PDA

View Full Version : NHC Leighton axed 'to save Dons cash'

YehButNoBut
24-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Seems Aberdeen have sacked Jim Leighton as their goalkeeping coach as they cannot afford a dedicated goalkeeping coach.

Think the Hibs boards years of financial thriftiness may be about to pay off as we are in a position to spend now whilst almost every other club is the opposite.

This should put Hibs in a strong position in the coming years. :agree:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/8217147.stm

Woody1985
24-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Seems Aberdeen have sacked Jim Leighton as their goalkeeping coach as they cannot afford a dedicated goalkeeping coach.

Think the Hibs boards years of financial thriftiness may be about to pay off as we are in a position to spend now whilst almost every other club is the opposite.

Been saying this for months.

--------
24-08-2009, 04:49 PM

"On the playing side I need to make sure I get value for money and on the backroom staff I have to look at my budget and I have to see what I'm getting for that money. In order to do that, I have to bring in people who are multi-tasking. I can't afford to have someone whose specific and only role is a goalkeeping coach. It certainly wasn't any criticism of Jim as a goalkeeping coach."

Leighton's replacement will have to be able to make cheap and economical toast. :devil:

Brando7
24-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Not exactly axed to save cash when they are planning on replacing him with Colin Meldrum

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2602782/Dons-dump-Leighton.html

YehButNoBut
24-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Not exactly axed to save cash when they are planning on replacing him with Colin Meldrum

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2602782/Dons-dump-Leighton.html

Maybe Colin's an expert with a toaster.:wink:

vanNISHtelroy
24-08-2009, 04:56 PM
I doubt that Melly will be anything other than a specific goalkeeping coach.

Good luck to him, hope he is good with a toaster as yous say!

One Colin Meldrum :cool2:

Dashing Bob S
24-08-2009, 04:56 PM
"On the playing side I need to make sure I get value for money and on the backroom staff I have to look at my budget and I have to see what I'm getting for that money. In order to do that, I have to bring in people who are multi-tasking. I can't afford to have someone whose specific and only role is a goalkeeping coach. It certainly wasn't any criticism of Jim as a goalkeeping coach."

Leighton's replacement will have to be able to make cheap and economical toast. :devil:

That was the rationale in the Jambo's signing of Susan. He's excellent at serving up in the 'hozzy'.

col02
24-08-2009, 04:59 PM
If they are getting an experienced keeper in to take training and be there as back up then I see no problem with it. A bit harsh on Leighton but you only have to look at Dundee United with Banks to see there is a merit in the decision to get a guy on board to do this if finances are a bit tight.

TheBall'sRound
24-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Maybe Colin's an expert with a toaster.:wink:

That's nothing! You should see what he is capable of if Aberdeen ever make the step up to a Breville!

Stand free wherever you may be
Our goalkeeping coach makes a mean toastie!

ginger_rice
24-08-2009, 07:05 PM
I heard in Greggs that they are in the market for a George Foreman before the window shuts. :greengrin

ancient hibee
24-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Goal keeping coaches are an unnecessary modern fad(probably encouraged originally by retired goalies) and probably account for the drop in standards of Scottish goalkeepers.

Spike Mandela
24-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Shocking way to treat an Aberdeen legend IMO.

Hope McGhee flops miserably:bitchy:

Brando7
24-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Surprised they never asked him to become a player coach again :greengrin

That would ave saved a few pennies

Jim44
24-08-2009, 08:10 PM
McGhee speak with forked tongue..................dispicable person, in my opinion.

FRes Hibbie
24-08-2009, 08:48 PM
McGhee speak with forked tongue..................dispicable person, in my opinion.

I would have hated it had he got the Hibs job. You couldn't pick up a newspaper all summer long without him whoring himself to Celtic. Not the sort of thing I'd want my team's prospective manager doing.

heretoday
24-08-2009, 09:23 PM
A goalkeeping coach is a bit of an extravagance methinks. Leighton is probably annoyed at losing a nice wee sinecure.

BEEJ
24-08-2009, 09:42 PM
It was a scenario that I thought might develop at Easter Road when news of Marsh's imminent demise first started to emerge.