PDA

View Full Version : Ian Murray

Baldy Foghorn
09-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Was anyone else surprised to see Ian Murray playing the last few matches as left back, when he misses the first 3 games of the Season through suspension....

I thought Yogi might have used alternative options, as he needs to see who can play in this position when Murray is not available?

Hiber-nation
09-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Was anyone else surprised to see Ian Murray playing the last few matches as left back, when he misses the first 3 games of the Season through suspension....

I thought Yogi might have used alternative options, as he needs to see who can play in this position when Murray is not available?

Was Hanlon not carrying a knock? Did seem a bit strange, maybe Yogi didn't want to risk a less experienced player against Premiership opposition, although Stevenson wouldn't exactly have let anyone down.

J-C
09-08-2009, 08:36 AM
I think we're well covered there with Hanlon (if fit) and Stevenson, both have enough experience to get us through.

Petrie's Tache
09-08-2009, 08:45 AM
I think we're well covered there with Hanlon (if fit) and Stevenson, both have enough experience to get us through.

You can add Booth to that list also. Very good attacking full back:agree:

Part/Time Supporter
09-08-2009, 09:13 AM
You could look at it the other way and say that the only game time Murray will get in the next month due to the international break is the league cup against Brechin. If he hadn't played against Blackburn and Bolton it would have been more difficult to bring him back in after suspension.

Brooster
09-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Paul Hanlon picked up a virus and was up all night on Friday with an uspet stomach. I expect him to play on Saturday, he would've played Lewis at LB at some stage in the last few days if he had any plans to play him there against St Mirren.

Billychaotic182
09-08-2009, 02:10 PM
You can add Booth to that list also. Very good attacking full back:agree:

As much as i rate boothy i think playin him now would be career suicide.

Haymaker
09-08-2009, 02:17 PM
You could look at it the other way and say that the only game time Murray will get in the next month due to the international break is the league cup against Brechin. If he hadn't played against Blackburn and Bolton it would have been more difficult to bring him back in after suspension.

:agree: Without a doubt

scoopyboy
09-08-2009, 07:03 PM

Dunfermline, Raith, Glentoran and Shamrock Rovers will tell you who the left back will be IMO.

number 27
10-08-2009, 08:29 AM
It looks like Murray will be playing left back when his suspension finishes and he has looked good in pre season. I expect Hanlon to replace him during suspension and with Booth still to come left back looks like it will not be a problem for a long time :thumbsup:

If only we could say the same of right back.

Baldy
10-08-2009, 08:33 AM
It looks like Murray will be playing left back when his suspension finishes and he has looked good in pre season. I expect Hanlon to replace him during suspension and with Booth still to come left back looks like it will not be a problem for a long time :thumbsup:

If only we could say the same of right back.

Hanlon is our best left back, and will be for a long time to come. Had he not been laid low with a virus I fully expect we would have seen him play on Saturday.

I would play Ian Murray in Midfield but I don't see why he couldn't play right back, that is where he played when he broke into the team including the Scotish cup final.

oneone73
10-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Hanlon is our best left back, and will be for a long time to come. Had he not been laid low with a virus I fully expect we would have seen him play on Saturday.

I would play Ian Murray in Midfield but I don't see why he couldn't play right back, that is where he played when he broke into the team including the Scotish cup final.

Interesting thought. He played really well in that cup final, though I would have said it was right mid rather than RB. Would like to see him tried there, tho.

number 27
10-08-2009, 08:39 AM

I dont disagree but the fact Murray was selected for Preston and blackburn at LB suggests to me that is where Yogi sees him.

To be pedantic it was more of a right wing back role he played at first wasnt it :dunno:

greenlex
10-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Wholehearted but his passing and decision making on Saturday was awful. He actually looked like he needed a rest.

Danderhall Hibs
10-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Wholehearted but his passing and decision making on Saturday was awful. He actually looked like he needed a rest.

I disagree, I thought he was our best player on Saturday.

blackpoolhibs
10-08-2009, 11:16 AM
I disagree, I thought he was our best player on Saturday.

I thought he played well, he is strong defencively, although the whole team struggled to do anything going forward. I thought Bamba and Maka were our best players, both looked like they could play in the bolton team, i wouldnt say that about Murray.

Danderhall Hibs
10-08-2009, 11:20 AM
I thought he played well, he is strong defencively, although the whole team struggled to do anything going forward. I thought Bamba and Maka were our best players, both looked like they could play in the bolton team, i wouldnt say that about Murray.

I don't think Bamba's good enough at centre-half. The only pressure the defence were under was pressure they created themselves by either passing the ball across the 18 yard box or by dribbling straight towards a Bolton player.

Maka didn't have much to do so - one really good save in the 1st half, can't think of much else though. And I doubt he'd get a game ahead of Jaaskelainen either.

scoopyboy
10-08-2009, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't care to argue as to who will play left back when Ian Murray's suspension is up but I feel we will start the season with Paul Hanlon playing there.

Ian Murray was always going to be playing for at least part games at Ewood Park and the Reebok to give him games.

Paul Hanlon had a slight knock which kept him out of the Blackburn game and then illness deprived him of playing at the Reebok. I think he would have started at the Reebok.

Andy74
10-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Interesting thought. He played really well in that cup final, though I would have said it was right mid rather than RB. Would like to see him tried there, tho.

Didn't Ian Murray play left wing back when he first broke through?

We moved Ulrik Laursen in from left wing back to left centre half to accomodate him.

Or was he on the right side before all that?

Speedway
10-08-2009, 12:48 PM
I think his best position is just behind the front two, making a late surge into the box.

sesoim
10-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Didn't Ian Murray play left wing back when he first broke through?

We moved Ulrik Laursen in from left wing back to left centre half to accomodate him.

Or was he on the right side before all that?

Yes, that was McLeish's great idea. So we had Murray, who at the time was petrified of holding the ball for any length of time, replacing Laursen, who was superb at LWB the previous season.

Murray has improved alot since then, but he should be in midfield, tackling, running and scoring goals. He is wasted at LB, and Hughes should have signed a new LB to release him from that position instead of filling the midfield up with non-scoring Falkirk mediocrity.