PDA

View Full Version : Stokes 'In Nightclub Brawl'

millarco
18-09-2009, 11:12 PM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/2645195/Hibernian-star-in-nightclub-brawl.html

Certainly not the most reliable of sources but still not good to read. The team selection will be interesting.

.SeventyFive
18-09-2009, 11:18 PM
It's becoming almost comic.

Peevemor
18-09-2009, 11:18 PM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/2645195/Hibernian-star-in-nightclub-brawl.html

Certainly not the most reliable of sources but still not good to read. The team selection will be interesting.

I notice it doesn't say when this is meant to have happened.

Prof. Shaggy
18-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Sunday night?

johnbc70
18-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Oh well, I suppose it was only a matter of time.

PedroEdin84
18-09-2009, 11:27 PM
I always think you can read too much into these incidents. Althought it does not look good on the player/club, who is too say what actually happened? Is the doorman a Jambo looking for a few quid for his story from the sun? Is the alleged abuse they recieved from other fans trying to take advantage of the situation? As long as they turn up on the saturday and give 110% to the cause then they are allowed to, just like the rest of us, enjoy a good drink on our days off and have a good time with mates. Its only when it affects the performance (ie going out night before game) that it needs to become a major issue.

So on the back of this im betting Stokes 1st goal at 5/1 on ladbrokes! :greengrin

iwasthere1972
18-09-2009, 11:30 PM

So it was a "Boom Bang a Bang" at Lulu's. :wink:

It will be interesting to see if Stokes starts tomorrow. If he doesn't then I suspect the story has some truth to it.

monktonharp
18-09-2009, 11:30 PM
this is just brilliant news! just what the club needs. what the f/ck do these guys think they are? and before anyone says not guilty till proven,it looks like it was not him that started it rather some torag that he's brought up from down south.still puts the club in a bad light.:fuming:

PedroEdin84
18-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Ps im not saying that acting this way is ok, im just making a point that things can be taken out context so easily these days and its good news for papers to pick up on and splash over the front pages.

Gatecrasher
18-09-2009, 11:34 PM
So what did stokes actually do:confused:

all that should come of this is that stokes should get rid of his :asshole:Pal

silverhibee
18-09-2009, 11:36 PM

Heard about this on Monday night, and his pal they talk about is a Hibs player as well (alledgedley) and picked up an injury through the week.
Now wee know the egos Yogi is talking about now, and it aint Deeks.

PedroEdin84
18-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Also just another point on my last comment regarding the newspapers love these stories. The incident happened on Sunday night, So it only actually hits the papers the Saturday morning before a relatively important game for us. Surely it would have been news by now....?

EskbankHibby
18-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Only surprise is that we are not playing the OF this weekend, nice they threw in a wee racist component a well.

Pete
18-09-2009, 11:39 PM
So what did stokes actually do:confused:

all that should come of this is that stokes should get rid of his :asshole:Pal

It's somebodys word against someone elses that racial abuse even took place.

Who's to say the black guy isn't just making it up? he just might have wanted to smack somebody.

Total non-story.

silverhibee
18-09-2009, 11:40 PM
So it was a "Boom Bang a Bang" at Lulu's. :wink:

It will be interesting to see if Stokes starts tomorrow. If he doesn't then I suspect the story has some truth to it.

He will play tomorrow, but i believe the story has some truth about as well.

iwasthere1972
18-09-2009, 11:48 PM
So this incident happened on Sunday night yet we have an article in the Scotsman from Tuesday which states that Miller and Stokes had both knocked on their manager's door this week (BEAR IN MIND THE ARTICLE IS TUESDAY SO I WOULD PRESUME THEY WENT TO SEE YOGI ON MONDAY) asking to get more game time under their belts in bounce matches and that was music to JH's ears.

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Stokes-and-Miller-set-the.5646829.jp

Something doesn't add up. If Stokes was so drunk on Sunday he must have sobered up quickly to go and see Yogi on Monday for more game time.

Toaods
18-09-2009, 11:49 PM
:singing:.....you know it makes me wanna.......SHOUT

PedroEdin84
18-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Exactly, just a lot of nonsense made up to try fit some space on the back page 2moro morning.

Come on Hibs, Convincing win 2moro!

zlatan
18-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Only surprise is that we are not playing the OF this weekend, nice they threw in a wee racist component a well.

Oh come on, take the green tinted blinkers off.

The Sun appear to have a decent mole for info at Easter Road just now, Stokes performance last Sunday, the lack of goals and now this is starting to make this look like a worrying gamble that may not be paying off. Some serious rockets up ***** are needed in that dressing room by Hughes if we are to become the force we should be.

And if what you are saying about the racist **** being a Hibby is true Mr Silverhibee then I'd want said player out the club asap, regardless as to who it is.

edit - after reading the article again it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure who you have heard it is, hope to god it's piffle.

The_Horde
18-09-2009, 11:53 PM
:greengrin

*Quotes Toaods*

silverhibee
18-09-2009, 11:55 PM
So this incident happened on Sunday night yet we have an article in the Scotsman from Tuesday which states that Miller and Stokes had both knocked on their manager's door this week (BEAR IN MIND THE ARTICLE IS TUESDAY SO I WOULD PRESUME THEY WENT TO SEE YOGI ON MONDAY) asking to get more game time under their belts in bounce matches and that was music to JH's ears.

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Stokes-and-Miller-set-the.5646829.jp

Something doesn't add up. If Stokes was so drunk on Sunday he must have sobered up quickly to go and see Yogi on Monday for more game time.

I am led to believe that the players were allowed to go out on Sunday night as long they looked after there selfs and not over indulge in to much drinking,obvouisly some players did not listen.

Toaods
18-09-2009, 11:58 PM
Heard about this on Monday night, and his pal they talk about is a Hibs player as well (alledgedley) and picked up an injury through the week.

So we are to believe:

it's a white guy

Hibby

ex-Arsenal link

injured

bit of a wideboy by the papers reckoning.

:hmmm: not the toughest task possibly

zlatan
19-09-2009, 12:01 AM
So we are to believe:

it's a white guy

Hibby

ex-Arsenal link

injured

bit of a wideboy by the papers reckoning.

:hmmm: not the toughest task possibly

The clues are certainly sta....emm piling up :dizzy:

Pete
19-09-2009, 12:01 AM
I am led to believe that the players were allowed to go out on Sunday night as long they looked after there selfs and not over indulge in to much drinking,obvouisly some players did not listen.

So what makes you believe that this isn't a pile of pish?

if there's elements of the story you believe to be true then speak up and stop talking in riddles.

EH6 Hibby
19-09-2009, 12:02 AM

Why would the paper not say who the friend was if it was a Hibs player? Surely that's a bigger story if a Hibs player is walking around George Street chucking racist comments about? :confused:

Big90inOz
19-09-2009, 12:03 AM
From the so called story in this rag it looks to me like Stoke's mate was acting like a dick head ( most of us have mates who have done this when on the juice). He has eventually said the wrong thing to the wrong person and recieved a slap for his troubles. Stokes has then 'waded in". The question is does that mean he joined in the fracas or waded in to seperate them ? Has Stokes been trying to control his mate before this kicked off ? They have then both been asked to leave, is this not normal when somone causes trouble that everyone assosiated is then thrown out ?

Also why hold the story back nearly a week ? I don't know why anyone outside of the old firm even buy this excuse for a newspaper unless of course they never get past page 3 :cool2:

Frogga
19-09-2009, 12:04 AM
I met him and Stack in WhyNot a few weeks ago. Stack seemed like a good guy and was willing to chat and have photos taken etc but Stokes wasn't so keen. Fair play it must be irritating having randomers pester you all night but thats just what comes with being a well-paid footballer eh.

EskbankHibby
19-09-2009, 12:06 AM

Couldn't begin to describe how much those 5 words get on my tits, no offence but if you know please say, we are all Hibby's and i think this story is total **** please confirm if this is not the case.

