PDA

View Full Version : Time to rest David Wotherspoon?

Hibbyradge
25-10-2009, 10:51 AM
This was the subject of discussion last night.

When we played Killie, they deliberately tried to put pressure on him and much of their play was focused on that area.

Having just read the report from Ibrox, it seems Rangers did the same thing and, until he was replaced, they "had countless joy down this channel".

I find myself agreeing that it's time for him to step down, consolidate what he has learned so far and work on improving.

I think he could get a hard time against a very physical Hearts side in a fortnight.

What do you think and, if you agree, do we have a suitable replacement?

GlesgaeHibby
25-10-2009, 10:53 AM

When we played Killie, they deliberately tried to put pressure on him and much of their play was focused on that area.

Having just read the report from Ibrox, it seems Rangers did the same thing and, until he was replaced, they "had countless joy down this channel".

I find myself agreeing that it's time for him to step down, consolidate what he has learned so far and work on improving.

I think he could get a hard time against a very physical Hearts side in a fortnight.

Given that McCann has now played in a couple of bounce games and is about back to full fitness I think we should give Wotherspoon a rest against Aberdeen on saturday.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Wotherspoon and wee Lewis fall into the same category for me in that playing them at the back is playing them out of position so it is a double-dunt in that the team can miss their contribution in the areas where they should play. Wotherspoon has been on fire for us, but not at the back.:no way:

Hermit Crab
25-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Hogg needs dropped again.

Expecting Rain
25-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Wotherspoon should remain in the team, the guy is ahead of his time and the best right back at the club even though it isn`t his favoured position, any right back would have known they`d been in a game against Lafferty and previously salmon, the week prior to that he kept one of the best wingers in the league Conway out who eventually got hooked, says it all.

Scooter
25-10-2009, 11:32 AM
I think mccann should get a run out against the sheep. Against hearts maybe do what we dine yest in put Lewis at lb and shuffle the pack along and put hogg at RB

cleanyman
25-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Wotherspoon was getting tanked yesterday against Lafferty. When Wotherspoon went off Lafferty wasnt seen for the rest of the game.

brydekirk
25-10-2009, 11:36 AM

:agree: but looks like we will have to wait till january. the rest of the team are improving and hes gettin left behind. :agree:

GlesgaeHibby
25-10-2009, 11:41 AM

Hanlon to partner Bamba at CH?

Hibbyradge
25-10-2009, 11:45 AM

:hijack:

Malthibby
25-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Wotherspoon was caught out more than once against Kilmarnock, just drifting out of position & leaving too much space behind him, but then as with others here, I don't think that he is a natural full-back. I guess he has been such a good player this season Hughes has been determined to play him, & the system doesn't allow for a place in midfield.
He seems a level headed kid, but in Hughes we trust. I don't think that he will allow one of his youngsters to ship damage though over-playing.
GG

Luna_Asylum
25-10-2009, 12:13 PM
:hijack:

it deserved to be highjacked for being such a pile of garbage

you found yourself agreeing that weatherspoon should step down

who were you agreeing with?

BroxburnHibee
25-10-2009, 12:17 PM

Try reading the posts before posting you're usual pish eh.

Luna_Asylum
25-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Try reading the posts before posting you're usual pish eh.

who?

Hibbyradge
25-10-2009, 12:28 PM

It's a football discussion about one of our young talented players who people want to nurture and protect.

Your inability to state a well thought out opinion speaks volumes.

Maybe you haven't seen him play. :hmmm:

zlatan
25-10-2009, 12:33 PM
I'd definitely agree, yesterday couldn't of been good for his confidence as he really did struggle. People were saying he was decent going forward but I thought even his crossing was nowhere near the high standards we'd seen so far.

Despite being a bit ropey there every now and then I'd have McCormack in there until McCann is fit again and concentrate on keeping Wotherspoon as a developing midfielder, obviously he won't see much time on the pitch right now due to current form but that's just part of being a rising star.

Luna_Asylum
25-10-2009, 12:37 PM
It's a football discussion about one of our young talented players who people want to nurture and protect.

Your inability to state a well thought out opinion speaks volumes.

Maybe you haven't seen him play. :hmmm:

you are slagging him for his performance yesterday - a game you didn't see and you ask if I have seen him play!

as for well thought opinions I predict he will cause a lot of problems for defenses in the next 2 games - as he has in the past 2 games

you worry about him getting a hard time from hearts if you want to

Allant1981
25-10-2009, 12:39 PM
[/B]

you are slagging him for his performance yesterday - a game you didn't see and you ask if I have seen him play!

as for well thought opinions I predict he will cause a lot of problems for defenses in the next 2 games - as he has in the past 2 games

Dont think anyone was slagging the laddie but merely saying he should maybe get rested

Golden Bear
25-10-2009, 12:42 PM
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

We've had a few seasons of shuffling the pack to try and come up with the magic mix of a winning team.

For once, let's have a bit stability please!

Wotherspoon is not a natural right back but I honestly think he's the best we've got in that position right now.

Hibbyradge
25-10-2009, 12:44 PM
[/B]

Your an aggressive little fellow, aren't you. :yawn:

No-one is slagging him for anything, but many on this thread seem to think that he might need to be brought on a bit slower.

If teams are targetting one of your players, there should be concern.

Hibbyradge
25-10-2009, 12:46 PM
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

We've had a few seasons of shuffling the pack to try and come up with the magic mix of a winning team.

For once, let's have a bit stability please!

Wotherspoon is not a natural right back but I honestly think he's the best we've got in that position right now.

You might be right. Hopefully we'll get someone in during the January window.

Luna_Asylum
25-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Your an aggressive little fellow, aren't you. :yawn:

No-one is slagging him for anything, but many on this thread seem to think that he might need to be brought on a bit slower.

If teams are targetting one of your players, there should be concern.

well if like you their opinions are based on a game they didn't see i suppose thats fair enough

Golden Bear
25-10-2009, 12:54 PM
You might be right. Hopefully we'll get someone in during the January window.

I hope so. That's the position that needs strengthening most imo.

Hibbyradge
25-10-2009, 12:58 PM
I hope so. That's the position that needs strengthening most imo.

Radren Rarb. :wink:

chipmunk hibby
25-10-2009, 03:15 PM

What do you think and, if you agree, do we have a suitable replacement?kevin mccan could take his place and give wotherspoon a rest

Borders Hibby
25-10-2009, 03:50 PM
kevin mccan could take his place and give wotherspoon a rest

Agree if McCann is fit.

Onceinawhile
25-10-2009, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't rest him, I just wouldn't play him at right back, I'd play him in midfield.

However the problem is who do we lose to accommodate him? Normally I would say Benji, with Zouma going central and Wotherspoon wide right. But Benji is playing well at the moment. So I'd probably bench him and try and find someone who can play right back. Why not a back four of:

Hanlon(LB) Hogg Bamba Murray(RB)

A Right Back and Centre Back have to be the position strengthened in Jan. Or play Kevin MCcann..

basehibby
25-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Weatherspoon has done brilliantly covering for what is a problem position at RB and from what I've seen, if McCann is not fully fit yet then he's the best option there for now.
McCormack does his best there but is wont to give the ball away through choosing the wrong option with his passes. Bamba is a bomb scare at RB and I doubt if Hogg woud be a natural in that position.
I'm no expert on bringing through young players but my instinct would be not to change the back 4 without good reason. I haven't seen the action from yesterday but Wotherspoon has deserved to keep his place prior to that IMO. So - unless a fully fit McCann is banging at the door I'd not be in any hurry to change things for now.

col02
25-10-2009, 04:34 PM
The lad is on a learning curve at right back and while he is not the best yet at defending he does offer an awful lot going forward in that role. That alone in my book is something worth persevering with. Sure he may be singled out by some teams to attack but that is where the rest of the defence and the excellent McBride are there to help him out.

Beefster
25-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Wotherspoon (or any other player) shouldn't be dropped while we're continuing to win/draw/play well.

He's a young laddie who is learning his trade - just like Riordan, O'Connor, Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, Murphy and the rest didn't play well every game when they were learning. The laddie's something special and the more chances he's given to learn, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Unless he's physically knackered, he doesn't need rested.

500miles
25-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Wotherspoon (or any other player) shouldn't be dropped while we're continuing to win/draw/play well.

He's a young laddie who is learning his trade - just like Riordan, O'Connor, Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, Murphy and the rest didn't play well every game when they were learning. The laddie's something special and the more chances he's given to learn, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Unless he's physically knackered, he doesn't need rested.

Exactly.

I have to say, when we first started to play him at fullback, I thought he looked fragile - but he learned, and he learned quickly. He will have learned a hell of a lot yesterday, and Yogi will make sure that he uses these lessons to become a better player.

Phil MaGlass
25-10-2009, 06:09 PM
They are all young lads and need to be rested now and again,you cant expect them to play week in week out and not have a negative reaction somewhere along the way.Its a learning curve and it might well be he doesnt start against the Dons but he should surely start against the deluded believers.

Allant1981
25-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Exactly.

I have to say, when we first started to play him at fullback, I thought he looked fragile - but he learned, and he learned quickly. He will have learned a hell of a lot yesterday, and Yogi will make sure that he uses these lessons to become a better player.

I know for a fact he thinks he will be dropped for the aberdeen game, he wasn't very happy with his performance yesterday. A bad day at the office he says

Luna_Asylum
25-10-2009, 08:11 PM
I know for a fact he thinks he will be dropped for the aberdeen game, he wasn't very happy with his performance yesterday. A bad day at the office he says

please tell him from me he has been outstanding and while I don't know it for a fact I reckon its 99% sure he will start next week and the week after.......

500miles
25-10-2009, 08:23 PM

What he thinks doesn't matter. It's what Yogi thinks, and I reckon that Yogi has faith in him.

FWIW I prefer him in midfield, but I reckon he is easily a good enough right back too. However, players should be given a chance to develope in a number of positions.

Toaods
25-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Steven Whittaker was mince in his defending for almost two years without being dropped. Same at Ibrox but his forte was what can be offset by his forward play.

For me, Wotherspoon is the same although he has tackled someone who left the game on a stretcher...something Whittaker never achieved.

Whilst he has dropped his performance level of late, that is only to be expected and as he hasn't really caused any real damage I am more than happy ot continue with him the position meantime. He'll not be switching off v Driver and I'll bet Driver won;t be looking forward to hearing the rapidly arriving right leg of DW....:greengrin'

Allant1981
25-10-2009, 08:38 PM
What he thinks doesn't matter. It's what Yogi thinks, and I reckon that Yogi has faith in him.

FWIW I prefer him in midfield, but I reckon he is easily a good enough right back too. However, players should be given a chance to develope in a number of positions.

The text came while he was sitting on the bus waiting to come back from ibrox so he was prob still annoyed with how he played. Hopefully he starts next week as i dont think mcann is much better from what ive seen of him

Hibbyradge
25-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Thing is, he's not a right back.

He's just learning that job. He probably needs time to take stock. :dunno:

WindyMiller
25-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Why disrupt the team for the Dons?

Give the lad another week , he's done well so far.

The 4-2-4 system puts a lot of presuure on the full-backs but thelad's stood up to it, and is obviously on a big learning curve,

Mickey Edwards
25-10-2009, 09:35 PM
I was at the game.....the only joy rangers got, certainly in the first half , was shelling diagonals to Wotherspoon , who was outjumped and is smaller anyway, by Lafferty....it was a standout tactic coz they did it at every opprtunity and got a goal from it....persisted with it aftr and almost got more.....I think all teams will pinpoint this and do it so either Riordan's got to shut down all deliveries from their RB , Wotherspoon has to improve his vertical spring with the sports science guys, or another RB has to be tried. {or all 3}....... McCann is the best RB we have IMHO and is good at going forward too ; hopefully he gets full fitness soon....his challenges are the best timed at the club, he's comfortable on the ball under pressure and his distribution is good.....hopefully his longterm gym work will have improved his spring......gie Wotherspoon a rest, talented gadgie though he undoubtedly is {that dipping shot in the 1st half yest was a peach.}

Hibbyradge
25-10-2009, 09:37 PM
I was at the game.....the only joy rangers got, certainly in the first half , was shelling diagonals to Wotherspoon , who was outjumped and is smaller anyway, by Lafferty....it was a standout tactic coz they did it at every opprtunity and got a goal from it....persisted with it aftr and almost got more.....I think all teams will pinpoint this and do it so either Riordan's got to shut down all deliveries from their RB , Wotherspoon has to improve his vertical spring with the sports science guys, or another RB has to be tried. {or all 3}....... McCann is the best RB we have IMHO and is good at going forward too ; hopefully he gets full fitness soon....his challenges are the best timed at the club, he's comfortable on the ball under pressure and his distribution is good.....hopefully his longterm gym work will have improved his spring......gie Wotherspoon a rest, talented gadgie though he undoubtedly is {that dipping shot in the 1st half yest was a peach.}

I agree with what you say although I think Kevin McCann is too small.

Sammy7nil
25-10-2009, 09:55 PM
I said if Killie were to get anything from our last home game it was by attacking down the left it appears Rangers sussed that too.
Anyone worth their salt will know that now and although I agree breaking up a winning team seems wrong. I think we have too. I remember Aberdeen and Dun Utd targeting our fullbacks punting high balls out wide and knocking them back across goal with success we cannot invite this.
David coming off the bench gives an option McCormack is a better option at right back if a bit shaky times at least he can defend.

Toaods
25-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Lafferty didn't cost a few million quid for a laugh...as much as everyone hates the tosser he is a big danger and should be thrashing most right backs in the air.

No point in discarding Wotherspoon - the secret is to see if he can learn how to if not win these challenges, ensure his opponent can't get it eeasy to place a header where he wants it to be.

whiskyhibby
25-10-2009, 10:10 PM
I think mccann should get a run out against the sheep. Against hearts maybe do what we dine yest in put Lewis at lb and shuffle the pack along and put hogg at RB

Absolutely agree McCann looked terrific at Full back prior to his long term injury, he needs a run to get him back up to that level

:agree::top marks:top marks:top marks

whiskyhibby
25-10-2009, 10:14 PM

:top marks:agree:

Jonnyboy
25-10-2009, 11:00 PM
I agree with what you say although I think Kevin McCann is too small.

It's not McCann's lack of height that bothers me so much as his lack of pace. Maybe once he's fully fit that'll improve :dunno:

sambajustice
25-10-2009, 11:06 PM

That Stokes boy is needing dropped!

He's pish!

ahibby
26-10-2009, 09:59 AM
From the highlights it appeared that Rangers also tried to aim the ball at Boyd in front of Bamba in the box with the obvious tactic of getting Bamba to foul Boyd for a penalty and it almost came off. Should we then drop Bamba? I'd stick with DW at right back as the opposition might target him more but atleast we know in advance that they will and perhaps we can come up with something clever to turn what is percieved a weakness in to a counter. I think Hogg could have been expected to cut out the head back for their goal as much as DW. The coaches need to work with DW more but from what I have seen of him he stands up to the pressure okay and he makes decent challenges. Stick with him.