PDA

View Full Version : The Front 4

Winston Ingram
01-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Though our results have been good with 4 up front I don't really think it's working for the players involved.

Having 4 right up top really limits the space for forwards to move.

I think Stokes is particularly suffering. He's a striker who likes to play on the last man and run into the channels. With Deeks and Zouma already there and marked there is no where for him to go.

If Deeks and Zouma played a bit deeper I think we would be alot more dangerous

(((Fergus)))
01-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Was thinking along similar line. We have the best forwards in Scotland apparently yet are actually struggling to score.

Something isn't quite right.

007 Mickey Weir
01-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Time to bring in Nish. He offers something different. It showed straight away yesterday. Hearts will play a similar type of game as the sheep and attempt to frustrate us. They are a hard team to break down.

Spike Mandela
01-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Anyone else think Riordan has had the edge taken off of him by making him track back and tackle(or try to:wink:) in our half.

Always thought he was sharper and more lethal whilst hugging the left touchline in an advanced position.

Ed De Gramo
01-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Lets just get the Derby finished with before we start chopping and changing line ups...

500miles
01-11-2009, 07:59 PM
We've not just being picking up points - we've been performing too. If you're getting both of these things, then changing things is madness.

NAE NOOKIE
01-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Would be nuts to change a winning formula at the moment.

We dont ( touch wood ) lose many goals and perhaps its coz teams are a bit afraid to commit too many forward due to our attacking set up.

Having said that I can see the OPs point. We play with what is in affect a 4 man forward line but the return is pretty patchy when you consider that with 4 forwards we have scored more than 1 goal in only half our league games.

Perhaps the forwards do take up each others space at times which makes it harder to create clear cut scoring chances.

But as I said. Wait till it breaks before you go fixing it.

9 months ago I would have laughed my bottom off if you had said we would be 2nd in the league with 10 games played so we must be doing something right.

:thumbsup:

Winston Ingram
01-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Would be nuts to change a winning formula at the moment.

We dont ( touch wood ) lose many goals and perhaps its coz teams are a bit afraid to commit too many forward due to our attacking set up.

Having said that I can see the OPs point. We play with what is in affect a 4 man forward line but the return is pretty patchy when you consider that with 4 forwards we have scored more than 1 goal in only half our league games.

Perhaps the forwards do take up each others space at times which makes it harder to create clear cut scoring chances.

But as I said. Wait till it breaks before you go fixing it.

9 months ago I would have laughed my bottom off if you had said we would be 2nd in the league with 10 games played so we must be doing something right.

:thumbsup:

The only thing I would like him to do is drop the 2 wide players a bit deeper.

They're playing right up against the full backs. I know Hertz are rotten but they are odds on to play 5 in midfield. Mixu played 3 against their 5 in their 1st derby last yr. We're looking like playing 2:confused: