PDA

View Full Version : What Have Hibs Achieved In Pre-Season?

Speedway
08-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Well, that's pre season over with. Monday signals the start of specific preparation for the St. Mirren Game.

Looking at Yogi's first few weeks and having taken in most of the pre-season games, I see us having achieved the following:

1. We've learned to pass the ball to each other again.

2. We've become very good at winning the ball back once we've lost possession.

3. We contain teams well.

4. Stack's signing has scared Maka into concentrating

5. We're talking to each other and gee-ing each other up thoughout the team.

Areas for improvement:

1. Real lack of movement off the ball, people actually wanting the ball.

2. Full backs nor midfielders supplying a wing threat.

3. Midfield minus Zoumer has zero cutting edge.

Agree or disagree?

hibbie02
08-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Well, that's pre season over with. Monday signals the start of specific preparation for the St. Mirren Game.

Looking at Yogi's first few weeks and having taken in most of the pre-season games, I see us having achieved the following:

Areas for improvement:

2. Full backs nor midfielders supplying a wong threat.

Agree or disagree?

Aye but passing the ball has to result in something or else you end up with a team of Barry the Crabs. Passing is the way forward, as long as that is also the direction you are aiming for. :greengrin

wazoo1875
08-08-2009, 10:04 PM

Areas for improvement:

2. Full backs nor midfielders supplying a wong threat.

Agree or disagree?
I would agree with just about all of that Speedway , we can certainly pass the ball again , i thought we did this very well today for spells against pretty good opposition . We are talking to each other also . I also thought we had signed a new keeper today , the commentator on Eurosport kept refering to Maka as Callum Bye :greengrin . I am also a bit worried about a lack of movement off the ball , particularly when not in possesion of it , we could have filled spaces a bit quicker IMO . I think Zouma will be a big , big player for us this season and we really missed him today . All in all though i am really looking forward to the real action getting underway next Saturday :thumbsup:

pedroorange1875
08-08-2009, 10:13 PM
We are very much in danger of playing like the Falkirk of last season, passing to death, no real forward threat (despite us having much better strikers than Falkirk) and yes lots of Barry the crab movement, bit worried myself and agree about the Zouma comments, nothing going forward without him

lyonhibs
08-08-2009, 10:36 PM
When in possession of the ball, we need to be looking at advancing the play forward a good 20-30 yards asap - not a hoof, you understand, but all these triangles between - for example - Murray, Bamba and McBride are all very well and good, but they take plave 30 yards from OUR goal, not 30 yards away from THEIR goal, where possesion football is actually liable to lead to a chance.

A creative midfielder and another centre back are required and pronto - if (and I hope this isn't the case) we can only sign 1 more player, that it be someone capable of taking a share of the creative burden off Zemmamma.

matty_f
08-08-2009, 10:40 PM
We looked fairly toothless against Blackburn when we only had Nish up front, and without Zemmama today we showed that getting the ball into the forwards in dangerous areas is something that needs a bit of work.

That said, we look better organised, harder working, able to win and keep the ball... there are a lot more positives this year than there were last year.:agree:

I think there will be another couple of signings before the window closes, and so long as they do the trick then third is very much there for the taking.

NaeTechnoHibby
08-08-2009, 11:51 PM
We didnae ship so many goals this time :thumbsup:

Always look on the bright side :greengrin

Spike Mandela
09-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Personally I still reckon we are pretty crap to watch and the new signings have done nothing to improve the team.

Nice to have Zemmama back though

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-08-2009, 12:23 AM
From only watching todays game, I believe we are trying to play the game the right way, i.e pass the ball about rather than just humping it up, Mixu style.

But we need more of a cutting edge, we need the midfield to create more chances for the forwards.

Having said that, away to EPL opposition is maybe not the best analogy to St Mirren at home.

Cameron1875
09-08-2009, 12:26 AM
Mixu has done a lot of damage to hibs imo. Nice guy but it dissapoints me that the board didnt realise that he played hoofball when they appointed him. Surely they wanted to continue the good work that mowbray and collins did.

