PDA

View Full Version : Ivan

The_Horde
25-09-2009, 02:28 AM
Just been on the Bristol City forum, it seems there is only a small section of their support who like him.

Take him back in January? :greengrin

He has the desire/passion for Hibs that Yogi wants and there is no doubt that his pace would cause SPL defenders a lot of problems, add in the fact he would be desperate to prove them all wrong..

And also we can have Jonesy back by then. :greengrin

Hibercelona
25-09-2009, 03:20 AM
Do they state any reasons why most of them don't like him? :confused:

JoeT
25-09-2009, 07:02 AM
Always thought he was more an impact sub than a starter - ! wouldn't pay his wages for a bench player

hibbie02
25-09-2009, 07:38 AM

They obviously haven't seen him dance! :greengrin

Andy74
25-09-2009, 09:40 AM

Due to him having a few moments where things work but otherwise not being all that good?

bod
25-09-2009, 09:44 AM
dear god,no !

princecfl
25-09-2009, 09:48 AM
hes exactly what we need.a positive player willling to take defenders on.BRING HIM HOME

Si_17
25-09-2009, 10:14 AM
When we were staying down in Blackpool for the Bolton game, we happened to bump into a couple of Bristol City fans -they absolutely hate him.

I'd have him back in an instance if they don't want him.:agree:

Mister P
25-09-2009, 11:04 AM
If he was cheap enough and he understood he'd be an impact player then aye.

as a potential signing target intended to make a huge difference to our starting squad then naw!

LancashireHibby
25-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Having a Championship club on his CV would probably bump him out of our wage range. As mentioned, I think he's best used off the bench anyway so wouldn't be worth the outlay for his transfer fee and wages.

3pm
25-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Effective in a good team....

Hibercelona
25-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Effective in a good team....

Just like Alan O'Brien would have been? :duck:

Billychaotic182
25-09-2009, 11:44 AM
YES YES YES!!!1

He is the kind of player we need. and he would get the fans happy again.

like deek did when he came back

Sir David Gray
25-09-2009, 11:49 AM
My brother bumped into a Bristol City fan at university last week and the guy started talking about Ivan Sproule. His views reflected what their message boards obviously say in that they think he's hopeless. His nickname is apparently Forrest Gump.

If they don't want him, I would quite gladly take the guy back in a heartbeat. I think he's exactly the type of passionate character that John Hughes is looking to bring into the club.

He does have limited ability but what he lacks in skill, he more than makes up for in terms of his passion and endeavour. I would go down to Bristol myself and drive him back up to Edinburgh.

It would make my day if Ivan was to come back. :agree:

proud_and_green
25-09-2009, 11:49 AM
YES YES YES!!!1

He is the kind of player we need. and he would get the fans happy again.

like deek did when he came back

No no no,

What we need to make us happy again is winning consistently with good football being played. I'm afraid Ivan, much as i loved his spirit, will not do that, just like Deeks the Messiah has not.

LancashireHibby
25-09-2009, 11:54 AM
My brother bumped into a Bristol City fan at university last week and the guy started talking about Ivan Sproule. His views reflected what their message boards obviously say in that they think he's hopeless. His nickname is apparently Forrest Gump.

If they don't want him, I would quite gladly take the guy back in a heartbeat. I think he's exactly the type of passionate character that John Hughes is looking to bring into the club.

He does have limited ability but what he lacks in skill, he more than makes up for in terms of his passion and endeavour. I would go down to Bristol myself and drive him back up to Edinburgh.

It would make my day if Ivan was to come back. :agree:
Think that might have something to do with the goal he scored the other year when the opposition's goalkeeper had gone up for a corner and it was basically a straight race back to the goal, but Sproule couldn't stop himself running and nearly ran the ball wide :greengrin

3pm
25-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Just like Alan O'Brien would have been? :duck:

Suspect AOB might have been a bit better had he played in the team that Ivan played in.

