PDA

View Full Version : NHC EPL Chief Exec says no to OF

TheEastTerrace
29-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Brief, but to the point, statement from Richard Scudamore CEO of the EPL.

Richard Scudamore cannot see Celtic and Rangers joining the Premier League (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/oct/28/celtic-rangers-richard-scudamore-premier-league)

Maybe this can be put to bed now :agree:

Sylar
29-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Brief, but to the point, statement from Richard Scudamore CEO of the EPL.

Richard Scudamore cannot see Celtic and Rangers joining the Premier League (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/oct/28/celtic-rangers-richard-scudamore-premier-league)

Maybe this can be put to bed now :agree:

If only. I've lost count of the number of times the EPL have already voiced their unwillingness to welcome the Ugly Sisters - this is the first time it's been raised since events in Manchester last year, so quell shock that they've not changed their stance!

Out of the 2 of them, Celtic have won only one game against the "sub-standard SPL outfits" they're forced to play on a weekly basis.

They might die if they don't leave Scotland? When they're struggling to handle other clubs in the SPL, what chance would anyone give them to contain the Liverpool's, Manchester United's and Chelsea's of this world on a weekly basis.

jacomo
29-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Will be interesting to see if the OF finally grow up and start working to the benefit of Scottish football, instead of bemoaning their lot.

I won't hold my breath.

erskine-hibby
29-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Will be interesting to see if the OF finally grow up and start working to the benefit of Scottish football, instead of bemoaning their lot.

I won't hold my breath.

But don't you know they are Scottish football:rolleyes:

MrSmith
29-10-2009, 11:59 AM
It's all about 'sorting' Scottish fitba!

Firstly; back to the old wyas...2 points for a win, 1 for a draw. Take the league back to 16 teams playing each other twice a season. This alone would make for more competition and better playing standards.

Secondly; sack the entire staff at the SFA/SPL/SFL move it out of Mount Florida and relocate to a neutral venue, - Perth would be my choice - combine the associations making it one rules them all with the custodians being real footballing peopole not money grabbers and old firm sycophants.

Thirdly; build a new Scottsih National Stadium - again in Perth for me - which will represent everything good about Scotalnd and give us something to be proud of.

Fourth; youth is the way forward! bring in rules which state teams must be made up of at least 40% youth. Hibs, Hearts, Rangers, Celtic and to alesser extent Falkirk have all invested in and are developing youth academies.

After this occurs watch the gradual progress and improvement in our game and observe how the competition is based on a level playing field.

Also, betcha the media would move form Glasgow to, in my view, Perth and we would get a better level of journalism and a more equal representation.

Woody1985
29-10-2009, 12:08 PM

Firstly; back to the old wyas...2 points for a win, 1 for a draw. Take the league back to 16 teams playing each other twice a season. This alone would make for more competition and better playing standards.

Secondly; sack the entire staff at the SFA/SPL/SFL move it out of Mount Florida and relocate to a neutral venue, - Perth would be my choice - combine the associations making it one rules them all with the custodians being real footballing peopole not money grabbers and old firm sycophants.

Thirdly; build a new Scottsih National Stadium - again in Perth for me - which will represent everything good about Scotalnd and give us something to be proud of.

Fourth; youth is the way forward! bring in rules which state teams must be made up of at least 40% youth. Hibs, Hearts, Rangers, Celtic and to alesser extent Falkirk have all invested in and are developing youth academies.

After this occurs watch the gradual progress and improvement in our game and observe how the competition is based on a level playing field.

Also, betcha the media would move form Glasgow to, in my view, Perth and we would get a better level of journalism and a more equal representation.

1. 2 points for a win is rubbish IMO. I think people only dislike this because it would give us a better chance of getting closer to the OF. Changing the rules to get closer is crap IMO. I believe 3 points was introduced to give more incentive to go for wins rather than take draws.

2. Agree with that but don't know about moving it out of one of the major football city in Scotland. I know that having the base there means that naturally the **** will be there.

3. **** having it in Perth. Major stadiums should be in major cities.

4. Agree that something that needs to be done to get youth involved. However, I think this would be to our detriment. The policy we've built up means that young players come to us now rather than rantic. More of the better players would go there because they have a better chance as the clubs are being forced to play their best youths.

