PDA

View Full Version : pre season transfer activity

Spike Mandela
07-08-2009, 03:36 PM
1 week to go till the League kicks off so far we have signed Cregg, McBride, Galbraith and Stack. (not very inspiring)

With our captain and prize asset striker sold amongst others shifted,is this the weakest pre-season activity in many a long year??

Are we a better or worse team than last year?:confused:

Woody1985
07-08-2009, 03:39 PM
:yawn:

Sorry but :yawn:

smurf
07-08-2009, 03:39 PM
No doubt that as things stand we're weaker. I doubt anyone could seriously suggest anything contrary to this (although of course some will!!)

The question is though whether we start the season similar or indeed finish the month similar.

I really think we're 4 players short. A right back, central defender, central midfielder and forward with pace.

** Oh and i think this is a very reasonable and decent topic for debate. It's asking a legitimate question. And responses such as the one above are really pathetic in my humble opinion. **

ballengeich
07-08-2009, 03:40 PM
The signings two seasons ago were far worse.

Spike Mandela
07-08-2009, 03:43 PM

Sorry but :yawn:

Why respond then:dummytit:

Phil D. Rolls
07-08-2009, 03:43 PM
1 week to go till the League kicks off so far we have signed Cregg, McBride, Galbraith and Stack. (not very inspiring)

With our captain and prize asset striker sold amongst others shifted,is this the weakest pre-season activity in many a long year??

If we don't sign anyone else before the window closes, we are undoubtedly a worse team.

Richard Scott
07-08-2009, 03:45 PM
If we don't sign anyone else before the window closes, we are undoubtedly a worse team.

:agree:

A decent striker is surely the target now?

EskbankHibby
07-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Better team with worse players.

smurf
07-08-2009, 03:46 PM
The signings two seasons ago were far worse.

I think the signings thus far are good ones. They'll do well for us. However, i just don't see only their arrival taking us up to the next level. We need others....

Woody1985
07-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Why respond then:dummytit:

There must have been 3 threads a day for the last 3 weeks with the exact same thing.

heretoday
07-08-2009, 03:48 PM
It's not an inspiring transfer window so far but who's out there to sign? And do Hibs have scouts or contacts with imagination who can come up with names?

Spike Mandela
07-08-2009, 03:51 PM
There must have been 3 threads a day for the last 3 weeks with the exact same thing.

Better to ignore the thread than be a smart ass though surely:confused:

If there is other threads I'm sure the admins wil merge. Thanks for your input now away to yer bed you sound tired:bitchy:

Woody1985
07-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Better to ignore the thread than be a smart ass though surely:confused:

If there is other threads I'm sure the admins wil merge. Thanks for your input now away to yer bed you sound tired:bitchy:

Depends what mood I'm in :greengrin

Since I'm tired I thought I wouldn't ignore it. :greengrin

It wasn't specifically at you but the same thing comes up day after day after day and I find it gets boring and repetative.

Anywhoo, I won't comment on this one again. Away to bed. :LOL:

ballengeich
07-08-2009, 03:55 PM
It's not an inspiring transfer window so far but who's out there to sign? And do Hibs have scouts or contacts with imagination who can come up with names?

A good point. One of TM's strengths was bringing in players we hadn't heard of who turned out well for us. His successors haven't matched this.

fife hfc
07-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Better team with worse players.

:agree: We all agree we need players but we do look better organised and play to a system so we are improved in some areas but a work in progress in others. I have no doubt we will sign at least a couple of players before the end of August.

MrSmith
07-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Definitely disappointed with the lack of activity but then again I'm used to being disappointed with hibs lack of transfer activity!

Pre-season is always boring for us! Remember the TM years? barely did anything because we were reducing the debt!.....??

wazoo1875
07-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Definitely disappointed with the lack of activity but then again I'm used to being disappointed with hibs lack of transfer activity!

Pre-season is always boring for us! Remember the TM years? barely did anything because we were reducing the debt!.....??
I too am a bit miffed at the apparant lack of activity so far , however we have brought in 4 with i would hope atleast another 2 to come . Does anyone know if any other SPL clubs have brought in as many . I think the whole summer has been very quiet with the exception of Eastlands and the Bernabeau.

Onceinawhile
07-08-2009, 04:42 PM
we aren't too much worse off but we are worse off.

