View Full Version : Eddie Turnbull on Radio Scotland

BS44
18-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Brian Cooney interviews Eddie Turnbull.

Thursday 11.30am.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mtpm7

tigerted
19-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Radio Scotland has a programme and interview with Ned this Thursday around 11.30am.

Check it out live or BBC iPlayer.

AK86
19-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Radio Scotland has a programme and interview with Ned this Thursday around 11.30am.

Check it out live or BBC iPlayer.
:thumbsup: thanks for that will defo catch it
must be the biggest Hibee legend around and can still been seen at ER

Jonnyboy
19-09-2009, 09:15 PM
:thumbsup: thanks for that will defo catch it
must be the biggest Hibee legend around and can still been seen at ER

Together with Lawrie Reilly :agree:

richard_pitts
19-09-2009, 09:20 PM
To my mind Eddie Turnbull is the greatest ever Hibee - Played in the famous 5, the best ever hibs team, and managed Turnbull's tornadoes, arguably the second-best ever Hibs team. I do wonder when he would have been sold by if he was playing today though :boo hoo:

truehibernian
19-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Would love to see the new stand named after him.......could (and still do) listen to Eddie's opinion on the game and Hibs all day. Lovely man and you still see him getting out and about in Stockbridge now and again. Doesn't get to the away games as much due to health not being as good which I know annoys him. Legend full stop.

Granton Stanton
21-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Not sure if this has been posted or not but there is an interview with Ned by Brian Cooney on Radio Scotland on thursday, 11:30 I think.

one of the quotes their using on the trailer

"Eddie is it true you once said that you have fallen out with everyone you've ever met"

"At one time or another, aye"

that sounds about right. Worst autograph giver ever. "After the game son" was all I ever got.

GS

cabbageandribs1875
21-09-2009, 05:33 PM
yep someone posted last week about it, deserves a bump http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mtpm7 :agree:

The Harp
21-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Heard this publicised on Radio Scotland at the weekend, it's in the series 'Stuff of Legends' on Thurs morning at 11.30.
Should be worth listening to. :thumbsup:

sunshine1875
22-09-2009, 11:52 AM
yep someone posted last week about it, deserves a bump http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mtpm7 :agree:

Another bump.

I assume it will be available to hear on their website after Thursday.

Phil D. Rolls
22-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Not sure if this has been posted or not but there is an interview with Ned by Brian Cooney on Radio Scotland on thursday, 11:30 I think.

one of the quotes their using on the trailer

"Eddie is it true you once said that you have fallen out with everyone you've ever met"

"At one time or another, aye"

that sounds about right. Worst autograph giver ever. "After the game son" was all I ever got.

GS

You did well, most kids only got "***** off".

'Mon the Hibs
22-09-2009, 05:40 PM
My good friend worked on the production of this programme. So it's gonna be good!:wink::thumbsup:

Ollie Reed
23-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Just heard the trailer, so another bump up...

surreyhibbie
23-09-2009, 09:45 PM

I just got a glare! mind you we'd just lost to Dumbarton....

scared the crap out me at the time, though. :greengrin

Dan Sarf
24-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Eddie Turnbull feature on Radio Scotland just started 11.30

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mtpm7
:thumbsup:

Leithenhibby
24-09-2009, 10:42 AM
:thumbsup: This man is a true legend in my eyes! cracking listen :agree:

zlatan
24-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Don't suppose they said at the start who was producing this?

sleeping giant
24-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Listening to Ned right now:thumbsup:

Some of his memories are superb:greengrin

I didn't not know he used to wind up the Old Form fans at throw ins:faf:

Baader
24-09-2009, 10:57 AM
About time Eddie was honoured for his services to football. Sally McCoist is an MBE FFS!!!!

Dan Sarf
24-09-2009, 11:01 AM
If you missed it, have a listen when it comes on iPlayer. Stirring stuff! :thumbsup:

Leithenhibby
24-09-2009, 11:07 AM
About time Eddie was honoured for his services to football. Sally McCoist is an MBE FFS!!!!

And do you think ET would thank you for it, just think everyone would feel as if they were walking on eggshells just saying "good morning Mr Turnbull"

Funny, serious, humorous, knowledgeable, and legend springs to mind.

