PDA

View Full Version : This Season.......

SouthMoroccoStu
12-09-2009, 06:45 AM
What can we realistically expect?

A good influx of new players (Stokes, Cregg, McBride, Miller and all the youth boys), a positive management team that will get the players fighting for their place in the team and the promise of a new stand.

All is looking bright!

But what can we achieve?

Sadly people on this site are getting carried away again - what we hibees do best.

I'll say 3rd-4th in the league and a cup final appearence.

Glory glory

Dibben
12-09-2009, 06:52 AM

Glory glory

I think realistically, this is what we can achieve. We still need to strengthen our defence, otherwise it's that, that may hold us back. If we can get another defender in who is out of contract, great. Barr in January would be great as well - right in time for the run in and SC games.

Talk of the title is 'pie in the sky' - but but 3rd is achievable.

BH.

brydekirk
12-09-2009, 06:52 AM
has to be third :agree:. dont think yogi is finnish yet :thumbsup:

Pedantic_Hibee
12-09-2009, 06:53 AM
Unlike our deluded friends from over the road, I'm not getting carried away at all.

I have no set target for what we should achieve this season, in cliched terms, take each game as it comes.

What I will say though is that Yogi has done more for this club in three months than the previous incumbents have done in the past three years in terms of trimming the squad and adding quality to it.

So in that sense, the only way is up. How far that takes us, who knows. But right now, I am one very, very, very happy Hibs fan.

matty_f
12-09-2009, 07:00 AM
Not a prediction, but I reckon we should be seeing anything less than third as a disappointment.

If we are lucky with injuries, we should be able to field a stronger team than most other SPL sides every week now.

As for the cups - it'd be great to win one but you can never tell what will happen with them. With a kind draw, there's no reason why we can't have a couple of really good cup runs.

Hopefully Yogi gets the team to gel quickly. Riordan and Stokes already look like they're forming a good partnership.

Cregg and McBride have looked good together, and to now have the option to pick from Miller, Zemmama, Wotherspoon, Rankin, Murray, and Stevenson (not to mention Currie and Welsh that came up from the 19s) is a great position to be in.

Up front, our options are terrific too. Stokes and Riordan, Nish can come in, Benji and Byrne are both quality...

For the first time since the Mowbray years, I can genuinely say that there's not a team in the SPL that I don't think we have a chance against.

Dibben
12-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Not a prediction, but I reckon we should be seeing anything less than third as a disappointment.

If we are lucky with injuries, we should be able to field a stronger team than most other SPL sides every week now.

As for the cups - it'd be great to win one but you can never tell what will happen with them. With a kind draw, there's no reason why we can't have a couple of really good cup runs.

Hopefully Yogi gets the team to gel quickly. Riordan and Stokes already look like they're forming a good partnership.

Cregg and McBride have looked good together, and to now have the option to pick from Miller, Zemmama, Wotherspoon, Rankin, Murray, and Stevenson (not to mention Currie and Welsh that came up from the 19s) is a great position to be in.

Up front, our options are terrific too. Stokes and Riordan, Nish can come in, Benji and Byrne are both quality...

For the first time since the Mowbray years, I can genuinely say that there's not a team in the SPL that I don't think we have a chance against.

:agree:

Noticed you didn't comment on how good our defence looks... :greengrin

If we can strengthen there, then I'd be really happy/confident. (Still think we can score more than we lose...).

BH.

matty_f
12-09-2009, 07:34 AM

If we can strengthen there, then I'd be really happy/confident. (Still think we can score more than we lose...).

BH.

:greengrin I'm not convinced about our defence yet. I think Hogg and Bamba still have to gel as a pairing. I like Hogg as a player, but I don't think he's played at the top of his game so far. Once he's tuned in with Bamba we'll look better.

I've actually been happy enough with the full backs so far, in that I'm confident they won't let us down. Not sure whether that's enough though, for a team that's pushing on for third place (or, dare I say it, better :greengrin).

If I was the manager and I had scope to bring in a new player, then that's the area I would be prioritising now. I don't think we're anywhere near as bad as some people think we are defensively though. Not by a distance.

mayo hibee
12-09-2009, 08:06 AM

BH.

Not convinced yet by our defence but I think we might have signed a keeper who's worth 10 or 12 points a season compared to anything we've had in recent years.

Player for player we have easily the 3rd best squad in the league now and there's nothing arrogant or tempting fate about it. Dundee Utds is probably more settled and it'll take a while for our team to gel, but 3rd has got to be the target. Anywhere lower than 4th should be a disappointment given the quality of this squad.

Spike Mandela
12-09-2009, 08:10 AM
For me all you can realistically predict is a top six place. Could be any position 3-6 depending on loads of factors.

OF are miles out of sight. Then to say we 'should' easily finish third is ridiculous. Competition will be tough.

