PDA

View Full Version : Types of Hibs Fan And Attendances At ER

Dashing Bob S
30-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Not an uber-fan debate, more of an observation;

CATEGORY ONE

5,000 - Utterly obsessed with the club, will never miss a game at ER, emotional life largely skewed towards the weekend, partisan, obsessive, the core support. "Hibs are my life."

5,000 crowds

CATEGORY TWO

5,000 - Die hard Hibbies, the fortunes of the team mean a lot to them, but the identify with the club, and if the team played poorly, might consider withdrawing their support. Also balance Hibs with work/family commitments. "Hibs are a huge part of my life."

10,000 crowds

Basically, we have to be doing something pretty much wrong not to pull roughly this amount to every game. Here's where it gets interesting:

CATEGORY THREE

4,000 - the 'positive cynics'. They are as Hibs as it gets, but hate it when out team aren't playing well, with style and panache and challenging at the proper end of the table. In varying degrees, they are just waiting for the chance to come back. They might not always attend but will be highly emotionally connected to the club through being anxious at the weekend score. "I'm Hibs through and through, but I'm not going to watch hoofball, etc."

14,000 crowds (this is the element we are currenty winning back after Mixu.)

CATEGORY FOUR

4,000 - the 'negative cynics.' Hibs are in their blood, they love the club, put them on a pedestal, and for that reason they hate to see a Hibs side that aren't up there with the best. Will only show up if really brilliant winning football is played in decent facilities and we have a genuine chance of winning something. "I love Hibs, why are they not SPL champions every year?"

18,000 crowds. (The Scottish Cup semi support.)

CATEGORY FIVE

25,000 - the Hibernian Glory hunters - you'll only ever see them at cup finals, preferably if there's a real chance of winning. "I saw them lift the League Cup against Dunfermline, and again against Killie. Mind, you it's not all been plain sailing. I remember the League Cup final against Aberdeen and the Scottish Cup final against Celtic. I was pretty sick until we got into the pub."

43,000 crowds.

CATEGORY SIX

30,000 - the general glory hunters. This is the premium that every successful club that wins trophies, is on telly, has a big marketing and media presence get. Probably the only time we were close to this was in the Famous Five era. "I love Celtic...sorry Man U, sorry Chelsea...sorry Man City...sorry Hibernian..."

Crowds: sky's the limit.

Obviously, this can change through a persons life experiences, family, work etc. I've personally been everything from a cat 1 to cat 4 fan and back again in my life.

col02
30-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Quite an interesting analysis there I reckon and pretty much spot on save for the odd 1,000 here and there. Question the club has to ask is how do I get from one level to the other and maintain it there. If we could stay around the category 3 mark we would be laughing and see the prudent nature of the club set us up for the long haul.

Kerrplunk
30-10-2009, 02:15 PM

CATEGORY ONE

5,000 - Utterly obsessed with the club, will never miss a game at ER, emotional life largely skewed towards the weekend, partisan, obsessive, the core support. "Hibs are my life."

5,000 crowds

CATEGORY TWO

5,000 - Die hard Hibbies, the fortunes of the team mean a lot to them, but the identify with the club, and if the team played poorly, might consider withdrawing their support. Also balance Hibs with work/family commitments. "Hibs are a huge part of my life."

10,000 crowds

Basically, we have to be doing something pretty much wrong not to pull roughly this amount to every game. Here's where it gets interesting:

CATEGORY THREE

4,000 - the 'positive cynics'. They are as Hibs as it gets, but hate it when out team aren't playing well, with style and panache and challenging at the proper end of the table. In varying degrees, they are just waiting for the chance to come back. They might not always attend but will be highly emotionally connected to the club through being anxious at the weekend score. "I'm Hibs through and through, but I'm not going to watch hoofball, etc."

CATEGORY FOUR

4,000 - the 'negative cynics.' Hibs are in their blood, they love the club, put them on a pedestal, and for that reason they hate to see a Hibs side that aren't up there with the best. Will only show up if really brilliant winning football is played in decent facilities and we have a genuine chance of winning something. "I love Hibs, why are they not SPL champions every year?"

CATEGORY FIVE

25,000 - the Hibernian Glory hunters - you'll only ever see them at cup finals, preferably if there's a real chance of winning. "I saw them lift the League Cup against Livvy, and again against Killie. Mind, you it's not all been plain sailing. I remember the League Cup final against Aberdeen and the Scottish Cup final against Celtic. I was pretty sick until we got into the pub."

43,000 crowds.

