PDA

View Full Version : Barr & Mulgrew for free...

007 Mickey Weir
01-11-2009, 06:44 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/8275733.stm

Both Barr and Mulgrew are out of contract in the summer. We could try and take them both for free. Move Murray to centre back.

What are peoples thoughts?

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2009, 06:45 PM
I have not seen a lot of Barr, but i liked the look of Mulgrew yesterday.

Sergey
01-11-2009, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't be too surprised if we already have a "gentlemen's agreement" in place to secure Barr's services for the start of next season.

We might even sign him in January for a nominal fee.

Sylar
01-11-2009, 06:56 PM
We're being linked with a few players just now, but I'm pretty sure it's all similar to the end of the transfer window.

I'd take one or the other, but would prefer Mulgrew to be honest, as he has an attacking side to his game, and one hell of a set piece!

007 Mickey Weir
01-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Get both on pre-contract then offer £100k for each of them.

With Bamba away for a month in Jan -

---------Nish or Benji------------

----Riordan Stokes Zemmama-----

---------Miller McBride------------

Mulgrew --Murray --Hogg ----Barr

-------------Stack----------------

Pretty good team!!!

archiebald
01-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Murray at center half nah :bitchy:

Edinburgh Green
01-11-2009, 07:04 PM
We're being linked with a few players just now, but I'm pretty sure it's all similar to the end of the transfer window.

I'd take one or the other, but would prefer Mulgrew to be honest, as he has an attacking side to his game, and one hell of a set piece!

Mulgrew wouldn't get a look in for free kicks. TBH Mulgrew looks a very average player every time i've seen him.

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Mulgrew wouldn't get a look in for free kicks. TBH Mulgrew looks a very average player every time i've seen him.

Were you not impressed yesterday? I thought he looked one of their best players.

seamus88
01-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Murray at center half nah :bitchy:
totally agree. Not his best position by a long shot! But need some centre halfs quickly, who can win balls in the air other than Bamba because hogg forgot how to get his feet off the ground n challenge for the ball yesterday.

Hibercelona
01-11-2009, 07:11 PM
totally agree. Not his best position by a long shot! But need some centre halfs quickly, who can win balls in the air other than Bamba because hogg forgot how to get his feet off the ground n challenge for the ball yesterday.

Thought Hogg had a decent game yesterday to be fair.

Never MOTM though.

PaulSmith
01-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Iain Murray has been outstanding at left back, why people want to move him from there to somewhere else I have no idea

007 Mickey Weir
01-11-2009, 07:18 PM
I agree Murray is a great LB but in Jan we lose Bamba and Hogg is poor. RB also needs sorted. So we need to do something.

bingo70
01-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Iain Murray has been outstanding at left back, why people want to move him from there to somewhere else I have no idea

:agree:

Also don't understand why people want to sign a Scottish international centre half then move him to right back? I know Barr has played there but it's not his best position, i'd rather we signed a right back to fix our right back situation

007 Mickey Weir
01-11-2009, 07:22 PM
:agree:

Also don't understand why people want to sign a Scottish international centre half then move him to right back? I know Barr has played there but it's not his best position, i'd rather we signed a right back to fix our right back situation

Sounds good, but who?? I would rather Barr replaced Hogg and we signed a class RB. But just not sure who we could get.

Murray Bamba Barr (?????)

Edinburgh Green
01-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Were you not impressed yesterday? I thought he looked one of their best players.

Thought he played alright, although he was up against a 19 year old striker playing as a right midfielder. If he didn't have his freekick nobody would pay much attention to him IMO.

Toaods
01-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Never MOTM though.

this is the problem...:wink:

Ohh, anyone else notice that McGhee doesn;t sem too upset that Mulgrew hasn't taken their 'fabulous' contract offer? perhaps realising he is already heading out of Todders at the first chance - only thought I'd mention it as ex-Falkirk stalwart Kevin Drinkell happens to be his agent.:devil:

archiebald
01-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Barr not the tallest for a c/h but never a right back :notworthy:

bingo70
01-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Sounds good, but who?? I would rather Barr replaced Hogg and we signed a class RB. But just not sure who we could get.

Murray Bamba Barr (?????)

No idea, that's yogi's job to find them :wink:

frazeHFC
01-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Both would be great signings but can't see them coming because Rangers will be after them due to their finances. Well worth a try, at least their guarenteed football at Hibs

--------
01-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Both would be great signings but can't see them coming because Rangers will be after them due to their finances. Well worth a try, at least their guarenteed football at Hibs

Mulgrew's ex-Celtic, no?

Sign 'em, line up Murray-Hogg-Barr-Mulgrew. Ian seemed to be more than comfortable on the right yesterday....

clerriehibs
01-11-2009, 07:41 PM
don't you just hate it when the old firm are sniffing about our players when they're nearing end of contract, an dthe players that do go on freedom of contract, well, at the time, they're just scm aren't they? Think of the way many Hibs fans spoke about Murray and Riordan at the time.