I'm thinking new player goes out for a bevvy and there is some bother at the end of the night, who would have thought, been out in Edinburgh since 1984?

Perspective
19-09-2009, 12:07 AM
The sooner Yogi rids our club of the drink culture the better.

Hibs are a laughing stock amongst some of the other senior clubs because of what's tolerated - from youth team players to first-team level amongst certain players. I'm sure Petrie and Lindsay must also be sick of signing their name to apologies on the official website.

If this is true about Stokes then it's particularly disappointing, if not surprising. Yogi and the club have invested a lot of faith and money in this guy, offering him a second chance. Perhaps all his talk of paying them back was just lip-service. I know if I was him and turning in performance like he has so far (sluggish, well off the pace) I'd be living like a monk until I was back on form.

EskbankHibby
19-09-2009, 12:13 AM

The Sun appear to have a decent mole for info at Easter Road just now, Stokes performance last Sunday, the lack of goals and now this is starting to make this look like a worrying gamble that may not be paying off. Some serious rockets up ***** are needed in that dressing room by Hughes if we are to become the force we should be.

And if what you are saying about the racist **** being a Hibby is true Mr Silverhibee then I'd want said player out the club asap, regardless as to who it is.

edit - after reading the article again it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure who you have heard it is, hope to god it's piffle.

Are you being serious?

iwasthere1972
19-09-2009, 12:15 AM

Surely the headline

"Stack involved in Racist Abuse Attack"

would be a bigger headline if I am reading your cryptic clues correctly.

Hope none of it is true although, as I said before, I suspect there is some truth in the story. Exactly what I am not sure.

Speedy
19-09-2009, 12:35 AM
I'm pretty sure he met a lot of Londerers throughout his time at Arsenal and as someone has pointed out a Hibs player dishing out racism would be a bigger story.

On the other hand maybe it was a team night out and he was winding up Maka. :greengrin:duck:

iwasthere1972
19-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Had a wee squint on Kickback and one poster had the cheek to say "Have Hibs not got control over any of their players"

:kettle:

Hi Tazio - I see you lurking. :agree:

CraigK
19-09-2009, 01:52 AM
So what's true?
"Stokes wasn't involved in this though."
Stokes's mate's a knobhead. Not Stokes. If he's stupid enough to hang around with racists then hopefully he'll come to his senses. If not, then we can judge him. Remember he's still young.
"Stokes then waded in before bouncers pulled them all apart."
Anthony Stokes tried to break up a fight.
And why is he being pilloried? Because a rag that most people on this site claim to hate but still read says so?

Steve-O
19-09-2009, 02:16 AM
FFS :rolleyes:

How many times? WHY must the players go out after EVERY game? Or certain players at least. With it being a Sunday, why not just go home afterwards?

I've been saying this for years now, this bevvying every single week has got to stop, particularly when it seems the players are completely unable to stay out of trouble whether they 'started it' or not.

Not sure why some on here are so quick to blame the friends of all the players but not the players themselves? Some of you sound like over-protective mothers who don't believe their little angels could possibly be capable of being an erse.

Alfred E Newman
19-09-2009, 05:42 AM

Why any of them would want to go out and show their face after Sundays disgraceful display is beyond me. I wouldn`t believe much that is written in the Sun but there is no smoke without fire and I have felt since day one that Stokes could well turn out to be a bigger turkey than AOB if that is possible.

Baldy Foghorn
19-09-2009, 05:49 AM

Are you saying Deek has not got an inflated ego??????

confused::confused::confused:

Baldy Foghorn
19-09-2009, 05:51 AM
It's somebodys word against someone elses that racial abuse even took place.

Who's to say the black guy isn't just making it up? he just might have wanted to smack somebody.

Total non-story.

Non story??? Hardly.... The Lulu spokesperson has said that Stokes was thrown out..... You don't get thrown out for doing nothing....

Baldy Foghorn
19-09-2009, 05:52 AM
It's becoming almost comic.

That is the worry for me, Hibs players are taking the lilian gish out of the Club and its supporters

tortolano
19-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Non story??? Hardly.... The Lulu spokesperson has said that Stokes was thrown out..... You don't get thrown out for doing nothing....

from a bingo hall...maybe not.... from a bar, and yer mates have been scrappin... its a fair bet.

YehButNoBut
19-09-2009, 07:14 AM

It does say that Stokes & his friend "were asked to leave" not the same as being thrown out.

Dibben
19-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Reading the story:

Stokes in club with pal (both had a few).
Pal 'allegedly' makes racist remarks to people.
Guy takes offence and punches him.
Stokes wades in to help his pal.
Both guys 'asked to leave'.

Now, not saying that Stokes is innocent, but if he's seen his pal being punched, he goes in to try to help - like alot of normal guys do! It does state that Stokes had no part in the alleged racial verbal abuse.

If his pal has being doing this, it's him who needs to grow up and perhaps be a pal and not get his 'famous' mate in bother!! That said, Stokes maybe needs to pick his drinking buddies better!

BH.

Onceinawhile
19-09-2009, 07:44 AM
Was anyone else thinking it was Patrick Cregg they were talking about rather than stack? Just the dots I connected.

Pretty fed up of these idiots dragging the club through the gutter, how come I can go out twice a week and not end up in scraps?:confused:

Hamish
19-09-2009, 07:48 AM
I was told the story during the week.

Getting pretty sick of these stories. I understand they have all been told that when they do go out they have to remember who they are and to be careful. Obviously some of them cant take the hint

Why cant they go out, have a couple and I mean a couple of bottles of beer and then go home?. They are supposed to be professional athletes. Perhaps I am just getting old but I can't understand them.
They have a short career. When they retire they can do what they want.

Jim44
19-09-2009, 07:49 AM
We knew that there were fairly strong rumours about Stokes 'problems' when he came to ER. Looks like they might be true. If so, combined with other unsavoury stories about Hibs players, it doesn't augur well for our prospects. I don't think for a second that these guys are going out on the town on the rare occasions after matches when their boss lets them. It's quite likely that they have lifestyles far from in keeping with what you would expect from a professional footballer. Hughes will have to get a grip with them. Didn't Strachan ban all his players from Glasgow night clubs.? ....................cue the protests from the liberals among us for being a wet blanket :blah::blah: :greengrin:soapbox:

sahib
19-09-2009, 07:49 AM
If it was Stack could the black guy be Makalamby, perhaps in some crude disguise?

James Connolly
19-09-2009, 07:56 AM
I'm sure Yogi will dish out the appropriate punishment; if he see's fit!:wink:

PaulSmith
19-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Magic, so within 4 weeks of being at the club he's went on a 4 day bender in Dublin and got himself into a pagger in Edinburgh night club.

oneone73
19-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Reading the story:

Stokes in club with pal (both had a few).
Pal 'allegedly' makes racist remarks to people.
Guy takes offence and punches him.
Stokes wades in to help his pal.
Both guys 'asked to leave'.

Now, not saying that Stokes is innocent, but if he's seen his pal being punched, he goes in to try to help - like alot of normal guys do! It does state that Stokes had no part in the alleged racial verbal abuse.

If his pal has being doing this, it's him who needs to grow up and perhaps be a pal and not get his 'famous' mate in bother!! That said, Stokes maybe needs to pick his drinking buddies better!

BH.

Reading the story, both were "very aggorant and swaggering about like they owned the place" - not something you and I do when we've "had a few". Certainly reads like the ego Yogi was on about. And how long does it take to suss out if your "pal" is a racist? Not long, I'll wager, especially given the nature of Stokes's workplace.
Good luck, Yogi. I for one will back you in whatever hard decisions you feel you have to make.

Pedantic_Hibee
19-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Bear in mind the journo in question is a Hearts fan and the only thing it says about Stokes is that he "waded in".

Complete non-event that has taken almost a week to publish which makes you question the journo's agenda and rams home his allegiances.

And there's Yogi saying in an interview that Stokes chapped on his door on the Monday after this alleged incident asking to play in the forthcoming bounce match.

Quite simply, a fat Jambo journalist with time on his hands trying to deflect the attention of his own, sorry sheeeite team.

And to whatever Jambo quoted above who said we couldn't control our players; I'll see your Anthony Stokes and raise you Larry Kingston, sunshine, a player with less commitment and a bigger salary. Beat that.

HFC 0-7
19-09-2009, 08:20 AM
this is just brilliant news! just what the club needs. what the f/ck do these guys think they are? and before anyone says not guilty till proven,it looks like it was not him that started it rather some torag that he's brought up from down south.still puts the club in a bad light.:fuming:

Blown out of proportion probably. The 'pal' got in a fight, I believe that. The paper is very careful and makes sure that it clears stokes of any racial involvement. Does it actually say that stokes was fighting? Or does it say that he waded in, perhaps to get his plum of a pal off of the other guy. So instead of this being a non story and writing stokes friend was in a fight and he moved in to break it up, they pad it up bringing up all of the old problems with every other hibs player and carefully word it so that you think that stokes waded in like rocky balboa on steroids!

Pedantic_Hibee
19-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Blown out of proportion probably. The 'pal' got in a fight, I believe that. The paper is very careful and makes sure that it clears stokes of any racial involvement. Does it actually say that stokes was fighting? Or does it say that he waded in, perhaps to get his plum of a pal off of the other guy. So instead of this being a non story and writing stokes friend was in a fight and he moved in to break it up, they pad it up bringing up all of the old problems with every other hibs player and carefully word it so that you think that stokes waded in like rocky balboa on steroids!

Exactly.

Isn't it ironic as well that there are Jambos over the road falling over themselves to pass comment on this yet when a negative story about them is published in the Sun they immediately rubbish it and plan failed boycotts of said paper?

Brainwashed by Vlad, every last one of them.

Antifa Hibs
19-09-2009, 08:27 AM
When the fk are players gonna realise that they can't be a professional football player and a lad at the same time. Its one or the other. If they want a pint, get themselves to Hilton or whatever, they can't waltz up and down George Street or Rose Street because as soon as someone knows they are a professional player, some dafty is gonna fancy a pop.

And Stokes should get his arse kicked just for going out even if it wasn't his fault, after that performance he should've went home and watched the Hamilton game back to back, show him what we had to put up with for an hour and a half getting destroyed form the worst team in the league!

matty_f
19-09-2009, 08:27 AM

I agree that we shouldn't all be jumping on the 'outraged from Leith' bandwagon based on the story.

Seems that the other guy has actually hit Stokes' friend first after an alleged racist comment.

I think the bit about them swaggering about like they owned the place is nonsense - that's someone who's jealous of their status having a cheap and easy pop at Stokes and nothing else, IMHO.

Hibs should just put a ban on drink during the season. Sure Redknapp did it at Spurs after the Ledley King incident earlier in the year. Why can't we do the same here?

matty_f
19-09-2009, 08:28 AM
When the fk are players gonna realise that they can't be a professional football player and a lad at the same time. Its one or the other. If they want a pint, get themselves to Hilton or whatever, they can't waltz up and down George Street or Rose Street because as soon as someone knows they are a professional player, some dafty is gonna fancy a pop.

And Stokes should get his arse kicked just for going out even if it wasn't his fault, after that performance he should've went home and watched the Hamilton game back to back, show him what we had to put up with for an hour and a half getting destroyed form the worst team in the league!

:agree:

Antifa Hibs
19-09-2009, 08:30 AM
I agree that we shouldn't all be jumping on the 'outraged from Leith' bandwagon based on the story.

Seems that the other guy has actually hit Stokes' friend first after an alleged racist comment.

I think the bit about them swaggering about like they owned the place is nonsense - that's someone who's jealous of their status having a cheap and easy pop at Stokes and nothing else, IMHO.

Hibs should just put a ban on drink during the season. Sure Redknapp did it at Spurs after the Ledley King incident earlier in the year. Why can't we do the same here?

As pro players and atheletes they shouldn't be bevvying anyway IMO.

I wonder if Messi hits the town after every game? No chance, which is why he's one of the best players to grace the earth.

Except from Groff, has aevery player thats been involved in incidents up town been British and Irish? Speakes volumes....

Barney McGrew
19-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Bear in mind the journo in question is a Hearts fan and the only thing it says about Stokes is that he "waded in".

Complete non-event that has taken almost a week to publish which makes you question the journo's agenda and rams home his allegiances

It's also astonishing that people are taking everything the Sun have printed about it as gospel.

The old 'a source said' line is just bollocks. It lets them print pretty much anything they like, as long as it's not slanderous.

There's obviously been some kind of incident, but you can bet it's been spun out as far as possible by the Sun to make it sensationalist.

HFC 0-7
19-09-2009, 08:40 AM

I think if they were to put a complete drinking ban in place it would need to be just before a transfer window. You have seen how the players react with things that they dont like (players revolt with JC). Unfortunately there are a few players that dont respect the clucb as much as they should. I cant imagine Stokes and riordin being too happy about drinking bans etc. We have seen how riordin reacts in the past to managers putting there foot down. Yogi is ina difficult position, if he introduces a drinking ban and players go in a strop yogi may have to empty them. If he sold riordin and stokes we may not see the money get re invested into the squad and would definately be hard to replace riordin and stokes.

I think there is a drink problem at hibs but it is no where near the problem the media is putting on it. I have heard of football clubs only letting their players go to certain nightclubs, and they then hire security to be in place at these nightclubs to make sure any nonsense is stopped, and make sure the players are not getting wrecked! I think this is the route to take, its a compromise, not a drinking ban, but they are baby sat!

Jim44
19-09-2009, 08:48 AM
I think if they were to put a complete drinking ban in place it would need to be just before a transfer window. You have seen how the players react with things that they dont like (players revolt with JC). Unfortunately there are a few players that dont respect the clucb as much as they should. I cant imagine Stokes and riordin being too happy about drinking bans etc. We have seen how riordin reacts in the past to managers putting there foot down. Yogi is ina difficult position, if he introduces a drinking ban and players go in a strop yogi may have to empty them. If he sold riordin and stokes we may not see the money get re invested into the squad and would definately be hard to replace riordin and stokes.

I think there is a drink problem at hibs but it is no where near the problem the media is putting on it. I have heard of football clubs only letting their players go to certain nightclubs, and they then hire security to be in place at these nightclubs to make sure any nonsense is stopped, and make sure the players are not getting wrecked! I think this is the route to take, its a compromise, not a drinking ban, but they are baby sat!

They'd have to cover every club in town to put the shackles on Riordan.:greengrin

macca70
19-09-2009, 08:50 AM
If it was Stack could the black guy be Makalamby, perhaps in some crude disguise?

Maybe it was Adebayor, stokes and stack didn't like the treatment he had dished out against there old team mates :)

Hamish
19-09-2009, 09:05 AM
It's also astonishing that people are taking everything the Sun have printed about it as gospel.

The old 'a source said' line is just bollocks. It lets them print pretty much anything they like, as long as it's not slanderous.

There's obviously been some kind of incident, but you can bet it's been spun out as far as possible by the Sun to make it sensationalist.

Agree 100 per cent about that newspaper BUT they shouldn't be letting themsleves get into ''situations'

number9dream
19-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Never mind Hughes raging, I've got a double on Boyd & Stokes to score today, so he'd better not be dropped...

As for the suggestions that Stack was the pal mentioned in the story, that is taking an almighty speculative leap.

Strachan banned all of his players from going out in Glasgow, maybe Yogi should think about doing the same.

Wembley67
19-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Well him & Yogi must have made up pretty quickly as he'll be playing today..

GloryGlory
19-09-2009, 09:36 AM
As pro players and atheletes they shouldn't be bevvying anyway IMO.

I wonder if Messi hits the town after every game? No chance, which is why he's one of the best players to grace the earth.

Except from Groff, has aevery player thats been involved in incidents up town been British and Irish? Speakes volumes....

Felipe Morais.

H18sry
19-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Felipe Morais.