GK - about the same

RB - Kevin Mcann's return gives us competition, - slightly stronger
CB - undoubtedly weaker for the loss of Jones - Much weaker
LB - Same as last year, but with a years extra experience - slightly stronger

RM - Do we actually have anyone to play here??? - same as last year
CM - Keenan, Cropley, Chisolm out, Zouma back, Cregg + Mcbride in - Stronger
LM - AOB out Galbraith in - Stronger

CF - Fletch out, no one in - Much weaker

Management - far more experienced and astute - Stronger

matty_f
07-08-2009, 04:53 PM
I don't think many folk would argue that by losing Fletcher and Jones the side looks weaker :agree:

In saying that though, we have Zemmama back, and with Cregg and McBride in the midfield we look stronger in that area.

Early impressions of Galbraith have him as an improvement on O'Brian - already scored more, and set up more than AOB did his whole time with Hibs!

Haven't seen Stack in action yet, but hopefully he's been brought in to improve the goalkeeper position.

That gives us :-

GK - At worst the same as last season, depending on Stack - better.
Full backs - Same as last season, except McCann is back and is probably a better option than DVZ - Same/Better
Central defence - without Jones we are undoubtedly weaker.
RM - Zemmama is back, meaning Ranks doesn't have to play on his weaker side. - Better
LM - Galbraith for AOB, as stated above - Better.
Central Mid - Still a few good players available for the central positions - McBride, Cregg, Murray, Thicot, Stevenson, and Rankin. We've lost Keenan and Chisolm. - Better
Forwards - kept our top scorer, and lost Fletcher and Campbell. Benji is back giving us a forward line to pick from Johannson, Nish, Riordan, Benji, and Byrne. - weaker on the face of it, but potentially better.

If I was the manager, I'd be looking for at least one full back, and a centre-half as a priority for the season starting.:agree:

BEEJ
07-08-2009, 05:14 PM
We're about to enter the last three weeks of the transfer window. Things usually start to pick up for Hibs on summer transfer activity at this stage.

Al_Bundy
07-08-2009, 05:29 PM

As you say we have lost our captain and prize asset. Our squad seems to be a bit weaker but only because i don't feel we can judge players properly during pre season. I believe several games into a competitive season will be when we can really see what the new guys are like. I agree with the quote below though. We now play to a well organised system that i feel improves us as a team.

Is it possible to have a weaker squad but a better team?! :confused:

:agree: We all agree we need players but we do look better organised and play to a system so we are improved in some areas but a work in progress in others. I have no doubt we will sign at least a couple of players before the end of August.

Mibbes Aye
07-08-2009, 05:46 PM
We're about to enter the last three weeks of the transfer window. Things usually start to pick up for Hibs on summer transfer activity at this stage.

:agree: Nature of transfer windows is that you won't get some of your targets until the end.

So far we've got a keeper and we've strengthened the midfield considerably, which almost everyone felt was important.

We've lost Fletcher, a great player, but in some ways it simplifies things re how we line up. Would rather we still had him but we kept him for longer than most thought and did well on the deal. If Hughes can do a job with Benji then we don't need to prioritise a striker IMO.

We've lost Jones. An integral part of what has actually been a good Hibs defence over the last few years. Again, there's the opportunity there though - his strengths were evident but he's not what you would consider a natural Hughes player and he would probably be looking for something different.

Question marks around the full-backs. I think that in some respects we are okay in that we have players on both flanks who are competent enough defenders at SPL level. Hughes seems to favour playing them high though and I'm not convinced yet that it's a natural game for our present picks.

So, CH and maybe FB for me as priority areas.

As to whether we are stronger or weaker - if we retained Mixu's system then we are probably weaker for losing Fletch and Jones. If we are playing Hughes' system then I think we are probably stronger, given the players we have brought in, with the caveat that the defence may need attention.

sesoim
07-08-2009, 08:06 PM
we aren't too much worse off but we are worse off.

GK - about the same

RB - Kevin Mcann's return gives us competition, - slightly stronger
CB - undoubtedly weaker for the loss of Jones - Much weaker
LB - Same as last year, but with a years extra experience - slightly stronger

RM - Do we actually have anyone to play here??? - same as last year
CM - Keenan, Cropley, Chisolm out, Zouma back, Cregg + Mcbride in - Stronger
LM - AOB out Galbraith in - Stronger

CF - Fletch out, no one in - Much weaker

Management - far more experienced and astute - Stronger

I haven't seen Stack, but I would imagine he's better than Maka (surely?) and worse than Szamo. Our defence is worse, our midfield is probably (very) slight better, and we are weaker up front, but I actually think we will score more goals WITHOUT Fletcher, as he was hardly prolific.

I'd be a lot happier if we offloaded Maka and signed another keeper, got a decent CB in and signed a LB so Murray can play in midfield.

And a Sproule clone on the right wing would be nice!

Speedway
07-08-2009, 08:42 PM
I think what we need to do is highlight areas of weakness in the club that we can focus on to feed our negativity. We mustn't get to the stage where praise for the work put in by the club reaches a parity with the critique.

We owe it to ourselves to ensure the critique massively outweighs any positives and seek discussions on such issues. We must not allow ourselves to seek out any positives however, as the potential damage to our collective psyche is too horrendous to imagine.

I personally believe that Yogi's got no money to strengthen the squad and couldn't give a toss anyway. I think he's sat on his arsenal doing nothing while Petrie has pocketed the Jones/Fletch transfer cash (who are now referred to as prize assets where in October and March respectively, were lilly livered/one footed disgraces)

I think Petrie is setting up the club for sale and just when the new owner (Romanov) buys the club, he'll bounce the cheque and burn down ER.

FACT.

JimBHibees
07-08-2009, 08:48 PM

Yep there will be more movement nearer the end of the window when the options are assessed and we look like a good move.

falkirk_cabbage
07-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Very difficult to pick up better players when the financial situation is as bad as it is in Scottish Football. Although we may look similar to last year I think we are slightly stronger as Yogi plays a system that gets the best out of our players
I think it is also worth looking at other teams and Aberdeen an Motherwell have already demonstrated that they are probably weaker than last year and I have seen nothing from any other team outside the old firm that should frighten us.

sunshine1875
07-08-2009, 09:09 PM

Defintely a better team. Last year we had poor manager and some shocking displays by so-called players (O'brien, Chisholm, Keenan, DVZ etc). We also had two goalkeepers that were prone to ****-ups.

This year we have a manager, who appears to know how to play football and four players coming in that are better than the above four (Galbraith, McBride, Cregg and McCann). Hopefully, Stack will help to solve the goalkeeping problem.

Yes, we have lost two good players. However, Fletcher did not do much in some games when we needed him (how many 1-on-1s did he miss) and Jones was prone to a few daft moments. A loss, but not the death of the team.

I am a firm believer that a team is only as good as its weakest player and the level of our weakest player has increased. I am convinced that in a years time, it will improve further through a combination of the young players coming through and the right purchases by Hughes.

erin go bragh
07-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Defintely a better team. Last year we had poor manager and some shocking displays by so-called players (O'brien, Chisholm, Keenan, DVZ etc). We also had two goalkeepers that were prone to ****-ups.

This year we have a manager, who appears to know how to play football and four players coming in that are better than the above four (Galbraith, McBride, Cregg and McCann). Hopefully, Stack will help to solve the goalkeeping problem.

Yes, we have lost two good players. However, Fletcher did not do much in some games when we needed him (how many 1-on-1s did he miss) and Jones was prone to a few daft moments. A loss, but not the death of the team.

I am a firm believer that a team is only as good as its weakest player and the level of our weakest player has increased. I am convinced that in a years time, it will improve further through a combination of the young players coming through and the right purchases by Hughes.
agree 100% plus back to playing the proper way i can see this being a great season [we live in hope] gg:wink:

Dr_Regal
07-08-2009, 10:35 PM

Top Post!!

Pretty excited about the young guys coming up as i imagine JH is.

Can still see Barr coming closer to deadline day. Possibly a Right-back and a striker on loan for a season would be decent.

--------
07-08-2009, 10:51 PM
I think what we need to do is highlight areas of weakness in the club that we can focus on to feed our negativity. We mustn't get to the stage where praise for the work put in by the club reaches a parity with the critique.

We owe it to ourselves to ensure the critique massively outweighs any positives and seek discussions on such issues. We must not allow ourselves to seek out any positives however, as the potential damage to our collective psyche is too horrendous to imagine.

I personally believe that Yogi's got no money to strengthen the squad and couldn't give a toss anyway. I think he's sat on his arsenal doing nothing while Petrie has pocketed the Jones/Fletch transfer cash (who are now referred to as prize assets where in October and March respectively, were lilly livered/one footed disgraces)

I think Petrie is setting up the club for sale and just when the new owner (Romanov) buys the club, he'll bounce the cheque and burn down ER.

FACT.

A thoroughly astute summation of the situation, sir. :wink:

It is imperative that at no time should we allow the slightest glimmer of optimism to mar the otherwise unblemished surface of depression and despair so lovingly nurtured by so many of our fellow supporters.

This is by far the worst close season in my memory.

Galbraith - an injury-prone reject from Man Utd reserves.

McBride - Not Hibs Class. Signed from The Team That Just Missed Relegation.

Cregg - see McBride.

Stack - he's had more clubs than Nick Faldo, a player of appallingly violent tenndencies (see YouTube clip), and not nearly as good as the late lamented Szamotulski. Moreover, he ISN'T BALD!!!!

McCann won't be good enough. No Hibs right-back in living memory has recovered from serious injury to be as good as he was before (see Duncan, R. and Brownlie, J. among others).

We've lost Saint Robert Jones, the World's Greatest 6'7" Centre-Half, and the Blessed Steven Fletcher, the World's Greatest One-Legged Striker. To suggest we can survive without them is plainly ludicrous.

And as for Zemmama and Benjelloun - well, let's see how much use THEY prove to be come Ramadan. Zemmama's nothing but a Fancy Dan anyway. And benjelloun's a trouble-maker. Put 'im out on loan to someone nasty.

Yogi's useless, Petrie's clearly up to no good, STF doesn't care, the East Stand will never be built - they promised us a training-ground but what did we get? A converted dairy-farm, not half as good as the Riccarton complex that Hearts get to use on half-days twice a week.

Bring back John Collins, Tommy Craig, Doumbe, Rocastle, Tam McManus and Hong Kong Thierry. Also Alan O'Brien, the Thompson Twins, and Fran 'n Anna.

And for pity's sake don't let any of us start feeling hopeful. It always leads to tears.

Doom 'n gloom, and bad-mouth the players, manager, coaches, board and EVERYBIDY ELSE INVOLVED WITH THE CLUB at every possible opportunity.

And BREATHE! :devil:

gogs_t
07-08-2009, 11:05 PM

I agree that we should be a better team this season. Fletcher is a top class striker and will be missed but his strike rate wasn't exactly out of the ordinary. Jones will be a massive loss though. However, I've been impressed with the role McBride plays and Galbraith is only a youngster but has looked pretty lively so far. And most people seem to have overlooked the fact that the most important "new signing" is Zemmama. In the games he's played so far he's been pretty outstanding.

We've been weakened every close season over the last few seasons but I honestly believe that this year we can handle it better. :thumbsup:

new malkyhib
07-08-2009, 11:06 PM
A thoroughly astute summation of the situation, sir. :wink:

It is imperative that at no time should we allow the slightest glimmer of optimism to mar the otherwise unblemished surface of depression and despair so lovingly nurtured by so many of our fellow supporters.

This is by far the worst close season in my memory.

Galbraith - an injury-prone reject from Man Utd reserves.

McBride - Not Hibs Class. Signed from The Team That Just Missed Relegation.

Cregg - see McBride.

Stack - he's had more clubs than Nick Faldo, a player of appallingly violent tenndencies (see YouTube clip), and not nearly as good as the late lamented Szamotulski. Moreover, he ISN'T BALD!!!!

McCann won't be good enough. No Hibs right-back in living memory has recovered from serious injury to be as good as he was before (see Duncan, R. and Brownlie, J. among others).

We've lost Saint Robert Jones, the World's Greatest 6'7" Centre-Half, and the Blessed Steven Fletcher, the World's Greatest One-Legged Striker. To suggest we can survive without them is plainly ludicrous.

And as for Zemmama and Benjelloun - well, let's see how much use THEY prove to be come Ramadan. Zemmama's nothing but a Fancy Dan anyway. And benjelloun's a trouble-maker. Put 'im out on loan to someone nasty.

Yogi's useless, Petrie's clearly up to no good, STF doesn't care, the East Stand will never be built - they promised us a training-ground but what did we get? A converted dairy-farm, not half as good as the Riccarton complex that Hearts get to use on half-days twice a week.

Bring back John Collins, Tommy Craig, Doumbe, Rocastle, Tam McManus and Hong Kong Thierry. Also Alan O'Brien, the Thompson Twins, and Fran 'n Anna.

And for pity's sake don't let any of us start feeling hopeful. It always leads to tears.

Doom 'n gloom, and bad-mouth the players, manager, coaches, board and EVERYBIDY ELSE INVOLVED WITH THE CLUB at every possible opportunity.

And BREATHE! :devil:

Oh the irony Doddie...and let's take in the highest transfer fees in the league, including the OF by a distance, and not spend a penny piece back out with the season due to start in a little over a week , and instead wait until the end of August to bring someone in (probably on a free).

In fact, strike that, lets's wait until January when the season's half done, and if that doesn't work, then let's preach the "patience" line for another season, and the poor saps will swallow it whole, because we're (variously):

Lucky still to be here/our expectation level of European football from a p1ss poor league every once in a while is unrealistic/Hearts are a joke.

Take your pick while doffing your cap to STF and "the tache".

--------
08-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Oh the irony Doddie...and let's take in the highest transfer fees in the league, including the OF by a distance, and not spend a penny piece back out with the season due to start in a little over a week , and instead wait until the end of August to bring someone in (probably on a free).

In fact, strike that, lets's wait until January when the season's half done, and if that doesn't work, then let's preach the "patience" line for another season, and the poor saps will swallow it whole, because we're (variously):

Lucky still to be here/our expectation level of European football from a p1ss poor league every once in a while is unrealistic/Hearts are a joke.

Take your pick while doffing your cap to STF and "the tache".

No - just feeling the absurdity of some of the things that some of us are posting when we haven't completed our pre-season yet, when there are still 3 weeks of the transfer window to go, and when it's perfectly possible that we WILL bring in some more players much closer to the deadline - as I believe we did last year.

I wasn't 'preaching' patience last season when Paatelainen was looking like wrecking the team completely.

I wasn't happy, and I said so. Loudly. And I wrote to the board expressing my concerns forcefully and clearly. And I received a courteous, and as it proved, accurate and relevant response.

But John Hughes and Brian Rice are now running things; we've strengthened the midfield and according to all accounts are getting back to playing a passing game with the ball on the ground; we have a new goalkeeper confirmed today; there is (as I understand things) the real possibility of our bringing two good-quality young players up on a year's loan from an EPL club; and the book isn't closed yet on other deals being made with SPL and other teams for other new players.

And while Benji and Zouma aren't new signings, we haven't had the services of either of them for more than a year. Zouma's back and playing well; Benji at least is back and in training.

I feel that a lot of the things that were way out of joint last season are in process of being put right. We're at last seeing young players being brought into the team and offered their chance in a rational and thoughtful manner.

And our manager is a man who speaks intelligently and simply about the way he sees the game, his players, and the club he works for.

So right now a quiet sense of cautious contentment isn't entirely out of place in the heart of an increasingly elderly Hibby grump.

I might remind you of something Queen Elizabeth the First of England said when her Councillors were demanding that she do something, anything, immediately and urgently, about the threat to the kingdom posed by the Spanish Navy.

"Let time pass," she said, "for time helps more than reasoning...."

She was right. The weather got them in the end.

I would also refer you to the wisdom of Sun Tzu.

RyeSloan
08-08-2009, 12:38 AM
I'm at a total loss how, as per a huge volume of posters on here, we can be that much weaker up front just through the loss of a one footed light weight forward. Fletcher couldn't lead a line and missed too many easy chances....beats me why we suddenly should then be so much weaker up front.

As for Jones, well same goes...flattered to deceive in set pieces, far too often out of position and always passing the buck when something went wrong at the back...never a captain and really a bit over rated, look at the goals against when he wasn't in the team!!

So avoiding any 1984 Yam style re-writing of .net history I have nothing but confidence that the team can only be stronger and the manager, chairman and owner are just the men for the job.......of course I may not hold this opinion for long and will of course blame anything less than third on either or all.

vein
08-08-2009, 12:44 AM
How about a different slant?

How have our rivals strengthened? Thats a genuine question by the way because all I know is Motherwell have lost a couple of key players and Hearts have signed a couple of (could be) world cup stars.

Baldy Foghorn
08-08-2009, 01:05 AM
How about a different slant?

How have our rivals strengthened? Thats a genuine question by the way because all I know is Motherwell have lost a couple of key players and Hearts have signed a couple of (could be) world cup stars.

But this is the time to speculate to accumulate..... With every other team staying the same or worsening, then this could be our time to make a real push ahead of the others?

vein
08-08-2009, 01:43 AM
But this is the time to speculate to accumulate..... With every other team staying the same or worsening, then this could be our time to make a real push ahead of the others?

