PDA

View Full Version : We need to cut out the crosses

RIP
31-10-2009, 12:19 PM
After Whittaker's free cross on Saturday we need to make sure to do more to prevent crosses to the full back positions. That is where we are most vulnerable.

Looking at Rangers goal again the Hibs player not only failed to defend Naismith's throw to Whittaker, he also made no attempt to stop the cross.

Must do better today - whatsay?

Tyler Durden
31-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Good point. I was raging last week with the otherwise flawless Liam Miller as he left Deeks with a 2 vs 1 and Whittaker got his cross in easily.

It's an area we've definitely improved upon since losing the hopeless Van Zanten (did he ever find another club by the way?) but we can still improve. If Deeks and Zemmama keep to the standards they've set recently and continue to help their full backs, hopefully we minimise these type of goals.

Toaods
31-10-2009, 12:29 PM
agree that lack of steel out wide is the deficiency, however that will always remain a problem with such an attack minded quartet in an arrow shape with McBride further back and more central as the anchor man.

Mowbray's dilemma v Hearts the other night ring any bells?

McGeady, McCourt, Samaras and McDonald looking likely to tear the Yams apart nut leaft themselves wide open to the counter, only Hearts were more interested in dragging it into the corners.

PeeJay
31-10-2009, 12:38 PM
It's an area we've definitely improved upon since losing the hopeless Van Zanten.

Not so sure about that - on Saturday Wotherspoon played a worse game at full back then DVZ did in any game I ever saw him play for us. I think full back is still a problem for us and teams will exploit us for it. Hopefully not today though!

CapitalHibs
31-10-2009, 12:39 PM
After Whittaker's free cross on Saturday we need to make sure to do more to prevent crosses to the full back positions. That is where we are most vulnerable.

Looking at Rangers goal again the Hibs player not only failed to defend Naismith's throw to Whittaker, he also made no attempt to stop the cross.

Must do better today - whatsay?

John Hughes made reference to that on the weekly HibsTV interview.

Tyler Durden
31-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Not so sure about that - on Saturday Wotherspoon played a worse game at full back then DVZ did in any game I ever saw him play for us. I think full back is still a problem for us and teams will exploit us for it. Hopefully not today though!

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. IMO Wotherspoon could play blind folded and he'd be better than 99% of DVZ's performances!

Personally I think people have went over the top in criticising Wotherspoon's performance.