PDA

View Full Version : Former Players

brog
26-08-2009, 12:39 PM
I've been somewhat bemused over the close season to read the amount of derogatory comments about 3 former players, Fletcher, Jones & McNeil, all of whom gave us excellent service & specifically contributed hugely to our 2007 league cup win.
Meanwhile, I've not seen a mention of AOB, arguably the greatest underachiever for Hibs in the last decade or so. Last night Swindon lost to Wolves on penalties. AOB was a sub, came on before pens but Swindon preferred to let the keeper ( scored ) & centre back ( missed ) take pens before they entrusted the flying fairy with the ball.
Personally I wish all former players well but I have particular affection for Fletch & Jones who served us well & brought in the cash (to allow Stokes purchase) when they left. Lofty of course did not leave of his own volition but I trust & hope he finds a senior club soon, there's a lot worse keepers than Andy. ( Ask Pittenweem! )

Hibercelona
26-08-2009, 12:44 PM
I've been somewhat bemused over the close season to read the amount of derogatory comments about 3 former players, Fletcher, Jones & McNeil, all of whom gave us excellent service & specifically contributed hugely to our 2007 league cup win.
Meanwhile, I've not seen a mention of AOB, arguably the greatest underachiever for Hibs in the last decade or so. Last night Swindon lost to Wolves on penalties. AOB was a sub, came on before pens but Swindon preferred to let the keeper ( scored ) & centre back ( missed ) take pens before they entrusted the flying fairy with the ball.
Personally I wish all former players well but I have particular affection for Fletch & Jones who served us well & brought in the cash (to allow Stokes purchase) when they left. Lofty of course did not leave of his own volition but I trust & hope he finds a senior club soon, there's a lot worse keepers than Andy. ( Ask Pittenweem! )

AOB is gone?.... Most of us never even realized he was here. :wink:

As for the more "noticed" players.... I think most people on here are actually quite happy to see them move on.

People are happy about Fletcher's 2 goals and wish him all the best.

And most of us wish Jones a speedy recovery.

Can't say i've really noticed any negativity directed towards them.

Hermit Crab
26-08-2009, 12:59 PM

As for the more "noticed" players.... I think most people on here are actually quite happy to see them move on.

He was playing for swindon last night in the cup

H18sry
26-08-2009, 01:04 PM

He was playing for swindon last night in the cup

no **** sherlock :devil:

Berwickhibby
26-08-2009, 01:06 PM

Good points made Brian, I personaly was sad to see Jones go, but wished him well. Fletcher was destined for the Permiership and Hibs recieved good money for him. As for Lofty, a nice guy but sadly was never going to make the grade at hibs. GGTTH

Crazyhorse
26-08-2009, 02:17 PM
I think there has been some mockery of previous players on here e.g. McNeill and Jones. I've always found that to be odd. We have very few ex players who played in teams that actually won something for the club out there so generally I tend to look at all of them as real Hibs heroes.

RoslinInstHibby
26-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Good points made Brian, I personaly was sad to see Jones go, but wished him well. Fletcher was destined for the Permiership and Hibs recieved good money for him. As for Lofty, a nice guy but sadly was never going to make the grade at hibs. GGTTH

yep, i wish Jones and Fletch all the best, they were great players for us. AOB never hit the heights here but i know from speaking to him that he was gutted at how it his hibs career went. I still wish him all the best for the future though.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-08-2009, 06:06 PM
I was no fan of AOB and was glad when he left, but I think that of all the players that we have had issues with, he knew full well that he was under-performing and that there was a massive contradiction between what he was paid and what he actually delivered. He left with his dignity IMO and there are a few players that could not claim that with any credibility.