PDA

View Full Version : Get Lewis Stevenson back in at left back!

MussyHibby
20-09-2009, 07:17 AM
Yogi continues to persevere with PH, who to me right now isn't good enough. Been watching the last couple of games and noticed how often he doesn't win balls in the air. Hamilton 2nd goal last week was a perfect case in point and again yesterday, he lost an quite a few arial challenges.

Could LS do a better job? Not sure Yogi fancies him?

hibbie02
20-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Yogi continues to persevere with PH, who to me right now isn't good enough. Been watching the last couple of games and noticed how often he doesn't win balls in the air. Hamilton 2nd goal last week was a perfect case in point and again yesterday, he lost an quite a few arial challenges.

And how exactly is Stevenson going to win more headers? :confused: Stevenson's strength used to be in his running withthe ball. No one seems to do that at Hibs these days apart from Zoumma.

From what I saw Hanlon had a better game than McCormack. I think McCormack will improve, but he is not there yet. RB is more of a problem.

HFC 0-7
20-09-2009, 07:25 AM

I think Hanlon and McCormack were singled out yesterday by St Johnstone. they knew this was a way they could get at hibs. Hanlon is OK in my opinion but is week in the air. I think Stevenson would be worse as he is so small. I think a CB is required and move Murray out to the left.

I think what didnt help is that we never played a flat back 4 a lot of the time yesterday. As soon as we got the ball the left and right back hugged the touch line and moved much further forward than the back 2. The ball was promptly bashed into the air by the defence into midfield, but because of the lack of height it came straight back causing the left and right back. St johnstone are quite a big physical side so I wasnt surprised that we wouldnt win a lot in the air.

MussyHibby
20-09-2009, 07:26 AM
I was talking mainly of PH's curent overall play, point taken on the headers, but in general I feel PH isn't good enough. I actually believe despite being smaller LS would probably be better in the air than PH!

LS has hardly had a run, he'd gtruggle to get into our midfield, so why not give him a run at LB. As for RB, I don't disagree either, it was though a post about getting LS back in the team!:wink:

HFC 0-7
20-09-2009, 07:32 AM
And how exactly is Stevenson going to win more headers? :confused: Stevenson's strength used to be in his running withthe ball. No one seems to do that at Hibs these days apart from Zoumma.

From what I saw Hanlon had a better game than McCormack. I think McCormack will improve, but he is not there yet. RB is more of a problem.

Not sure exactly of the formation, seemed to be a 4-5-1 and a 4-3-3 at times. It looked like wotherspoon was getting dragged away a lot into the middle of the park leaving McCormack exposed. McCormack looked very nervy yesterday and it could be seen when he couldnt control the ball.

Because he was exposed he seemed to be in 2 minds a lot as to go to the ball or not. I think he will improve in time but until then he needs protection from the right of midfield. As much as I thought Murray and Bamba played well, it looked to me as if they were getting sucked together quite a lot andplaying very narrow in the middle, leaving quite a lot of distance between them and the right and left back. I think it will come off, Murray and Bamab need time to get an understanding, then they can maybe support the left and right back more, McCormack is young and I think he is a CB and not a RB so it is a learning experience. Hanlon did look weak in the air and I think this was down to his position. he likes to get tight on the man and this gives him not run and jump, which he needs as he isnt the tallest. I think Yogi may have found the correct people to play, but it will take time.

As for the midfield, great people in there, but positioning seems to be a problem. Mcbride was getting pulled around a lot and Yogi made sure he knew about it. Judging by the amount of shouting Yogi was doing regarding the midfields positioning it would suggest that it is pretty much a learning experience in there as well at the moment.

Beefster
20-09-2009, 07:40 AM

I thought Hanlon played well yesterday.

Barney McGrew
20-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Hamilton 2nd goal last week was a perfect case in point and again yesterday, he lost an quite a few arial challenges

Hamilton' second goal last week was caused by Bamba drifting out to the left to go for a ball he was never getting near, which left Courier unmarked when the ball came back across goal.

Dashing Bob S
20-09-2009, 08:06 AM
I like the way Yogi is sticking with McCormack and Hanlon and allowing them to play their way into the attacking full-back role.

Yes, McCormack is a centre-back and if he learns at FB, fine. If not then it might be possible for he and Murray to swap.

Hanlon is a much better prospect than LS at LB in my opinion.

I like Stevenson but he's down the pecking order in the midfield now. If he can't force his way Yogi's plans he might be off in January.