Brought up in London with Portugeezers as parents :agree:

Toaods
19-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Felipe Morais.

that wasn't in a night club and he wasn't asked to leave...

....it was outside a casino and he never even got in...:faf:

Phil D. Rolls
19-09-2009, 10:20 AM
The double standards around here are sometimes staggering. There's enough detail in that story for News International to be taken to court for defamation - if they aren't true. In fact they could have gone into more detail if they had wanted by the looks of things.

Yet we still get people coming on spraffing utter nonsense trying to defend our man. It seems to me like he went out after the game, with a day off to look forward to, and spent his cash getting p*shed and acting like a knob in front of the sad wannabes who frequent Lulu.

But, because he is a Hibs player, it can't possibly have been him. The papers must be making it up. The doorman has to have been a Jambo. etc etc etc

It really puzzles me why the guy is being defended. Personally, apart from the racism, his biggest crime is being a knobend in a club which has a surplus of them already. His choice, I can't actually see how it affects his performance as a player.

But let's grow up and accept that this probably did happen. We just look silly trying to defend him.

Exactly.

Isn't it ironic as well that there are Jambos over the road falling over themselves to pass comment on this yet when a negative story about them is published in the Sun they immediately rubbish it and plan failed boycotts of said paper?

Brainwashed by Vlad, every last one of them.

Irony, how does that work again?

Hibs Spain
19-09-2009, 10:24 AM

Certainly not the most reliable of sources but still not good to read. The team selection will be interesting.Yogi should take him into a room,lock the door and give him the fright of his life.Then tell him it'll be twice as painful next time! Stokes might get the message ..:wink:

PiemanP
19-09-2009, 10:33 AM

The sun is there to sell papers, it will exagerate and blow things out of proportion to do this!

The 'sources' mentioned in the article could be joe the jambo who was on a night out and wants hibs to get the negative press.

dont believe everything you read in the papers...

(although i do agree that maybe stokes should be having a few nights in practising his shooting ability rather than on the lash up town)

hibiedude
19-09-2009, 10:41 AM
I wish these clowns would put as much energy into playing football as they seem to do getting into trouble, what has stokes done since joining us. ?

Beefster
19-09-2009, 10:52 AM
The double standards around here are sometimes staggering. There's enough detail in that story for News International to be taken to court for defamation - if they aren't true. In fact they could have gone into more detail if they had wanted by the looks of things.

Yet we still get people coming on spraffing utter nonsense trying to defend our man. It seems to me like he went out after the game, with a day off to look forward to, and spent his cash getting p*shed and acting like a knob in front of the sad wannabes who frequent Lulu.

But, because he is a Hibs player, it can't possibly have been him. The papers must be making it up. The doorman has to have been a Jambo. etc etc etc

It really puzzles me why the guy is being defended. Personally, apart from the racism, his biggest crime is being a knobend in a club which has a surplus of them already. His choice, I can't actually see how it affects his performance as a player.

But let's grow up and accept that this probably did happen. We just look silly trying to defend him.

Can't disagree with any of that. If this was a Hearts player, we'd be taking it all as fact and having a ball with it.

Toaods
19-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Yogi should take him into a room,lock the door and give him the fright of his life.Then tell him it'll be twice as painful next time! Stokes might get the message ..:wink:

Yogi would be better taking him into a room, locking the door and 'giving him the message' :jamboak: then tell him next time it will be twice as sore - bet that would keep him out of the nightclubs...:greengrin.

Hibs Spain
19-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Yogi would be better taking him into a room, locking the door and 'giving him the message' :jamboak: then tell him next time it will be twice as sore - bet that would keep him out of the nightclubs...:greengrin.That's what I was saying!! Iona today?

Hibs Spain
19-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Yogi would be better taking him into a room, locking the door and 'giving him the message' :jamboak: then tell him next time it will be twice as sore - bet that would keep him out of the nightclubs...:greengrin.That's what I was saying!! Iona today?

Toaods
19-09-2009, 11:43 AM
That's what I was saying!! Iona today?

You have a PM

TornadoHibby
19-09-2009, 11:49 AM

This just doesn't Stack up now does it!? :wink:

Pedantic_Hibee
19-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Irony, how does that work again?

It works in the sense that Hearts fans rubbish and denounce everything negative that the Sun prints about Hearts yet they're oh so quick to take a negative story on Hibs from the same publication and treat it as gospel.

That's what's ironic about it.

Hopefully this clarifies matters.

heretoday
19-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Don't care what they get up to off the pitch as long as they do the business on match day. Deeks does the business generally. It's time Stokes did something too.

Dashing Bob S
19-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Yes, it would be great world if every professional footballer was a dedicated athlete and a shining role model for the youth of today...and...yawn...snooze... eleven Gary Linekers or Bobby Charlton's...spare us all.

(Not suggesting that everybody who plays sport should be a drunken, brawling thug, just that it takes all sorts...)

YehButNoBut
19-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Don't really see this as a big issue, going back over the years the majority of footballers have liked a drink and as long as they are sensible with it i.e. lay off the stuff for 2 days before a game, then I don't see a problem.

As a few have said as long as he does the business on the park (and he still has to start doing this, today would be a good time to start) then I don't really care what he does of the park.

Hibs90
19-09-2009, 12:25 PM
You don't get thrown out for doing nothing....

I think you will find you do.

As for Stokes, total non story. Stokes hasn't done anything. Big deal.

BEEJ
19-09-2009, 12:59 PM

I'm getting heartily sick of the fact that my team seems to have more than its fair share of players that behave in this way.

CapitalHibs
19-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Willie Hamilton (allegedly) took on a regular skinfull. but AFAIK, was never involved in any "incidents"

YehButNoBut
19-09-2009, 03:32 PM
2 goals from Stokes so far today, keep up the nightclubbing Anthony. :wink:

lEXO
19-09-2009, 04:47 PM
From the sound of things it was his mate who was the main problem.Being asked to leave and being thrown out are totally different.The police were,nt involved so the incident could,nt have been as bad as the s*n makes out.You have to question their motives of waiting five days to run with the story.
Think some posters are getting a bit moralistic on this considering we dont know the whole story.I,m certainly not going to take the s*n,s word for any thing,and anyone who does should pick up their crayons and right a strong letter to the club. :wink:

hibsbollah
19-09-2009, 04:49 PM
We have the hardest drinking front pair in world football:flag:
Something to be proud of:thumbsup:

Phil D. Rolls
19-09-2009, 05:29 PM
It works in the sense that Hearts fans rubbish and denounce everything negative that the Sun prints about Hearts yet they're oh so quick to take a negative story on Hibs from the same publication and treat it as gospel.

That's what's ironic about it.

Hopefully this clarifies matters.

And we are rubbishing the Sun, because it has printed something about a Hibs player, yet we are prepared to accept their word as gospel when it is about Hearts.

Thanks for clearing that up.

From the sound of things it was his mate who was the main problem.Being asked to leave and being thrown out are totally different.The police were,nt involved so the incident could,nt have been as bad as the s*n makes out.You have to question their motives of waiting five days to run with the story.
Think some posters are getting a bit moralistic on this considering we dont know the whole story.I,m certainly not going to take the s*n,s word for any thing,and anyone who does should pick up thier crayons and right a strong letter to the club. :wink:

Paying speshul attention to how thae spell things.

Being asked to leave, and being thrown out are different in the way that a slap in the chops is different from a punch in the chops.

Dashing Bob S
19-09-2009, 05:31 PM
And we are rubbishing the Sun, because it has printed something about a Hibs player, yet we are prepared to accept their word as gospel when it is about Hearts.

Ehm...yes. It's called partisan loyalty.

lEXO
19-09-2009, 05:45 PM

Paying speshul attention to how thae spell things.

Being asked to leave, and being thrown out are different in the way that a slap in the chops is different from a punch in the chops.
Do we all accept what the s*n say about Hearts.I know i dont, cos i dont give a **** about them or the s*n.As for slap/punch chops part of your post, i,ll leave that to your superior knowledge as i dare say you will have more experience of that.