Ivan's midfield chums of Thomson, Boozy, Brown and Ginger Boz might have been a bit stronger than AOB's of Rankin, Chisholm, Bamba and Rosa.

Or would he have been as effective? :cool2:

Hibs On Tour
25-09-2009, 12:09 PM
No no no,

What we need to make us happy again is winning consistently with good football being played. I'm afraid Ivan, much as i loved his spirit, will not do that, just like Deeks the Messiah has not.

That would be the same Deeks who has been our top scorer since his return, then? :bitchy:

Mikeystewart
25-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Having a Championship club on his CV would probably bump him out of our wage range. As mentioned, I think he's best used off the bench anyway so wouldn't be worth the outlay for his transfer fee and wages.

We have signed more unlikely targets in recent months.

JE89
25-09-2009, 12:36 PM
I don't want him back for 2 reasons.

1. He is not technically good enough.

and

2. I love Sproule and when his name is mentioned I think of that great day at Ibrox, if he came back and flopped, he'd be that guy who done well first time around but was pish second time round.
If he came back and was pish in his first two/three games I wonder how long it'd take for the Sproule lovers to get on his back :hmmm:

Not for me

Mon Dieu4
25-09-2009, 12:46 PM
I don't want him back for 2 reasons.

1. He is not technically good enough.

and

2. I love Sproule and when his name is mentioned I think of that great day at Ibrox, if he came back and flopped, he'd be that guy who done well first time around but was pish second time round.
If he came back and was pish in his first two/three games I wonder how long it'd take for the Sproule lovers to get on his back :hmmm:

Not for me

Yet he still topped the SPL assist charts one season & scored more goals than Scott Brown, maybe we should just sign Lionel Messi instead then

proud_and_green
25-09-2009, 12:48 PM
That would be the same Deeks who has been our top scorer since his return, then? :bitchy:

Not the point, my point is that we tend to view individual players as being able to single handedly turn around our problems, they cannot and do not. The problems are deeper than one player and therefroe we must be wary of attaching messianic status to players.

Phil MaGlass
25-09-2009, 12:51 PM
He can come back just for the fact of the hat trick and he doesnae huv tae kick a baw, just pay him to do hospitality and get his happy smiley face roaming the terracin on a saturday,would be great for moral.:greengrin
Not great skill wise but he got er5es off seats when he went flying doon the wing.:flying:

Hibs On Tour
25-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Not the point, my point is that we tend to view individual players as being able to single handedly turn around our problems, they cannot and do not. The problems are deeper than one player and therefroe we must be wary of attaching messianic status to players.

Don't think anyone really assigns "messianic" status to incoming players. Deek was brought back to do one thing - score goals. That, he has undoubtedly done. So, he's done [and is doing] what we brought him back to do. Can't see what the problem is, henceforth...

If a player does what we bring them back to do, job done IMHO.

Septimus
25-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Don't think he would fit in as centre half. Is that not what we need?

LancashireHibby
25-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Don't think he would fit in as centre half. Is that not what we need?

It's no fun speculating about defenders though, is it?

Haymaker
25-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Every time I have been to see Bristol City the fans I have met seem to think he is alright. Nothing special but not gash. The only problem they seem to have with him is his "Lack of a left foot".

But hey, i havent met all the BC fans out there and as we all know, some "fans" talk *****.

Baader
25-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Would like to see him back at ER at some stage. Ivan was best used off the bench though IMO.

He'd put a few on the gate though, I'm sure of that...

Andy74
25-09-2009, 02:40 PM
He'd put a few on the gate though, I'm sure of that...

Like Riordan, Stokes and Miller have done?

Baader
25-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Like Riordan, Stokes and Miller have done?

No. Like Ivan coming back would.