Judas Iscariot
20-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Hanlon is still relatively new to the 1st team, he's still learning a lot and improving with every game..

With LS I've not seen anything from him in terms of improvement or the ability to hold down a starting slot..

Think he will be away in January or the Summer..

villager
20-09-2009, 09:10 AM

agreed. i'm not yet dark on dmac although he needs to improve his passing 100% and give his man more to think about when hes marking him up.

jakedance
20-09-2009, 09:13 AM

Me too. I like Stevenson but he's not a left back. Hanlon's our best option in that position.

Toaods
20-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Me too. I like Stevenson but he's not a left back. Hanlon's our best option in that position.

Hanlon done well after a rash first ten minutes where he seemed to misread the ball in almost every move he made. He has height and power and for me is a great prospect for us.

Without doubt I'd persevere with him at left back, rather like Hearts have done with Lee Wallace, the difference being Hanlon will become a more complete player that can play in the middle too.

I'm afraid that Lewis Stevenson has virtually no chance of getting the nod ahead of Hanlon interms of regular starting slot and like Number_ 10 's earlier post, I see him leaving soon either on loan or to another contract with another club.

Franck is God
20-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Hanlon got stronger as the game went on yesterday after starting quite poorly but then that could be leveled at the whole team.

McCormack didn't have a great game yesterday, I think he is more naturally left sided though which will never help at right back.

I though one possible issue at the back yesterday was Hogg being left out, I'm not going to argue that he has had a great start to the season and if you are just simply comparing the form of Hogg, Bamba & Murray then Hogg is the one you leave out but one thing he does is shout and organise, that did seem to be missing yesterday.

I probably would have gone with a back four of McCormack, Hogg, Bamba & Murray at left back, hard luck on Hanlon but not everyone can play.

Jonnyboy
20-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Thought Hanlon struggled in the aerial duel with Martin Hardie early doors and so Lewis would have been in the same boat IMO

Darren - defender first and foremost and did quite well in that regard. Distribution was poor but he'll learn

Sir David Gray
20-09-2009, 01:06 PM

:agree: I've seen quite a few posts since last night criticising Hanlon's performance yesterday but I thought he had a good game, particularly in the second half.

Steve20
20-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Hanlon played well yesterday.

Ell_Chrisso
20-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Paul Hanlon, and Darren Mcormack were both definatly targetted yesterday by St Johnstone.
Hardie was definatly used for his attributes against weaker opponents in the air in Hanlon and Mcormack.
They are both good footballers, but they now need to take the experience of being beaten in the air by someone who is bigger and stronger, and learn from it.
think they could both be doing with getting to the gym, and working harder in training on headers against bigger opponents. I cant remember Hardie once being out jumped by the two of them.
Apart from that long ball threat to put us under pressure, i think the two players both had a decent game, Mcormack being the better of the two.

NAE NOOKIE
20-09-2009, 01:36 PM
I thought Hanlon was OK yesterday after a poor start, him and 10 others in that regard.

McCormack seemed to lose concentration off and on throughout the game and was nearly cought out in the 1st half when he just didnt seem to realise there was a forward behind him and we could have easily lost a goal as a result.

Noticed at half time that Yogi was straight onto the pitch and made a beeline for him, not sure what he was saying, but it didnt look like "good first half son" to me.

Not sure that giving a young player a bollocking in public is a good idea though, if thats what it was.

spudhib
20-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Hanlon got stronger as the game went on yesterday after starting quite poorly but then that could be leveled at the whole team.

McCormack didn't have a great game yesterday, I think he is more naturally left sided though which will never help at right back.

I though one possible issue at the back yesterday was Hogg being left out, I'm not going to argue that he has had a great start to the season and if you are just simply comparing the form of Hogg, Bamba & Murray then Hogg is the one you leave out but one thing he does is shout and organise, that did seem to be missing yesterday.

I probably would have gone with a back four of McCormack, Hogg, Bamba & Murray at left back, hard luck on Hanlon but not everyone can play.

Darren has a good left peg but he is most deffo right footed.

Toaods
20-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Noticed at half time that Yogi was straight onto the pitch and made a beeline for him, not sure what he was saying, but it didnt look like "good first half son" to me.

Not sure that giving a young player a bollocking in public is a good idea though, if thats what it was.

Yogi was on his case throughout the 1st half. Perhaps McCormack is the type that needs a bollocking.