I don't think the press would follow anywhere because rantic are still based in Glasgow.

Dashing Bob S
29-10-2009, 12:48 PM

Agree with all this except the two points. Neutral on Perth, but there or Stirling would be good. (I personally would just raze the nightmare that is Hampden and play at Muddyfield.)

TheBall'sRound
29-10-2009, 01:36 PM

Do you just happen to own a large patch of land outside Perth that you're looking to sell? :thumbsup:

StevieC
29-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Secondly; sack the entire staff at the SFA/SPL/SFL move it out of Mount Florida and relocate to a neutral venue, - Perth would be my choice
build a new Scottsih National Stadium - again in Perth for me
Also, betcha the media would move form Glasgow to, in my view, Perth

Thanks, but no thanks.
What has Perth done wrong to have all this inflicted upon us??

:rolleyes:

ScottB
29-10-2009, 02:29 PM
A bigger SPL is critical going forward for me.

The fact that the First Division is now so close in terms of competition suggests we could easily expand the SPL to 16 or 18 teams without noticing a severe drop in quality. Thus making the league more competitive and less boring.

Joe Baker II
29-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Scudamore certainly talks a lot of nonsense, waffles on about being a traditionalist yet he was the man trying to play 39th English Premiership game in Japan - think we can ignore anything this twat says!

TheEastTerrace
29-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Scudamore certainly talks a lot of nonsense, waffles on about being a traditionalist yet he was the man trying to play 39th English Premiership game in Japan - think we can ignore anything this twat says!

I'm sure it was spin for masking the real objections to the OF moving down south but you can't ignore the guy who over the last 10 years has grown the EPL to become the most successful league in the world. At the end of the day, he's not here to serve the interests of Scottish football and is paid to promote the interest of English clubs domestically and abroad.

Mili Tant
29-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Agree with a lot of the post. However, "Take the league back to 16 teams playing each other twice a season"

The league was never 16 teams it was 18 and I would agree to a return to that criteria. I also think that we should give serious consideration to summer football - nothing to do with the weather. Why should we set ourselves up as competition to the best league in the world by aligning our season to theirs? Were we to play between Feb - Oct say, then we may be able to attract a better TV deal. People want football 52 weeks of the year as is proven by attendances at pre season tournaments etc. It may also attract bigger crowds with interest from down south.

There is no doubt that the actions of the bigot brothers over the recent past has contributed in no small way to the demise of our game up here. It's obvious that our clubs in the Premier League have neither the b*lls nor the inclination to stand up to them. So, for the sake of our game in Scotland perhaps it's about time that the supporters associations got together to tackle this cancer. We should make it clear that unless the OF are prepared to give a commitment to stay within Scotland in the long term then we will consider the best methods of having a direct effect on their ever decreasing finances.

Hibbyradge
29-10-2009, 03:58 PM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/2704242/We-want-Old-Firm.html

MrSmith
29-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Good!

cheerio then....

Joe Baker II
30-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Agree with a lot of the post. However, "Take the league back to 16 teams playing each other twice a season"

The league was never 16 teams it was 18 and I would agree to a return to that criteria.

League in Scotland was 16 teams until 1955 when it was increased to 18 (in 1930s was actually 20 teams).

My personal view is 12 teams the right number, split often gets lampooned as a joke and is not perfect but it is I think the best option available. Petrie is often criticised for focusing on purely financial issues but not sure expansion in best interest of any of the clubs the SPL - there should be a relegation play off though and this is something the likes of Petrie need to be persuaded has financial benefits (outweighing risk of relegation for certain clubs) through adding interest to the bottom half of SPL and top half of DIvision 1.

But I would like to see a 20 team Division 1 and 2 - seems pointless seeing Dunfermlines play Airdrie's 4 times per annum, surely fans of these clubs would like some variety and finance is not the major issue that it is in the SPL.

Real problem is the imblaanace of wealth in favour of the 5 major European leagues and domination of English football coverage which is an exceptional problem in Scotland. It does not help that OF and other clubs often seem to have different agendas in reaction to this but this is a symptom not a cause, and is not a fundamental issue