Davy Mac
19-09-2009, 05:53 PM

Aye, a nice wee 'double' too.........:greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
19-09-2009, 10:03 PM
I think you will find you do.

As for Stokes, total non story. Stokes hasn't done anything. Big deal.

You get thrown out of a club for doing nothing do you??? You must be pretty unlucky then......

Stokes got involved in a brawl in a nightclub.... If you think thats a non story then bully for you.........

lEXO
19-09-2009, 10:18 PM
You get thrown out of a club for doing nothing do you??? You must be pretty unlucky then......

Stokes got involved in a brawl in a nightclub.... If you think thats a non story then bully for you.........
According to the s*n, and we all know that if it,s in the s*n it must be true.If you believe everything you read in the s*n, the bully for you.:wink:

majorhibs
19-09-2009, 10:51 PM

Whats a story is how many people believe there is a story after a paper has printed something that they themselves wont even substanstiate, as for the drivel in your words above, no way should you be called booze anything, if you are like the characters I grew up with and still know now, you will have been around, you will know that getting put out of places can be pretty goddamn easy if you so much as pass the place where it kicks off, thats if your not unlucky enough to actually get dragged into whatever kicks off, suppose while you were delaboozing you were never in a different place, on your way to bar/toilets etc when some donuts kicked off with someone else. Happened to more than a few who dont run around pretending its a quiet wee peaceful word, when L & Bīs get involved a few times then theres a case but fer someone who has booze in your name you obviously dont do much up the town. Not condoning anybody or anyone here but have seen how the gutter press work close hand and perhaps the alleged "journalist" with what looks like an agenda should be watched, along with all his fellow "journalists", then we can mebbes compare records. To get back to the O.Point, it is totally easy to get put out of a nightclub without doing anything remotely wrong. But you need to have actually been around a bit, and not have one of these retired schoolmaster type memories, to realise that there is 2 sides to every story, youve probably been in similar situations in the past yourself, people lie, and the gutter press comes from and belongs in the gutter.

EskbankHibby
19-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Sounds like Stokes tried to help a pal out.

Yogi dropped and disciplined Riordan and overtly critisised Benji for taking liberties, do we actually think he would have played Stokes if he was in any way culpable?

panshibby
20-09-2009, 01:10 AM
the only thing i believe in The Sun is "george & Lynn" :tee hee:

lyonhibs
20-09-2009, 01:47 AM
Another bad day at the office for the Weegie Office of ridiculous over-exaggeration and colourful dramatisation.

Hibs 3 (Stokes, 2 Riordan, 1) St Johnstone 0 (**** all, nada)

If Yogi believed Stokes had been involved n the below story, I severly doubt he'd have even been on the pitch to score those 2 goals.

Still, as long as they have "a source" and papers to sell, we can expect this guff about any chosen non-OF team

Baldy Foghorn
20-09-2009, 06:12 AM
Whats a story is how many people believe there is a story after a paper has printed something that they themselves wont even substanstiate, as for the drivel in your words above, no way should you be called booze anything, if you are like the characters I grew up with and still know now, you will have been around, you will know that getting put out of places can be pretty goddamn easy if you so much as pass the place where it kicks off, thats if your not unlucky enough to actually get dragged into whatever kicks off, suppose while you were delaboozing you were never in a different place, on your way to bar/toilets etc when some donuts kicked off with someone else. Happened to more than a few who dont run around pretending its a quiet wee peaceful word, when L & Bīs get involved a few times then theres a case but fer someone who has booze in your name you obviously dont do much up the town. Not condoning anybody or anyone here but have seen how the gutter press work close hand and perhaps the alleged "journalist" with what looks like an agenda should be watched, along with all his fellow "journalists", then we can mebbes compare records. To get back to the O.Point, it is totally easy to get put out of a nightclub without doing anything remotely wrong. But you need to have actually been around a bit, and not have one of these retired schoolmaster type memories, to realise that there is 2 sides to every story, youve probably been in similar situations in the past yourself, people lie, and the gutter press comes from and belongs in the gutter.

I go up town most weekends Major, but i have grown up and learnt to behave myself. If I were a professional footballer, I certainly would not be lording it over the manor, like some Hibs players do....... After the inept and woeful display at Hamilton, no Hibs player should have been out clubbing, as they were putting themselves in the firing line of the wrath of potential drunken fans........

Baldy Foghorn
20-09-2009, 06:36 AM
According to the s*n, and we all know that if it,s in the s*n it must be true.If you believe everything you read in the s*n, the bully for you.:wink:

The Sun was not the only paper that covered the story.....:confused:

HFC 0-7
20-09-2009, 07:37 AM
I wish these clowns would put as much energy into playing football as they seem to do getting into trouble, what has stokes done since joining us. ?

think you got your answer yesterday! :thumbsup:

HFC 0-7
20-09-2009, 07:48 AM

You do get thrown out for doing nothing. I used to work on the doors in Edinburgh many moons ago, and you dont take any chances. Anyone involved, and by involved I mean are you friends with anyone involved, the bouncers tend to chuck you out or ask you to leave. There was a disturbance. It was a friend of a footballer, do you really think that even if stokes never lifted a hand any bouncer would just let the footballer stay in there? Dont think so. He would have been asked to leave, and probably would have done on his own accord even if he wasnt asked. Talking of unlucky, if you are in a nightclub and someone that you have never seen before comes up and smacks you clean in the face for no reason what so ever, you get thrown out as well. That is unlucky.

And to call it a brawl/ It sounds like one punch was thrown by the victim of the racist abuse and that is it. They seem to know that it was racial abuse, either by talking to who was involved, or because there was an eye witness. They also know that stokes hasnt said anything racist, but fail to say that stokes actually punched anyone. If stokes had actually punched someone, I am sure they would have said something like 'stokes launched a flurry of punches to one of the victims'

papers are very careful, they can imply lots and make you think things happened that didnt, this is because most people like to think the worst. If stokes was to complain about the article, the sun would simply say 'thats what we call a brawl, one punch'. They would then say 'you were involved, you were standing next to the guy when he started with the racial abuse, and you were standing next to him when he was punched'.

The real sticky point in the article is the racial abuse, and just to be extra careful, the paper clearly states, stokes had nothing to do with this.

Pedantic_Hibee
20-09-2009, 07:56 AM

Not quite sure if that's a generalisation of all or simply aimed at me. Either way, you're wrong.

I get my truths from the EEN :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
20-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Do we all accept what the s*n say about Hearts.I know i dont, cos i dont give a **** about them or the s*n.As for slap/punch chops part of your post, i,ll leave that to your superior knowledge as i dare say you will have more experience of that.

A lot of people do accept what the Sun say about Hearts, yes.

Perhaps you don't, but others do.

I can tell you don't care about the Sun at all.

No need to be sarky about superior knowledge. I responded to a point, and didn't resort to bad mouthing the poster.

hibiedude
20-09-2009, 02:52 PM
think you got your answer yesterday! :thumbsup:

Let's see what he's done end of the season before you give him legend status.:confused:

lEXO
20-09-2009, 03:42 PM
A lot of people do accept what the Sun say about Hearts, yes.

Perhaps you don't, but others do.

I can tell you don't care about the Sun at all.

No need to be sarky about superior knowledge. I responded to a point, and didn't resort to bad mouthing the poster.

Phil D. Rolls
20-09-2009, 03:59 PM

:thumbsup:

Toaods
20-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Yogi dropped and disciplined Riordan and overtly critisised Benji for taking liberties, do we actually think he would have played Stokes if he was in any way culpable?

I think he(Yogi) did and he(Stokes) probably was...the official website carries a post match interview with Yogi and states that he will be dealing internally with the matter. Unable to copy/paste the actual paragraph for some reason..anyone else unable to?

Arch Stanton
20-09-2009, 04:37 PM
papers are very careful, they can imply lots and make you think things happened that didnt, this is because most people like to think the worst. If stokes was to complain about the article, the sun would simply say 'thats what we call a brawl, one punch'. They would then say 'you were involved, you were standing next to the guy when he started with the racial abuse, and you were standing next to him when he was punched'.

The real sticky point in the article is the racial abuse, and just to be extra careful, the paper clearly states, stokes had nothing to do with this.

While I agree with you that they have probably covered their bases by using vague and ambiguous language I still think that this is malicious reporting by the Sun.

Their report tells of a brawl which involved verbal abuse and a physical assault and it also says that Stokes had waded into this brawl even though he clearly had no part in either the verbal abuse OR the physical attack.

Phil D. Rolls
20-09-2009, 05:46 PM
While I agree with you that they have probably covered their bases by using vague and ambiguous language I still think that this is malicious reporting by the Sun.

Their report tells of a brawl which involved verbal abuse and a physical assault and it also says that Stokes had waded into this brawl even though he clearly had no part in either the verbal abuse OR the physical attack.

If you have a racist friend
Now is the time now is the time
For your friendship to end

francobaresi
20-09-2009, 07:53 PM

here here:thumbsup:

Hibs07p
21-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Did Anthony Stokes deserve the newspaper coverage he got for an incident that involved his friend more than himself, and something that he wasn't charged with, in comparison to the last paragraph in this report,

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/2647301/Rugby-player-is-allegedly-knocked-out-by-Dundee-Utd-footballer.html

involving Celtic youngster Paul McGowan 21, who was arrested and charged with assault? The same journalist wrote both reports, so what is his agenda? The 3 incidents all involved football players, in the early hours of the morning after a game, 2 players have been charged, and no one regarding the Stokes incident has been charged with any offence, yet that is the one that gets the high profile treatment on the morning of a game.

douglaswalker@the-sun.co.uk you are a w@n*er

Peevemor
21-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Did Anthony Stokes deserve the newspaper coverage he got for an incident that involved his friend more than himself, and something that he wasn't charged with, in comparison to the last paragraph in this report,

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/2647301/Rugby-player-is-allegedly-knocked-out-by-Dundee-Utd-footballer.html

involving Celtic youngster Paul McGowan 21, who was arrested and charged with assault? The same journalist wrote both reports, so what is his agenda? The 3 incidents all involved football players, in the early hours of the morning after a game, 2 players have been charged, and no one regarding the Stokes incident has been charged with any offence, yet that is the one that gets the high profile treatment on the morning of a game.

To be fair, the difference is down to the slant the editorial team want to put on things.

scoopyboy
21-09-2009, 11:34 AM
I think Yogi's biggest gripe might be that he was out the night before training.

He is trying to install good habits and his big signing has let him down personally by this action.

Hibs were off yesterday and I would wager not many of them would be out on the town on Saturday night.

Green_one
21-09-2009, 11:46 AM

Its all about news worthyness. Stokes is a known name. He made the TV on Saturday afternoon when they discussed his goals. No-one has ever heard of Paul McGowan. Stokes also has 'history' in this area, much as Roirdan has and this again attracts a story line.

The facts are that he was drunk at 2.00 a.m. in a club and got involved in a fight. Whatever the reasons for reporting that are it cannot be claimed that those are good things for a footballer to be doing, especially one turning over a 'new leaf'. I do not see Darren Fletcher having a story written about him today. Maybe because he makes the most of his talents and is a pro. Unlike those how prefer to p*** their talent down the drain.

Phil D. Rolls
21-09-2009, 11:57 AM

I would honestly be surprised if there was an anti Hibs agenda in the papers. I can't see why they would bother to alienate a section of their readership.

Something else about this story though. Last week Yogi said he knows every doorman in town (or implied it), yet this weekend he says that the first he knew about Stokes was in Saturday's Sun. Maybe a bit too ready to give quotes, our manager?

hibsdaft
21-09-2009, 12:12 PM
ah but does every Edinburgh doorman know every Edinburgh footballer

:wink:

PaulSmith
21-09-2009, 05:02 PM
http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hughes-Stokes-has-let-me.5665942.jp

Sums it up, guilty as charged so it seems.

silverhibee
21-09-2009, 05:07 PM

Do you think Yogi will leave him out for game tomorrow night.?

CapitalHibs
21-09-2009, 05:14 PM

No, but I think Stokes owes Yogi an apology.

Jim44
21-09-2009, 05:15 PM

Who designs these cr@p websites? You can't read the report properly because of the superimposed advert which seems impossible to delete. :bitchy:

PaulSmith
21-09-2009, 05:16 PM

Double standards if not.

ancient hibee
21-09-2009, 05:18 PM
If Hughes is to retain respect he must leave him out just as Riordan was left out against Bolton otherwise the players will accuse him of having favourites.Stokes has got to realise that the club is bigger than him.

Jim44
21-09-2009, 05:32 PM
If Hughes is to retain respect he must leave him out just as Riordan was left out against Bolton otherwise the players will accuse him of having favourites.Stokes has got to realise that the club is bigger than him.

Fair enough if he leaves him out like Riordan. I suspect he won't, based on the fact that unlike Riordan who spent some time in the cells, Stokes appears to have been on the fringe of an incident. I'd be happy to see Benji and Byrne up front tomorrow in any case.

ancient hibee
21-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Fair enough if he leaves him out like Riordan. I suspect he won't, based on the fact that unlike Riordan who spent some time in the cells, Stokes appears to have been on the fringe of an incident. I'd be happy to see Benji and Byrne up front tomorrow in any case.
Yep I agree it wasn't such a serious incident but it's about perceptions isn't it.I think "you cross me and you're in trouble"should be his way of cracking down.Remember the story about Stein getting a tip off about Jinky in a pub-he arrived there and Jinky was so terrified he ended up trying to climb out the gents window.

Arch Stanton
21-09-2009, 05:48 PM
If you have a racist friend
Now is the time now is the time
For your friendship to end

Be it your best friend
Or any other
Is it your husband or your father or your mother?

CapitalHibs
21-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Who designs these cr@p websites? You can't read the report properly because of the superimposed advert which seems impossible to delete. :bitchy:

Just hit F5 a few times:wink:

Westie1875
21-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Double standards if not.

I am not sure about that, Riordan ended up in the cells and was left out of a friendly.

Yogi is not going to punish him in a way which may punish Hibs as well for something we dont know the truth on. Tomorrows game is a competitive one, and pretty much our only realistic chance of winning something this season, a fine will be it I think, with a severe warning.

hibs0666
21-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Stokes has let me down big style (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6843565.ece)

Jscully
21-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Everyones putting this on stokes and his mates who knows for all we know the black boy could have said something to them first???

Toaods
21-09-2009, 10:45 PM

I'd be surprised if he does as he states he wants him in the papers for scoring goals - he won't do that sitting in the stand.

He's slipped up for sure but it's early doors and with no police charges he's maybe got away with it before any serious damage was done.

That aside, anyone fancy taking on that big Polish bouncer at the Opal Lounge....:faf:

Hibercelona
21-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Everyones putting this on stokes and his mates who knows for all we know the black boy could have said something to them first???

Regardless of whether the other guy started it or not. Players should be professional enough to shrug these things off.

It would have been different if the guy lifted his hands to him and he fought back in defence.

hibbiedon
21-09-2009, 11:11 PM

Why worry about justice, if he plays for Hibs then he must be guilty I was always taught that there is three sides to every story, the accused side the defendants side and the truth

matty_f
21-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Stokes has let me down big style (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6843565.ece)

Notable that in both the Times and the Scotsman links that Hughes said that he felt Stokes may have been 'stitched up' whilst acknowledging that he shouldn't have been out in the first place to get into trouble.

FWIW, I'm glad that Hughes has said it's been dealt with internally and that he's drawn a line under it. IMHO, Stokes should be told to make it up to Yogi in the best way possible - by continuing to rattle in goals like he did on Saturday.

VegasHibby
22-09-2009, 02:41 AM
According to several reports this morning Yogi is very pissed off with Stokes.
The outcome of the saturday brawl invbestigation didn't go in Stokes favour.

