PDA

View Full Version : John Burridge

Winston Ingram
07-08-2009, 05:48 PM
For those who remember him what was your opinion on him?

I remember him being fairly decent up til the turn of the year in his 1st season but after that I thought he was mince. He seemed to have a particular talent which involved him making saves after the ball had comfortably crossed the line

Mag7
07-08-2009, 06:40 PM
If you compare him with the likes of Goram and Leighton, he wasn't in their class but he was a decent keeper in comparison with the majority of those we've had in the last 10 years. He also brought a bit of presence to the side at a time when it was much needed and I'll always remember him fondly.

heretoday
07-08-2009, 06:48 PM
He was a legend!

Ants
07-08-2009, 07:10 PM
As a goalie (his job) he was average.
As a goalie with charisma (not his job) he excelled.

Eccentric he was, but he was 110% behind Hibs in his job.

Jack
07-08-2009, 07:19 PM
He was a Hibs star, not a legend, but will be held in the collective auld fart fans memories with much fondness.

My wish would be that he remembers us in the same way.

stubru59
07-08-2009, 07:22 PM
If the last five years is anything to go by he was world class.

erin go bragh
07-08-2009, 07:23 PM
how many cups did goram and leighton win with us
semifinal against rangers in the tunnel budgie says to mcoist
see you mcoist you couldnie cut it at sunderland and as for you hately you come near my goals and your getting it [ flucking brilliant]:top marks

Davy Mac
07-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Was there not a story about 'Budgie' winding Mark Hately up at ER during the game if he came near him in the box?

I'll break you back or something to that effect...........:greengrin

stanton_4
07-08-2009, 07:47 PM
I remember Shearer telling a story of when he was a young lad at Southampton and came up against Budgie in training. Shearer had gone into a 50-50 with him and came off a little the worse for wear. Budgie pulled him to one side and said "Son... when you go one on one with a goalie, go in hard cos that's what he'll be expecting... so don't disappoint him!"
I liked Budgie. Never the best keeper in the world but certainly a true character.

Dibben
07-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Budgie was a decent keeper for us - until the rules changed and keepers couldn't pick up pass backs anymore! Think that really affected him as he'd been playing for 20 odd years then had his job made infinately harder.

He wasn't the same after that!!

Seemed to be a great guy to have the around the dressing room though!

BH.

sesoim
07-08-2009, 10:46 PM
For those who remember him what was your opinion on him?

I remember him being fairly decent up til the turn of the year in his 1st season but after that I thought he was mince. He seemed to have a particular talent which involved him making saves after the ball had comfortably crossed the line

I agree with you - he was ok at first, and we were on such a good run at that time that I think we were all happy enough to ignore the odd idiosynchracies. But as our form dipped, his mistakes started to become more noticeable.

He also had this annoying habit of warming up near the fans, with cones positioned just in front of the West Stand. I didn't enjoy having to dodge all the balls he missed, especially while eating my McDonalds.

Winston Ingram
07-08-2009, 11:01 PM
If the last five years is anything to go by he was world class.

Fair point:agree:

Winston Ingram
07-08-2009, 11:03 PM
how many cups did goram and leighton win with us
semifinal against rangers in the tunnel budgie says to mcoist
see you mcoist you couldnie cut it at sunderland and as for you hately you come near my goals and your getting it [ flucking brilliant]:top marks

Andy McNeil won more cups than Goram & Leighton did with us :duck:

--------
07-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Andy McNeil won more cups than Goram & Leighton did with us :duck:

That's right. There's been some right duffers won medals because their team-mates have carried them, and there's been some top-class players NOT won cups because of circumstances or the shortcomings of their team-mates.

But duffers don't win medals playing as regular members of a cup team - they win them because of a fortuitous substitution in the Final, or perhaps a late injury to the first-choice letting them in to play the one decent game of their careers.

Andy and John both deserved their medals because no goalkeeper plays through a series of Cup-ties as they did, reaching the Final and making influential saves on the way as they did, without contributing significantly to the success of the team as a whole.

Budgie wasn't the greatest keeper I've seen at Hibs. He wasn't a Goram or a leighton or a Rough. He was actually a Bampot Mark One (First Class), and therefore exactly what we were needing after the troubles and travails of the previous two years.

We had narrowly avoided extinction (at least that's how it felt at the time) and to make matters worse had lost Andy Goram to Rangers (at the bank's insistence) to help balance the books. Budgie's 'presence' lifted everyone.

Telling McCoist he 'couldn't cut it' at Sunderland (remember Budgie came to us from Newcastle), or warning Hateley to stay away from his goal 'or I'll break yer back' was his way of preventing the rest of the team from giving Rangers too much respect on the night.

He wasn't the greatest keeper we've ever had. But he IS a legend, not least for THAT training session.

According to my sources, Alex Miller had told him off for turning up without his boots. "Don't forget your boots tomorrow,' Budgie was told.

So Budgie turned up with his boots - and nothing else. No training gear, no track-suit, nothing. So Miller (who had a sense of humour even if it was sometimes hard to detect) made him train in the gear he had - a pair of football boots.

From the account I received some years ago, I can say that those who (for some arcane reason best known to themselves) affect to prefer bald or hairless goalkeepers would have been deeply dissatisfied with Budgie.

According to my source (HP Brown & Spicy) Budgie was a very hirsute custodian of the goalmouth indeed.

Which was just as well, since the weather that day was far from tropical down in Sunny Leith.

And I think it's fair to say that he himself looks back on that Skol Cup win as one of the better memories he has of his time in football.

As Jack puts so beautifully:

"He was a Hibs star, not a legend, but will be held in the collective auld fart fans memories with much fondness. My wish would be that he remembers us in the same way."

This old fart would drink sincerely and deeply to that, and ot Budgie.

Budgie's welcome back any time, in my book.

bighairyfaeleith
08-08-2009, 04:12 AM
I agree with you - he was ok at first, and we were on such a good run at that time that I think we were all happy enough to ignore the odd idiosynchracies. But as our form dipped, his mistakes started to become more noticeable.

He also had this annoying habit of warming up near the fans, with cones positioned just in front of the West Stand. I didn't enjoy having to dodge all the balls he missed, especially while eating my McDonalds.

Is that you christian??????:wink:

bighairyfaeleith
08-08-2009, 04:14 AM
He was a decent goalie and a great character. The sort of guy that would make a lot of the youngsters at the club wise up pretty quick I reckon.

Wilson
08-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Where is the 'mad as a box of frogs' option?

Bostonhibby
08-08-2009, 07:53 AM
He had presence and instilled a confidence that ran through the team.

"Oi Hateley, come in this box again and I'll break your back":greengrin

Bostonhibby
08-08-2009, 07:58 AM
That's right. There's been some right duffers won medals because their team-mates have carried them, and there's been some top-class players NOT won cups because of circumstances or the shortcomings of their team-mates.

But duffers don't win medals playing as regular members of a cup team - they win them because of a fortuitous substitution in the Final, or perhaps a late injury to the first-choice letting them in to play the one decent game of their careers.

Andy and John both deserved their medals because no goalkeeper plays through a series of Cup-ties as they did, reaching the Final and making influential saves on the way as they did, without contributing significantly to the success of the team as a whole.

Budgie wasn't the greatest keeper I've seen at Hibs. He wasn't a Goram or a leighton or a Rough. He was actually a Bampot Mark One (First Class), and therefore exactly what we were needing after the troubles and travails of the previous two years.

We had narrowly avoided extinction (at least that's how it felt at the time) and to make matters worse had lost Andy Goram to Rangers (at the bank's insistence) to help balance the books. Budgie's 'presence' lifted everyone.

Telling McCoist he 'couldn't cut it' at Sunderland (remember Budgie came to us from Newcastle), or warning Hateley to stay away from his goal 'or I'll break yer back' was his way of preventing the rest of the team from giving Rangers too much respect on the night.

He wasn't the greatest keeper we've ever had. But he IS a legend, not least for THAT training session.

According to my sources, Alex Miller had told him off for turning up without his boots. "Don't forget your boots tomorrow,' Budgie was told.

So Budgie turned up with his boots - and nothing else. No training gear, no track-suit, nothing. So Miller (who had a sense of humour even if it was sometimes hard to detect) made him train in the gear he had - a pair of football boots.

From the account I received some years ago, I can say that those who (for some arcane reason best known to themselves) affect to prefer bald or hairless goalkeepers would have been deeply dissatisfied with Budgie.

According to my source (HP Brown & Spicy) Budgie was a very hirsute custodian of the goalmouth indeed.

Which was just as well, since the weather that day was far from tropical down in Sunny Leith.

And I think it's fair to say that he himself looks back on that Skol Cup win as one of the better memories he has of his time in football.

As Jack puts so beautifully:

"He was a Hibs star, not a legend, but will be held in the collective auld fart fans memories with much fondness. My wish would be that he remembers us in the same way."

This old fart would drink sincerely and deeply to that, and ot Budgie.

Budgie's welcome back any time, in my book.

Cracking post, agree every word, I think the phrase cometh the hour cometh the man applies, given what we had just gone through, a breath of fresh air to the club, nutcase but.............