Dundee Utd look a formidable team this year. Aberdeen will surely strengthen at least in Jan and for me Motherwell are the team most likely to dislodge someone from the top six.

As for Hearts the Csaba/Vlad friction and lacking a striker suggests they won't acheive last years third place but sometimes a team is bonded together in adversity and punches above their weight.

We will need luck, resiliance and the small squad to avoid injury however one thing we can safely predict is that this season will definitely be entertaining. Something I wouldn't have thought possible in May:cool2:

jiggerman
12-09-2009, 08:47 AM
I think 3rd is achievable. Utd are the other team with alot of quality players but we all know that doesnt make a good TEAM.

Yogi has alot of players with big reputations (by SPL standards) so will have a job managing them - Stokes, Miller, Riordan, Zouma......

Incidentally that would be my front four of or best 11 :thumbsup: As follows:

Riordan-----------------Stokes

Zemmama-------------(constantly switching)--------------------Miller

Cregg---(both primarily sitting)---McBride

Murray-----------------Bamba--------Hogg-------------McCormack/
Wotherspoon
Stack

Bench: Maka, McCann, Stevenson, Hanlon, Thicot, Rankin, Galbraith, Benjelloun, Byrne, Nish.

That team looks immense!

Seriously, a note of caution - lets support the team and build what we have here now - think about it - ay we finish 3rd/4th/5th and go into next preseason with this squad, with a couple of quality additions (as that is all we would need) then with better knowledge of each other we really could see something special.

J

Dashing Bob S
12-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Unlike our deluded friends from over the road, I'm not getting carried away at all.

I have no set target for what we should achieve this season, in cliched terms, take each game as it comes.

What I will say though is that Yogi has done more for this club in three months than the previous incumbents have done in the past three years in terms of trimming the squad and adding quality to it.

So in that sense, the only way is up. How far that takes us, who knows. But right now, I am one very, very, very happy Hibs fan.

Another excellent post, PH, summing up my feelings. Let's enjoy the ride but leave the vainglorious ranting to the deluded clowns on the other side of Princess Street.

blackpoolhibs
12-09-2009, 09:10 AM
4th minimum, and with decent draws 2 cup runs. Bonuses will be some good football, and hopefully some wins against them.:pray:

bobbyhibs1983
12-09-2009, 10:12 AM

BH.

I agree i think jones for all his faults is a huge loss and i dont think we have replaced him really, i know we have a few option for centre of defence but i think players like mcCommack(sp) needs time/experince,. he is still young and will make mistakes and if he did get a start and made a mistake will it effect him badly?

Tiscot(sp. ye i know i cant spell) i think he has done ok but i dont think he is ready.

Hogg, i do like him but lacks height.

Bamba, i love this guy but i dont think his best postion is a
centre back

Murray, again a good player who i like, but again dont think his favoured/best postion is a cb

So the long and short of it if we were to sign a tall good in the air,good tackler who can pass well type player then i think we will do better than last season witch i hope we do every season you know. so more wins than last season and more draws rather than games lost for me.

blackpoolhibs
12-09-2009, 10:25 AM
I agree i think jones for all his faults is a huge loss and i dont think we have replaced him really, i know we have a few option for centre of defence but i think players like mcCommack(sp) needs time/experince,. he is still young and will make mistakes and if he did get a start and made a mistake will it effect him badly?

Tiscot(sp. ye i know i cant spell) i think he has done ok but i dont think he is ready.

Hogg, i do like him but lacks height.

Bamba, i love this guy but i dont think his best postion is a
centre back

Murray, again a good player who i like, but again dont think his favoured/best postion is a cb

So the long and short of it if we were to sign a tall good in the air,good tackler who can pass well type player then i think we will do better than last season witch i hope we do every season you know. so more wins than last season and more draws rather than games lost for me.

I don't agree with that one bit. I think Bamba has slipped into HIS favorite position very well, that well we don't miss Jones one bit. And again imho Murray would be his ideal partner in the centre of defense. A back 4 with these 2 in the middle would be a very decent back 4. Hanlon is getting better, and has taken up the challenge at left back, and is playing very well. If we could get a right back in, we really would be strong at the back, in midfield and up front. And its a long time since we have said that.

GreenOnions
12-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Agree with much of the above.

As far as the squad goes the most glaring thing that I notice is that we actually only have one genuine full-back in McCann.

There will always be a debate about Murray. Personally I would love to see him get an extended run at left centre back but you could classify him as a full-back but even so that still only leaves us with two in the squad.

McCormack and, in particular, Hanlon have done well but they are centre backs.

I think Yogi thinks of Darren Barr as a full back and maybe wants to get by with what he's got until Barr is available.

Gatecrasher
12-09-2009, 11:14 AM
My expectations haven't changed since the signing of stokes and miller, I think 4th and a trip to hampden will do for me. Anything more would be great though.

Perspective
12-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Pre-season I'd have taken 5th. I just wanted Yogi to stabalise things a wee bit, start to implement his own philosophy, blood some of the younger players and get us passing the ball again.

I still wouldn't get too carried away. Given the start we've had and looking at the opposition I'd like us challenging for fourth. Still think Dundee Utd may just be a bit in front of us for third as they have a good, settled, well-rounded squad.

Besides, Stokes and Miller are only (as yet) good signings on paper. Miller will take time to get up to speed and is still living off a few good games at Celtic while Stokes looked very rusty against Brechin and Celtic. I'd also be happier with two new full-backs (if Booth isn't to be blooded soon).

I'm sure both will come good, but let's not go down the Hearts road of believing in our own hype. It's an old football cliche but I'm just enjoying it one game at a time just now. It's just great to have that feel-good factor back.

monktonharp
12-09-2009, 05:10 PM
What can we realistically expect?

A good influx of new players (Stokes, Cregg, McBride, Miller and all the youth boys), a positive management team that will get the players fighting for their place in the team and the promise of a new stand.

All is looking bright!

But what can we achieve?

Sadly people on this site are getting carried away again - what we hibees do best.

Glory glory:agree:we do tend to get over-exited,but we look to have the makings of a really good side. hope the fans tommorow give them maximum backing,as Hamilton will fight. I think we are far too good for their devestated side and a win,coupled to todays results puts us in clear 3rd,and in the driving seat with some winnable games coming up.

Sylar
12-09-2009, 05:21 PM
I'd be satisfied with a Europa Cup place and perhaps a cup success (no reason we can't get to a final AND win!).

If every player clicks, and the OF continue their lacklusture performances, then at the absolute best prediction (It should be noted that I'm not stating I expect this) would be to split the OF, but talk of winning the title is rediculous IMO.

Flynn
12-09-2009, 05:34 PM
If splitting the old firm isn't ridiculous, then surely winning the league cant be that ridiculous either. There's not too many points separating the gruesome twosome at the end of the most seasons. That said, 3rd (and hearts getting relegated :greengrin) is probably the best we can hope for. I hope we give the ugly sisters a real good run for their money though.

Sir David Gray
12-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Our target, at the beginning of every single season, should be to finish 3rd.

I would be a bit disappointed with anything else, particularly now that we have started to play proper football and are spending relatively large amounts of money on new players.

--------
12-09-2009, 05:46 PM

Very much my thoughts, PH.

I'm happy that the atmosphere around the team has improved so dramatically. I'm impressed with the changes I see John Hughes and the coaches introducing. The squad has a 'planned' look about it now that it never had under Collins or Paatelainen. And we're playing football again, not hoofball.

If this is no more than a season of foundation laying and consolidation, I'll be happy.

But realistically, this time next year I could just see us having a stronger pool of players, more youngsters coming through from the Academy, and a settled team training at one of the best facilities in British football and playing in a completed, modern 21,000 capacity stadium - on a Thursday evening in a Europa League match.

Somewhere between the two'll suit me fine. :thumbsup:

Rasta_Hibs
12-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Very much my thoughts, PH.

I'm happy that the atmosphere around the team has improved so dramatically. I'm impressed with the changes I see John Hughes and the coaches introducing. The squad has a 'planned' look about it now that it never had under Collins or Paatelainen. And we're playing football again, not hoofball.

If this is no more than a season of foundation laying and consolidation, I'll be happy.

But realistically, this time next year I could just see us having a stronger pool of players, more youngsters coming through from the Academy, and a settled team training at one of the best facilities in British football and playing in a completed, modern 21,000 capacity stadium - on a Thursday evening in a Europa League match.

Somewhere between the two'll suit me fine. :thumbsup:

Aye man thats what im thinking and hoping off! That would be tremendous progress! If we could qaulify for Europe this season then it would give us such a great platform to grow the club by a fair margin.

The_Todd
12-09-2009, 06:26 PM
We've already improved on the last two seasons in that we haven't exited the League cup at the first hurdle.

Anything that shows improvement will be welcomed by me. 5th, 4th, 3rd, a quarter final, semi final... final. Anything.

And it would be a bonus to qualify for Europe one way or another too.

--------
12-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Aye man thats what im thinking and hoping off! That would be tremendous progress! If we could qaulify for Europe this season then it would give us such a great platform to grow the club by a fair margin.

:agree: And I think if we WERE to get into the Europa, the squad we have (with one or two additions) might just be good enough to get us into the section matches.

I know I shouldn't (this is Hibs, after all) but I do feel a wee stirring of genuine hope right now.

Dashing Bob S
13-09-2009, 12:15 AM
I'm keeping my feet on the ground.

World domination for us and the Jambo's in humiliating serfdom this season, but let's really go for it next term.