CATEGORY SIX

30,000 - the general glory hunters. This is the premium that every successful club that wins trophies, is on telly, has a big marketing and media presence get. Probably the only time we were close to this was in the Famous Five era. "I love Celtic...sorry Man U, sorry Chelsea...sorry Man City...sorry Hibernian..."

Obviously, this can change through a persons life experiences, family, work etc. I've personally been everything from a cat 1 to cat 4 fan and back again in my life.

Wish i had been there to see that!

The_Todd
30-10-2009, 02:22 PM
I'd put myself at category 3 I think. The only real thing topping me putting myself on category 2 is financial constraints, and the fact I'm a regular at Murrayfield for the Ice Hockey. I just can't afford to support two teams thick and thin!

hibs0666
30-10-2009, 02:26 PM
I'd put myself at category 3 I think. The only real thing topping me putting myself on category 2 is financial constraints, and the fact I'm a regular at Murrayfield for the Ice Hockey. I just can't afford to support two teams thick and thin!

What, if anything, would/could make you prioritise the Hibs over the ice hockey?

TheBall'sRound
30-10-2009, 02:36 PM
What, if anything, would/could make you prioritise the Hibs over the ice hockey?

I'm thinking the answer will be along the lines of "If Bamba didn't get sent off for banjoing every opposition player within 10 yards of him" :greengrin

heretoday
30-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Category Seven: When Hibs lose, pretend to be an Everton supporter!

The_Todd
30-10-2009, 02:43 PM

Nothing, really. They're two entirely different sports which I enjoy for two different reasons. I love Hibs, I love the Capitals. It's nothing to do results either, because if it was you wouldn't see me at the Ice Hockey for dust while obviously Hibs are having a very good season.

I'm afraid until I win the lottery it's going to be a case of going to as many of each as I can without bankrupting myself!

Andy74
30-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Surely there's quite another category for people who put daft sports like rugby or ice hockey anywhere close to football! :crazy::greengrin

Calvin
30-10-2009, 02:58 PM
If Hibs played poorly I wouldn't consider withdrawing my support but I can't make every home game due to having to work a lot of Saturdays to pay my way through uni. However in previous seasons I was averaging 35 games a season so would have probably put myself in the first category.

CapitalHibs
30-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Wish i had been there to see that!

Think he means Dunfermline - don'cha Bob?:wink:

Teo10
30-10-2009, 03:02 PM
I would go for the First. Unfortunatley I have not made many away games this season but when these have been on Sky Sports News Centre App on my phone has favourites set to the hibs game, wether I be in the cinema or in town or whatever I am doing....

Hibeeeeees!!

The_Todd
30-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Surely there's quite another category for people who put daft sports like rugby or ice hockey anywhere close to football! :crazy::greengrin

I would have felt the same once upon a time, but Ice Hockey truly is a brilliant sport which I'm now totally hooked on. Rugby, however, couldn't agree more :wink:

PeterboroHibee
30-10-2009, 03:24 PM
I cant make it as much as I like due to working alot of weekends, but would make it any game I could, and wouldnt ever turn my back on the team and not go just because they werent doing well. Dont know what category that is?

basehibby
30-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Great observations there Bob - of course the motivations will vary but the levels of obsession and respective totals are about bang on. I'm probably a Cat 2 at the mo but like yourself have been anything from a 1 to a 4 at various times in my life - which raises an interesting point - what makes ordinary fans go up and down this Hibee Richter scale??? And what can the club do to get them up to CAT 1/2 and keep them up there?????

Andy74
30-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Great observations there Bob - of course the motivations will vary but the levels of obsession and respective totals are about bang on. I'm probably a Cat 2 at the mo but like yourself have been anything from a 1 to a 4 at various times in my life - which raises an interesting point - what makes ordinary fans go up and down this Hibee Richter scale??? And what can the club do to get them up to CAT 1/2 and keep them up there?????

If they could take out my wife and family for me every Saturday I'd be a lot closer to a 1 agian.

_hucks_
30-10-2009, 04:06 PM
I think that there is a bigger 3 pool and smaller 4 pool than the op suggests - the reason for the huge cup final crowds is that nearly all of the cat 3's attend, where as only a proportion will be at any other given match. Fwiw, i've tried to attend as much as possible when not working over the last few years, but am now stranded south of the border, so i have to really pick and choose games. I'm at tynie next week, first game back since the hamilton debacle. GGTTH

CapitalHibs
30-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Dinnae forget those who live abroad and put money into the club by regularly subscribing to Hibs TV and watching live games at ER:thumbsup:

Horse
30-10-2009, 05:05 PM

CATEGORY ONE

5,000 crowds

CATEGORY TWO

10,000 crowds

CATEGORY THREE

CATEGORY FOUR

CATEGORY FIVE

25,000 - the Hibernian Glory hunters - you'll only ever see them at cup finals, preferably if there's a real chance of winning. "I saw them lift the League Cup against Livvy, and again against Killie. Mind, you it's not all been plain sailing. I remember the League Cup final against Aberdeen and the Scottish Cup final against Celtic. I was pretty sick until we got into the pub."

