PDA

View Full Version : Scotland ,Who really cares?

spatzhibs
12-08-2009, 10:47 PM
As a Hibs fan I cant really get excited about third rate players who get outplayed by Norway-and as for the "Tartan Army" they are a total embarassment.As for us singing Flower of Scotland at the Bolton I have never felt so nauseos :grr::grr:

7Hero
12-08-2009, 10:49 PM
[don't try to beat the swear filter] off you cretin...

Amended by admin

Crab apple
12-08-2009, 10:51 PM
As a Hibs fan I cant really get excited about third rate players who get outplayed by Norway-and as for the "Tartan Army" they are a total embarassment.As for us singing Flower of Scotland at the Bolton I have never felt so nauseos :grr::grr:

I too prefer Hibs but these kind of statements about the tartan army are those I'd usually expect from a Rangers fan.

Wembley67
12-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Blah blah, yer an arse of the highest calibre

Jonnyboy
12-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Guys entitled to his view folks - please cut out the abuse

Ta muchly :agree:

Booked4Being-Ugly
12-08-2009, 10:55 PM
:jamboclow:fishin:

woody47
12-08-2009, 10:55 PM

Good first post.
NOT!!!!
How can you come on here with your high and almighty comments about supporters who still sing to the end. I just wish the Hibs fans would sing as much.
You are the embarassment:grr: with comments like that.

spatzhibs
12-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Sorry I dont see the fun in middle aged men wearing a kilt and a feather in their hat, getting drunk and singing an unfactul song from centuries ago as a great gig:bye:

Wembley67
12-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Sorry I dont see the fun in middle aged men wearing a kilt and a feather in their hat, getting drunk and singing an unfactul song from centuries ago as a great gig:bye:

Search the forums, this has been done to death.

I know your allowed an opinion but so am I and your a fud.

woody47
12-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Search the forums, this has been done to death.

I know your allowed an opinion but so am I and your a fud.

Hear! hear! :top marks

Hibby 2005
12-08-2009, 11:12 PM
We all know that those that follow Scotland abroad are there in the hope that they see their team win, but mainly they are there to get pissed, forget about the wife and kids and (hopefully) get laid, to get drunk (definitely) etc., etc.

Football is just part of it.

oldbutdim
12-08-2009, 11:23 PM

I'm a Hibs fan too. But I don't see being a Hibby and wanting my country to win as being mutually exclusive. I really wanted Scotland to win.

I can see your point about the Tartan Army. I've been a Scotland fan at Scotland games, but the "professional celebration" bit never really did it for me.

The exposing of one's privates at young women and drunken fighting with strangers is nothing to do with football.

So the magistrate told me anyhow. 3 months.

To be fair it was a wet Tuesday night in Comrie, and I thought she'd be genuinely interested. I had no idea her brothers were there.

I've gone off topic haven't I.

Jonnyboy
12-08-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm a Hibs fan too. But I don't see being a Hibby and wanting my country to win as being mutually exclusive. I really wanted Scotland to win.

I can see your point about the Tartan Army. I've been a Scotland fan at Scotland games, but the "professional celebration" bit never really did it for me.

The exposing of one's privates at young women and drunken fighting with strangers is nothing to do with football.

So the magistrate told me anyhow. 3 months.

To be fair it was a wet Tuesday night in Comrie, and I thought she'd be genuinely interested. I had no idea her brothers were there.

I've gone off topic haven't I.

:greengrin

Owain_1987
13-08-2009, 12:22 AM
I like Scotland but they come a very large 2nd 500 odd points beind Hibs. Nothing against Flower Scotland tho love being Scottish :greengrin Did not watch the game tonight and for someone who would watch any football shows how little I care.

jgl07
13-08-2009, 01:36 AM
Well said.

Flower of Scotland is a dirge. It sounds rubbish whenever it is sung. It is a fake Jacobite song composed in the late nineteen sixties.

A trully horrible song!

truehibernian
13-08-2009, 02:24 AM
This should be the next national anthem at games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnHRTmZGS6g

Sums it all up really :agree:

legends of 73
13-08-2009, 03:12 AM
We all know that those that follow Scotland abroad are there in the hope that they see their team win, but mainly they are there to get pissed, forget about the wife and kids and (hopefully) get laid, to get drunk (definitely) etc., etc.

Football is just part of it.

what a lot of utter pish

so the 400 or so fans that arrived at edinburgh airport in the early hours are not true scotland fans as they were none of the above.

get it out of your head that all scotland fans behave like that it's just a percentage who do just like the percentage of casuals that fudge things up for hibs fans

Wakeyhibee
13-08-2009, 03:59 AM
Well said.

Flower of Scotland is a dirge. It sounds rubbish whenever it is sung. It is a fake Jacobite song composed in the late nineteen sixties.
A trully horrible song!

May be a dirge but is nothing to do with the Jacobites rebellion.

scott7_0(Prague)
13-08-2009, 07:17 AM

Do one ya erse.

Steve-O
13-08-2009, 07:20 AM

:yawn::yawn::yawn::bye:

What DO you see the fun in then you grumpy radge?

bighairyfaeleith
13-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Guys entitled to his view folks - please cut out the abuse

Ta muchly :agree:

piss off :wink:

Steve-O
13-08-2009, 07:23 AM
piss off :wink:

:faf:

Golden Bear
13-08-2009, 07:34 AM

I'm delighted you've never felt so "nauseos" and I suggest it's you that is the embarressment

Let's hope you're nausitation is not just a short term illness.

Gmack7
13-08-2009, 07:35 AM
what about middle aged men and women wearing ill fitting shellsuits singing unfactual songs about northern ireland which they coudn,t find on a map, during scottish league matches while blootered out there nut,is that fun for you:bye:

bighairyfaeleith
13-08-2009, 07:39 AM

thats not really a sentence is it,read it again and perhaps try again?

Or is that they way people talk in govan and tynecastle?

:spammy:

J-C
13-08-2009, 07:41 AM

Ah! the "Tartan Army" a bunch of supporters who travel to away games to support their national team and are respected all over the world for their good nature and humour. These guys are willing to fork out hundreds of pounds a time to support the national team, tell me how much do you spend supporting Hibs at away matches. :confused:

Singing Flower of Scotland at Bolton was a piece of harmless fun and probably came about because some Bolton supporters were wearing England shirts and goading the Hibs fans, get a grip and grow up.

Can't argue with the 3rd rate comment, I switched over at half time cause it was so embarassing, I know our season hasn't started yet but some of the basic schoolboy errors was rediculous.

Jack
13-08-2009, 08:06 AM
As I said elsewhere I think much of the problem is that those who have seen Scotland in a major finals are becoming fewer and fewer, 1998 being the last of those able to appreciate it in the pub with their mates now being the wrong side of 30.

For folk of around my age we saw the World Cup in 1974, 1978, 1982, 1986, 1990, 1998 and the Euros in 1992, 1996, many made all the better because England wasn’t there! It was our rite to be there and even those stay at home fans had a great time.

I was in Spain in 1986 and just happened to be in Germany when they won it in 1996 the atmosphere in the country is electric, never mind just a stadium.

It’s a great pity we have been not very good since then, you young guys just don’t know what your missing.

As for you spatzhibs, care in the community has a lot to answer for.

spatzhibs
13-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Govan and tynecastle?Sorry Mr Leith what is it you are saying?:blah::blah::blah: Big mouth Know all

Steve-O
13-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Govan and tynecastle?Sorry Mr Leith what is it you are saying?:blah::blah::blah: Big mouth Know all

:kettle:

bighairyfaeleith
13-08-2009, 08:34 AM

oooh touched a nerve have i govan :dummytit:

spatzhibs
13-08-2009, 08:42 AM
As Ive lived in Leith and been a Hibs fan for 40 years Im a bit pished off you think I come from Govan or worse still Tynie

bighairyfaeleith
13-08-2009, 09:16 AM
As Ive lived in Leith and been a Hibs fan for 40 years Im a bit pished off you think I come from Govan or worse still Tynie

why would you care what i think?:confused:

Littlest Hobo
13-08-2009, 09:21 AM
I care with a passion. That was god awful to watch last night. Scotland is the place i was born and the country i support. What's wrong with people these days that they don't want to support their country? Or are embarrassed by the kilt? Or by the TA? Miserable shower need to get a life!:wink:

As George Burley says it's still in our own hands, we just have to win our next two games, one of which is against the dutch.:faf:

--------
13-08-2009, 10:09 AM
I care with a passion. That was god awful to watch last night. Scotland is the place i was born and the country i support. What's wrong with people these days that they don't want to support their country? Or are embarrassed by the kilt? Or by the TA? Miserable shower need to get a life!:wink:

As George Burley says it's still in our own hands, we just have to win our next two games, one of which is against the dutch.:faf:

You don't have much choice if you're born in the place. FWIW I believe that the 'universal respect' in which the world holds the Tartan Army is a bit of a myth - 'universal' is a big word, and respect can get a bit thin on the ground from time to time, depending on the behaviour of particular groups of fans. The idea of them all being 'foot-soldiers' seems a bit silly to me - pretentious, even. Generally speaking, however, they do not too badly.

Better them than the super-heavyweight division of the BNP beer-swillers singing 'Land of Hope and Glory' or building Jerusalem in England's green unpleasant land....

Last night was a shambles. We shouldn't have accepted the game in the first place - playing on the Wednesday before the SPL starts, the Wednesday after the Championship kicked off, when every manager worth his salt wants his players in training, fit and ready to go, not halfway across Europe playing for someone else....

(If there hadn't been WC games last night, there wouldn't have been friendlies, so Sol and Zouma and Maka wouldn't have been away either.)

Having accepted it, it might have been good if the Three Wise Men had actually worked out a rational way of approaching it as opposed to their 'pick the first eleven whose names come out of the hat' selection (where have we seen THAT approach before?) along with the 'let's appease the Huns by putting Naismith in the papers' idea. Or did they really think that a guy who plays twice in a year as a Rangers sub was a better bet than players who play regularly in the SPL and Championship? Even if Deek isn't yet match-fit (he's fitter than Naismith, for sure), Clarkson played and scored for Bristol at the weekend. Good goal, too. But then so did Hartley, and he didn't get on the pitch. George preferred a 39-year-old defender to him in midfield. :confused:

George, Terry and Elvis have been irreparably damaged by Boozegate. The Huns are gloating this morning and expecting a new manager to come in soon whose first act will be to re-instate the neds. That, IMO, would be totally unacceptable - I will not support or wish well to any team containing Boyd, Ferguson, or McGregor.

My one complaint against the TA is that they turn out regardless. That may sound strange, but if Hampden Park were to be empty for the next two games, maybe the SFA would take a tumble to themselves and do something about the team. Unquestioning and unquestioned loyalty can at times be counter-productive.

But in fact I'm not convinced that there's still really such a thing as 'Scottish football' to support.

ancient hibee
13-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Too many in the Tartan Army think they are the story not the team.

Sandy
13-08-2009, 11:39 AM

It might have something to do with your grammar :cool2:

Hibster
13-08-2009, 11:46 AM
If people who don't support the national team just kept it to themselves it would be fine. But its the constant need to remind others of how much they don't care, how much they hope they lose etc that gets on people's nerves.