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Mixu has done a lot of damage to hibs imo. Nice guy but it dissapoints me that the board didnt realise that he played hoofball when they appointed him. Surely they wanted to continue the good work that mowbray and collins did.

IIRC, when Mixu became Hibs manager he said he wanted Hibs to play the passing game. For whatever reason, it didn't happen.

I reckon Hughes has already changed the mindset in the Hibs players to play the ball on the deck, something Mixu never did, even though he said that's the way he wanted the team to play when he first became manager.

matty_f
09-08-2009, 12:31 AM
IIRC, when Mixu became Hibs manager he said he wanted Hibs to play the passing game. For whatever reason, it didn't happen.

I reckon Hughes has already changed the mindset in the Hibs players to play the ball on the deck, something Mixu never did, even though he said that's the way he wanted the team to play when he first became manager.

I was pretty much just about to post what you've said there. Mixu talked a lot about passing the ball. We just weren't very adept at it under him.

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-08-2009, 12:39 AM
I was pretty much just about to post what you've said there. Mixu talked a lot about passing the ball. We just weren't very adept at it under him.

Looking back, it was obvious that Mixu had the belief of how he wanted the team to play, but he had NO IDEA how to do it!

I loved Mixu as a player, but he was not a manager.

John Hughes has what it takes to turn this club around. :agree:

matty_f
09-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Looking back, it was obvious that Mixu had the belief of how he wanted the team to play, but he had NO IDEA how to do it!

I loved Mixu as a player, but he was not a manager.

John Hughes has what it takes to turn this club around. :agree:

:agree: Have to agree with that, too!:thumbsup:

hibs0666
09-08-2009, 01:08 AM
On the plus side, we seem to be more 'stuffy' and everyone seems to be fighting for the cause. Wotherspoon looks a cracking player in the making.

Downside, we are missing Fletcher like no-one's business, and lack pace, width and the ability to create chances with any regularity.

I think we've learned that we have all the hallmarks of a mid-table team.

jgl07
09-08-2009, 01:14 AM
I agree with the point that if you take away either Riordan or Zemmama, Hibs look to carry very little goal threat. Maybe Danny Galbraith can grow into filling that gap.

The positive point that has copme out of the preseason is that Hibs have come up against some big, strong and physical teams an generally held their own. That is the type of team that Hibs struggled against in the SPL last season (apart from Hearts!).

Bolton are probably the masters of quality hoofball in the Premiership. Blackburn are Despite the critisisms of Ma Kalamby being a bombscare and the defence lacking height, they survived two onslaughts from Blackburn and Bolton with clean sheets.

In both cases Hibs seemed to grow stronger as the match went on. In both cases Hibs seemed to be better at the passing game than theur Premiership opponents, albeit without a cutting final ball.

Hibs did look limited up front especially with Riordan suspended for one match, and JJ and Byrne injured for both matches in Lancashire. Add them back plus possible Benji and that could be sufficient. I would put a centre half, a right back and an attacking midfielder ahead of a striker in the priority for signings.

basehibby
09-08-2009, 02:24 AM
I think we can expect to see a style of football which is a lot more easy on the eye although we still lack quality in depth as could be seen from the 1-0 defeat to Shamrock Rovers reserves.

The midfield looks a lot more balanced with the signings of Cregg and Mcbride but, with the exception of Zemama, lacks creativity. As someone else noted we could do with a bit more pace down the wings and a good attacking full back would not go amiss.

So - overall the outlook is quite encouraging and IF a couple of astute signings are made before the deadline then we could see a real push for Europe this season - fingers crossed!

half.time.draw.
09-08-2009, 10:29 AM

Areas for improvement:

Agree or disagree?

Absolutely agree with all your points, I have a dreadfull feeling that we will lose Zemmama before the end of the transfer window.

Expecting Rain
09-08-2009, 11:19 AM

Areas for improvement:

Agree or disagree?

Pretty much in agreement, though we still need a centre-half and right back in the meantime.

BEEJ
09-08-2009, 01:30 PM
On the plus side, we seem to be more 'stuffy' and everyone seems to be fighting for the cause.

Wotherspoon looks a cracking player in the making.
:agree: A big positive from pre-season.

zlatan
09-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Personally I still reckon we are pretty crap to watch and the new signings have done nothing to improve the team.

Nice to have Zemmama back though

This for me, I like the idea of the set up but I don't think we've got the right players for it, especially with Zemmama missing as yesterday it was all nice and pretty but it was in areas where 1 bad pass leads to a great opportunity for the opposition.

A CB and someone who can play on the right hand side of midfield is an absolute essential right now, then worry about a RB and another CB.

whiskyhibby
09-08-2009, 02:06 PM
When in possession of the ball, we need to be looking at advancing the play forward a good 20-30 yards asap - not a hoof, you understand, but all these triangles between - for example - Murray, Bamba and McBride are all very well and good, but they take plave 30 yards from OUR goal, not 30 yards away from THEIR goal, where possesion football is actually liable to lead to a chance.

A creative midfielder and another centre back are required and pronto - if (and I hope this isn't the case) we can only sign 1 more player, that it be someone capable of taking a share of the creative burden off Zemmamma.

Absolutely spot on, the number of backwards and sideways passes in our own half yesterday was poor, allowing Bolton to regroup, the ball needs to move through the midfield to the Strikers much, much quicker:dummytit::dummytit::dummytit::dummytit::du mmytit::duck::duck:

fife hfc
09-08-2009, 08:39 PM
We looked fairly toothless against Blackburn when we only had Nish up front, and without Zemmama today we showed that getting the ball into the forwards in dangerous areas is something that needs a bit of work.

That said, we look better organised, harder working, able to win and keep the ball... there are a lot more positives this year than there were last year.:agree:

I think there will be another couple of signings before the window closes, and so long as they do the trick then third is very much there for the taking.

That's what gives me confidence. We are far from the finished article and Yogi admits this (i'd be more worried if he felt everything was okay). He also says we need to sign players (another good sign that he is not totally happy). Remember we are very unlikely to play teams on a par with Bolton and Blackburn most weeks and I expect us to create more chances in the SPL.

It will take time to turn around the mess Mixu left but the signs are promising.

matty_f
09-08-2009, 08:52 PM
That's what gives me confidence. We are far from the finished article and Yogi admits this (i'd be more worried if he felt everything was okay). He also says we need to sign players (another good sign that he is not totally happy). Remember we are very unlikely to play teams on a par with Bolton and Blackburn most weeks and I expect us to create more chances in the SPL.

It will take time to turn around the mess Mixu left but the signs are promising.

:agree: I think that's important to remember as well. Yogi has said a few times now that it'll take time to get things the way he wants them, so it's important to keep our performances in some kind of perspective.

As it stands, I'm happy with what I've seen so far and I think it looks encouraging for the coming season.

hibsdaft
09-08-2009, 09:55 PM
hopefully we will manage to break down spl dross more easily than Premiership and strong Championship sides.

we managed it against Dunfermline

erin go bragh
09-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Absolutely agree with all your points, I have a dreadfull feeling that we will lose Zemmama before the end of the transfer window.
dont think he will leave until the and of the season as he says he owes us for letting him go on loan last season :cool2:

atticmonkey
09-08-2009, 11:28 PM

Areas for improvement:

Agree or disagree?

After watching Bolton game I have to agree with all of the above and i am really concerned about midfield/wing backs supporting the strikers. Zomer can get up with and past the frontline but cant think of anyone else capable of doing so. Nish tries hard but for me cant hold the ball up long enough to allow midfield to get forward, therefore a mobile and attack minded midfielder is essential. Also worried that if Deeks cant find the net regularly who will?