PDA

View Full Version : NHC McManus vs Driver

Mikeystewart
28-10-2009, 09:31 PM
:faf:

bathhibby
28-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Could have put a bit more oomph into it and a bit higher !

miniboco
28-10-2009, 09:35 PM
i think earlier in the game driver asked him his opinion on whether he should say yes if burley asked him to switch alliance to scotland and that was big mcmanus's answer!

gackohibs
28-10-2009, 09:36 PM

reminds me of murrays kick on mcgeady at parkhead at the end of the season before last... :) the game was on telly.

he got sent off. worth it!! :thumbsup:

Edinburgh Green
28-10-2009, 09:37 PM
not high enough!

blackpoolhibs
Should have done it a lot harder, but i have to say i nearly burst when he did it.:faf:

erskine-hibby
Thought it was a cynical challenge and he should get the book thrown at him IMHO.

Makaveli
28-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Great challenge IMO. Would have been all the better if the linesman hadn't convinced the ref it was worthy of a red :faf:

Danderhall Hibs
28-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Thought it was a cynical challenge and he should get the book thrown at him IMHO.

:agree: It was a shocker - he deserves the red card and (I think) 3 match ban.

Having said that I hope Driver's still feeling it.

7Hero
28-10-2009, 09:40 PM
disgraceful tackle, hate seeing the oldfirm behave like they are the be all and end all, that tackle smacked of that. Regardless of it being against the **** of tynie it deserved a red.

mock driver all you like, hearts played well tonight and are gonna be hard to break down in the derby, not as confident as i was after watching that.

NOLA
28-10-2009, 09:41 PM
reminded me of myself playing schools football, licence to kick:greengrin

7Hero
28-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Great challenge IMO. Would have been all the better if the linesman hadn't convinced the ref it was worthy of a red :faf:

so celtic can get away with terrible fouls at home ?? you obviously havent watched enough celtic home games have you ??

, about time they were taken to task on it, regardless of it being hearts or not, never a great challenge...

Broken Gnome
28-10-2009, 09:42 PM
disgraceful tackle, hate seeing the oldfirm behave like they are the be all and end all, that tackle smacked of that. Regardless of it being against the **** of tynie it deserved a red.

mock driver all you like, hearts played well tonight and are gonna be hard to break down in the derby, not as confident as i was after watching that.

I'll go with that, typical thuggery. The look McManus gave him bordered on evil.

Removed
28-10-2009, 09:42 PM

:agree:

Woody1985
28-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Couldn't handle the fact that they were about to get pumped out and took him out.

How the **** did the ref think that was a yellow FFS!

I'm no driver fan but he was going no where near the ball. Hope he gets a 3 game ban. Who they got coming up in the league?

woody47
28-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Ridiculous tackle. Never had any intention of going for the ball and what made it worse was that clown Thomson thought it only merited a yellow and it was only after the linesman intervened that he got the red.

HIBERNIAN-0762
28-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Missed his neck by a mile!

:greengrin

fife hfc
28-10-2009, 09:47 PM

Agree they looked fairly solid tonight but not one of celtic's forward players would get any where near the hibs line up at the moment, including McCourt. also I believe we have far better players in the centre of midfield with miller and Mcbride compared to N'guemo (who looks piss) and crosas.

Simply put we played celtic at the wrong time (Zemmama and benji observing ramadan, stokes still getting up to speed and miller not signed) and if we played them now I would be confident of winning.

James Connolly
28-10-2009, 09:48 PM
No need for the challenge; Driver would've made a horses arse of it anyway.

Can't believe the ref originally thought it only worthy of a yellow card!:confused:

Dunbar Hibee
28-10-2009, 09:48 PM
complete dive:wink:

erskine-hibby
28-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Can't wait for jack reagan to come on and defend him...
"We are being picked on...we have the best fans in the world...there are no bigots or thugs at celic"
Nah! just the ones on the pitch eh??

Mikey
28-10-2009, 10:00 PM

No. But if you want your user name changed just PM an admin.

It's 'orrible :greengrin

down-the-slope
28-10-2009, 10:11 PM
What about the ref..how could any ref ever consider that was a yellow card..the ball had long gone and was as cynical as I have ever seen.

Thank goodness for the linesman for not letting it go..shocking regardless of who it was against. No team or player should ever be above the laws of the game

Ed De Gramo
28-10-2009, 10:13 PM
:agree: It was a shocker - he deserves the red card and (I think) 3 match ban.

Having said that I hope Driver's still feeling it.

PC Stamp
28-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Dirty, cynical, pre meditated attempt to hit the player with no attempt to even make it look like he wanted the ball. Rarely do you see a ref have the bottle to produce a red for that. They should though, every time. Cloggers like McManus have no place in football.

That said, Thomson WOULD have bottled it without a little help from his assistant!

sambajustice
28-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Whats wrong with it?

I've done many of similar ones on a sunday morning and only been booked at most!

"Just a little late ref, sorry! Wont happen again!" :greengrin

rightwinger
28-10-2009, 10:16 PM
I thought it was a booking initially but it certainly should have been a sending off.

No intention to play the ball, miles late and reckless. Credit to the linesman for making sure the ref got it right.

McManus has always been that type of player, although I must admit his recent performances have been much poorer than I remembered. Celtic really are struggling at the back.

I admit that I was never euphoric about Brown and Thomson and Whittaker etc when they were with us. They were decent players but by no means off the wall brilliant as a lot of Hibs fans seemed to think. The OF are now in big trouble and they're relying on a bunch of ex Hibs players to get them out of jail domestically and beyond. I saw these guys get the runaround enough times from Falkirk when playing for us to know that's not going to happen.

Sir David Gray
28-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Maybe I'm totally wrong here but I wasn't aware that a referee could change his mind by first of all giving a yellow card and then changing his mind and giving a red card instead.

Don't get me wrong, the linesman was correct to advise the referee that McManus should be sent off for that tackle but Thomson immediately gave him a booking and then the linesman called him over to tell him that it was worthy of a red card.

Anyone know the ruling on this type of thing? :confused:

NOLA
28-10-2009, 10:32 PM
No need for the challenge; Driver would've made a horses arse of it anyway.

Can't believe the ref originally thought it only worthy of a yellow card!:confused:

but he did have the guts to speak to the linesman and take his advice and produce the red so well done thomson

PC Stamp
28-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Maybe I'm totally wrong here but I wasn't aware that a referee could change his mind by first of all giving a yellow card and then changing his mind and giving a red card instead.

Don't get me wrong, the linesman was correct to advise the referee that McManus should be sent off for that tackle but Thomson immediately gave him a booking and then the linesman called him over to tell him that it was worthy of a red card.

Anyone know the ruling on this type of thing? :confused:

Provided that play hasn't re-started the ref is perfectly entitled to review his decision in his own mind or with some help from his assistants and duly amend it.

IWasThere2016
28-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Cellic have some mince .. McAnus, Soldwell and Giorgio Trannyass are nowhere near good enough.

Fear not tho TM's bound to give them new contracts ala Ziggy :greengrin

jgl07
28-10-2009, 11:27 PM

Threaten him with a pink colour scheme if he doesn't!

Sir David Gray
28-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Provided that play hasn't re-started the ref is perfectly entitled to review his decision in his own mind or with some help from his assistants and duly amend it.

Cheers. :aok:

So I take it that could work in reverse then in that a referee could give a player a straight red card, the player could already be down the tunnel and then the linesman calls him over and tells him that the foul was only worthy of a booking and then he calls the player back onto the pitch in time for play restarting?

Saorsa
28-10-2009, 11:34 PM
:faf:If he was going tae risk getting himself sent off he should have booted him a lot harder.

Delboy4
28-10-2009, 11:38 PM
I was wanting Smeltic to get the equaliser butafter that tackle I thought ***** you ya weegie barstewards, the tackle was out of order, who does McManus think he is, just because he plays for the Glasgow team! Remember, if It was a Hibby he tackled we want to run on the pitch and half the c***...!

Jonnyboy
29-10-2009, 12:00 AM
To those of you serious about it being a great tackle that should have been higher, ask yourself this .... would you hold the same view if he did it to Zemmama? I think not.

McManus should get both a healthy ban and a fine - no attempt to play the ball whatsoever and could have broken Driver's leg :bitchy:

Removed
29-10-2009, 12:03 AM
To those of you serious about it being a great tackle that should have been higher, ask yourself this .... would you hold the same view if he did it to Zemmama? I think not.

McManus should get both a healthy ban and a fine - no attempt to play the ball whatsoever and could have broken Driver's leg :bitchy:

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

joebakerforever
29-10-2009, 12:12 AM

Sadly we have some on here who are as bitter & twisted as their counterparts on Kickback.

We've seen McManus inflict GBH on our guys and get away with it, so I'm glad he was done by the ref.

Woody1985
29-10-2009, 12:17 AM
but he did have the guts to speak to the linesman and take his advice and produce the red so well done thomson

Good on him for that. However, if you didn't and it came out the the linesman had told him it was a red card and he ignored him there would have been uproar against the ref as the linesman was 5 metres away.

IMO he never really had any choice. If the linesman was weak he wouldn't have given it another thought.

Woody1985
29-10-2009, 12:19 AM
Cheers. :aok:

So I take it that could work in reverse then in that a referee could give a player a straight red card, the player could already be down the tunnel and then the linesman calls him over and tells him that the foul was only worthy of a booking and then he calls the player back onto the pitch in time for play restarting?

Yes, but the ref would need to be strong as would the linesman.

SunshineOnLeith
29-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Don't see what people are complaining about calling for further action to be taken. He knew what he was doing, stopping driver through to make the game safe. Red.card offense, and that's what he got, eventually.

HIBERNIALEITH
29-10-2009, 12:39 AM

Just had a ****bo mate on Facebook saying "cynical" challenge! I thought I knew a lot about footy, but what does this mean? :thumbsup:

passionatehibby
29-10-2009, 02:45 AM
Made no attempt to go for the ball. If you did something like that in the street you would be up court charged with assault.

You can see the tackle here -

http://rs703tl.rapidshare.com/files/299276419/mcmanus.gif

NOLA
29-10-2009, 03:43 AM
McManus obviously is'nt a ST Tams Bam like me, we would have known which ankle to tackle fairly:wink:

Rory89
29-10-2009, 05:38 AM
Fair tackle, he got the ball imo.

Hibs90
29-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Made no attempt to go for the ball. If you did something like that in the street you would be up court charged with assault.

You can see the tackle here -

http://rs703tl.rapidshare.com/files/299276419/mcmanus.gif

:faf: Hope it hurt the wee prick. :agree:

sean
29-10-2009, 08:24 AM
certain red card

made no attempt to get the ball

Mikeystewart
29-10-2009, 08:28 AM

Didn't even know there was a player with the same name as me till i signed up to .net was shocked when i heard he played for hearts :boo hoo:

EskbankHibby
29-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Disgraceful challenge and if it happened to a Hibby we would all be raging, hope he gets banned for 5 games.

micksoo
29-10-2009, 08:31 AM
I thought he got the ball :wink:

erskine-hibby
29-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Just had a ****bo mate on Facebook saying "cynical" challenge! I thought I knew a lot about footy, but what does this mean? :thumbsup:

It means he had a cynical attitude towards getting the ball, in other words he had a negative attitude towards getting the ball, he went for the man on purpose.
Hope that clears it up for you.

dangermouse
29-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Had the tackle been at the other end and a Hearts player had taken out, say McGeady, Craig Thomson would have gone for the red card straight away.

Double standards when playing the OF. Well done to the linseman (although which lodge was he from :wink:) for pointing it out to the ref.

On the point of the forthcoming derby, I think the only time the Celtic keeper was tested was at the penalty. Hearts had 11 men behind the ball and stifled Celtic. I would imagine they will be more "attacking" on their home patch allowing the likes of Zemmama, Riordan and Benji to get in behind the defence for Stokes to claim his first Hibee hat trick. :greengrin

lapsedhibee
29-10-2009, 08:48 AM

"Cynical" in fitba commentary seems to have its own special meaning. In real life it's about suspecting that other people are acting with selfish motives, but in fitba that doesn't make any sense at all. I reckon a numpty commentator at some point needed a euphemism for "dirty", just plucked a random word from his vocabulary and it's stuck. Just as "went to ground easily" is euphemism for "dived", "cynical" has become euphemism for "dirty".

Al_Bundy
29-10-2009, 08:55 AM
On the point of the forthcoming derby, I think the only time the Celtic keeper was tested was at the penalty. Hearts had 11 men behind the ball and stifled Celtic. I would imagine they will be more "attacking" on their home patch allowing the likes of Zemmama, Riordan and Benji to get in behind the defence for Stokes to claim his first Hibee hat trick. :greengrin

The only time the Jambos looked dangerous was when the cross field hoof found driver, and that was only because Fox was 30yards behind him. Saying that how many crosses did Driver actually put in? He won a couple corners.

There is no way Driver will get that much space from our full backs, even if we are chasing the game.

ahibby
29-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Worthy of a straight red despite not being the last defender. His tackle was basically a physical assault of the ball.

Andy74
29-10-2009, 10:37 AM
I didn't see anything wrong with the tackle at all. I'm sure he'll appeal.

JackRegan
29-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Can't wait for jack reagan to come on and defend him...
"We are being picked on...we have the best fans in the world...there are no bigots or thugs at celic"
Nah! just the ones on the pitch eh??

You clearly either don't read or understand any of my posts then. I actually think you have a bit of an obsession with me. :greengrin

Everyone could see it was a red card and that should be the end of it.

erskine-hibby
29-10-2009, 10:44 AM
You clearly either don't read or understand any of my posts then. I actually think you have a bit of an obsession with me. :greengrin

Nah mate just trying to wind you up:greengrin

H1bs6H3arts2 FC
29-10-2009, 10:59 AM
aye, poor show mcmanus, he's still walking - big sol wouldn't be so sloppy !!! :duck:

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2009, 11:04 AM
I saw Erich Shaedler do that kind of tackle many many times, and we all thought it was great at the time. As for McManus last night, he never kicked the wee turd hard enough for me.

mim
29-10-2009, 11:12 AM
I saw Erich Shaedler do that kind of tackle many many times, and we all thought it was great at the time. As for McManus last night, he never kicked the wee turd hard enough for me.

Not when the ball was 10 yards away. Well not often, anyway. :wink:

greenlex
29-10-2009, 11:16 AM

No it shouldn't.
If that happened in any other walk of life then it would be assualt. McManus should be charged with assault in this case. He was obviously just pissed that your lot were going to be beaten and it had no footballing justifiation at all. There is no justification for attacking someone like that that I can see.
If the full weight of the law is good enough for Duncan Ferguson them McManus should be jailed. All IMHO likes. :grr:

Could have finished Drivers International career before it even started.

Hibby 2005
29-10-2009, 11:17 AM
If that tackle which was actually an assault had been made on Zemmama we would have been outraged and rightly so. A potential career-ending piece of thuggery.

SloopJB
29-10-2009, 11:17 AM
I'd have to say I was shocked that celtic were forced to resorting to such tactics. the majority of the game was a dire display of missed passes and poor finishing.
Of course I admit to being ambivilant when looking at other teams therefore don't really care who wins but I can still recognise a good football match when I see one. Last night's game was not good.

At least all the other teams in the SPL should get a lift from that match in seeing there is nothing to fear from either team, not to say we will easily beat them, just nothing to fear.

hearts bullied and hurried their way through the game while celtic passed to players regardless of the colour of shirt they wore.

That particular tackle is more a sign of the depths celtic have dropped to as much as the lack of skill mcm anus has.

Andy74
29-10-2009, 11:20 AM
If that tackle which was actually an assault had been made on Zemmama we would have been outraged and rightly so. A potential career-ending piece of thuggery.

Disagree. Driver was away past him and could have finished the game off. It was obviously deliberate and miles away from the ball but it wasn't an assault of any kind. It was to stop him getting in on goal, that was it.

copycat
29-10-2009, 11:22 AM

You have to be kidding, hearts were rank rotten and if its wasnt for the inept ability by celtics strikers they woudl have got a hiding, Driver was head and shoulders above anyone, the rest were ver, very poor

johnrebus
29-10-2009, 11:26 AM
I was wanting Smeltic to get the equaliser butafter that tackle I thought ***** you ya weegie barstewards, the tackle was out of order, who does McManus think he is, just because he plays for the Glasgow team! Remember, if It was a Hibby he tackled we want to run on the pitch and half the c***...!

I remember this thug taking out Fletcher during a game at ER a couple of years ago and not even getting booked.

As a result Fletch missed the next couple of games IICR.

Its a pity thast someone like Roy Barry is not around anymore to have a quiet word on his ear ( Or knee in the groin ) ..........,

:grr:

dangermouse
29-10-2009, 11:28 AM
No it shouldn't.
If that happened in any other walk of life then it would be assualt. McManus should be charged with assault in this case. He was obviously just pissed that your lot were going to be beaten and it had no footballing justifiation at all. There is no justification for attacking someone like that that I can see.
If the full weight of the law is good enough for Duncan Ferguson them McManus should be jailed. All IMHO likes. :grr:

:faf::faf::faf:

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2009, 11:37 AM

:greengrin Erich always got there as soon as he could.:wink:

JackRegan
29-10-2009, 11:47 AM
No it shouldn't.

Stop being such a bed wetter. Tackles like that were part and parcel of teh game for donkey's years and continue to be so at amateur and Junior level.

they even happen in other Scottish League games and in leagues around the world. By your logic, we'll also have a polis at every game watching the players. I won't even start on what happens on a rugby pitch or Ice Hockey rink.

As for Duncan Feerguson - he had plenty of previous. :agree:

Ed De Gramo
29-10-2009, 12:25 PM
No it shouldn't.

Is that such a bad thing? :duck::greengrin

3pm
29-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Stop being such a bed wetter. Tackles like that were part and parcel of teh game for donkey's years and continue to be so at amateur and Junior level.

they even happen in other Scottish League games and in leagues around the world. By your logic, we'll also have a polis at every game watching the players. I won't even start on what happens on a rugby pitch or Ice Hockey rink.

I agree with you to an extent. Tackles that do happen a lot of the time but it doesn't justify last night it was a shocker.

However, McManus also has previous as you put it although not in the sense that Duncan Ferguson had - McManus broke the leg of some Falkirk boy when Hughes was in charge. I'll never forget him trying to take Boozy out at ER (Game finished 2-2. Think we were 2 up and cruising) but Boozy made him look daft. Anyone with less ability would have ended up on a stretcher.

Some of the tackles that you see him attempting are ridiculous. He's a dud and tries to be a hard man to compensate for that....he's a thug. End of.

Argylehibby
29-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Disagree. Driver was away past him and could have finished the game off. It was obviously deliberate and miles away from the ball but it wasn't an assault of any kind. It was to stop him getting in on goal, that was it.

If it had been a trip I'd agree with you but it wasn't. it was a full blooded kick and merits more than a "professional foul" tag. It was violent conduct and he should be dealt with as such.

It will be interesting to see if he is banned from the w/e league game or not, if the ref reports it as violent conduct he will have the weekend off.

silverhibee
29-10-2009, 12:46 PM

Agree. But still worthy of a 3 match ban.

silverhibee
29-10-2009, 12:49 PM
You have to be kidding, hearts were rank rotten and if its wasnt for the inept ability by celtics strikers they woudl have got a hiding, Driver was head and shoulders above anyone, the rest were ver, very poor

I thought Driver was rank rotten last night. IMO.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-10-2009, 12:56 PM
That was an assualt that had nothing to do with football and more to do with a bigger and more physically powerfull man looking to hurt another person. I really hope that the lesser greens trot out the conspiracy theories. If they tell us that behaviour like this is acceptable, then they are telling us what kind of people they are. The trouble with McAnus and Caldwell just now is that TM's style can lead to losing the ball and exposing players at the back, and those two just don't cut it.

brythehibby
29-10-2009, 01:03 PM
That was an assualt that had nothing to do with football and more to do with a bigger and more physically powerfull man looking to hurt another person. I really hope that the lesser greens trot out the conspiracy theories. If they tell us that behaviour like this is acceptable, then they are telling us what kind of people they are. The trouble with McAnus and Caldwell just now is that TM's style can lead to losing the ball and exposing players at the back, and those two just don't cut it.

Exactly. The 2 of them are being found out big time this season.

As for the tackle, its shocking, shows mcmanus for what he is, a thug. Regardless of the player/team it was against, i'd never wish a tackle like that on any player. Throw the book at him. :agree:

Cabbage East
29-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Good old fashioned challenge. Great stuff.

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2009, 01:17 PM
As i have said earlier, we had a player called Erich Shaedler, who would do that kind of tackle most weeks. I dont remember any outrage against him at the time. IMHO it was a fantastic tackle, ok a bit late,:wink: but remember who it was against. I believe each team that plays hearts, should be allowed at least 4 challenges a game like that one, and maybe another 4 for good measure.:greengrin

Kaiser_Sauzee
29-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Disgusting challenge - straight red. Referee a disgrace.

Jonnyboy
29-10-2009, 01:26 PM
As i have said earlier, we had a player called Erich Shaedler, who would do that kind of tackle most weeks. I dont remember any outrage against him at the time. IMHO it was a fantastic tackle, ok a bit late,:wink: but remember who it was against. I believe each team that plays hearts, should be allowed at least 4 challenges a game like that one, and maybe another 4 for good measure.:greengrin

You're doing Erich a disservice here G. He was tough as old boots and hard in the challenge but fair for the most part. I probably watched the vast majority of Erich's games for Hibs and can't recall him ever being that late!

BSEJVT
29-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Certain Red Card.

Made sure he was bringing him down.

I didnt think though that it was a tackle designed to maim or hurt.

He was so slow and beaten so easily though

Hibs90
29-10-2009, 01:30 PM
You're doing Erich a disservice here G. He was tough as old boots and hard in the challenge but fair for the most part. I probably watched the vast majority of Erich's games for Hibs and can't recall him ever being that late!

Is there a Hibs game you haven't missed Jonny?:greengrin

JackRegan
29-10-2009, 01:32 PM
I agree with you to an extent. Tackles that do happen a lot of the time but it doesn't justify last night it was a shocker.

However, McManus also has previous as you put it although not in the sense that Duncan Ferguson had - McManus broke the leg of some Falkirk boy when Hughes was in charge. I'll never forget him trying to take Boozy out at ER (Game finished 2-2. Think we were 2 up and cruising) but Boozy made him look daft. Anyone with less ability would have ended up on a stretcher.

Some of the tackles that you see him attempting are ridiculous. He's a dud and tries to be a hard man to compensate for that....he's a thug. End of.

McManus is a thug with guys who are smaller than him. He will always be bullied by anyone of similar height.

At times I wish he was an out and out thug.

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2009, 01:37 PM

You are probably right John, he was fair most of the time,:wink: but he could put in the odd challenge like last nights. He had most wingers frightened to death, because he was capable of putting them, the ball and anything else that got in his way into the 2nd row of the stand.:greengrin A great player may i add.:thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
29-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Is there a Hibs game you haven't missed Jonny?:greengrin

A few :wink:

BSEJVT
29-10-2009, 02:01 PM
McManus is a thug with guys who are smaller than him. He will always be bullied by anyone of similar height.

At times I wish he was an out and out thug.

McManus is utter crap

Its scary that he is a Scottish International, but then so is Caldwell.

Celtc have so many totally average players and some absolute crap players just now that its unreal.

