PDA

View Full Version : 9 years ago today........

RoslinInstHibby
22-10-2009, 08:16 AM
22 october 2000:top marks

whats everyone's memories of that great day?

my mate woke up that morning and decided it was gonna be 9-1 to us, we all took the p*ss all day out of him, but when the 6th one went in......there was a slight moment when i thought it was gonna happen:dizzy:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/low/football/scot_prem/985212.stm

Steve-O
22-10-2009, 08:31 AM

my mate woke up that morning and decided it was gonna be 9-1 to us, we all took the p*ss all day out of him, but when the 6th one went in......there was a slight moment when i thought it was gonna happen:dizzy:

I actually don't remember anything from before the game but I do remember being shocked, stunned, ecstatic while at the game :thumbsup:

I also recall being so happy that I went to Revolution till 3am with my then burd, on a Sunday! Celebrated in style! :faf:

hibsbollah
22-10-2009, 08:37 AM
I was grumbling and mumbling at Mixu's totally inept performace in the first 15 minutes, when he was showing the first touch of a rhino. 'Mixu youre just not good enough!' I spluttered. One hattrick and a moment of total genius from wee Russell later and I felt a bit silly:duck:

Stevie Reid
22-10-2009, 08:44 AM
I genuinely experienced a feeling of euphoria that night that I haven't felt since, even when we beat Killie in the CIS, though it was pretty close.

We had been due them that for soooo long, and after experiencing nearly every game in 22 in a row, the release of emotion was unbelievable when the 5th and 6th went in.

After losing the early goal we took complete control and even losing Matty Jack didn't prove to be an issue as Lyndon Andrews slotted in seamlessly. Felt at half time that if we could get a 3rd then we could really do them, was delighted it proved to be the case as on so many occasions we were all over them but still managed to let them back in. Still unsure quite how they managed to score 2 mind you!

22 October is also my Old Man's birthday, don't think he's had a better one before or since.

Happy Birthday Dad :thumbsup:

1two
22-10-2009, 08:55 AM
When they went 1 up their was still a strange atmosphere about the place, we just knew this was going to be our game.

I was only about 14 at the time so wish I was slightly older to appreciate it that little bit more but still one of the greatest games I have attended and I will always remember it!

GGTTH

TornadoHibby
22-10-2009, 08:59 AM
It was my eldest son's 20th birthday and our ST group at the time were all at the game and excited by the prospects of Hibs winning in style bearing in mind how we had been playing at that time. :agree:

4 minutes in and suddenly we are one down but the feeling was still there that this was only a minor blip for us and we would still go on to win the match. However, it took until just before half time to get the equaliser and then almost immediately we went 2-1 up courtesy of Mixu the (playing :wink:) Hibs legend! :agree:

Second half just got better and better and with around 15 minutes to go and 5-1 up, I turned to my brother and tempted fate by saying that we could beat the 7-0 winning margin if we kept the pressure up! :cool2:

However, one more goal apiece with Latapy's an absolute peach and we left heading for the birthday celebration a very happy bunch of Hibbies! :agree:

Happy Birthday Dave, looking forward to tonight's celebration! :wink:

McSwanky
22-10-2009, 09:01 AM
I remember half time being great fun, after they had enjoyed a lead for most of the first half, they didn't half shut up when they went in 2-1 down...

I also remember turning to my mate when the 5th had just gone in and asking him what the score was. Couldn't quite believe what was happening.

....And the cheer from the home fans when Hearts scored their 2nd was brilliant - one of the very few times in life when you will hear a stadium full of Hibs fans cheering a Hearts goal.

Priceless!

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-10-2009, 09:12 AM
The massive away support left a lasting impression on me. When they made capital of the fact that we did not exactly turn up in big numbers for the last derby game at Tynie, it made me think of that game....

Wembley67
22-10-2009, 09:14 AM
and i'm sure after the game the nip got turned over as well....sticks in my mind for all the wrong reasons!

aussie_hibee
22-10-2009, 09:18 AM
all day i've been writing the date wondering why the 22nd rang a bell and meant something important. Happy birthday 6-2..!

Chuckie
22-10-2009, 09:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gUn9IRZoK0

MM1973
22-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Remember it fondly, got tickets for my birthday which was the day before!

It was the first derby for my son, who was 2 at the time, and daughter, who was five.

:thumbsup:

SidBurns
22-10-2009, 09:40 AM
I remember cheering their second goal as they didn't have any fans left! HAHA

hibsbollah
22-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Interesting to read in the match report that the 6-2 win put us 7 points clear of 4th place Rangers that year...I cant remember them having such a bad start...

IWasThere2016
22-10-2009, 09:49 AM
I'd just moved up here and switched the wireless aff after they took the lead :grr:

Much later I turned it in as Latapy collected the 1-2 and crashed it home. I could tell from the crowd reaction it was something special - I thought a 2-2 or 3-3 equaliser - and then the commetator said 6-1and I was dancing! :thumbsup:

One question though .. where were the other 399,750 that night? :greengrin

IWasThere2016
22-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Interesting to read in the match report that the 6-2 win put us 7 points clear of 4th place Rangers that year...I cant remember them having such a bad start...

Aye they'd a 0-3 v Kille at Ibrox for example, and were mince.

We just run oot of steam after February tho.

Crazyhorse
22-10-2009, 09:51 AM
I remember half time being great fun, after they had enjoyed a lead for most of the first half, they didn't half shut up when they went in 2-1 down...

I also remember turning to my mate when the 5th had just gone in and asking him what the score was. Couldn't quite believe what was happening.

....And the cheer from the home fans when Hearts scored their 2nd was brilliant - one of the very few times in life when you will hear a stadium full of Hibs fans cheering a Hearts goal.

Priceless!

That was hilarious it was so patronising. Hibs were magnificent and that was a very strong hearts team we destroyed. However anti niemi was amazing that night it would have been double figures if he hadn't made a string of world class saves.

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2009, 09:54 AM
I suppose today would be a good day for a minutes silence if you are a yam.:devil:

Baader
22-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Season ticket at the time was in the back row of the Famous Five - place was just crazy that night we were all banging the iron behind us. Had a huge night on the town afterwards to celebrate. On the whole it's still the best game I've ever seen - was an incredible night and what a performance!

Part/Time Supporter
22-10-2009, 09:57 AM

Celtic 6-2 Rangers
Hibs 1-0 Rangers
St. Johnstone 2-1 Rangers
Rangers 0-3 Killie

All those defeats were before the end of October (the last three in successive league games around the time of Hibs 6-2 Hearts). They turned it around a bit after that though, as they had quite a big injury crisis in October.

David@EasterRoad
22-10-2009, 10:13 AM
That was hilarious it was so patronising. Hibs were magnificent and that was a very strong hearts team we destroyed. However anti niemi was amazing that night it would have been double figures if he hadn't made a string of world class saves.

Let's not forget Colin Cameron turning to the 5 hearts fans still there and pumping his fist to celebrate:faf:

hibsbollah
22-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Celtic 6-2 Rangers
Hibs 1-0 Rangers
St. Johnstone 2-1 Rangers
Rangers 0-3 Killie

All those defeats were before the end of October (the last three in successive league games around the time of Hibs 6-2 Hearts). They turned it around a bit after that though, as they had quite a big injury crisis in October.

Lets hope history doesnt repeat itself this season then:greengrin

Stevie Reid
22-10-2009, 10:39 AM
anti niemi was amazing that night it would have been double figures if he hadn't made a string of world class saves.

I'm sure Mixu has previously stated that Niemi actually asked "How many was it?" at the end of the game.

Conceded 6 but still played superbly well

HibbyScott
22-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Happy Birthday 6-2 :agree:

Eggchaser
22-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Was in the centre stand with my brother who had got me the ticket for my 21st which was 2 weeks previous. If i remember right Colgan made a decent save from Durie which stopped it going to 2-0. After that it was pure magic. Football-wise it was the best I had ever seen us.

Got into The Artisan afterwards and then back to my brother's flat for jazz cigarettes and the highlights. Still going mental as all six went in. Don't think we've ever been closer.

givescotlandfreedom
22-10-2009, 11:55 AM
What a day! One of the best in my life! :flag:

WE WANT SEVEN! WE WANT SEVEN!!!

Bad Martini
22-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Recall some yamish mates phoning me when they scored...funny, they didnt phone back that week :greengrin

6-2. Have it.

ENDOF

poolman
22-10-2009, 12:22 PM

Got slaughtered in the Hebrides bar and a Yam mate was with us :faf:

But he took it in good part :agree:

DaveSo
22-10-2009, 12:31 PM
I can honestly say that when the 6th goal went in I have never had a Hibs feeling like that before and have been chasing the sensation ever since.
The feeling of euphoria was fantastic. Ended up about half a dozen rows from where I satrted from in the East terracing and everyone was going absolute mental.
A very special night. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Phil D. Rolls
22-10-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm really into these 9th Anniversary threads - so much more interesting than mundane things like 10th and 25th Anniversarys. But just as significant.

Wembley67
22-10-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm really into these 9th Anniversary threads - so much more interesting than mundane things like 10th and 25th Anniversarys. But just as significant.

Or 8th anniversary threads...

http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=132712&highlight=birthday

TheEastTerrace
22-10-2009, 12:52 PM
The ironic thing I remember from that night is that Antti Niemi had a pretty good game for the yams and made some excellent saves even though we rattled six past him.

Fife-Hibee
22-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Was sitting in a pub in Spain with my Dad and little brother with about 20 Hibbies and one Jambo with his Bird. Hearts go 1 up and he has the waiters chanting Hearts for a laugh. Fast forward 86 minutes and the waiters were dancing around shouting Latapy and Hibees! Even the Jambo's girlfriend was having a good chuckle to herself! :thumbsup:

Phil D. Rolls
22-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Or 8th anniversary threads...

http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=132712&highlight=birthday

There is a multitude of anniversaries like 2nd, 14th, and 39th that just don't get the same attention as the "big boys". It's nice to see that not everyone is into these "manufactured" remembrances and still has time for the ordinary Joe of the anniversary world.

Let's face it where would the likes of 10th, 25th, 50th and 100th be without the ground work done by the footsoldiers of the genre. It's heartening to see that they are not forgotten.

Sprouleflyer
22-10-2009, 12:59 PM
My memories apart from the goals is walking up Brunswick Road before the game and hearing the hibs fans singing in the stadium. Game was a late kickoff, the Huns had been beaten by St Johnstone earlier that day and if Hibs won we would go above them in the league. The Hibs fans were well up for that game!!!

Delboy4
22-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Can't remember the reason but I couldn't get a ticket for the match so I went to the local boozer (The Libby Inn) to watch the game, usually a Hibs pub, but that night it was only me my mate and another guy. It was hoatchin of the Maroon Baboon family...! Must have been around 60 of them.

Well, when they scored the pub went furkin wild and me and the mate went " A SH%T "

Anyway, we scored to make it 1-1 but we didn't say anything, we just walked around the corner to the hallway towards the toilet and started jumping up and down shouting YAAAASSS at the top of our voices, then returned cooly back to the bar. You should have seen their faces!:greengrin

You can imagine what we did for the 2nd, 3rd & 4th - Just the same, it was annoying the f&ck out of them...:wink:

We gave up at the 5th & 6th as they all drank up and left, there was only about 5 of them left BUT we were jumping about, STEAMIN' by the way, having a wee party to ourselves until all the mates came back from the game. :partyhibb WHAT A NIGHT.

Happy Birthday 6-2
GGTTH

HibbyAndy
22-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Latapys one two with Mixu.

Truly world class finish from an unbelievable player.

Ritchie
22-10-2009, 02:50 PM
I can honestly say that when the 6th goal went in I have never had a Hibs feeling like that before and have been chasing the sensation ever since.
The feeling of euphoria was fantastic. Ended up about half a dozen rows from where I satrted from in the East terracing and everyone was going absolute mental.
A very special night. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SNAP!!

the east was bouncing that night..... still get shivers down my spine when i think of it! :thumbsup:

spudhib
22-10-2009, 05:48 PM

A couple o weeks later it was 10 pts after Zitellis overhead peach v Dundee,they still got second comfortably tho:confused:

Gatecrasher
22-10-2009, 05:53 PM
I remember being in the pub before the game and my dad saying " we are going to thump this lot tonight" and we did :thumbsup:

Hibercelona
22-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Was only about 10 at the time... and was in Spain with family.

Remember we were watching it in a local spanish pub.

A jambo was also in the pub with his girlfriend....

Great watching her rip the utter mince out of him :greengrin

Also, the Spanish lads behind the bar were cheering on the hibees! :thumbsup:

seanshow
22-10-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm sure Mixu has previously stated that Niemi actually asked "How many was it?" at the end of the game.

I remember that i have the newspaper cutting somewhere of the interview.

As Mixu collects the match ball from Niemi, It was like he had lost track of the score.
Anti "How many goals did you score?
" Mixu - I scored three, Anti then said something to me in Finnish that I won't repeat" :greengrin

NOLA
22-10-2009, 07:14 PM
I actually don't remember anything from before the game but I do remember being shocked, stunned, ecstatic while at the game :thumbsup:

I also recall being so happy that I went to Revolution till 3am with my then burd, on a Sunday! Celebrated in style! :faf:

Sunday nights at Revolution:greengrin those were the days :thumbsup:

Broken Gnome
22-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Anyone think of two better consecutive Easter Road moments than 6-2 and the game that preceeded it?

Winston Ingram
22-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Cannae believe it was 9 yrs ago.

'On October 22 they got ****** 6-2 by the famous Edinburgh Hibees!!!'

Bayern Bru
22-10-2009, 08:05 PM
I'd been down visiting relatives near Southampton, one of whom is a Jambo! 9 years ago was also the Hatfield rail crash and yours truly was travelling by train...

Got into Haymarket about 5.50pm and somehow made it in time for the kickoff. I remember when we made it six that I was just sitting there, open mouthed at what I was seeing.

Pretty sure it was the first Hibs victory over Hearts that I witnessed. Not a bad way to start my derby history really.

john18722
22-10-2009, 08:21 PM
I had a season ticket at the back of the Famous Five and when the sixth went in me and my mate were going absolutely mental! I remember running down about 7 or 8 steps down the aisle and falling to my knees with tears running down my face cos I was so happy! The feeling I had after that goal has only ever been repeated once and that was during the CIS Cup Final v Killie. What a feeling!!!!!! I love it!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumb sup:

hibernian36
22-10-2009, 08:30 PM
I remember watching this game in benny and chubby's hoose in westburn. There were only about three or four of us who were Hibby's - myself , Deeko and a couple of others and we were well outnumbered by Yams. They were going bananas when they scored first, after that it was pure quality. After the game they put a Bob Marley CD went on and I was singing "no jambo, no cry" etc. Then on the way home, one of my so called jambo "mates" threw a becks bottle from the 3rd floor window which narrowly missed my heid and smashed on the pavement but I couldn't give a F*** ! What a night ! :thumbsup:

weecounty hibby
22-10-2009, 08:36 PM
I wasn't at the game either, already had a night out organised with my wife, sister in law and her husband. Talked them into going for a meal in Sportsters in Stirling, sat in one of the booths with the tv in it. Swore loudly when they scored. Gave a fairly loud shout of yeeeessssss when we equalised, even louder when we went in front. By the time the sixth went in I was running up and down the bar screaming like a complete nutter. If I remember rightly I may have had a drink or two afterwards.

Pretty Boy
22-10-2009, 08:53 PM
I remember watching on the telly because i was sick. Was watching with my dad and his Hertz supporting mate. He had spent the whole night mouthing off about how he didn't rate Mixu etc etc, shut up pretty sharpish.

Also remember my Grandad phoning me when he got home talking like an excited child for hours about how good it was, and he had been at the 0-7 game. Also remeber the local priest, another Hibs man, phoning to ask how it had been and then using a very uncatholic phrase to express his delight.

Storar
22-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Can't believe how long ago this was, still remember it like it was yesterday!

**** the hearts!

southfieldshibby
22-10-2009, 09:05 PM
In London the night after an awsome party at a good Hibby's hoose who now doesn't work on TV:wink:

Watched it at said hoose and hangover feelings were replaced with shock and awe.

i'm not saying i love Hibs, but i can't think of a better feeling than i had as i watched that game unfold...........and that includes the fact that I asked Kirsty Gallacher to said party and she accepted:greengrin

HIBERNIALEITH
22-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Was in the East Terracing that night! The guy who I always went to the games with, unfortunately couldn't go as his dad passed away. I took my friends son with me that night! He was 12 (maybe 13) jumping about all the seats (well, no-one was sitting down eh). He kept saying "can I come to all the games with u?" And he did from then on in! Even though I lost him once the final whistle went! Finally found him outside the ground! Can you imagine going back to his Mum who was totally europhic and then saying yeh but I lost your son! Luckily I didn't have to do that! By the way, I scored against a Jambo that night too so it was 7!!!! Ha:faf:

Pedantic_Hibee
23-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Was given a ticket before the game and was unsure whether to go or not as it was only me by myself at the age of 18.

About half an hour before kick-off I thought "****** it" and decided to go to it.

I consider myself pretty articulate and eloquent with words but nothing in my vocabulary could ever demonstrate and do justice to the emotions I felt that night.