Edinburgh Green
01-11-2009, 07:46 PM
don't you just hate it when the old firm are sniffing about our players when they're nearing end of contract, an dthe players that do go on freedom of contract, well, at the time, they're just scm aren't they? Think of the way many Hibs fans spoke about Murray and Riordan at the time.

Human instinct, I hate when teams take our better players where as I couldn't give a toss what we do to get in players that will improve us.

frazeHFC
01-11-2009, 07:47 PM

FRes Hibbie
01-11-2009, 07:49 PM

So we can't talk about potential signings? Let's talk about something else then...er...the nights are fair drawing in.

clerriehibs
01-11-2009, 08:02 PM
So we can't talk about potential signings? Let's talk about something else then...er...the nights are fair drawing in.

no, it's a right and proper thing to talk about ... the dig was at those that gave/will give our players serious grief when they left/leave the club, especially if there's rumours about them going elsewhere beforehand.

Jones28
01-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Get both on pre-contract then offer £100k for each of them.

With Bamba away for a month in Jan -

---------Nish or Benji------------

----Riordan Stokes Zemmama-----

---------Miller McBride------------

Mulgrew --Murray --Hogg ----Barr

-------------Stack----------------

Pretty good team!!!

Great problem to have, if we were to sign Mulgrew :agree:

ancient hibee
01-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Don't undedrstand the Mulgrew interest-he was posted missing every time we went down his wing.Byrne could have gone and had a cup of tea in the time he had to cross for the first goal.

PedroEdin84
01-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Both players are players that would add depth to our squad. Especially with Bamba away for a month and possibly long term if he performs well enough. Would be a very good bit of business getting these guys in January. Wages would not even a major hit on our finances.

sambajustice
01-11-2009, 09:11 PM
no, it's a right and proper thing to talk about ... the dig was at those that gave/will give our players serious grief when they left/leave the club, especially if there's rumours about them going elsewhere beforehand.

Who's going to be wanting to leave the Famous Edinburgh Hibernians when we'll be offering Champions league football next season... :greengrin

:notworthy:

JimBHibees
01-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Thought he played alright, although he was up against a 19 year old striker playing as a right midfielder. If he didn't have his freekick nobody would pay much attention to him IMO.

Tend to agree with that thought he was average yesterday in an admittedly average Aberdeen team even allowing for them being reduced in numbers by sending off.

FRes Hibbie
01-11-2009, 09:21 PM

I think it's natural to be angry when a player moves but I think most hibs fans are more annoyed by a player badmouthing Hibs before his move (in order to engineer it quicker) or badmouthing us after they leave (in order to endear themselves with their new fans). For example, Steven Whittaker doesn't get an awful lot of hate whereas Kevin Thomson does. It's not them leaving that p!sses us off, it's often the sleekit way they do it.

IWasThere2016
01-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Don't undedrstand the Mulgrew interest-he was posted missing every time we went down his wing.Byrne could have gone and had a cup of tea in the time he had to cross for the first goal.

:agree: Mulgrew's ordinary IMHO.

Barr will be at ER in January

MyJo
01-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Mulgrew isn't anything special IMO, i would much rather have Murray signed up for another few years to play at left back with Hanlon developing as back up.

Barr will be a welcome addition in January and i would also like to see a right back signed freeing up Wotherspoon to the midfield.

Sylar
01-11-2009, 11:26 PM

Going by the amount of rumours I've heard of late, we'll be returning to desimate Falkirk in January then!

I'm willing to bet that only one of the three names I've heard will be here though, come the close of the window.

Andy74
02-11-2009, 09:27 AM

Been saying this for weeks. Mulgrew is only ever quoted due to scoring the odd free kick. As a left back? No, no thanks.

EskbankHibby
02-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Going by the amount of rumours I've heard of late, we'll be returning to desimate Falkirk in January then!

I'm willing to bet that only one of the three names I've heard will be here though, come the close of the window.

Agreed, can't imagine we will be back in for Arfield now we have Miller and a midfield unit that is performing pretty well.

Barr will come i think and as for anyone else i'll leave that to Yogi, seems to have done pretty well so far.

ano hibby
02-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Agreed, can't imagine we will be back in for Arfield now we have Miller and a midfield unit that is performing pretty well.

Barr will come i think and as for anyone else i'll leave that to Yogi, seems to have done pretty well so far.

What happens when we get injuries / suspensions..? If Miller/Zooma go on to have great seasons they may be away next summer (hope not the case). Arfield could be the right signing at the right time.

Onceinawhile
02-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Rather have Hanlon than Mulgrew as back up left back:agree:

EskbankHibby
02-11-2009, 02:02 PM
What happens when we get injuries / suspensions..? If Miller/Zooma go on to have great seasons they may be away next summer (hope not the case). Arfield could be the right signing at the right time.

All about priorities i suppose.

Not saying i wouldn't want Arfield as i think he is a very good player but he would cost reasonable money for a player who plays in an area of the park where we have a fair amount of cover (Cregg, Rankin, Thicot).

If we are going to extend ourselves financially i would prefer if we strengthened defensively because if we get injuries/suspensions to Murray or Bamba we may struggle.

Would take Arfield in a heart beat as you can never have enough good players but not a priority imo.