gobbing distance.

Black is another thug who ticks all the boxes!

Danderhall Hibs
02-11-2009, 08:39 PM
That's my worry. Man for man they're bigger and more physical than us.They could easily try to kick us off the park and man-muscle us at set-pieces.

:agree: It's like the land of the giants over there. It'll definitely be our most physical game of the season so far - Aberdeen was just a wee practice for this kick-fest.

Col2
02-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Big Zal the thug is out, but they have another ready replacement in Bouzid as a stand-in hatchet-man.

Watch for wee Susan spitting on whoever is in gobbing distance.

Black is another thug who ticks all the boxes!

I think Susan is out injured.

Pinkie
02-11-2009, 11:10 PM
I wish I could be as optimistic as some of today's posters. Don't mean to be a misery guts but I am incapable of being confident about winning a derby game.

I think that this goes back to my school days in the late 80s and early 90s when I went to derby after derby and watched Hibs somehow contrive to draw with or lose to some truly pishy hearts teams. I don't remember much about any of the games (my clearest memory is a flap at a free kick by Burridge at the Gorgie Road end to give hearts a 1-0 victory) but I seem to recall that for quite a few of them, we were the better team on paper, with the better league position and the better form going into the match. But time after time, these games would finish 1-0, 2-1, 1-1 or 0-0 (with two or three horsings thrown in for good measure).

So, all these years later, I still cannot go into a derby weekend feeling positive. Hoping for a win, always, but never quite able to believe that it will happen. Then, if it does happen, it's a nice surprise.:agree:

cockneymike
02-11-2009, 11:37 PM
I wish I could be as optimistic as some of today's posters. Don't mean to be a misery guts but I am incapable of being confident about winning a derby game.

I think that this goes back to my school days in the late 80s and early 90s when I went to derby after derby and watched Hibs somehow contrive to draw with or lose to some truly pishy hearts teams. I don't remember much about any of the games (my clearest memory is a flap at a free kick by Burridge at the Gorgie Road end to give hearts a 1-0 victory) but I seem to recall that for quite a few of them, we were the better team on paper, with the better league position and the better form going into the match. But time after time, these games would finish 1-0, 2-1, 1-1 or 0-0 (with two or three horsings thrown in for good measure).

So, all these years later, I still cannot go into a derby weekend feeling positive. Hoping for a win, always, but never quite able to believe that it will happen. Then, if it does happen, it's a nice surprise.:agree:

Pinkie - we're probably the same age and I feel exactly the same - especially the stat that it would be 3rd win on the trot in the league. All sensible money is on the draw, and quite frankly that will be fine. Keep us in at the top, keep them nr the bottom, and no momentum lost.

matty_f
03-11-2009, 01:05 AM
:agree: It's like the land of the giants over there. It'll definitely be our most physical game of the season so far - Aberdeen was just a wee practice for this kick-fest.

:agree:Spot on, DH. The sheep were cloggers, but they're nowhere near as big and physical a side as the Yams.

We need a strong referee on Saturday.

Hibercelona
03-11-2009, 01:11 AM
:agree:Spot on, DH. The sheep were cloggers, but they're nowhere near as big and physical a side as the Yams.

We need a strong referee on Saturday.

Conroy.... Could be far worse. :agree:

He was the ref in the last game there when Riordan got the penalty.

Having a debate with a yam... and he thought the penalty and sending of was very soft. :faf:

dizzy sal
03-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Im happy the bookies have them as favourites, lets hope the players keep their egos in check and we go there thinking its a 50/50 game, dont want us thinking we're better than we are

Yep. more than happy for those lot to be favourtes, just like they were against Falkirk !:wink:

Sergey
03-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Hibs are 15/8 this morning with Paddy Power.

If anyone fancies a punt, this is probably the best price you'll get.

Captain Trips
03-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Good to see an air of caution over this one, indeed Hearts are not that great but their physical strength is one of the best in SPL. However this isnt enough and their SPL position proves that. Our 2 CBs have to be on their game to deal with the challenges along with the midfield.

The ref is a key figure in this one and hopefully will make sure that it is hard but fair. This is almost Beauty and the Beast but nothing is certain.

IMHO we should be able to win we do have better players and form I hope thats enough.

Phil D. Rolls
03-11-2009, 11:45 AM
They have a strong side when all available even though their strikers aren't the most prolific...So let's not get cocky in public..:wink:

They seem to be able to respond when it comes to big games. Mind you, the fact that most of them have been told we are the wee team will probably work in our favour.

goosano
06-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Hibs are 15/8 this morning with Paddy Power.

If anyone fancies a punt, this is probably the best price you'll get.

Remarkably Hibs are now 23/10 with Paddy Power-rather tempting. Hearts as little to 5/4. Bookies must have taken a fair wedge on the Yams

Sergey
06-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Remarkably Hibs are now 23/10 with Paddy Power-rather tempting. Hearts as little to 5/4. Bookies must have taken a fair wedge on the Yams

You've read it wrong.

It's the draw that's 23/10. Hibs are 15/8 with Paddy Power (top price 2/1 with Expekt.com)

goosano
06-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Oops-you're right-thanks, Sergey

NOLA
06-11-2009, 07:57 PM
got my tenner on at 23/10, great odds! (for the draw)