Here's one of the internet reports

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/let-down-hughes-blasts-stokes-101499.html

Hibercelona
22-09-2009, 02:58 AM
Yogi is certainly not happy... and he's letting players know that he's not happy, which is good IMO.

I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to say he's on his last legs.

But Yogi says that the matter has been delt with internally, so lets hope thats the end of the matter and Stokes will be more careful about who he hangs about with in the future. :agree:

Hibs90
22-09-2009, 03:40 AM
Old news. The matter has been dealt with and I seriously doubt Stokes is on his 'last legs'.

Move along.

Prawn Sandwich
22-09-2009, 06:03 AM

Reported here......
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Hughes-39bitterly-disappointed39--with.5666577.jp

and here.......
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/hibernian/hughes-feels-let-down-by-stokes-incident-1.921372

flash
22-09-2009, 06:05 AM

He will get less respect from me if he drops him and we get knocked out of the only thing we ever win.

HFC 0-7
22-09-2009, 06:11 AM

Dont think that this is all that bad. If Yogi is just annoyed that he has gone out after the accies defeat then its not that bad. Yogi thinks he has been stitched up in terms of stokes involvement in the whole thing. I think a stiff talking to would have been enough. As people have said before leaving him out is a bit OTT as this was done in the past when riordin spent a night in the cells. In this incident I dont think the police were even involved.

HFC 0-7
22-09-2009, 06:21 AM

You should write for the Sun! 'On his last legs' A slight over reaction I would say. :blah:

heretoday
22-09-2009, 08:07 AM
I hope he's not on his last legs! His first goal on Saturday was a real striker's goal. You could imagine Baker or Reilly turning and shooting like that.

RIP
22-09-2009, 08:15 AM
As much as I'm frustrated at the lack of 'lessons learned' by the club over employee behaviour over the last ten years Yogi only has himself to blame.

The guy was already damaged goods. If he is carrying an addiction problem all the football coaching in the world won't cure him of problems wi the bevvy. Roy Keane couldn't cure Stokesy of his demons any more than Strachan could cure Deek.

Fined a months wages - a drop in the ocean to these guys!! Other measures will undoubtably be required - support from the club

We can maybe ask Dave's mate to keep a lookout for Anthony boarding a plane at Edinburgh Airport?

Danderhall Hibs
22-09-2009, 08:16 AM
As much as I'm frustrated at the lack of 'lessons learned' by the club over employee behaviour over the last ten years Yogi only has himself to blame.

The guy was already damaged goods. If he is carrying an addiction problem all the football coaching in the world won't cure him of problems wi the bevvy. Roy Keane couldn't cure Stokesy of his demons any more than Strachan could cure Deek.

Other measures will undoubtably be required

We can maybe ask Dave's mate to keep a lookout for Anthony boarding a plane at Edinburgh Airport?

Why are we assuming he's got addiction problems?! He's a relatively high-profile footballer that's been chucked out of a nightclub.

HFC 0-7
22-09-2009, 08:31 AM

Fined a months wages - a drop in the ocean to these guys!! Other measures will undoubtably be required - support from the club

You seem to be looking for the worst! Yogi thinks that it has been a stitch up in regards to what happened. Why think the worst all the time? Tarnished goods blah blah blah. The guy scores 2 goals in the game after the incident, I think he just re paid us. Players drinking has always been a problem in britain and its not going to go away. You can either work around it and slowly try and make a difference or throw the book at them which helps no one. George Best had a drinking problem, and got into far more bother than Stokes, but he still made in impact in world football. What would you rather have, a team of doo gooders that wont achoeve anything on the pitch, or have a few players in there that maybe have off field problems but can do something on the pitch. Yogi has done the right thing here, he has brought in playerd with ability and doing his best to keep them in line.

Personally I couldnt care if players got into a wee bit trouble as long as they still do what they are paid for, perform to the best of their abilities on the pitch. Only when players start playing badly because of off field activites then I care. As for the effect on other players, I would imagine it would be quite funny in the dressing room between other players. Its funny how in certain circumstances we find it funny of how players go out drinking trying not to get caught by managers etc. Did Jock stein not chase one of his players in a night club only for him to escape through the gents window?

People need to stop trying to find a negative things to say!

RIP
22-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Why are we assuming he's got addiction problems?! He's a relatively high-profile footballer that's been chucked out of a nightclub.

I'm not assuming he's got an addiction problem but he was already disciplined for similar behaviour at Sunderland.

We can all make mistakes but it's the 'repeat' nature of offences that point to addictive behaviour. As someone who has managed nightclubs, pubs and hotels I can say with sadness that repeat offenders usually have a deeper problem. Yogi will have similar instincts

You seem to be looking for the worst! The guy scores 2 goals in the game after the incident, I think he just re paid us.

Was he repaying us for this incident or for playing at Hamilton with a steamin heid after a 4-day bender in Dublin? Was he repaying Yogi for acting the big man on the team bus?

Players drinking has always been a problem in britain and its not going to go away. You can either work around it and slowly try and make a difference or throw the book at them which helps no one. George Best had a drinking problem, and got into far more bother than Stokes, but he still made in impact in world football.

I'm not an advocate of throwing the book - I'm an advocate of support from the club - as my post clearly stated

For the record George Best was finished at 27. Liam Miller is 28 and Deeks is 26 - hopefully two guys who can still achieve their potential!

What would you rather have, a team of doo gooders that wont acheive anything on the pitch, or have a few players in there that maybe have off field problems but can do something on the pitch.

:faf:Great choice. What about the majority of Hibs players who burst a gut for the team, are trying to match Yogi's vision and get Hibs the success we know the club deserves? I'm with Yogi on this one. Flair players who buckle down, train hard, play for each other and have a professional attitude. Do you think Yogi is being unreasonable in demanding this attitude on the wages we pay?

Personally I couldnt care if players got into a wee bit trouble as long as they still do what they are paid for, perform to the best of their abilities on the pitch. Only when players start playing badly because of off field activites then I care. As for the effect on other players, I would imagine it would be quite funny in the dressing room between other players.

That's just it though. Players with the wrong attitude perform only in flashes. A fully fit Stokes would be on fire every week not just one week in five.

Yogi's attitude is that the laddie isn't going to get fit playing with a hangover or out late when he's training the following day

I'm sorry mate but I'm with the gaffer on this one. Two goals or no - not good enuff!!

HFC 0-7
22-09-2009, 09:27 AM
I'm not assuming he's got an addiction problem but he was already disciplined for similar behaviour at Sunderland.

We can all make mistakes but it's the 'repeat' nature of offences that point to addictive behaviour. As someone who has managed nightclubs, pubs and hotels I can say with sadness that repeat offenders usually have a deeper problem. Yogi will have similar instincts

Was he repaying us for this incident or for playing at Hamilton with a steamin heid after a 4-day bender in Dublin? Was he repaying Yogi for acting the big man on the team bus?

I'm not an advocate of throwing the book - I'm an advocate of support from the club - as my post clearly stated

For the record George Best was finished at 27. Liam Miller is 28 and Deeks is 26 - hopefully two guys who can still achieve their potential!

:faf:Great choice. What about the majority of Hibs players who burst a gut for the team, are trying to match Yogi's vision and get Hibs the success we know the club deserves? I'm with Yogi on this one. Flair players who buckle down, train hard, play for each other and have a professional attitude. Do you think Yogi is being unreasonable in demanding this attitude on the wages we pay?

That's just it though. Players with the wrong attitude perform only in flashes. A fully fit Stokes would be on fire every week not just one week in five.

Yogi's attitude is that the laddie isn't going to get fit playing with a hangover or out late when he's training the following day

I'm sorry mate but I'm with the gaffer on this one. Two goals or no - not good enuff!!

Where are you getting all your facts from? Do you know for certain that all of these events happened? Was it stokes fault that he never scored against Hamilton or the rest of the team that never provided any service what so ever. Was it stokes fault that Nish was terrible that day as well.

