PDA

View Full Version : Remembering a Plastic Hibby!

therealgavmac
10-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Seeing the 9/11 & AEK thread prompted me to post this.

I had an amazing friend who lost his life on 9/11 - an Irish American called Danny van Laere. He spent a long weekend in Edinburgh with me and the wife one summer and as well as showing him the sites, took him to the shop at ER where he promptly bought himself some Hibs gear - scarf, pennant etc.

The last time I was in New York with him it was great to be drinking with him when he would turn to complete strangers and ask "Have you heard of the mental Hibees" in his New England accent - the looks on their faces were a peach! lol

Danny's office was on the 101st floor of the second towere to be hit and like so may others there were no signs or remains of him in the aftermath. And, like so many others, the funerals consisted of coffins filled with memories given by families and friends. Danny's coffin contained a picture of him in front of Edinburgh Castle with Hibs flad, the hibs flag and his Hibs pennant.

Sad to think of him at this time of year, but always makes me smile and sometimes laugh out loud at his antics.

Bless you Danny, we all love you :flag:

jacomo
10-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Hope all the best for his friends and family - must still be a very painful anniversary for all those who lost somebody that day.

lucky
10-09-2009, 03:15 PM

I had an amazing friend who lost his life on 9/11 - an Irish American called Danny van Laere. He spent a long weekend in Edinburgh with me and the wife one summer and as well as showing him the sites, took him to the shop at ER where he promptly bought himself some Hibs gear - scarf, pennant etc.

The last time I was in New York with him it was great to be drinking with him when he would turn to complete strangers and ask "Have you heard of the mental Hibees" in his New England accent - the looks on their faces were a peach! lol

Danny's office was on the 101st floor of the second towere to be hit and like so may others there were no signs or remains of him in the aftermath. And, like so many others, the funerals consisted of coffins filled with memories given by families and friends. Danny's coffin contained a picture of him in front of Edinburgh Castle with Hibs flad, the hibs flag and his Hibs pennant.

Sad to think of him at this time of year, but always makes me smile and sometimes laugh out loud at his antics.

It actually puts into reality the pain and hurt of thousands of people yet there are people on here who used the AEK thread to diss the memory of many innocent victims because a footie GAME was cancelled.

blackpoolhibs
10-09-2009, 03:25 PM
It actually puts into reality the pain and hurt of thousands of people yet there are people on here who used the AEK thread to diss the memory of many innocent victims because a footie GAME was cancelled.

I think thats a bit unfair. Nobody as far as i can see was dissing as you say, any of the victims. :confused: I went to the cancelled game, i understand why it was called off, but don't understand why the Americans did not cancel their sporting events. Also, if the terrorists had flown into the tower of London, or the houses of parliament, i don't think for one minute sporting events in America would have stopped.

HibbyAndy
10-09-2009, 03:40 PM

Top post mate.

Very touchin.

Delboy*
10-09-2009, 03:54 PM

Nice one mate, sounds like a top lad n someone i'd hav been proud to have done the 'Hibees bounce' with!

Live Forever.

Dashing Bob S
10-09-2009, 03:57 PM

Seems a fine lad, and a very touching tribute from you there, Gav. Well done.

therealgavmac
10-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks for those replies - much appreciated folks

Baader
10-09-2009, 08:13 PM
That's brilliant mate and I liked reading it.

Used to drink in The Blarney Stone on West 32nd St (which I hear is sadly no more) and there was a good bit of Hibs memorabilia in there. Remember laughing at one of the locals talking about a scarf "Big Frank" Dougan bequeathed him in the broadest NY accent you ever heard.

Sorry to hear about anyone in the 'extended family' that has gone.

Thecat23
10-09-2009, 08:24 PM

That really was a great post mate. I'm sure tomorrow will be very hard for family and friends of Danny and the others who died that day. But that post is a very good way to remember your friend. I'm sure where ever he is he will still be keeping an eye on the Hibs.

God bless.

West Upper
10-09-2009, 08:27 PM

Very Touching. He sounds like a great guy.

MB62
11-09-2009, 09:41 AM

Sounds like a good mental Hibby right enough. :thumbsup:

Very good post and heart goes out to everyone who suffered on that day.

Andy74
11-09-2009, 09:51 AM

You last sentence is bollox and uncalled for. Pity you had to ruin this thread with that.

crewetollhibee
11-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Great post mate. Cant believe its 8 years ago; think it was one of those days that will always feel as though it just happened last month. RIP Danny and all who died alongside him.

Graham Law
11-09-2009, 10:06 AM

What a complete Jockey you are for putting this up on this thread... totally uncalled for....:agree:

God bless Danny van Laere and his family and friends and anyone else that is mourning their loved ones today...

Littlest Hobo
11-09-2009, 12:55 PM

:thumbsup::top marks