Given the choice I would speculate S. But that is a genuine question I'm asking because this seems to be the quietest pre-season ever for transfers!

Col2
08-08-2009, 06:19 AM
Hughes, who insists he is still hopeful of adding "two or three" new signings before next Saturday's SPL opener against St Mirren, said: "JJ is back training with us and he will definitely get some part of the game. With Stack, it might just be a wee bit early. He has upped his rehab and we have to be very careful."

Above is from Scotsman today. I'd he thinks 2-3 in 7 days then we must be on lookout for a number of additions. Barr, Stokes and Boozy and we are sorted.

Hamish
08-08-2009, 06:57 AM
Rumours of 2 players on loan from the establishment team in London apparently

Spike Mandela
08-08-2009, 07:42 AM
Rumours of 2 players on loan from the establishment team in London apparently

Wycombe Wanderers :confused::wink:

thebausburst
08-08-2009, 08:09 AM
In a word Jones, lets face it he WAS the defence and MUST be replaced with QUALITY, otherwise we will simply concede FAR more goals than last year.

HibeeUnderwood
08-08-2009, 08:29 AM
I think signings are not a huge issue right now, what is an issue is can Yogi take the players from last year and get them playing good football and winning points. I think he can, pre-season has been good I think and I look forward to next saturdays match. :agree:

MyJo
08-08-2009, 08:47 AM
In a word Jones, lets face it he WAS the defence and MUST be replaced with QUALITY, otherwise we will simply concede FAR more goals than last year.

Genuine question here, how would you react to hibs signing a replacement for Jones from the lower levels of english league 2??

--------
08-08-2009, 09:19 AM

But IS it?

Last season can't have been too pretty in financial terms - we DID spend to bring players in, with not much to show. IMO that wasn't a lot to do with the players we signed, and a lot to do with the ineptitude of the manager, but still....

Collins was given funds - not the mega-bucks he apparently was expecting, but he signed NINE players, only one of whom is still at the club.

Mixu signed about a dozen in HIS spell - that's two windows - but patently hadn't a clue how to organise them into a team. Lots of activity, lots of players into the club, no farther forward, IMO.

Yogi has done what he said he would do - he's spent the last three/four weeks looking at and assessing the players he has. He's moved on a number, most of whom we were desperate to see go. He's also seen Jones and Fletcher leave for a combined fee of (I'd guess) around three and a half million.

He's said he was aware of our lack of a right-midfield, and Cregg and McBride were signed as answer to that.

The recovery of Zouma as our own player playing in OUR team and not halfway across the world on loan is a huge bonus - one I don't think we'd be enjoying if there hadn't been a regime-change in the dressing-room.

Galbraith as a straight replacement for O'Brien - on a free - seems to me to be good business.

Yogi also spoke more than once about the need for a keeper to come into the first-team squad as back-up/competition for Maka - we now have him.

For myself, I'm waiting to see how the Benji business works out - again, a potential bonus we weren't even thinking about three months ago. In a transfer window business tends to brisken towards the end of the open period. One of Mixu's best signings - in spite of his limitations - was Sol Bamba, who arrived late last year, IIRC.

Yogi has also been very clear about his desire and intention to promote players from last year's U-19 team - he can't do that if he's filled all the places with players brought in from outside.

And then there's the question of the financial recession, and how we complete the stadium (time's running out on us there) in that recession without putting the club in hock for the foreseeable future.

I agree three and a half million sounds a lot, but if you count transfer fee, signing fee, agent's fees, salaries and bonuses it doesn't go far in today's market. Not when English Div One sides have more TV money and more sponsorship available to them than we have.

And now I'm away to polish up my knee-pads and comb out my forelock - I won't be at Bolton, but I wouldn't want my humble obeisance to the Board to be anything less than exemplary NEXT Saturday at the St Mirren game. :devil:

Hamish
08-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Wycombe Wanderers :confused::wink:

:greengrin

No - that mob down at the Emirates Stadium.

Perhaps Walcott and Wilshere

--------
08-08-2009, 09:25 AM
:greengrin

No - that mob down at the Emirates Stadium.

Perhaps Walcott and Wilshere

Right club, I'd guess.

Not a chance of getting those two, though.

But if Yogi does as well there for us as he did for Falkirk, whoever they are, they'll be a useful addition to the squad.

If it IS the Arsenal, that is.

Hamish
08-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Right club, I'd guess.

Not a chance of getting those two, though.

But if Yogi does as well there for us as he did for Falkirk, whoever they are, they'll be a useful addition to the squad.

If it IS the Arsenal, that is.

Yes I know that.

2 young lads in the reserves probably a la Sheils

--------
08-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Yes I know that.

2 young lads in the reserves probably a la Sheils

Yup. Deano wasn't a bad acquisition (bet Yogi'd be delighted if he were still with us) and Stokes did OK for Falkirk in a similar situation - 16 in 18 games, IIRC.

And Deano was actually on the way out at Arsenal - these guys (if we get them) would be young reserve team players still in Wenger's plans.

--------
08-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Genuine question here, how would you react to hibs signing a replacement for Jones from the lower levels of english league 2??

Jones CAME from the lower levels of the English League - at least, according to some on here at the time.

As in another post on another thread - anyone remember a certain centre-half from SHREWSBURY who signed for MANCHESTER UNITED? And went on to play for SCOTLAND? :cool2:

Me, I'd wait to see how the guy played.

Others? Weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth would be the order of the day.

If you have a good source, and someone's on the way from Rushden & Diamonds, invest in Kleenex Tissues, dentures and Dentafix NOW.

Expecting Rain
08-08-2009, 09:56 AM
On paper we`re worse than last year, the centre of defence is a cause for concern at the moment, it was never going to be easy replacing Jones, Fletcher with his goals and work rate has now became a £3,000,000 player and folk keep talking up JJ.
There`s another week till the season starts, we do have a new manager and a better balance in midfield though it still doesn`t look too hot and a goalkeeper to challenge or replace Makalamby, hopefully we`ll strengthen through loan signings the areas which at this point look weak.

Ray_
08-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Jones CAME from the lower levels of the English League - at least, according to some on here at the time.

As in another post on another thread - anyone remember a certain centre-half from SHREWSBURY who signed for MANCHESTER UNITED? And went on to play for SCOTLAND? :cool2:

Me, I'd wait to see how the guy played.

Others? Weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth would be the order of the day.

If you have a good source, and someone's on the way from Rushden & Diamonds, invest in Kleenex Tissues, dentures and Dentafix NOW.

6ft2 eyes of blue, big jim holton's after you.

--------
08-08-2009, 10:00 AM
6ft2 eyes of blue, big jim holton's after you.

Na-na-NA-na, na-NA-na, na-naaaaah!

Not a bad player, Big Jim, in the end.....

I once saw him clear Martin Chivers into the North Terrace at Hampden - Chivers went out of play half-way into the England half. Jim was round about our penalty spot when he hit him. :devil:

Ray_
08-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Na-na-NA-na, na-NA-na, na-naaaaah! :devil:
Ah, but he only cost the Doc 80k, not the 150 we paid for Rob Jones:grr::devil:

--------
08-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Na-na-NA-na, na-NA-na, na-naaaaah!

Not a bad player, Big Jim, in the end.....

I once saw him clear Martin Chivers into the North Terrace at Hampden - Chivers went out of play half-way into the England half. Jim was round about our penalty spot when he hit him. :devil:

Ah, but he only cost the Doc 80k, not the 150 we paid for Rob Jones:grr::devil:

But he clearly wasn't United class.

Ray_
08-08-2009, 10:45 AM
But he clearly wasn't United class.

He seemed to disappear rather quickly, I remember he had a bad leg brake that he was just getting over in 1974, I'm sure he went to Germany that summer, [as did Sloop & Shades] & he ended up at Sunderland in the mid-seventies and I'm sure I saw him playing for Coventry against Arsenal in the late seventies.

Sadly big Jim died in the early Nineties, while he was only in his early forties [heart attack].

--------
08-08-2009, 10:53 AM
He seemed to disappear rather quickly, I remember he had a bad leg brake that he was just getting over in 1974, I'm sure he went to Germany that summer, [as did Sloop & Shades] & he ended up at Sunderland in the mid-seventies and I'm sure I saw him playing for Coventry against Arsenal in the late seventies.

Sadly big Jim died in the early Nineties, while he was only in his early forties [heart attack].

Yup. Finished at 30, sadly.

He was a publican in Coventry after he retired.

Heart attack in his forties. You can take the lad out of Lanarkshire....