PDA

View Full Version : Kevin McBride

Long suffering
08-08-2009, 08:30 PM
I know the real stuff has not begun yet, but what are people's thoughts so far? I must say, I've been reasonably impressed.

Hibeescott
08-08-2009, 08:36 PM
I know the real stuff has not begun yet, but what are people's thoughts so far? I must say, I've been reasonably impressed.

I agree the real stuff hasn't started but I'd go as far as saying I have been very impressed.

Pedantic_Hibee
08-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Brian Hamilton on a motorbike. Fact.

WindyMiller
08-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Does he have a Web-site?

If not, I'll hold back my thoughts for now.

zlatan
08-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Barely noticed him or Cregg today.

Marty-Hibee
08-08-2009, 09:01 PM

Not neccessarily a bad thing in terms of a defensive minded midfielder.

Speedway
08-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Whilst not quite on a par with his performance on Wednesday, where I felt he was brave-r, he thought he was effective again today. The highlight being that 60 yard track back run he did to get a toe in on the ball and poke it back to Maka, foiling a strong Bolton attack.

hibbie02
08-08-2009, 09:24 PM

If you were watching on TV you wouldn't. I don't think the commentator had their names on his sheet. According to Europish we only had Rankin and Stevenson in midfield.:agree:

lyonhibs
08-08-2009, 09:26 PM
He was playing a few yards too deep today, almost like a 3rd centre back, and its true he doesn't offer too much in the way of cutting edge incisiveness, but I like his willingness to take the ball and his workrate.

Thus far, nowhere NEAR as much of a huddy as people had him penned down to be before he'd even played for the club :rolleyes:

GGTTH

Silversand
08-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Not neccessarily a bad thing in terms of a defensive minded midfielder.

Lots of "unseen" work?

:duck:

pedroorange1875
08-08-2009, 10:03 PM
a VERY poor mans Barry Ferguson and thats even more worrying

matty_f
09-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Whilst not quite on a par with his performance on Wednesday, where I felt he was brave-r, he thought he was effective again today. The highlight being that 60 yard track back run he did to get a toe in on the ball and poke it back to Maka, foiling a strong Bolton attack.

So far, I've liked what I've seen. Shows a real willingness to take the ball, generally finds a Hibs player with his passing, good tackler and hard working.

I think he'll be an important player this season.:agree:

Petrie's Tache
09-08-2009, 07:21 AM
So far, I've liked what I've seen. Shows a real willingness to take the ball, generally finds a Hibs player with his passing, good tackler and hard working.

I think he'll be an important player this season.:agree:

Agreed Matty, thisnk so far he has shown he is the better player of him and Cregg, that is not the way I would have thought it pan out before they came. I think Cregg will come good however.

J-C
09-08-2009, 08:40 AM
If you were watching on TV you wouldn't. I don't think the commentator had their names on his sheet. According to Europish we only had Rankin and Stevenson in midfield.:agree:

The commentators were very Bolton biased, never gave Hibs credit for any decent work done, it was Bolton this and Bolton that. Couldn't even get Maka or Riordan's names right (Kalambuy and Reardon).

lucky
09-08-2009, 08:42 AM
I think he has been Hibs best player pre-season after Zemama. He is always looking for the ball and has decent contribution.

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2009, 09:35 AM
I think he looks good. Always available, comfortable on the ball and rarely gives it away. I think we need a new centre-half to allow Bamba to move into midfield and I think it'd be Cregg (at the moment) who'll have to make way.

Gmack7
09-08-2009, 10:06 AM
does anyone have Mcbrides goalscoring stats,imo we need much more from our midfielders than last season and apart from zemamma i dont see anyone in the current squad chipping in with too many

Badge
09-08-2009, 10:17 AM

Thought he had a good game yesterday. Works hard and always wants the ball. Tries to play it to feet and keep possession.

Expecting Rain
09-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Lat season one of my mates was saying that the days of defensive midfielders charging around and lunging into tackles is gone and that closing space is a better alternative, i now agree with him, especially given the poor standard of refereeing, so far McBride has done well taking a lot of responsibility on the pitch, giving us a better shape and balance.

Hibs90
09-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Been impressed. Thought he was MOTM against Blackburn and was alright yesterday.

Can easily go missing though.

The_Horde
09-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Think he's done well from what i've seen so far, he has a pretty easy job though.