After Mixu sitting like a bairn with a burst balloon for a year and a half, I'm just glad someone's getting a verbal volley...:greengrin

Bayern Bru
20-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Thought for the day - Is Yogi persevering with One Punch and PH because he's waiting for Barr and an unnamed LB in January...?

:hmmm:

Franck is God
20-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Darren has a good left peg but he is most deffo right footed.

fair enough, I like him as a player and have been waiting for him to get a chance in the middle but if right back is where he is going to get his opportunity then i hope he takes it.

Mibbes Aye
20-09-2009, 04:57 PM

:agree: Thought he did well enough and am more than happy for him to be given the time and space to grow into the LB position because there's a potential for him to be a very good player for us.

Consistency of selection across the back four would be a positive - we've not really managed that yet, but hopefully we can settle into a line-up (and Saturday's has potential) which can be sustained for a good while.

Shrekko
20-09-2009, 05:09 PM

Stevenson's popularity has IMO got very little to so with his level of performance as quite frankly he's been very poor for over 2 years. I'm afraid I'm not one of those who would have a mediocre player selected because he seems like a nice wee guy or even that he had a few games 3 years ago.
Paul Hanlon on the other hand has a few rough edges but all the makings of an excellent full back. Hopefully Yogi is more patient than the OP :wink:

ancient hibee
20-09-2009, 06:06 PM
I expect Hogg to be back on Tuesday and Murray to be at full back.We can't expect St.J.to miss as many chances again.

crash
20-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Yes, McCormack is a centre-back and if he learns at FB, fine. If not then it might be possible for he and Murray to swap.

Would agree with that. McCormack looks like a centre half trying to fill in at Full Back, and any opposition manager will exploit this.

Wee Ian
20-09-2009, 06:46 PM
I expect Hogg to be back on Tuesday and Murray to be at full back.We can't expect St.J.to miss as many chances again.

Totally agree.

Think the young full-backs need to be given games but Tuesdays cup game isn't one of them....

fife hfc
20-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Have just watched the game again and feel that both played better than I originally thought. apart from the first ten minutes and a five to ten minute spell in the second half, the defence coped with everything reasonably well.

I would stick with both and no way should Murray be taken out of the centre position as he was superb and Bamba also had an excellent game, both just need to develop an understanding.

Mibbes Aye
20-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Have just watched the game again and feel that both played better than I originally thought. apart from the first ten minutes and a five to ten minute spell in the second half, the defence coped with everything reasonably well.

I would stick with both and no way should Murray be taken out of the centre position as he was superb and Bamba also had an excellent game, both just need to develop an understanding.

:agree: I was happy with Murray and Bamba yesterday, not sure how many minutes they have had together as a CH partnership in all (was yesterday the first?), but there is some potential there. The crucial thing with good defences IMO is stability and consistency -we've yet to achieve that this season - but Hanlon and McCormack are both worth sticking with in the FB slots IMO.

It has the potential to be a very decent defence, but it's got to be given the time to become a decent defence. With Hanlon and McCormack, despite their raw talent, we're talking about players with around thirty starts for the first team between them. They need time and understanding and support from us.

Comiston Hibee
20-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Hanlon played well yesterday.

Yesterday was my 1st game at ER this season and I thought Hanlon was excellent. I also suggested to ma bro that he could play CH if he keeps growing and bulking up

Speedway
21-09-2009, 12:38 PM

So the defence that started at Hamilton then?

Green Mikey
21-09-2009, 01:03 PM
I think Hanlon and McCormack were singled out yesterday by St Johnstone. they knew this was a way they could get at hibs. Hanlon is OK in my opinion but is week in the air. I think Stevenson would be worse as he is so small. I think a CB is required and move Murray out to the left.

I think what didnt help is that we never played a flat back 4 a lot of the time yesterday. As soon as we got the ball the left and right back hugged the touch line and moved much further forward than the back 2. The ball was promptly bashed into the air by the defence into midfield, but because of the lack of height it came straight back causing the left and right back. St johnstone are quite a big physical side so I wasnt surprised that we wouldnt win a lot in the air.

A week in the air....for being poor in the air he can spend a long time up there:wink:

HFC 0-7
21-09-2009, 01:09 PM
A week in the air....for being poor in the air he can spend a long time up there:wink:

Very good smart erse! You should be a teacher! :grr:

Mickey Edwards
21-09-2009, 01:57 PM
I think at the moment they both lack urgency to stop crosses...it's too easy to whip a ball in to the Hibs box at the moment.

PH and DM also seem to lack a bit of pace/sharpness for such young lads.

The best RB at the club is McCann....I hope he regains fitness pronto ; he's an asset defensively and offensively.

At the mo I would put Stevenson back at his original / preferred position of LB, handles the ball a wee bit better than Hanlon I think......

Hanlon and McCormack to fight it out with the others for a CH berth.

Hibs90
21-09-2009, 02:24 PM
I think Hanlon's been doing well this season. Made the position his own. Daz does the defensive work fine but isn't so great going so forward. I would have McCann in there instead.

PISTOL1875
21-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I think Hanlon's been doing well this season. Made the position his own. Daz does the defensive work fine but isn't so great going so forward. I would have McCann in there instead.

Stevenson is better in midfield.. Hanlon will be LB for the time being.. He is playing well at the moment going to be a valuable player for us this season....

Andy74
21-09-2009, 02:31 PM
If we are truly to progress as a team and we want proper attacking full backs to give us our width then we'll need two new full backs in due course.

Hanlon and McCormack are defenders and I keep hearing both want to play centre half. I'm not sure, at this stage in their careers, either are good enough to be centre halfs in a team going for 3rd place or better.

Wotherspoon being converted may be an answer on the right but I think he's happier further up the park.

If we do sign Barr I doubt it'd be for right back, he's more likely to be used as competition for centre half.

So, a couple of attacking full backs in January would be a good step towards really building a team.

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Wee lewis is a good tackler but he is not big enough to play at the back. Mind you, the biggest reason why he should not play at the back is of course, that he is a midfielder. As we are now overloaded with midfielders, the fairest thing to do for this boy is let him go in the next transfer window. Shame though. It my long held and often posted opinion that he was the natural replacement for Katy but it seems not to have worked out that way.

Phil MaGlass
21-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Hanlon had a nightmare and you could see the rest of the team noticed as when he had acres of space on the right nobody passed him the ball, I was screaming to pass to him,dont know if I imagned it or not.

IWasThere2016
21-09-2009, 03:44 PM
I watched on BBC Alba but Hanlon looked solid IMHO

Hamilton' second goal last week was caused by Bamba drifting out to the left to go for a ball he was never getting near, which left Courier unmarked when the ball came back across goal.

:agree:

Craig_in_Prague
21-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Hanlon is an excellent player, who no doubt will have the odd bad game, but considering his age, he's done very well IMO and deserves to continue in the team to get more experience.
We might want better, but let's not forget we could have Zarabi and DVZ as full backs!

Callum Booth hopefully will step up soon, looks a great prospect. In the meantime I'm more than happy for Hanlon at LB and giving him the chance to develop/improve.

JimBHibees
21-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Hanlon is an excellent player, who no doubt will have the odd bad game, but considering his age, he's done very well IMO and deserves to continue in the team to get more experience.
We might want better, but let's not forget we could have Zarabi and DVZ as full backs!

Callum Booth hopefully will step up soon, looks a great prospect. In the meantime I'm more than happy for Hanlon at LB and giving him the chance to develop/improve.

Totally agree think he is a star of the future and will only get better. Good that he is getting such good experience at this stage of his career.

Delboy*
21-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Hanlon is still relatively new to the 1st team, he's still learning a lot and improving with every game..

With LS I've not seen anything from him in terms of improvement or the ability to hold down a starting slot..

Think he will be away in January or the Summer..

Agreed.

Lewis seems to have gone back a bit and i hope im wrong but i feel that he has lost that youthfull effervesance and carefree attitude.

I think that Hanlon is a player that could claim LB at Hibs for many years to come and would benefit from an extended spell in the starting 11.

Not sure about McCormack tho, i was told he's a Centre Back n if thats true, then im sorry but he's not big enough to play CB n i dont think he's good enough to play RB. Vanganten was better going forward!:duck:
I wish him all the best tho n will cheer him on n hopefully he will prove me wrong!

MussyHibby
22-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Just wonder how many disagree now. For me, Hanlon is getting worse!

For Saturday, get Wotherspoon at RB, Stevenson at LB, Cregg in midfield and Zemmama in for Miller.

GreenPJ
22-09-2009, 10:49 PM
With the signings Yogi has made and the current players in the squad I would say he has to try a 3-5-2 with LS and DW being the wing backs and take your pick from Hogg/Bamba/Hanlon, Hogg/Murray/Hanlon with Murray or Bamba moving into the holding midfield role to give us some bite.

I would also drop Riordan and give Benji a chance with Stokes.