:confused:

Do you think Stokes and Miller were held in the same esteem as Ivan was down Leith way before they signed? Don't see the comparison here....

basehibby
25-09-2009, 03:04 PM
I'd have Sproule back if the Cider swilling Phanies at Bristol don't appreciate him.
I also don't understand why folk are saying he lacked skill - I thought his close control at speed was excellent and that's why he was so good at taking players on. On the other hand his game intelligence was pretty poor which could result in some headless chicken-like performances. But this was more than made up for by his BIG hearted approach to the game.
Folk comparing him to AOB are well off the mark IMO - not even half the player wee Ivan was :bitchy:.

Andy74
25-09-2009, 03:26 PM
No. Like Ivan coming back would.

:confused:

Do you think Stokes and Miller were held in the same esteem as Ivan was down Leith way before they signed? Don't see the comparison here....

The whole if you sign them they will come nonsense. Previous heroes, good quality signings, whatever, it makes no odds.

The gates will increase, a little, when we win regularly. Would Ivan increase the chances of that happening? No, not really.

JE89
25-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Yet he still topped the SPL assist charts one season & scored more goals than Scott Brown, maybe we should just sign Lionel Messi instead then

He has one foot and I hate to say it but is a one trick pony. His passing isn't Hibs standard, his crossing likewise and defensively is awful.

He was good in an excellent Hibs team with Garry O, Brooney, Boozy etc. Wouldn't have nearly the same impact in the current team IMO

NAE NOOKIE
25-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Not sure if Ivan would make a difference now. but it does throw up an interesting point.

Who of the Hibs players that have moved to other clubs in the last 5 years have improved as players since leaving ?

Broony..... Just as good as at ER but no better IMO
Whittaker ... nope
Sproule .. nope
Thompson ... nope
Boozy ... nope
O'Connor ... cant see it
Fletcher ... Early days, but no sign of it yet
Jones ... Have a look at the Scunthorpe message boards ( early for him too though I admit )
Caldwell ... geeza break
Murphy .... is he even getting a game now ?

Doesnt say much for the so called bigger clubs / better leagues does it.
Perhaps Hibs really do have the best coaches in the UK.

:greengrin

Hibercelona
25-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Now who in their right mind wouldn't want this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKXlgf37iFQ) back in the squad. :not worth

:singing: Over here and over there! :singing:

fife hfc
25-09-2009, 08:06 PM
He has one foot and I hate to say it but is a one trick pony. His passing isn't Hibs standard, his crossing likewise and defensively is awful.

He was good in an excellent Hibs team with Garry O, Brooney, Boozy etc. Wouldn't have nearly the same impact in the current team IMO

If is passing is so bad then it certainly is hibs standard:duck: I would take him back in a heart beat. Who since Ivan has got the fans off their feet like he did when he was on the east stand side going down the wing......nobody. He has more passion and energy than the eleven who take the field at the moment and would add a hell of alot to our team at this moment in time.

yogi984
25-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Would love the wee man back.

They games at Ibrox (2) and Parkhead will live with me forever :agree:

jakedance
25-09-2009, 08:48 PM
If it was up to me Ivan would get the keys to the city and a contract for life. He's the definition of a cult hero (in my book anyway).

Suspect AOB might have been a bit better had he played in the team that Ivan played in.

Ivan's midfield chums of Thomson, Boozy, Brown and Ginger Boz might have been a bit stronger than AOB's of Rankin, Chisholm, Bamba and Rosa.

Or would he have been as effective? :cool2:

No chance. Ivan achieved more in one poor game than Alan O'Brien achieved in his entire Hibs career.

The Harp
25-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Seems Ivan splits the fans as much in his absence just as much as he did when he was playing for us. Can't fathom some of the negative stuff but it's all about opinions I suppose.
Can't see it happening, but I'd love to see the wee man speeding down the wing at ER again, wi' the east stand rising in anticipation. :thumbsup:

The Beastie Bus
25-09-2009, 09:38 PM
If it was up to me Ivan would get the keys to the city and a contract for life. He's the definition of a cult hero (in my book anyway).

No chance. Ivan achieved more in one poor game than Alan O'Brien achieved in his entire Hibs career.