Didnt watch all the game last night but 2nd half only.

Other than McGeady who did okay,

Celtc were brutal. Ha *****in ha

Jonnyboy
29-10-2009, 02:18 PM
McManus is utter crap

Its scary that he is a Scottish International, but then so is Caldwell.

Celtc have so many totally average players and some absolute crap players just now that its unreal.

Didnt watch all the game last night but 2nd half only.

Other than McGeady who did okay,

Celtc were brutal. Ha *****in ha

I thought he was poor. One trick pony who rarely lifts his head to look for a better placed team mate

ancient hibee
29-10-2009, 03:55 PM
I think your memory is playing tricks.Schaedler was hard as nails but deliberate kicks were not part of his game.

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2009, 04:35 PM
I think your memory is playing tricks.Schaedler was hard as nails but deliberate kicks were not part of his game.

Not really, i remember shades launching a rangers player, cant remember who,(McDonald)?? in the early 70s, very similar to last nights incident. Erich could dish it out, a very hard player, a fair player, but he did not mind giving the odd one out now and again imho.

bighairyfaeleith
29-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Shocking challenge, deserved to be sent off, but more to the point, celtic are now a player down for at least one game and they can't afford to be a player down so might just drop a point or two in the league. And the fact driver got a wee kick was a bit funny, but most definitely not condoned even if he is a jambo runt :wink:

MSK
29-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Not really, i remember shades launching a rangers player, cant remember who,(McDonald)?? in the early 70s, very similar to last nights incident. Erich could dish it out, a very hard player, a fair player, but he did not mind giving the odd one out now and again imho.Yip, i remember him launching a huns player up in the air..i thought it was Colin Mcadam..however i dont think it was a cynical tackle ..it was ball & man ..nae real harm in that ..:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
29-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Yip, i remember him launching a huns player up in the air..i thought it was Colin Mcadam..however i dont think it was a cynical tackle ..it was ball & man ..nae real harm in that ..:greengrin

I can remember one. Must have been near the end of his second spell. Against Aberdeen, or maybe Dundee. :greengrin Played the ball out of defence, as I saw it DELIBERATELY to Strachan who was standing 10 yards away. Followed up with a cruncher, man and ball.

I was appalled, delighted and amused all in one.

jdships
29-10-2009, 05:08 PM

Sorry you must have been watching a different E S to the one I knew and watched.
Can only remember one really bad/late tackle that earned a "red card" and that was at East End Park against Dunf'n.
Erich had pace that Mcmanus doesn't have and was very seldom late in the tackle .

:bye:

For what its worth last night's "red card" IMO was 100 % correct

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Sorry you must have been watching a different E S to the one I knew and watched.
Can only remember one really bad/late tackle that earned a "red card" and that was at East End Park against Dunf'n.
Erich had pace that Mcmanus doesn't have and was very seldom late in the tackle .

:bye:

For what its worth last night's "red card" IMO was 100 % correct

Are you off?:confused: No i watched the same Shades as you did, i know i did, as he was never out our house, a very good family friend was Erich. One of the things he specialised in was crunching tackles, but again a few of you are looking back through green tinted glasses. He was also one of the first players i can remember who tackled players off the ball, with his body checking halting players runs. As i have said, 99% of the time, his tackles were hard fair challenges, but i remember him putting it about when he had to.

Hibby 2005
29-10-2009, 05:24 PM
"Hard but fair" summed up Erich, "thug" sums up McManus.

hibbybrian
29-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Are you off?:confused: No i watched the same Shades as you did, i know i did, as he was never out our house, a very good family friend was Erich. One of the things he specialised in was crunching tackles, but again a few of you are looking back through green tinted glasses. He was also one of the first players i can remember who tackled players off the ball, with his body checking halting players runs. As i have said, 99% of the time, his tackles were hard fair challenges, but i remember him putting it about when he had to.

Off on a bit of a tangent here but it's been quoted that Ned decided that the Tornadoes weren't good enough and needed rebuilding after the 3-0 defeat to Hajuk Split in the Quarter Finals of the Cup Winners Cup in 1973 - Brownlie was out with a broken leg and Erich missed the match - full backs were Des Bremner and Billy McEwan - I don't think we would have lost 3-0 with Erich and JB in the team - the rest is history :boo hoo:

HibbyKeith
29-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Mcmanus all over tbh. have said for a couple of seasons now that he will eventually break someones leg and i stand by it.

Agree with most on here, straight red, 3 match ban, and a hefty fine to boot, would be proper pissed if ANY hibs player was on the receiving end of a "tackle" like that.

I've only read the current bun today and there was no big deal made of the challenge, could you imagine the media if big sol had done the same to aiden mcgreedy? .. uproar!

Jonnyboy
29-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Just watched the tackle again and it's even worse than I thought. McManus didn't just trip Driver, he scythed him down at knee height. The book should be well and truly thrown at him

creebo1875
29-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Good old fashioned challenge. Great stuff.

:confused: i hope your being sarcastic, how anyone can say that was a "good old fashioned challenge" is beyond me. Nowhere near the ball INFACT no intention of getting the ball. His growling face whilst he is swinging a leg at driver says it all.

If that was aimed at one of our players EVERYBODY would be baying for blood.

BSEJVT
29-10-2009, 07:21 PM
I thought he was poor. One trick pony who rarely lifts his head to look for a better placed team mate

Opinions eh

Whilst his end product is often limited, he looked like the only guy Celtc had capable of going past a player.

CapitalHibs
29-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Anyone got a link for overseas viewers?

rightwinger
29-10-2009, 08:42 PM
It was a brutal challenge that has no place in the modern game. At that pace, serious injury could have been caused to Driver.

There's nothing hard about playing like a thug, threatening careers. One of our ex-captains - Jim Brown - also an ex Hearts player - had his career ended by some hardcase idiot when he was playing for Dunfermline in the 1980's. Don't know if John Brownlie was ever the same again after he got crunched the week after 7-0.

If a player's been at the wind-up or niggling or whatever I can understand it to an extent, but McManus's challenge was just thuggery. It's ironic that he's probably only established himself at Celtic because of John Kennedy's inability to properly recover from a similarly shocking challenge when playing for Scotland.

CropleyWasGod
29-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Anyone got a link for overseas viewers?

Driver is still up in the air, but should be landing over your way quite soon.

LamontHFC©
29-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Opinions eh

Whilst his end product is often limited, he looked like the only guy Celtc had capable of going past a player.

Paddy McCourt no?

jdships
29-10-2009, 10:56 PM

How am I off ? : confused.
Why do you have to be rude can you not discuss things like a normal person.?
I too knew ES right from his youth in Biggar and he remained a close family friend up to his untimely death
Yes he was hard yes he put in a few "crunchers" but green tinted glasses - oh dear :greengrin
I watched him progress as a player during his year at Stirling Albion and he actually came and asked my advise before signing for Hibs .
He visited my home on a regular basis and every Christmas there were presents for my children ( now in their 40's) the last time five days before he died.

:confused:

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2009, 11:44 PM
How am I off ? : confused.
Why do you have to be rude can you not discuss things like a normal person.?
I too knew ES right from his youth in Biggar and he remained a close family friend up to his untimely death
Yes he was hard yes he put in a few "crunchers" but green tinted glasses - oh dear :greengrin
I watched him progress as a player during his year at Stirling Albion and he actually came and asked my advise before signing for Hibs .
He visited my home on a regular basis and every Christmas there were presents for my children ( now in their 40's) the last time five days before he died.

:confused:
Rude, you were the one with the :bye: You obviously knew him too, he had the pub on the corner of easter road and thorntree street, we lived on thorntree street, and my dad worked for him. He had a few dinners at our home as well. Yes he put some crunchers in, and he also knew how to sort out an opponent, not always fairly. To say otherwise is just wrong. It was a different game then, and tackles like the one McManus made were fairly normal then, we just dont see them nearly enough these days.

Mag7
29-10-2009, 11:53 PM
For those of you with long memories, I'd have been more than happy to see Dave Beaumont put in a similar challenge on Wayne Foster in the Scottish Cup tie at Easter Road back in 1994. In fact Beaumont came in for a lot of criticism from Hibs fans at the time for NOT scything the wee **** down. Don't recall many praising his sense of fair play. If he'd chopped him down we'd have had a replay (the least we deserved after a game we completely dominated). As it was, by not committing the last-man foul he handed a pish striker everlasting fame in the eyes of Hearts fans and effectively scuppered our cup hopes.

So, in that light, I think these type of 'cynical' fouls will always have their place. OK, there's no need to go in with the intention of injuring the player (and I don't actually think McManus did so), but IMHO there ain't nothing wrong with chopping him down if it's going to keep your side in the game.

Just depends on how strong your view of sportsmanship is I guess. With regard to last night's tackle, I would simply say 'take that ya wee yam fud' :wink:

Jonnyboy
29-10-2009, 11:55 PM
It was a brutal challenge that has no place in the modern game. At that pace, serious injury could have been caused to Driver.

There's nothing hard about playing like a thug, threatening careers. One of our ex-captains - Jim Brown - also an ex Hearts player - had his career ended by some hardcase idiot when he was playing for Dunfermline in the 1980's. Don't know if John Brownlie was ever the same again after he got crunched the week after 7-0.

If a player's been at the wind-up or niggling or whatever I can understand it to an extent, but McManus's challenge was just thuggery. It's ironic that he's probably only established himself at Celtic because of John Kennedy's inability to properly recover from a similarly shocking challenge when playing for Scotland.

IIRC it was John Pelosi that did Brown

As to Brownlie, the challenge that broke his leg was entirely accidental and so maybe it's unfair to compare it to hacker McManus :agree:

NOLA
30-10-2009, 12:09 AM
:confused: i hope your being sarcastic, how anyone can say that was a "good old fashioned challenge" is beyond me. Nowhere near the ball INFACT no intention of getting the ball. His growling face whilst he is swinging a leg at driver says it all.

If that was aimed at one of our players EVERYBODY would be baying for blood.

but it was against a jambo, big deal

blackpoolhibs
30-10-2009, 12:20 AM
For those of you with long memories, I'd have been more than happy to see Dave Beaumont put in a similar challenge on Wayne Foster in the Scottish Cup tie at Easter Road back in 1994. In fact Beaumont came in for a lot of criticism from Hibs fans at the time for NOT scything the wee **** down. Don't recall many praising his sense of fair play. If he'd chopped him down we'd have had a replay (the least we deserved after a game we completely dominated). As it was, by not committing the last-man foul he handed a pish striker everlasting fame in the eyes of Hearts fans and effectively scuppered our cup hopes.

So, in that light, I think these type of 'cynical' fouls will always have their place. OK, there's no need to go in with the intention of injuring the player (and I don't actually think McManus did so), but IMHO there ain't nothing wrong with chopping him down if it's going to keep your side in the game.

Just depends on how strong your view of sportsmanship is I guess. With regard to last night's tackle, I would simply say 'take that ya wee yam fud' :wink:

:top marks:agree:

BSEJVT
30-10-2009, 07:33 AM
IIRC it was John Pelosi that did Brown

As to Brownlie, the challenge that broke his leg was entirely accidental and so maybe it's unfair to compare it to hacker McManus :agree:

Long time ago Jonnyboy and I would be about 10 or 11 years old, but thats not how I remebered it?

I think it was Johnny Love of East Fife?

I think I remember there being quite a bit of anger about the tackle at the time and thereafter.

I spoke to Dave Gorman, ex East Fife goalie about it a couple of years back and mentioned that tackle and he said something along the lines that Love was a dirty wee bassa at the best of times.

Andy74
30-10-2009, 08:57 AM

Good example and I agree totally. He just meant to stop him going any further, nothing more nothing less.

Hibby 2005
30-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Good example and I agree totally. He just meant to stop him going any further, nothing more nothing less.

You must have missed the look of sheer hatred in his face then? :greengrin

brog
30-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Long time ago Jonnyboy and I would be about 10 or 11 years old, but thats not how I remebered it?

I think it was Johnny Love of East Fife?

I think I remember there being quite a bit of anger about the tackle at the time and thereafter.

I spoke to Dave Gorman, ex East Fife goalie about it a couple of years back and mentioned that tackle and he said something along the lines that Love was a dirty wee bassa at the best of times.

You're confused. it was Ian Printy, a good Hibby, as is his boy who posts on here. It was entirely accidental, was actually caused by JB overrunning the ball & lunging forward. Ian was distraught & visited JB in hospital that night.
Johnny Love was engaged in running fights with Alex Edwards, on & off the pitch, most notably in the Rutland Bar! Edwards got booked in same game & received an 8 game/week suspension. We lost 2/3 of our right wing axis, Paddy was the 3rd, in one game & never recovered.

brog
30-10-2009, 09:29 AM

You're absolutely right John but I do remember one classic Erich moment when Johnny Doyle, then of Ayr United wound Erich up all night. Doyle was on right wing playing downhill when he cut inside Erich but didn't get away from him. Erich chased him right across the park with everyone else getting out the way until he reached the old enclosure in front of North stand where Erich booted him right across the wall. The whole ground, including both sets of players were falling about laughing. It was like a Tom & Jerry cartoon. Absolutely brilliant, Erich, what a man.

sadtom
30-10-2009, 09:36 AM
I remember Shades and Jackie Mac (who was nae softie himself) having a sickening head clash at ER. JM got carried off, Shades bounced straight back up. I swear the guy had a rubber erchie!
Hard as nails. But a real hard man, not a liberty taking fanjita like Vinnie Jones et al. Shades would risk injury to himself for the cause. He was the personification of 'putting your body on the line.'

p.s. still love his tackle that leads to the 7th goal at swiney.

BSEJVT
30-10-2009, 09:42 AM
You're confused. it was Ian Printy, a good Hibby, as is his boy who posts on here. It was entirely accidental, was actually caused by JB overrunning the ball & lunging forward. Ian was distraught & visited JB in hospital that night.
Johnny Love was engaged in running fights with Alex Edwards, on & off the pitch, most notably in the Rutland Bar! Edwards got booked in same game & received an 8 game/week suspension. We lost 2/3 of our right wing axis, Paddy was the 3rd, in one game & never recovered.

Thanks

As I say I was only 10:greengrin

--------
30-10-2009, 09:44 AM

:grr:[/QUOTE]

I'm with Mike and JB here. Watched Erich week by week - one of the hardest tacklers I've ever seen but he didn't do stuff like that. Don't like hearing Shades being compared to numpties, frankly.

First, Shades wouldn't have let Driver get away from him - he'd have nailed him properly when the ball was present. Second, Erich was a footballer. McManus isn't.

Third - I have seen worse. The worst I've seen was another Celtic player a long time ago who DID make sure the guy's leg was broken. Didn't like it then, still feel queasy thinking about it.

[/I][/B]

Its a pity thast someone like Roy Barry is not around anymore to have a quiet word on his ear ( Or knee in the groin ) ..........

Barry? Big girl's blouse. Erich sorted him out good and proper. :devil:

brog
30-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks

As I say I was only 10:greengrin
No probs, wish I had only been 10 :wink:

sadtom
30-10-2009, 09:46 AM

Thats the bit that does my nut in when people talk about him being jailed and comparing it to other on field related incident.
IIRC DF was actually on bail for assaulting a guy on crutches from behind, (hooked him off a bar stool, what a fekkin hero.:bitchy:)

If ANYONE assaults someone while on bail they will get jailed. It takes a special type of moron to do it in front of a million or so witnesses.

hibsbollah
30-10-2009, 09:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ5QuYlHrSU

Its all part of the pantomime, boo hiss villain etc. :greengrin I must pop on kickback and see what they thought of it:devil:

brydekirk
30-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Just watched the tackle again and it's even worse than I thought. McManus didn't just trip Driver, he scythed him down at knee height. The book should be well and truly thrown at him

Totally agree. the ref bottled it :agree:

sadtom
30-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Thats the first time i saw the 'tackle'. Not nearly as bad as i thought it would be. Defo a kick but certainly not one likely to cause a serious injury.
To be honest i thought it was pretty much like Ian Murray's one on McGeady a CP.

blackpoolhibs
30-10-2009, 10:20 AM
You're absolutely right John but I do remember one classic Erich moment when Johnny Doyle, then of Ayr United wound Erich up all night. Doyle was on right wing playing downhill when he cut inside Erich but didn't get away from him. Erich chased him right across the park with everyone else getting out the way until he reached the old enclosure in front of North stand where Erich booted him right across the wall. The whole ground, including both sets of players were falling about laughing. It was like a Tom & Jerry cartoon. Absolutely brilliant, Erich, what a man.

You must be wrong, Erich was a saint, and never tackled anyone without it being 100% fair.:wink:

jdships
30-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Rude, you were the one with the :bye: You obviously knew him too, he had the pub on the corner of easter road and thorntree street, we lived on thorntree street, and my dad worked for him. He had a few dinners at our home as well. Yes he put some crunchers in, and he also knew how to sort out an opponent, not always fairly. To say otherwise is just wrong. It was a different game then, and tackles like the one McManus made were fairly normal then, we just dont see them nearly enough these days.

Think we draw a line under this as we are "agreeing to disagree" :greengrin
Probably knew your Dad as went about "Shades" a lot at lunch times . Great wee local !

Certainly don't see the tackles now as in years gone by :thumbsup:

Any who remember this guy knows what bad tackles were about
Willie Woodburn
In 1947 he received a 14-day ban for a "violent exchange" with Motherwell's Dave Mathie, then in 1953 he punched the Clyde striker Billy McPhail, which earned a 21-day ban. Later that year, Woodburn was sent off for retaliation in a match with Stirling Albion and when the clubs met again, the following season, in a League Cup tie at Ibrox on 28 August 1954. Playing with a knee injury, Woodburn took exception to a bad foul and retaliated by headbutting a Stirling player.
The SFA convened a disciplinary hearing the following month, which lasted just four minutes, and Woodburn was suspended sine die.