MBE I'm not so sure, but then I'm not into that P!sh..:wink:

johnrebus
24-09-2009, 11:14 AM
One major fault with this programme.

:grr:

It wasn't long enough.

Could have listened to the old bugger all day

:greengrin

Baader
24-09-2009, 11:15 AM

And do you think ET would thank you for it, just think everyone would feel as if they were walking on eggshells just saying "good morning Mr Turnbull"

Funny, serious, humorous, knowledgeable, and legend springs to mind.

MBE I'm not so sure, but then I'm not into that P!sh..:wink:

I'm not into that either. But maybe Eddie is? Who knows? And like it or not it does actually go on so he should certainly be considered. God knows there are far less mortals with them for 'services to football'.

People walk on eggshells in the presence of ET all the time anyway so nae change there then!

HibbiesandtheBaddies
24-09-2009, 11:26 AM
One major fault with this programme.

:grr:

It wasn't long enough.

Could have listened to the old bugger all day

:greengrin

:agree: Not enough Hibs questions either, or about his playing days.:grr:

PeeJay
24-09-2009, 11:36 AM
:agree: Not enough Hibs questions either, or about his playing days.:grr:

I didn't catch the beginning of the programme, but from what I heard he spoke quite a lot about Aberdeen - no wonder really considering the success he had there! No messing with ET though, he's honest and open with his opinions, liked his recollection of the Hart/Best era:faf:.

Leithenhibby
24-09-2009, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=LeithenHibby;2186534]

I'm not into that either. But maybe Eddie is? Who knows? And like it or not it does actually go on so he should certainly be considered. God knows there are far less mortals with them for 'services to football'.

People walk on eggshells in the presence of ET all the time anyway so nae change there then!

which answers my question really! as useful as a chocolate teapot, but aye your right ET may well be cock-a-hoop with an Honor such as MBE...I want to know now, if he would accept it or tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine :greengrin We may never know.

sleeping giant
24-09-2009, 11:45 AM
I didn't catch the beginning of the programme, but from what I heard he spoke quite a lot about Aberdeen - no wonder really considering the success he had there! No messing with ET though, he's honest and open with his opinions, liked his recollection of the Hart/Best era:faf:.
:faf:

Phone Hart :faf:

'Mon the Hibs
24-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Did you hear any match footage? I supplied my friend with some DVD's of Hibs footage for the audio! It was my friend who produced this. :thumbsup:

Willl listen later.

Leithenhibby
24-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Did you hear any match footage? I supplied my friend with some DVD's of Hibs footage for the audio! It was my friend who produced this. :thumbsup:

Willl listen later.

Yes, but you will have to listen later...:wink:

Baader
24-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Could've done with longer. Too difficult to fit in 40 years of fitba stories to 30 mins. An hour would've been better for him to talk more at length. With his stories though you'd more likely need weeks!

Imagine how ET would deal with some of the players currently at ER? They wouldn't know what had hit them! Doubt Eddie's type could actually manage in the modern game what with players being the ones with all the aces now...

HibbiesandtheBaddies
24-09-2009, 12:26 PM

Willl listen later.

:agree: Commentary of the first goal in the 7-0 at Tynie.

blackpoolhibs
24-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Can we listen to it again?

RigRoars
24-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Can we listen to it again?

Yes,click link on OP.
On beeb site just hit listen.

Baader
24-09-2009, 12:47 PM
iPlayer link if it's needed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00mtpm7/Stuff_of_Legends_Episode_1/

:thumbsup:

Alan62
24-09-2009, 12:49 PM

I got told to "***** off, son, and go get the players" after a summer training session at the Civil Service Club in Marine Drive back in the early 70s. I told Ned about this many years later and he seemed quite surprised.

He is a great man, however, and a true Hibernian legend so I am very proud that he took the time to tell me to '***** off'. :wink:

johnrebus
24-09-2009, 02:24 PM
I think the best bit was when he told how he dealt with Fud.., sorry, Joe Harper.

He battered him..........,

Not quite hard enough though, Eh Eddie........., ?

:rolleyes:

Jaz
24-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Could've done with longer. Too difficult to fit in 40 years of fitba stories to 30 mins. An hour would've been better for him to talk more at length. With his stories though you'd more likely need weeks!

