PDA

View Full Version : Murray's best position?

Cocaine&Caviar
10-08-2009, 11:16 AM
What are everyone's thoughts?

Personally i see him best at CB, but a partnership with Hogg would lack a bit of ariel dominance...

Cod Boy
10-08-2009, 11:19 AM
doggy

CABBAGE & RIBS
10-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Center mid but he'll probably play the utility role and fit in where needed.

blackpoolhibs
10-08-2009, 11:21 AM
What are everyone's thoughts?

Personally i see him best at CB, but a partnership with Hogg would lack a bit of ariel dominance...

I think his best position was midfield, i'm not sure if he has the legs to play in there anymore. I do like him at centre half, although if he were to play there, for me he would replace hogg, not partner him. I have a hunch we will see him at left back this season, after his suspension. He's played there pre season, if he was to play any other position, we'd have seen him there i think.

--------
10-08-2009, 11:31 AM
I think his best position was midfield, i'm not sure if he has the legs to play in there anymore. I do like him at centre half, although if he were to play there, for me he would replace hogg, not partner him. I have a hunch we will see him at left back this season, after his suspension. He's played there pre season, if he was to play any other position, we'd have seen him there i think.

He played as partner to Thicot at Tynecastle last season, and organised and directed the back four very well. One thought I have is that he and Bamba together might work, but that means Hogg is dropped, and as Hogg is captain that's not likely.

It's a natural progression for a midfielder to step back to sweeper as he grows older, but then teams don't seem to play the sweeper system these days.

I have no problem with Chris Hogg, but I have to say I was a wee bit surprised that Ian wasn't made team captain. But I have every confidence in Chris in that role.

PeterboroHibee
10-08-2009, 11:34 AM
doggy

:hilarious

I would prefer him in midfield but more than happy with him at LB/CB, hes a great utility player and gives everything no matter where he plays.

basehibby
10-08-2009, 12:44 PM
I think that IN THE CURRENT STRONGEST LINEUP Murray is best played at LB. That's because he's the clear standout leader in that position from the currently available contenders.

At his other favoured positions - CB and CDM - it's less clear cut as we have stronger options - although I could still see him standing in at those positions at various times

J-C
10-08-2009, 01:07 PM

I agree, when he was first here he was an attacking left midfielder but injuries have caught up with him and as you said his legs are not what they were.His experience and knowledge would stand him in good stead for the defensive midfield role.

Billychaotic182
10-08-2009, 03:01 PM
doggy

:faf:

Hibs90
10-08-2009, 03:44 PM
I prefer him at left-back, although if it came down to a choice I'd have Murray in midfield instead of Rankin and Hanlon at left back.

Hibs Spain
10-08-2009, 03:46 PM
doggy:faf::faf:

500miles
10-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Left midfield isn't an option and it really should be IMO. He's been getting into the box a lot this pre-season, and i reckon would get 6 or 7 goals if he were playing there this season. In the last season he played there he got 10.

hibsbollah
10-08-2009, 07:50 PM
I think he's better in the middle of the park but in terms of fitting into our squad, it makes more sense having him at left back...at least until Hanlon has some more games under his belt.

ancient hibee
10-08-2009, 07:55 PM
I think he's better in the middle of the park but in terms of fitting into our squad, it makes more sense having him at left back...at least until Hanlon has some more games under his belt.

If he's going to play left back how's Hanlon gong to get more games under his belt?

MacBean
11-08-2009, 09:36 AM
He is a solid defender and can do a great job at left back and centre half, but he does his best work when playing in CM

blackpoolhibs
11-08-2009, 09:46 AM
He is a solid defender and can do a great job at left back and centre half, but he does his best work when playing in CM

I agree he is a solid defender, but worry if he still has the legs for the midfield role.:dunno: