PDA

View Full Version : Deek - Back to his best???

magnificent_seven
30-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Looks back to his best. His work rate so far this season has been second to none, chasing every ball and always looking dangerous. Hopefully he can keep it up!!

Littlest Hobo
30-08-2009, 05:15 PM
The best I've seen the wee man play for a while. Still I'd rather he was anonymous like last week and score two goals! :wink:

Hibby Kate
30-08-2009, 05:48 PM
He's back to the Deeks we had before he moved to septic :agree:

Action Jackson
30-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Derek played well today. :thumbsup:

Well done.

nickwhibs
30-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Yep I agree. He worked hard today was always trying to get involved in the game by getting on the ball. He was also back to his old ways of running at defenders and taking them on.

hibee_girl
30-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Was very impressed with him today, was the hardest he's worked for a long time.

HibbyAndy
30-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Was great today.

Unlucky with a free kick that had Boruc beaten all ends up.

wazoo1875
30-08-2009, 06:43 PM
I also commented on this to the mates in the boozer afterwards . That is the hardest working performance i have seen from Deeks in a long time . He was unlucky with his freekick too and i think he will get better playing alonside Stokes :agree:

Petrie's Tache
30-08-2009, 06:46 PM
I also commented on this to the mates in the boozer afterwards . That is the hardest working performance i have seen from Deeks in a long time . He was unlucky with his freekick too and i think he will get better playing alonside Stokes :agree:

Yeah right then!, must have been talking to the Johnny machine:greengrin

stokesmessiah
30-08-2009, 07:32 PM
I watched the match on ESPN as im afraid i could not make it down this weekend.

I thought that pretty much everything good (attacking wise) we done came through Deek, and also thought he was looking sharper than ever.

I was just wondering what everyone else's opinion on this matter was??

GGTTH

PISTOL1875
30-08-2009, 07:50 PM
We will see how he does against Hamilton.. Remember , he wants to ram it up Celtic...

marinello59
30-08-2009, 08:01 PM
We will see how he does against Hamilton.. Remember , he wants to ram it up Celtic...

He must have wanted to ram it up Falkirk as well.:greengrin

cockneymike
30-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Couldn't agree more. I also watched the game on espn, and thought that he was excellent, at one stage, in the corner of the picture - I even saw him tracking back! Very unlucky not to score as well had a couple of good efforts well saved, by pieman boruc.

King Paddy
30-08-2009, 08:15 PM
maybe felt he had a point to prove v Celtic. Just wish his work rate was like it was today in every SPL game.

matty_f
30-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Riordan was excellent today. How he's nowhere near the Scotland squad is a mystery. All that was missing from his performance today was a goal, and that was mainly down to Borat.

wazoo1875
30-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Yeah right then!, must have been talking to the Johnny machine:greengrin
Walked into that one didn't i :grr:
:greengrin

Hibs Soldier
30-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Looks back to his best. His work rate so far this season has been second to none, chasing every ball and always looking dangerous. Hopefully he can keep it up!!

His fault for the goal imo.

DaniAndersson
30-08-2009, 08:57 PM

:lolyam: :nade: :jamboclow

Onceinawhile
30-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Thought he played pretty well, just wish he had an extra yard of pace though.

Having said that, when Mcgeady fouled him, he was clean through, 20 yards out, last man or not, how is that not a goalscoring opportunity?

His skill to nutmeg Caldwell was fantastic, shame about the bit afterwards:confused:

Hibs Soldier
30-08-2009, 09:04 PM
:lolyam: :nade: :jamboclow
Original:top marks

If he tracked Hinkel and stoped him get the cross in then it wouldn't have happend, maybe.

sauzee_4
30-08-2009, 09:05 PM

Getting there, no quite there yet though:greengrin

Hopefully will be when the hearts come calling

Auckland Hibs
30-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Riordan was excellent today. How he's nowhere near the Scotland squad is a mystery. All that was missing from his performance today was a goal, and that was mainly down to Borat.

I think the mystery is the off-field issues he's had. If he keeps his head down for the duration then he'll be a Scotland regular IMO.

HibbyAndy
30-08-2009, 10:40 PM

If he tracked Hinkel and stoped him get the cross in then it wouldn't have happend, maybe.

Wouldnt that be our LB's duty?

silverhibee
30-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Wouldnt that be our LB's duty?

Or Rankin.:wink:

HibbyAndy
30-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Or Rankin.:wink:

Exactly.

Riordan was different class today IMO...constantly wanted on the ball.

Hibercelona
30-08-2009, 11:24 PM
He defo looks sharper. :agree:

Needs to work more on his pace though!

Sir David Gray
30-08-2009, 11:24 PM
I think the mystery is the off-field issues he's had. If he keeps his head down for the duration then he'll be a Scotland regular IMO.

:agree: If you look at the forwards who were selected for the upcoming matches against Macedonia and Holland, Derek Riordan is head and shoulders above all of them, in terms of his goalscoring ability.

It's absolutely ridiculous that people like Kevin Kyle are being called up ahead of him.

If he keeps his nose clean, he just has to be a regular in the Scotland squad.

Baldy Foghorn
30-08-2009, 11:38 PM

:confused::confused:

You say his workrate has been second to none this season, utter nonsense. Although Today he did put a shift in.....

JimBHibees
31-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Derek set the bar for performance today IMO, he just needs to replicate the workrate and sharpness and he will score a lot of goals this season. Also thought he should have tracked Hinkel for the goal which exposed Hanlon.

Expecting Rain
31-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Derek set the bar for performance today IMO, he just needs to replicate the workrate and sharpness and he will score a lot of goals this season. Also thought he should have tracked Hinkel for the goal which exposed Hanlon.

Deeks is an exceptional player and if he shows us another side to his game off the ball in terms of work rate then John Hughes will find it a lot easier to impose the systems and formations that he wants us to play.

skipster7
31-08-2009, 09:23 AM
surely if our left back is left 2 v 1, the left midfielder (rankin) is at fault ? from where i was sitting deek looked to be bursting a gut cause rankin had been pulled inside as had been happening the whole first half.

JimBHibees
31-08-2009, 09:37 AM
surely if our left back is left 2 v 1, the left midfielder (rankin) is at fault ? from where i was sitting deek looked to be bursting a gut cause rankin had been pulled inside as had been happening the whole first half.

he was standing on the centre line,:confused: from what I can remember celtc worked the ball very well and hinkel was allowed to wander forward unhindered with deek leaving him, well worked from their point of view however the full back shouldnt be getting a free cross into the box

Teo10
31-08-2009, 10:19 AM
he was standing on the centre line,:confused: from what I can remember celtc worked the ball very well and hinkel was allowed to wander forward unhindered with deek leaving him, well worked from their point of view however the full back shouldnt be getting a free cross into the box

Surely then the left midfielder should be picking the man up. It happens everygame we play where rankin is out wide, he gets dragged into the middle far too much leaving us with no width and the left back exposed. Yogi has to tell him that he has to stay out wide and not drift in.

JimBHibees
31-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Surely then the left midfielder should be picking the man up. It happens everygame we play where rankin is out wide, he gets dragged into the middle far too much leaving us with no width and the left back exposed. Yogi has to tell him that he has to stay out wide and not drift in.

No doubt Rankin was tracking a run inside as Celtic were moving the ball about well from side to side, we had 2 players up so one of them IMO should have been tracking a full backs run forward.

Judas Iscariot
31-08-2009, 10:23 AM

:faf:

spudhib
31-08-2009, 10:29 AM

Don't think its down to a centre forward to track the runs of the opposing right back.

JimBHibees
31-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Don't think its down to a centre forward to track the runs of the opposing right back.

Why not, Deek was playing on the left and should track a full back.

silverhibee
31-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Why not, Deek was playing on the left and should track a full back.

Hibs played a 4-4-2 yesterday, and Riordan was part of the two upfront, it should have been the job of Rankin to track back to keep an eye on hinkel, but he got himself dragged in to the middle of the park chasing a celtc player, he should have kept his position out on the left and let the celtc player be picked up by one of our players in the middle.

Hibs7
31-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Hibs played a 4-4-2 yesterday, and Riordan was part of the two upfront, it should have been the job of Rankin to track back to keep an eye on hinkel, but he got himself dragged in to the middle of the park chasing a celtc player, he should have kept his position out on the left and let the celtc player be picked up by one of our players in the middle.

Agree Rankin was everywhere yesterday and that does not help believe it or not.

JimBHibees
31-08-2009, 11:19 AM

So Rankin is to mark both a wide midfielder and a full back. We had 2 forwards one of them should be tracking back when a defender pushes on. Deek did this on a few occasions in the first half but for the goal didnt.

Phil MaGlass
31-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Big well done tae Deek, played well and his movement off the ball was good to see. It is good tae see him up for it yesterday,now lets hope he can keep up the workrate momentum, this is the kind of attitude that may well have him in a Scotland shirt next campaign.