43,000 crowds.

CATEGORY SIX

Not sure what category I fall into. I'm a die hard hibby who would go to most games if I lived in Scotland but I live in Ireland and I'm skint so I'm limited to a few games a season. Of course I will always be desperate to attend big games like finals and semi's but I don't think I could be termed as a glory hunter as I went to virtually every game when I lived in Scotland including throughout the many bad times such as the first division year. I wonder how many people fall into the category of "die hard Hibby who cannae follow the team due to geographic location"? I'd guess there's a fair few thousand of us.

brydekirk
30-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Not sure what category I fall into. I'm a die hard hibby who would go to most games if I lived in Scotland but I live in Ireland and I'm skint so I'm limited to a few games a season. Of course I will always be desperate to attend big games like finals and semi's but I don't think I could be termed as a glory hunter as I went to virtually every game when I lived in Scotland including throughout the many bad times such as the first division year. I wonder how many people fall into the category of "die hard Hibby who cannae follow the team due to geographic location"? I'd guess there's a fair few thousand of us.

ive had worse years in the SPL. the first division was a great year after getting over the disapointment of being there in the first year :agree:

seanshow
30-10-2009, 05:55 PM

Similar to you, I would be Category 1, only finance/prices stop me from being in it.

Woody1985
30-10-2009, 06:00 PM
It's about Finances for me and attendance. Tomorrow will be only my 3rd game this season.

What are people's thoughts on buying unused STs from other people?

If you could buy two tickets for £25 quid or pay full whack would you rather support the club with the extra revenue?

joe breezy
30-10-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm not sure we have that many fans. When we get to Cup Finals we get lots of wifies, relatives and friends who are just there for the occasion.

There's also lots of fans who love Hibs but liveat least 300 miles away so don't go for that reason.

I agree with the categories up to 16 000 though and it's a nice wee segmentation model

Dashing Bob S
30-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Think he means Dunfermline - don'cha Bob?:wink:

Indeed I do and a terrible oversight to make. Amended accordingly.

Dashing Bob S
30-10-2009, 07:48 PM

I think its the usual; girlfriend, wife, kids, job with travel, living overseas. These factors have always contrived to make me, personally speaking, more fairweather than I would otherwise be. I've watched some eye-bleeding teams, particularly under the early Miller years and Blobby, and missed a lot of decent stuff in the later Miller years and some McLeish, due to these factors.

SouthamptonHibs
30-10-2009, 08:18 PM

I'm in the same boat, cat 1 supporter but due to location now (work) i don't get to many games.

i've Still had the season ticket all the time i've been away, this year i've split the cost with my mate we both pay half and he gets to go to all the games i can't make. I think he'll get about 12/14 home games to my 4/6 this year.

Get married next year at ER..can't wait

Next up for the yams game next weekend

Mon the cabbage Hail hail

NAE NOOKIE
30-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Would class myself as a cat 2

Cant be a cat 1 coz I dont go to enough away games and my family come before everything.

but the part at cat 2 about not going if the team are rubbish doesnt apply coz I will always support the team by going to matches no matter how rubbish they are.

Cat 1.5 ?

:greengrin

WarringtonHibee
30-10-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm probably Category 2, being a season ticket holder down in England. I'll only ever miss a game if it's due to work, which has been once so far this season - I keep nagging to ensure certain Saturdays are freed up for me! :agree:

wazoo1875
30-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Would class myself as a cat 2

Cant be a cat 1 coz I dont go to enough away games and my family come before everything.

but the part at cat 2 about not going if the team are rubbish doesnt apply coz I will always support the team by going to matches no matter how rubbish they are.

Cat 1.5 ?