Imagine how ET would deal with some of the players currently at ER? They wouldn't know what had hit them! Doubt Eddie's type could actually manage in the modern game what with players being the ones with all the aces now...

Read his book, "Having a Ball". It's superb!

Baader
24-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Read his book, "Having a Ball". It's superb!

I have and agree with you - it's a super read.

Guys like him are from a time we will never see again and so think we should make the most of a massive part of our history. Winnae be around forever, sadly.

Turnbull for me is probably the greatest son of Hibernian FC - played in our most successful ever team (and the greatest forward line Scotland has ever seen) and also delivered as a manager. Cannae get enough of some of his anecdotes (although can imagine he would have been an absolute b***er to have as your boss!!!)

:top marks

Speedway
25-09-2009, 12:50 PM
I have and agree with you - it's a super read.

Guys like him are from a time we will never see again and so think we should make the most of a massive part of our history. Winnae be around forever, sadly.

Turnbull for me is probably the greatest son of Hibernian FC - played in our most successful ever team (and the greatest forward line Scotland has ever seen) and also delivered as a manager. Cannae get enough of some of his anecdotes (although can imagine he would have been an absolute b***er to have as your boss!!!)

:top marks

Aye, fair enough but would you have him or Nish up front?

Hiber-nation
25-09-2009, 01:34 PM
I got told to "***** off, son, and go get the players" after a summer training session at the Civil Service Club in Marine Drive back in the early 70s. I told Ned about this many years later and he seemed quite surprised.

He is a great man, however, and a true Hibernian legend so I am very proud that he took the time to tell me to '***** off'. :wink:

When Eddie had Macs Bar in Easter Road my mate got a bad pint and summoned up the courage to take it back:

"I think the lager's off Eddie"
"****** off son"

Phil D. Rolls
25-09-2009, 03:21 PM

Ned maybe honest, but at times I think he remembers things differently from the rest of us. He just won't have it that the Harper signing was a disaster for the club.

cockneymike
29-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Just thought that I'd give this a wee bump.

Tremendous stuff, from our club's greatest ever servant!

It's on iplayer for another 5 days.

PeeJay
29-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Ned maybe honest, but at times I think he remembers things differently from the rest of us. He just won't have it that the Harper signing was a disaster for the club.

Was he really a disaster? Harper scored plenty of goals at ER, yet he was certainly never loved by the fans. Harper claims in his book that he would rather have gone to Pittodrie than ER, but Eddie had a soft spot for Harper - particularly after their time together at Pittoddrie.
But Harper didn't really like us and "we" never liked him very much (well I did, sometimes) but then again he did score three goals for us in a cup final and I guess everyone knows the story of him scoring 5 at ER and then being soundly booed off! Would any other fans do that ... :faf:

It wasn't the worst transfer Eddie was involved in though: that was getting rid of Pat Stanton - a stupid move!:agree:

Phil D. Rolls
29-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Was he really a disaster? Harper scored plenty of goals at ER, yet he was certainly never loved by the fans. Harper claims in his book that he would rather have gone to Pittodrie than ER, but Eddie had a soft spot for Harper - particularly after their time together at Pittoddrie.
But Harper didn't really like us and "we" never liked him very much (well I did, sometimes) but then again he did score three goals for us in a cup final and I guess everyone knows the story of him scoring 5 at ER and then being soundly booed off! Would any other fans do that ... :faf:

It wasn't the worst transfer Eddie was involved in though: that was getting rid of Pat Stanton - a stupid move!:agree:

Another area where Ned's memory is selective. I agree Harper wasn't his worst signing, the old git seemed to go out of his way to buy duds towards the end of his career: Rikki Fleming, Gerry O'Brien, Willie Temperley, Joe Ward and many many more.

I think Ned was unable to build a second team, after he'd decided that the Tornados weren't going to do it.

ancient hibee
29-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Et always looked like he was at death's door back then-must be strong as an ox.

Perspective
29-09-2009, 10:13 PM
A great listen and much better than Michael Stewart's stab at investigative journalism ('Final Whistle', also on iPlayer).

I can't help but think of John Hughes as a kindred spirit obviously not in playing terms but in the commitment to hard graft.