And his Swindon career for that matter.
my mate and god kids watch Swindon as I have on many an occassion and he's still a bench warmer, absolute waste of space thank god he's off our payroll:bye:

yogi984
25-09-2009, 09:42 PM

Im with you, loved the man. Final game was fitting, round the keeper against celtic........:thumbsup:

yogi984
25-09-2009, 09:44 PM
my mate and god kids watch Swindon as I have on many an occassion and he's still a bench warmer, absolute waste of space thank god he's off our payroll:bye:

He's also a bigger tit up town than the rest of the players put together. People think Stokesy acts a big shot! Jeeez! :bye:

FranckSuzy
25-09-2009, 09:46 PM

Sorry, but Swindon? Maybe I've missed something?!

Hibercelona
25-09-2009, 09:48 PM

I believe the poster was talking about AOB. :agree:

I was bamboozled as well at first, as I thought he was talking about wee Ivan.

yogi984
25-09-2009, 09:50 PM

Correct :agree:

FranckSuzy
25-09-2009, 09:54 PM

Correct :agree:

Cheers guys! Was thinking I was losing the plot there, well, more than normal :greengrin

The Beastie Bus
25-09-2009, 09:56 PM

Yes, was talking aboot O'Brien - when did Ivan play for Swindon?

O'Brien signed for Swindon and has hardly kicked a ball......again

yogi984
25-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Cheers guys! Was thinking I was losing the plot there, well, more than normal :greengrin

:greengrin Mon the Ivan :top marks

StokePogesHibs
25-09-2009, 10:06 PM
When I look at his 'tribute video' on U tube. I'd personally drive him and his family up from Bristol to sign........'We all dream of a team of Ivan Sproules......':agree:

yogi984
25-09-2009, 10:08 PM
When I look at his 'tribute video' on U tube. I'd personally drive him and his family up from Bristol to sign........'We all dream of a team of Ivan Sproules......':agree:

Its mainly because when he scores you can tell he feels the exact same as us! Love the guy.

Number 1, is Ivan Sproule.......

FranckSuzy
25-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Yes, was talking aboot O'Brien - when did Ivan play for Swindon?

O'Brien signed for Swindon and has hardly kicked a ball......again

Exactly my friend! That's what confused me. Anyhow, it's all good as I get that you were actually talking about AOB and not IS. GGTTH

The Beastie Bus
25-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Exactly my friend! That's what confused me. Anyhow, it's all good as I get that you were actually talking about AOB and not IS. GGTTH

I confused myself, need to close the bar or reduce the measures:wink:

GGTTH

The_Horde
25-09-2009, 10:21 PM
I think he'd make a difference in the team, where did i ever say he was the messiah or the single saviour of all our problems?

At the moment we have a lack of

A. Width

B. Pace

C. Direct players who are willing to run at defenders.

D. Players who wear their heart on their sleeve and never give up.

And he IMO has all of B C and D and he would give us A.

FranckSuzy
25-09-2009, 10:29 PM
I confused myself, need to close the bar or reduce the measures:wink:

GGTTH

Guid lad! Get them racked :wink:

yogi984
25-09-2009, 10:30 PM
I think he'd make a difference in the team, where did i ever say he was the messiah or the single saviour of all our problems?

At the moment we have a lack of

A. Width

B. Pace

C. Direct players who are willing to run at defenders.

D. Players who wear their heart on their sleeve and never give up.

And he IMO has all of B C and D and he would give us A.

And with all that Id love it (keegan) if he came back :agree::agree:

FranckSuzy
25-09-2009, 10:31 PM
And with all that Id love it (keegan) if he came back :agree::agree:

OMG, I mis-read that as Keenan at first. :bitchy: FFS :greengrin

yogi984
25-09-2009, 10:34 PM
OMG, I mis-read that as Keenan at first. :bitchy: FFS :greengrin

Morton aside no danger, although the way
Morris has performed recently it looks like we got the wrong chelsea reject, not Maka, Keenan or Morais :bitchy: