PDA

View Full Version : walter back to scotland(nhc)

andyhibs
11-09-2009, 04:21 PM
i am hearing that judas smith might be considering a return to the scotland managers job if it becomes available. wtf , :grr::fuming::wtf:

PISTOL1875
11-09-2009, 04:24 PM
He's better than Burley that's for sure..........

johnrebus
11-09-2009, 04:28 PM
He may be better than Burley, but he should not get a second chance after ****ting over everyone last time.

Besides, what chance that Ferguson, McGregor, Boyd and McCulloch would be back in the dark blue ? And probably David Wier too ..............,

Fair gie's me the dry boak....,

:grr:

The_Todd
11-09-2009, 04:32 PM
And the moment the opportunity to get back in the Castle Greyskull hotseat came back up he'd be clearing his desk and putting his sash back on again double-quick.

No thanks.

The changes need to start at the top and at the bottom - from the SFA/SPL/SFL all the way down to the youth programmes. Chopping and changing the manager every 2 years won't achieve anything.

bighairyfaeleith
11-09-2009, 04:33 PM
the miserable bigoted **** should never get the scotland job again. Rather see stevie fail get the job than him!!

andyhibs
11-09-2009, 04:35 PM
He's better than Burley that's for sure.......... not really what i am meaning, should he get another chance after jumping ship , to look at it another way i suppose we gave deeks another chance

PaulSmith
11-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Definitely would take him back in a second. Regardless of him taking the Rangers job he was the best Scotland manager that we had for years and had everybody up for it and played to our strengths.

If it means that McGregor, Ferguson and Boyd are encouraged to come back into the squad than even better as the squad is weaker without them. I couldn't give a flying one what club team they play for when they play for the Scotland and if you do then it says more about your prejudices than anything else.

Either him, Strachan, Souness or Levein.

Alicky Ranks
11-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Smith would be a good choice as he's almost certainly retiring as Rangers boss at the end of the season. I don't go along with the judas stuff about Smith and McLeish. They were offered better jobs than the Scotland one and McLeish in particular as a young manager was always going to get bored with the long months of doing nothing which the Scotland job involves. Both of them, in their short spells in charge of the national side, put out better sides than Scotland had seen since the early 80s.

Part/Time Supporter
11-09-2009, 04:44 PM
The only problem with Smith taking the Scotland job is the potential for McCoist to make a complete Le Guen-style pig's ear of the Hun job. It would then be pretty obvious who the Hun would want to rope in to pull them out of that predicament.

Storar
11-09-2009, 04:53 PM
If there's anything I've learned in my short life so far, it's that it doesn't matter if a player or manager turns their back on a team.
It never has done and it never will. Like Murray, Riordan and McGinlay, if Smith returns to Scotland along with Boyd, McCulloch and Ferguson and does the business that he did last time round then I for one will be more than happy.

As far as football is concerned the word 'Judas' means nothing to me anymore:rolleyes:

ScottB
11-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Definitely would take him back in a second. Regardless of him taking the Rangers job he was the best Scotland manager that we had for years and had everybody up for it and played to our strengths.

If it means that McGregor, Ferguson and Boyd are encouraged to come back into the squad than even better as the squad is weaker without them. I couldn't give a flying one what club team they play for when they play for the Scotland and if you do then it says more about your prejudices than anything else.

Either him, Strachan, Souness or Levein.

I couldn't give a toss who they play for, their lack of respect, attitudes, petulant behaviour and clear lack of interest in the honour that should be playing for your country is why I don't want them anywhere near our national team.

As for Souness, we'd do better with a crack team composed of Stevie Frail, Mixu and Bertie Vogts than that muppet.

hibsdaft
11-09-2009, 05:01 PM
if he's even being contemplated for the job it'll be disgusting.

this isn't club football where there's room for pragmatism.

the guy walked out on his country ffs how anyone can even consider him is beyond me.

do we not have any pride at all?

soupy
11-09-2009, 05:16 PM
According to real Radio, burley will be staying!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grr:

Hibercelona
11-09-2009, 05:24 PM

Burley staying/Walter coming back...

It didnt matter.... it was a lose/lose situation anyway! :grr: :boo hoo:

The_Todd
11-09-2009, 05:25 PM

I have no problem with this. The problems are widespread and my no means confined to the manager.

Without a major overhaul in the way football is governed and setup in this country, changing the manager is simply fiddling while Rome burns.

Part/Time Supporter
11-09-2009, 07:23 PM
I have no problem with this. The problems are widespread and my no means confined to the manager.

Without a major overhaul in the way football is governed and setup in this country, changing the manager is simply fiddling while Rome burns.

By that logic Hibs should have left Mixu in charge

:wink:

The_Todd
11-09-2009, 07:30 PM
By that logic Hibs should have left Mixu in charge

:wink:

Not quite, Hibs problems during Mixu's reign truly did lie with the manager, the tactics, the (non) use of subs.

Scotlands problems lie very much with the governance of the game in this country. Also, if more clubs spent less on third rate foreign players and cardboard boxes (like a team whose name starts with H and ends in ertz)and more on facilities and development (like a certain team beginning with H and ending in ibernian) maybe we wouldn't be in such a mess.

And, incidentally, Mixu walked he wasn't sacked :wink:

blueisthecolour
11-09-2009, 08:34 PM
i am hearing that judas smith might be considering a return to the scotland managers job if it becomes available. wtf , :grr::fuming::wtf:
Where are you hearing this from? is it from the radio and papers saying he is in a shortlist of 3?

New Corrie
11-09-2009, 10:08 PM
if he's even being contemplated for the job it'll be disgusting.

this isn't club football where there's room for pragmatism.

the guy walked out on his country ffs how anyone can even consider him is beyond me.

do we not have any pride at all?

Would you walk out on your country for the Hibs job? I know that I would.

ScottB
11-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Where are you hearing this from? is it from the radio and papers saying he is in a shortlist of 3?

Ah yes, the Daily Ranger wet dream list then?

I'd be amazed if there was any such thing as a 'shortlist' right now, coupled with last time, didnt they wait for folk to apply or something lazy like that...

hibsdaft
11-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Would you walk out on your country for the Hibs job? I know that I would.

aye and if you did do you think you'd ever be considered for the job again? i don't think so!

bighairyfaeleith
12-09-2009, 06:12 AM
I'd walk out on scotland for the hibs job sure, but I wouldn't expect to ever get my old job back again!!!

Steve-O
12-09-2009, 06:23 AM
The only problem with Smith taking the Scotland job is the potential for McCoist to make a complete Le Guen-style pig's ear of the Hun job. It would then be pretty obvious who the Hun would want to rope in to pull them out of that predicament.

I doubt he'd go back a 3rd time, especially if he's prepared to leave Rangers now.

Where is this story coming from anyway?

BSEJVT
12-09-2009, 07:02 AM
Whilst its clear that Scottish Football is rotten to the core from top to bottom, how anyone can consider having Burley in charge for another campaign beggars belief.

Some of our performances and tactics / substitutions were an absolute disgrace.

Because he got lucky by plucking rabbits out of a hat with a decent second half performance against Macedonia and a decent hour against Holland, all past errors are forgotten. I dont think so.

Lets not kid ourselves either that both these countries could easily have scored 4 or 5.

IMO its never a good sign, and Mixu was guilty of this as well, of pulling guys into the team from outside the pool / fringes of the squad in such numbers.

It shows me that you havent a clue what you are doing and are just rolling the dice and getting lucky now and then.

If these guys were that good they would have /should have been involved ages before.

His subs against Holland were disgraceful IMO.

He had a system that was working okay and then changed it out of all recognition. It seemed to me that the players totally lost shape thereafter.

I know he needed to chase a goal but Miller was blowing out his arse by then and the first change should have been to replace him.

Commons contributed the square root of nothing and is is no way international class.

Burley must go!

bighairyfaeleith
12-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Whilst its clear that Scottish Football is rotten to the core from top to bottom, how anyone can consider having Burley in charge for another campaign beggars belief.

Some of our performances and tactics / substitutions were an absolute disgrace.

Because he got lucky by plucking rabbits out of a hat with a decent second half performance against Macedonia and a decent hour against Holland, all past errors are forgotten. I dont think so.

Lets not kid ourselves either that both these countries could easily have scored 4 or 5.

IMO its never a good sign, and Mixu was guilty of this as well, of pulling guys into the team from outside the pool / fringes of the squad in such numbers.

It shows me that you havent a clue what you are doing and are just rolling the dice and getting lucky now and then.

If these guys were that good they would have /should have been involved ages before.

His subs against Holland were disgraceful IMO.

He had a system that was working okay and then changed it out of all recognition. It seemed to me that the players totally lost shape thereafter.

I know he needed to chase a goal but Miller was blowing out his arse by then and the first change should have been to replace him.

Commons contributed the square root of nothing and is is no way international class.

Burley must go!

cannae really disagree, however smith isnae the answer.

soupy
12-09-2009, 08:07 AM
id take Souness, hell no take no s***e fi any of them and the players would know that....imo....

Woody1985
12-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Smith GTF! That **** CANNOT manage the team again. We would have qualified had he stayed that campaign IMO.

He ****ed off to them and can't expect to come back.

Part/Time Supporter
12-09-2009, 08:16 AM
I doubt he'd go back a 3rd time, especially if he's prepared to leave Rangers now.

Where is this story coming from anyway?

"Nods and winks" from Jim Traynor on his various radio appearances. He wouldn't be doing that unless Smith had told him that he would be interested in doing the Scotland job again. Smith is out of contract in January, the Huns are utterly skint and Murray is trying to bugger off. He also refused to comment (ie he didn't deny it outright) when he was publicly questioned about the Scotland job yesterday.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1392845?UserKey=

I think though there is a possibility that the SFA will **** themselves and give Burley another chance. That would be utter folly because he would come under intense pressure if Scotland didn't get off to a fast start to the Euro 2012 qualifiers (same scenario as Berti a few years ago).

HibbyAndy
12-09-2009, 08:19 AM
I'd like to see Burley given another campaign.

Big Frank
12-09-2009, 08:29 AM
I'd like to see Burley given another campaign

I wouldn't Andy. He's gash.

Get Souness in.

And give him a free hand:agree:

Spike Mandela
12-09-2009, 08:30 AM
What is the point of giving someone 18 months of experience in the job then ditching them. If Burley has learned from his experience Scotland could benefit.

Despite all the plaudits Smith and McLeish get they failed to take Scotland to a tournament as well.

For me the media clamour against Burley boils down to the fact he doesn't fit in to the OF clique.

He wouldn't have been my choice for the job last time but I now think it is time to stick by him.

heretoday
12-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Let's get away from appointing old queens like Smith, Burley, Sounness etc.

Scour the UK and Europe for a young coach with some sort of vision if no one else has spotted him first.

HibeeSince82
12-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't Andy. He's gash.

Get Souness in.

And give him a free hand:agree:

Souness would be a nightmare. When was the last time he did anything?

Not a big fan of him at all.

BSEJVT
12-09-2009, 10:32 AM
cannae really disagree, however smith isnae the answer.

I dont think Smith is the answer either.

FWIW I dont think the SFA even understand the question.

Its just one hackneyed ex international after another.

With the players currently at our disposal its a poisoned chalice for whoever gets it

Big Frank
12-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Souness would be a nightmare. When was the last time he did anything?

Not a big fan of him at all.

Top quality footballer. Better footballer and achieved more than any Scottish manager I can remember . As a manager he has done far more than most.(Stein and the short term fergie excluded). Won more as a player than any Scottish Manager I can think of. Did better in England than Walter Smith. Has won more at player level and management level than Burley ever did.Takes no ***** frim players either. Won league title in Scotland and Turkey and a hit in Portugal....
Successful where ever he has been generally.

Good attributes really.

When was the last time Burley did anything..........:wink:

Not liking him as a person is irrelevant.

ScottB
12-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Top quality footballer. Better footballer and achieved more than any Scottish manager I can remember . As a manager he has done far more than most.(Stein and the short term fergie excluded). Won more as a player than any Scottish Manager I can think of. Did better in England than Walter Smith. Has won more at player level and management level than Burley ever did.Takes no ***** frim players either. Won league title in Scotland and Turkey and a hit in Portugal....

Good attributes really.

And? Playing at a high level does not make you a good manager. How high a level did Alex Ferguson play at? By your logic we should be considering Paul Lambert and John Collins for the job then?

This obsession with the idea he'd 'take no **** from players' baffles me, his Rangers sides made Barry and Co look like teetotalers and while shouting and screaming at players at club level can work, as we have seen at International level, players will abandon it in if they dislike the way they are treated.

The guy has done the square root of f all in years and the bulk of what success he has came through the chequebook. He is not and never will be the answer.

We need someone with ambition, at either the beginning of their career or someone needing a boost for their CV to go onto bigger things (as McLeish did and you could say Strachan is now in the same situation) personally I don't mind if it's a foreigner, indeed that may be the best bet to hopefully prevent the media crusades from Traynor and the Daily Ranger for not picking a good Rangers Old Boy again.

faffkid
12-09-2009, 11:51 AM
I'd like to see Burley given another campaign.

We should give him some time to see how the team develop over a few friendlies.
We seem to be improving now and we don't have a campaign for another year.
It takes time to develop teams particularly at national level and we appear to be going in the right direction and are playing a better style of footie that us hibbies are supposed to be a fan off.
While I understand we are no Brazil I don't want to revert to the conservative tactics of Smith.
Burley is in desperate need of some media training and a turn in really bad fortune.
Also the side against Holland showed that the players are willing to play for him. Give him a bit more time. Changing managers every five minutes helps no one.

HibeeSince82
12-09-2009, 11:58 AM

Good attributes really.

Didnt mean about the person himself. Mean his managerial skills. Apart from 1 cup didnt do anything at blackburn! Did hehaw at Newcastle!