:greengrin

Bang on for me too mate , i am and probably have always been a 2 though i remember sitting in the coo shed in crowds of 5000 and lower , my family will almost always come first , except when we are at home of course :agree:

Good thread DBS and i would say pretty much bang on with your guesstimates :thumbsup:

thefamousfive
30-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Good idea but your segmentation in regards to the support of a football team has been executed without any accuracy or with any thought. I am not a season ticket holder because I aint living anywhere near Leith but I know my Hibs supporting friends and myself would and do not appreciate being subdivided into your supportive 'classes'. Total nonsense to suggest that less than half of the current season ticket subscription are not 'die hard supporters'. Is that to make your so called '5000' core support to feel better about themselves? I would like to kindly suggest that to be a Hibs supporter in itself a hard task and requires a certain level of passionate support that just does not get switched on and off depending on cup final appearances. Hibs are a hard ask on any person but we love them all the same. Supporting Hibs is special for every person that follows the club. Why do we support Hibs. Its because we do. So please we are all the same that support Hibs - If we dont go to the game its because we cant. If we do go we are not any less than what you call your 'hardcore'. Nice attempt but you aint no Adam Smith.

thebakerboy
30-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Been going to ER since around 1951 and can actually remember crowds of 50000 at home and thro to early 60's was an every home game and away when my old man could afford it away supporter. He died early 70's and I was newly married and lost ER but Hibs still major in my life . Then my nephew threatened to become a Jambo so that had to stop back to defo cat 1 . Then went with daughter for a while but business and work got in way a lot till retired this year . Missed Celtic and Brechin games due to Hols and Dundee Utd due to Bonnyrigg Rose's first ever full Scottish Cup tie(they lost). Got my first ticket for away to Jambos for 25 years so maybe Im back at ER ,dont Know about away games but maybe. So Ive been in every Cat mentioned:greengrin

Bishop Hibee
30-10-2009, 10:06 PM
By these criteria I'm somewhere between Category 1 and 2. Always had an ST when living in Edinburgh but I have left Edinburgh for 2 separate periods. I know some Hibees who could never do that.

In terms of category 6 and the Famous Five, when I worked in the Consett area of Co. Durham, one of the old boys remembered a bus leaving on Saturday mornings for ER in the 1950's full of fans! A combination of locals and Edinburgers working in the steel plant.

basehibby
31-10-2009, 03:06 AM
I think its the usual; girlfriend, wife, kids, job with travel, living overseas. These factors have always contrived to make me, personally speaking, more fairweather than I would otherwise be. I've watched some eye-bleeding teams, particularly under the early Miller years and Blobby, and missed a lot of decent stuff in the later Miller years and some McLeish, due to these factors.

Aha - but of course that's the case - rhetorical question my friend - but the answer to the second question????? That's down to the team on the park IMO - many's the time I've seen Hibs teams start playing well so as a good crowd turns out at ER - only for the team to turn out a pile of sheight!
Such a pivotal game is approaching - a game that a lot of fans will have turfed themselves out of their armchairs for having watched last week's heroics at Ipox on their tellys - these games are the games where the team on the park can make a real difference - if they turn it on then everyone will be back the week after next - if they go into their shells then ... it might be some time.

southern hibby
31-10-2009, 04:14 AM
I joined the navy 171/2 years ago and before that in 14 years I missed 3 Hibs games Home and Away (had my appendix removed)

I now live down south and make every game I can (I've even flown 8,000 (one way) miles back from the Falkland Islands just to watch Hibs against Dunfermline in the league).

I love the club with every breath I take and with every breath that I have remaining and God willing I'll even support them beyond my last breath.

There's been ups and more downs than I care to remember but one things always been the same, They are my team and no other will ever take their place within my life.

I pray that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I am Born supporting

EDINBURGH HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB, as no other club will mean the same.

I may not make many games through work touring the world but please believe me when I say that when Hibs are playing there is only one place I imagine I am and that's watching GOD'S ELEVEN WEARING THE GREEN.

GGTTH.

Onceinawhile
31-10-2009, 08:29 AM
I joined the navy 171/2 years ago and before that in 14 years I missed 3 Hibs games Home and Away (had my appendix removed)

I now live down south and make every game I can (I've even flown 8,000 (one way) miles back from the Falkland Islands just to watch Hibs against Dunfermline in the league).

I love the club with every breath I take and with every breath that I have remaining and God willing I'll even support them beyond my last breath.

There's been ups and more downs than I care to remember but one things always been the same, They are my team and no other will ever take their place within my life.

I pray that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I am Born supporting

EDINBURGH HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB, as no other club will mean the same.

I may not make many games through work touring the world but please believe me when I say that when Hibs are playing there is only one place I imagine I am and that's watching GOD'S ELEVEN WEARING THE GREEN.

GGTTH.

You joined the navy 171 or 172 years ago? Good gracious :top marks for service to your country

southern hibby
31-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Sorry old chap but it was only 17 and a half years ago.

The plus side would be if it was that long ago at least I would have seen the Scottish Cup at Easter Road.