I am not saying Yogi is unreasonable I think he is doing the right thing and has dealt with it internally. You seem to be blaming Yogi because he brought these players in. Would you rather we bought wittenveen instead of stokes. he doesnt seem to get into any trouble.

You seem to be very very negative, and look for the worst in the situation. Early into the season, results have been good apart from Hamilton, we are in third position and have showed that we can compete. Reading some threads and quotes on here it sounds like people cant have all positive threads so have to start all the negativity. You cant seem to put a positive spin on anything. We are in 3rd, we have brought in good players and there has been problems. Early days and if we can get the players to gel then we will be looking good. In response to you wanting good flair players that knuckle down. Yogi has said that stokes and riordin have knucled down. In the article, Yogi is only really annoyed at stokes for one thing, he went out after a poor performance, hardly a massive crime!

Moulin Yarns
22-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Can we now draw a line under the Stokes incident, and look at the bigger picture

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/dundee_utd/8268295.stm

Other clubs have the same problems of indicipline away from the club

mjhibby
22-09-2009, 10:21 AM
I really dont get this obsession with players having a bevvy.Now im sure stokesy can shed a few pounds but he is playing catch up having had just 180mins preseason football with sunderland and showed on saturday he is just as natural a finisher as deeks.I dont give two hoots about his nights out(and havent we all let offf steam now and then)but he has had a hard time of it and his goals on saturday hopefully see him relax and bang in the goals.
He does look like he has a bit of an ego but surely thats what you want in a striker.Just put the ball in the net stokesy and the papers can write what they like.Just remember yogi isnt someone i would get on the wrong side of if i were you.:greengrin

--------
22-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Where are you getting all your facts from? Do you know for certain that all of these events happened? Was it stokes fault that he never scored against Hamilton or the rest of the team that never provided any service what so ever. Was it stokes fault that Nish was terrible that day as well.

I am not saying Yogi is unreasonable I think he is doing the right thing and has dealt with it internally. You seem to be blaming Yogi because he brought these players in. Would you rather we bought wittenveen instead of stokes. he doesnt seem to get into any trouble.

You seem to be very very negative, and look for the worst in the situation. Early into the season, results have been good apart from Hamilton, we are in third position and have showed that we can compete. Reading some threads and quotes on here it sounds like people cant have all positive threads so have to start all the negativity. You cant seem to put a positive spin on anything. We are in 3rd, we have brought in good players and there has been problems. Early days and if we can get the players to gel then we will be looking good. In response to you wanting good flair players that knuckle down. Yogi has said that stokes and riordin have knucled down. In the article, Yogi is only really annoyed at stokes for one thing, he went out after a poor performance, hardly a massive crime!

The only way we can sign 'flair' players (how I hate that expression) is by bringing in players with question-marks against them. Like Stokes, Riordan, and Miller. Maybe Stack comes into that category, too. Stokes, Riordan and Miller are all highly-gifted footballers who appear to have had problems off-field in the past. If they play to their potential, we'll have three of the best players in the SPL in our team. If past problems take over, we'll have a nightmare.

More likely, however, is that we'll dodge along quite nicely, with an 'incident' story appearing every now and again.

All these reports appear to me to be reports of the same press-conference, with the same quotes from Hughes; unfortunately, the fact that so many papers have picked up the story makes it appear as if Yogi's going on and on and on about it - which I don't think he is.

He appears to be annoyed, as you say, that Stokes was out for a night out after the team had played really poorly at Hamilton. I haven't heard about a 4-day bender in Dublin; I did hear he was acting up on the team bus to Hamilton and that that affected the team's mindset and focus that afternoon.

I'm sure Yogi's more aware than any of us that this sort of thing will have to be sorted out very quickly - especially since another two of our more gifted players, Benji and Zouma, are Muslims and unlikely to be impressed by the idea of alcohol as a means to team-bonding. Time perhaps for some of the more senior players to stand up and be counted....

silverhibee
22-09-2009, 11:14 AM

Riordan, not riordin.:wink:

HFC 0-7
22-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Riordan, not riordin.:wink:

Was it you that corrected a spelling mistake the last time? I feel like I am back at school!:bitchy:

iwasthere1972
22-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Was it you that corrected a spelling mistake the last time? I feel like I am back at school!:bitchy:

Oh and Stokes has a capital "S". :duck:

HFC 0-7
22-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Oh and Stokes has a capital "S". :duck:

Very good!

Its no wonder that a Hibs team that won 3 - 0 still gets picked apart, with people with such a keen eye for detail! :boo hoo:

lapsedhibee
22-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Knuckled

iwasthere1972
22-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Knuckled

:top marks Good spot. Even I missed it although to be fair he got knuckle correct. What so ever I believe is just one word or hyphenated. :greengrin

:duck:

Phil D. Rolls
22-09-2009, 03:05 PM

I don't think that appears to be the case. I doubt if the "black boy" called them n*ggers though.

silverhibee
22-09-2009, 03:10 PM

Nope.:confused:

Jim44
22-09-2009, 03:39 PM
You seem to be looking for the worst! Yogi thinks that it has been a stitch up in regards to what happened. Why think the worst all the time? Tarnished goods blah blah blah. The guy scores 2 goals in the game after the incident, I think he just re paid us. Players drinking has always been a problem in britain and its not going to go away. You can either work around it and slowly try and make a difference or throw the book at them which helps no one. George Best had a drinking problem, and got into far more bother than Stokes, but he still made in impact in world football. What would you rather have, a team of doo gooders that wont achoeve anything on the pitch, or have a few players in there that maybe have off field problems but can do something on the pitch. Yogi has done the right thing here, he has brought in playerd with ability and doing his best to keep them in line.

Personally I couldnt care if players got into a wee bit trouble as long as they still do what they are paid for, perform to the best of their abilities on the pitch. Only when players start playing badly because of off field activites then I care. As for the effect on other players, I would imagine it would be quite funny in the dressing room between other players. Its funny how in certain circumstances we find it funny of how players go out drinking trying not to get caught by managers etc. Did Jock stein not chase one of his players in a night club only for him to escape through the gents window?

People need to stop trying to find a negative things to say!

'Do-gooders'.???? Is a player who is professional in his approach on and off the field a 'do-gooder'? I would say that such a player is 'normal' and the type of player a manager would want and could rely on at all times.

Phil D. Rolls
22-09-2009, 03:42 PM
'Do-gooders'.???? Is a player who is professional in his approach on and off the field a 'do-gooder'? I would say that such a player is 'normal' and the type of player a manager would want and could rely on at all times.

Sometimes though, it is the player who walks a different road that you need. Someone who is a flawed genius, I think the best teams have all had their mavericks, like Cantona, Jimmy Johnstone and Jim Baxter.

Life would be really boring if everyone behaved the same.

HFC 0-7
22-09-2009, 03:51 PM

I used the term doo gooder to emphasise the extremes. Stokes is being picked on big time. Stokes made a mistake in being out after the hamilton game, that is it according to Yogi, but some hibs fans are tearing into him accusing him of things that no one can prove. The dublin thing has turned into a 4 night session. I think people like yourself are expecting too much from the players and the club.

You want Hibs to buy good players with the money available. They way we have been able to do this is take players that have had something go wrong in their careers off field or be branded Ego players. This is not the first time, can you remember Russell Latapay, he used to go and get wrecked a lot the night before a game but the papers didnt jump on it back then. You need to take a look at hibs and see what they can do with the money available, if this means taking good players that can have an off game because of off field activites then its ok by me, as long as it isnt a regular occurance.

There were many people on here ripping the jambos on kickback because they were posting, after we signed miller and stokes, that we have signed a couple of wasters that think they are super stars, now hibs fans are going down the same line.

People need to stop taking everythingt the papers say as gospel and then adding on their own little stories to make it worse.

Golden Bear
22-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Never mind the doogooders, here's a story about a "Goodwillie". Looks like we're not the only club with behaviour problems!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/dundee_utd/8268295.stm