If you don't support the team - fine. Just don't go on about it cos its really nothing to boast about

hibiedude
13-08-2009, 11:47 AM

I care about our national team so not sure what your on about to be honest, and hearing flower of Scotland being sung gets the juices flowing. Clearly you have no pride in your country with your silly comments. :bitchy:

bighairyfaeleith
13-08-2009, 11:48 AM
If people who don't support the national team just kept it to themselves it would be fine. But its the constant need to remind others of how much they don't care, how much they hope they lose etc that gets on people's nerves.

If you don't support the team - fine. Just don't go on about it cos its really nothing to boast about

well said, however I would like to point out that not supporting hearts is something to boast about and you should reguarly remind any yams you know just how fortunate you are not to have to support such a morally bankrupt football (I use the term loosely) club.

joebakerforever
13-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Well said.

A trully horrible song!

Flower of Scotland, composed by the the late Roy Williamson, refers to the Battle of Bannockburn, nothing to do with Jacobite Rebellion.

Personally agree it's a dirge and is about as cheerful as God Save the Queen.

Pity we didn't have a stirring national anthem like La Marseillaise.

After last night, perhaps "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" would be more appropriate.

Re the Tartan Army, it's unfair to stereotype them all as attention seekers, as some I know that follow Scotland far and wide, never wear tartan or publicise their allegiance outwith the actual stadium.

Bishop Hibee
13-08-2009, 12:55 PM

Launch the English fud :wink:

basehibby
13-08-2009, 01:00 PM

I care about Scotland - and as for getting outplayed by Norway - if you watched the game then you'd know that the opposite was true for large stretches of the game - Scotland were passing the ball about well and unlucky not to be a goal up before Norway's hoof it up the park to Carrew tactics saw Caldwell booked twice in as many minutes.

Credit to Norway for taking full advantage of their numerical superiority, but I don't think they would have won without it - even if Burley's selection was puzzling to say the least!

As for being an embarassment - I think you qualify for that a lot more than the Scotland fans.

Jonnyboy
13-08-2009, 02:38 PM
I care about our national team so not sure what your on about to be honest, and hearing flower of Scotland being sung gets the juices flowing. Clearly you have no pride in your country with your silly comments. :bitchy:

Flower of Scotland is a dirge but then so is Sunshine on Leith IMO. Scotland/Hibs fans love the songs and they do stir the blood so all this dissing of FoS is pretty pointless I'd say

GieTheBaTaeReilly
13-08-2009, 02:53 PM
May be a dirge but is nothing to do with the Jacobites rebellion.

Correctamundo mate.

FOS is about Robert The Bruce (Robert II of Scotland), whose daughter Marjorie Bruce, married Robert Stewart aka Robert II of Scotland and founded the House of Stewart.

nickwhibs
13-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Ah! the "Tartan Army" a bunch of supporters who travel to away games to support their national team and are respected all over the world for their good nature and humour. These guys are willing to fork out hundreds of pounds a time to support the national team, tell me how much do you spend supporting Hibs at away matches. :confused:

Singing Flower of Scotland at Bolton was a piece of harmless fun and probably came about because some Bolton supporters were wearing England shirts and goading the Hibs fans, get a grip and grow up.

Can't argue with the 3rd rate comment, I switched over at half time cause it was so embarassing, I know our season hasn't started yet but some of the basic schoolboy errors was rediculous.

:top marksWell said!

Mixu62
13-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Scottish footballers, aw yeah, those guys who's diet consists of pies and pints, who rarely if ever stay behind after trianing to work on their skill levels, or understanding of the game, who frequently get shown up for the unfit, incompetent bufoons they are and who stop working on their game the minute they get their first pro wage packet, who's sole ambition in their chosen sport/profession is to play for the old firm then warm the bench for 2 years. Excuse me if I no longer care about the national embarrassment...oops I mean team.

As for the tartan army, got some admiration for them, but they need to show their dis-satisfaction more. Let these overpaid numpties know that their lack of prefessionalism is unacceptable.

Rant over! Off for a lie down now.