I had a five week lay off when I fell foul of a "stiff" tackle from another Rangers C/H - Duncan Stanners who ended his days at , yes, Stirling Albion !

Still think McManus deserves more than a one match ban ! :thumbsup:

Part/Time Supporter
30-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Off on a bit of a tangent here but it's been quoted that Ned decided that the Tornadoes weren't good enough and needed rebuilding after the 3-0 defeat to Hajuk Split in the Quarter Finals of the Cup Winners Cup in 1973 - Brownlie was out with a broken leg and Erich missed the match - full backs were Des Bremner and Billy McEwan - I don't think we would have lost 3-0 with Erich and JB in the team - the rest is history :boo hoo:

That defeat was a real shame looking back on it. How incongruous would it look now if Hibs had won the cup winners' cup?

:greengrin :duck:

blackpoolhibs
30-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Think we draw a line under this as we are "agreeing to disagree" :greengrin
Probably knew your Dad as went about "Shades" a lot at lunch times . Great wee local !

Certainly don't see the tackles now as in years gone by :thumbsup:

:agree::boo hoo:
Any who remember this guy knows what bad tackles were about
Willie Woodburn
In 1947 he received a 14-day ban for a "violent exchange" with Motherwell's Dave Mathie, then in 1953 he punched the Clyde striker Billy McPhail, which earned a 21-day ban. Later that year, Woodburn was sent off for retaliation in a match with Stirling Albion and when the clubs met again, the following season, in a League Cup tie at Ibrox on 28 August 1954. Playing with a knee injury, Woodburn took exception to a bad foul and retaliated by headbutting a Stirling player.
The SFA convened a disciplinary hearing the following month, which lasted just four minutes, and Woodburn was suspended sine die.

I had a five week lay off when I fell foul of a "stiff" tackle from another Rangers C/H - Duncan Stanners who ended his days at , yes, Stirling Albion !

Still think McManus deserves more than a one match ban ! :thumbsup:

I agree, 5 game ban at least, but will probably get 3. Although a ticking off, and a few boo's from the stands would have sufficed in the 70s.:wink:

brog
30-10-2009, 11:50 AM
You must be wrong, Erich was a saint, and never tackled anyone without it being 100% fair.:wink:

There was also the time when Erich went after Sir Fergie in the Brockville dressing rooms after Fergie broke Cropley's ankle. To be fair though even the Falkirk players were with Erich on that one! :wink:
Seriously though, I do agree that Erich was mostly very hard but fair but I doubt there's anyone who played pro football who hasn't done a nasty at least once in their career. Regardless, McManus' effort was a shocker, both for the intentional foul & for exposing his severe limitations as a player.

--------
30-10-2009, 11:51 AM

Aw right - I admit it. Erich Schaedler was an extremely hard player who wasn't averse to putting a guy up in the air if that guy gave due cause.

I just don't class McManus with Shades - Shades was way better than McManus.

AND Roy Barry. :devil:

Jonnyboy
30-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Opinions eh

Agreed although McCourt managed it a couple of times too :greengrin

Jonnyboy
30-10-2009, 12:57 PM
:grr:

I'm with Mike and JB here. Watched Erich week by week - one of the hardest tacklers I've ever seen but he didn't do stuff like that. Don't like hearing Shades being compared to numpties, frankly.

First, Shades wouldn't have let Driver get away from him - he'd have nailed him properly when the ball was present. Second, Erich was a footballer. McManus isn't.

Third - I have seen worse. The worst I've seen was another Celtic player a long time ago who DID make sure the guy's leg was broken. Didn't like it then, still feel queasy thinking about it.

John 'Yogi' Hughes but not our gaffer :greengrin

Barry? Big girl's blouse. Erich sorted him out good and proper. :devil:[/QUOTE]

I remember that :greengrin Never seen Barry running so scared :thumbsup:

ancient hibee
30-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Remember the Hun put up in the air-it was Tom Forsyth-he and Shades went for a 50/50 ball-neither chickened out but Forsyth wished he had-he took a lot longer to get up.

blackpoolhibs
30-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Aye Mr Barry, another who knew tackling waist high was an art.:wink: I am not classing Shades with McManus, Erich was 10 times the player he will ever be,but it seems i'm not the only one who remembers Erich could put it about a bit. The times have changed, that tackle on wednesday transported back to the 70s would have got a booking at most.

Anyone being sent off had to virtually murder someone back then, men were men in those days, tackling was allowed, and that tackle would hardly have made the topic of conversation after the game. Is it a good thing?

hibsbollah
30-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Stop being such a bed wetter. Tackles like that were part and parcel of teh game for donkey's years

..as is borne out by this clip, one of my favourites bits of old footage ever. I would have loved to play in this game:faf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOtL1m1o_ok

hibiedude
30-10-2009, 04:03 PM

Good reply it was only a matter of time before there luck changed for the better.

Best team won on the night

HIBERNIALEITH
30-10-2009, 04:14 PM
It means he had a cynical attitude towards getting the ball, in other words he had a negative attitude towards getting the ball, he went for the man on purpose.
Hope that clears it up for you.

Good description! Thanks!! Cheers!!!:thumbsup:

Alicky Ranks
30-10-2009, 06:57 PM

I was reminded of exactly that incident when reading through this thread. You're spot on. Nowt wrong with clattering a player in such circumstances, and if it's a yam all the better.

AugustaHibs
31-10-2009, 06:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ5QuYlHrSU

Terrible challenge. :greengrin

Cabbage East
31-10-2009, 06:10 PM
awful:greengrin

Malthibby
31-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Driver dived & got the guy sent off. Just another cheatin' Yam.
GG

Thegreenside
31-10-2009, 08:48 PM
really really really bad tackle.

but it was on a yam and that makes it one of the best i have ever seen.