Andy74
09-08-2009, 05:20 PM
The first player i've seen since Boozy that'll take the ball off the centre halfs and use it. I've been quite impressed with him so far.

col02
09-08-2009, 05:49 PM
The first player i've seen since Boozy that'll take the ball off the centre halfs and use it. I've been quite impressed with him so far.

Noticed him a couple times yesterday spray the ball out wide left to Murray and at other times take the ball in a tight position and play it si mple just to keep possession. Early signs are good imho.

Wellfan1984
09-08-2009, 06:07 PM
a VERY poor mans Barry Ferguson and thats even more worrying

Actually he's a very poor mans Brian Kerr...

fife hfc
09-08-2009, 07:21 PM

:bye:

been impressed with him so far. keeps it simple, covers for other players and generally just keeps the ball moving. we failed to do the simple things last season and by doing this makes us look better already.

Pedantic_Hibee
09-08-2009, 07:26 PM
We kept two clean sheets against Premier League opposition. That to me suggests that our defensive midfielder played his part.

And I know it's a joke thing on here, but that type of unseen work is required. Much like a referee, when you don't mention them throughout the game, you know they've done well and stuck to their task.

Scorrie
09-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Been really impressed with McBride. Always makes himself available and gives an "out" to his defence. Some of his tracking back yesterday has very impressive. Could turn out to be a cracking signing.

hibb1
09-08-2009, 07:47 PM
I work with 3 Falkirk fans and an alleged Falkirk legend(he wisnae that good that i remember) :greengrin and they took great pleasure in telling me how pash he is..Ive since had great pleasure telling them that he's having a blinder noo he's at a gid club :thumbsup:..iv'e been pleasently surprised so far a gid link between defence and attack.

Silver Fox
09-08-2009, 08:35 PM
I thought he did well against Bolton but surprised no one mentioned the game against PNE, when he was subbed early on. it wasn't his best. :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2009, 08:37 PM
I thought he did well against Bolton but surprised no one mentioned the game against PNE, when he was subbed early on. it wasn't his best. :agree:

Was he not subbed due to injury though?

Spike Mandela
09-08-2009, 08:39 PM
How easily pleased we have become. Brainwashed with years of mediocrity.

Westie1875
09-08-2009, 08:44 PM

He was injured.

sesoim
10-08-2009, 02:18 PM
does anyone have Mcbrides goalscoring stats,imo we need much more from our midfielders than last season and apart from zemamma i dont see anyone in the current squad chipping in with too many

We should have signed a left back and put Murray in midfield, because at least he can score goals when he plays there.

I think we are going to seriously struggle to score goals this season. There's nothing more frustrating than watching a team play nice neat football up to the box and then lose it, over and over again. I'm worried THAT team will be us, at least until Hughes catches up with the what is needed (and Petrie gives him the money).

Speedway
10-08-2009, 02:33 PM
How easily pleased we have become. Brainwashed with years of mediocrity.

It's all relative. Compared to certain clubs, mediocre is all we've ever had. Compared to others, they'd kill for our mediocrity.

--------
10-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Was he not subbed due to injury though?

Yup.

And it was after that (according to my sources, which I consider highly dependable) that the roof fell in.

Four-man midfield, please - one to do the grunt-work, one to kick 'em, and two to push forward and support the strikers.

But the great thing is NOT TO GIVE THE BALL AWAY, which McBride according to all accounts tends not to do.

Moderately hopeful of the lad. :agree:

Hibs07p
10-08-2009, 04:06 PM

And you my friend, are a poor imitation of his brother, Juan. :wink:

Jack
10-08-2009, 05:22 PM

I looked them up ... he doesn't have any (not sure if it should be a :faf:, a :duck:, or a :grr:, or a :boo hoo:, :rolleyes: maybe).

Played 77 scored nil, zero, nada, zippo league goals!

3 Assists though :applause: :applause: :applause:

lyonhibs
10-08-2009, 05:29 PM
I looked them up ... he doesn't have any (not sure if it should be a :faf:, a :duck:, or a :grr:, or a :boo hoo:, :rolleyes: maybe).

Not that this statistic has any bearing whatsoever on his ability to play his alloted role in Yogi's team, that of protecting the back 4, covering a lot of space and providing a link between the back 4 and the more skillful players (and Colin Nish) higher up the pitch.

Dashing Bob S
10-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Been very disappointed in McBride as I had marked him out for the whipping boy role, and i'll have to find someone else now. He was great against Blackburn and decent against Bolton.

Austinho
10-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Not that this statistic has any bearing whatsoever on his ability to play his alloted role in Yogi's team, that of protecting the back 4, covering a lot of space and providing a link between the back 4 and the more skillful players (and Colin Nish) higher up the pitch.Exactly — Claude Makelele has only scored twice in his last 300 appearances, and he did his job pretty effectively.

Golden Bear
10-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Not that this statistic has any bearing whatsoever on his ability to play his alloted role in Yogi's team, that of protecting the back 4, covering a lot of space and providing a link between the back 4 and the more skillful players (and Colin Nish) higher up the pitch.

:greengrin

Like it!

Sir David Gray
10-08-2009, 05:53 PM
I thought he played very well against Blackburn. I can't remember him giving the ball away at all during that match.

Golden Bear
10-08-2009, 06:17 PM
I thought he played very well against Blackburn. I can't remember him giving the ball away at all during that match.

:agree:

From what we've seen of Mcbride so far, it looks like the Bairns fans were well off the mark in their assessment of his abilities.

Cocaine&Caviar
10-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Assuming Bamba stays at Cb he will get a fair amount of games, however if a new CB is brought in, Bamba will immediately take his place in the team due to his dominance in midfield...

Danderhall Hibs
10-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Assuming Bamba stays at Cb he will get a fair amount of games, however if a new CB is brought in, Bamba will immediately take his place in the team due to his dominance in midfield...

When a new centre half comes in :pray: I think Bamba will take Cregg's place in midfield. Based on pre-season form.

Cocaine&Caviar
10-08-2009, 07:30 PM
If based on pre season form, then yeah, id agree. However, from what i have read and seen so far Cregg offers more of a box to box role than McBride who is more of a sitter, the latter is the role that Bamba performed so well last year, and therefore McBride would be the one to be sacraficed due to the lack of creativity and attack from midfield with Bamba and McBride together...

Wellfan1984
10-08-2009, 08:03 PM

I guess you didn't add in his Motherwell or Darlington stats when looking up those? If you did you need to get better statto book.

:agree:

From what we've seen of Mcbride so far, it looks like the Bairns fans were well off the mark in their assessment of his abilities.

You mean Falkirk, Darlington and Motherwell fans assessment of him?

brownlies bits
10-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Well said lyonhibs :top markshe's there to do a job and does it well, better than the garbage last year where we had hogg and jones taking the ball passing to each other and then launching it up to Nish (offside again). Quite refreshing this new fangled passing game.:thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
11-08-2009, 10:06 AM
I guess you didn't add in his Motherwell or Darlington stats when looking up those? If you did you need to get better statto book.

You mean Falkirk, Darlington and Motherwell fans assessment of him?

I'm good friends with two Falkirk fans and one Motherwell supporter. They are fine chaps who know their football, and all are in total accord that McBride just isn't very good. I respect the views of other supporters who watch a player week in, week out. In my experience they rarely get it wrong, unless they are muppets with some sort of agenda, which applies to none of those lads.

Some players however, find a club that they settle into, and it's just right for them and thus they flourish. It's the Hartley at Tynecastle syndrome. I'm hoping that this is the case with McBride and he's found his niche at Hibs. Of course, it could all be a flash in the pan, but the early signs have been encouraging.

Wellfan1984
11-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Very true. When McBride was on loan from Celtic at us he was fantastic. He then got a horrific injury and when he came back he was awful for us. I don't know if it was fear or what, but you don't just lose your ability. Saying that, according to my Falkirk mate he was excellent at the start of last season but faded badly.

Whenever I spoke to McBride he was always good for it. Never moaned and got on with it, and was treated badly by some sections of the 'Well support. I hope he does go on to do well for you, just not enough to be a stand out of course :D

Aldo
11-08-2009, 10:44 AM
TBH i dont care if he was crap at other teams as long as he goes about his job on the pitch at ER. Signs have shown he is not scared to put himself about and has a willingness to want the ball.

For me giving his all on the park when he pulls on that jersey and playing a part in the team will do for me at the moment.

Its just BAH HUMBUG from the Falkirk fans IMHO.

allyhibee
11-08-2009, 10:46 AM

He gave the ball away near the end which gave Jason Roberts a clear run in on goal. Although that was about it. I have been pretty impressed so far by his performances bar a few reservations. His positioning right in front of the back 4 seems a little too deep and the opposition have bypassed him by getting the ball direct to their strikers before he can get in the face of the midfield as he is too far back from the play. However in possession he makes himself available for the pass as he is deep enough to find extra space. I fear because of his position(he was often making passes from behind the back two against blackburn) any errors will be more visible to the support and some folk may get on his back pretty quick.

Dashing Bob S
11-08-2009, 10:52 AM
He gave the ball away near the end which gave Jason Roberts a clear run in on goal. Although that was about it. I have been pretty impressed so far by his performances bar a few reservations. His positioning right in front of the back 4 seems a little too deep and the opposition have bypassed him by getting the ball direct to their strikers before he can get in the face of the midfield as he is too far back from the play. However in possession he makes himself available for the pass as he is deep enough to find extra space. I fear because of his position(he was often making passes from behind the back two against blackburn) any errors will be more visible to the support and some folk may get on his back pretty quick.

I think that's the big danger, Ally. Because he plays in that deep position, any errors he makes will be costly. But it seems Yogi prefers him to Bamba in the 'Bamba role' of defensive midfield in front of the back four.

Andy74
11-08-2009, 11:02 AM
I think that's the big danger, Ally. Because he plays in that deep position, any errors he makes will be costly. But it seems Yogi prefers him to Bamba in the 'Bamba role' of defensive midfield in front of the back four.

I don't really like this 'defensive midfield' title - it maybe applied to Bamba who was there to sit in and tackle but for the likes of McBride and Boozy who played the deeper role it's not really about being a defensive player.

Yes, sure, you are providing a bit of cover when the opposition have the ball but the main focus for the role is of getting on the ball and keeping posession and starting moves.

I think terming them defensive midfield means people expect them to be thundering about tackling people and that's about it.

I also don't think Hughes would really want Bamba playing in there as he doesn't make himself quite so available and his use of the ball is not as good.

Dashing Bob S
11-08-2009, 11:09 AM
I don't really like this 'defensive midfield' title - it maybe applied to Bamba who was there to sit in and tackle but for the likes of McBride and Boozy who played the deeper role it's not really about being a defensive player.

Yes, sure, you are providing a bit of cover when the opposition have the ball but the main focus for the role is of getting on the ball and keeping posession and starting moves.

I think terming them defensive midfield means people expect them to be thundering about tackling people and that's about it.

I also don't think Hughes would really want Bamba playing in there as he doesn't make himself quite so available and his use of the ball is not as good.

Yes, I agree, perhaps not the best term too describe McBride's role. He tends to intercept by anticipation rather than Bamabesque big tackles and his game is more suited to keeping possession, starting the moves and making himself available for the passes.

It was a tough shift for our smaller midfielders against the giants in Lancashire and while they didn't create loads, they held the ball well and hopefully it's going to stand us good stead in the SPL.

in-me-pocket
11-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Yes, I agree, perhaps not the best term too describe McBride's role. He tends to intercept by anticipation rather than Bamabesque big tackles and his game is more suited to keeping possession, starting the moves and making himself available for the passes.

It was a tough shift for our smaller midfielders against the giants in Lancashire and while they didn't create loads, they held the ball well and hopefully it's going to stand us good stead in the SPL.

erm, I think you (and other people on this thread) are actually getting Cregg and McBride mixed up.
The more I read this thread the more convinced I am.
Once they put names on the shirts, you'll get it right.

Andy74
11-08-2009, 12:12 PM
erm, I think you (and other people on this thread) are actually getting Cregg and McBride mixed up.
The more I read this thread the more convinced I am.
Once they put names on the shirts, you'll get it right.

Eh? MCBride has been the deeper lying player and the one linking all the play up. Cregg has been a bit more advanced.

I thought Cregg would have been the better of the two but McBride, for me, has been far more involved.

KeithTheHibby
11-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Eh? MCBride has been the deeper lying player and the one linking all the play up. Cregg has been a bit more advanced.

I thought Cregg would have been the better of the two but McBride, for me, has been far more involved.

Have to agree Andy - in fact I would perhaps even question what Cregg brings to the team especially seeing as we have Rankin doing a similiar role.

Dashing Bob S
11-08-2009, 01:35 PM

Agree totally. I was expecting more from Cregg and less from McBride and thought I actually had got them mixed up as McBride has been the better of the two by some distance.