PDA

View Full Version : Testimonials.

BroxburnHibee
06-08-2009, 10:45 PM
One of the questions at the Mcewan fraser quiz night on Tuesday was about Jackie Mac's testimonial (the answer was Newcastle by the way).

He received this after playing 236 games for Hibs and it occured to me there must have been a few Hibs players who had played more than that and not got a testimonial.

Pat McGinlay(323)
Paul Kane (247)
Graeme Mitchell(265)
Willie Miller(246)

Thats 4 who jumped out at me and don't forget if he can keep the injuries away it wont be long till a certain Ian Murray will get close to some of them as well. :devil:

Was wondering if the club has any criteria for awarding these games - last Hibs one I remember was Geebsy's then Sneddon's and Gordon Rae's before that

They had all played over 300 games for Hibs so a bit puzzled Jackie Mac achieved his with a lot less games.

By the way Joe Tortolano played 222 times for us - unsung hero if you ask me. :wink:

Part/Time Supporter
06-08-2009, 10:55 PM
One of the questions at the Mcewan fraser quiz night on Tuesday was about Jackie Mac's testimonial (the answer was Newcastle by the way).

He received this after playing 236 games for Hibs and it occured to me there must have been a few Hibs players who had played more than that and not got a testimonial.

Pat McGinlay(323)
Paul Kane (247)
Graeme Mitchell(265)
Willie Miller(246)

Thats 4 who jumped out at me and don't forget if he can keep the injuries away it wont be long till a certain Ian Murray will get close to some of them as well. :devil:

Was wondering if the club has any criteria for awarding these games - last Hibs one I remember was Geebsy's then Sneddon's and Gordon Rae's before that

They had all played over 300 games for Hibs so a bit puzzled Jackie Mac achieved his with a lot less games.

By the way Joe Tortolano played 222 times for us - unsung hero if you ask me. :wink:

Not as bad as R. Neilson (189 league starts, only 7 full seasons in the first team).

:greengrin :confused:

I would have thought out of the present Hibs squad that Hogg would be the likeliest to get a testimonial, but obviously not until about 2014/15.

hibbie02
06-08-2009, 11:03 PM
But what a great day it was! :greengrin

Okay we got beat in the first half, but what a team. :greengrin

BoltonHibee
07-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Testimonials, in general were awarded for 10 years service to the club irrelevant of how many games were played.

Testimonial games these days are and will be a thing of the past for obvious reasons.

RickyS
07-08-2009, 12:06 AM

Pat McGinlay(323)
Paul Kane (247)
Graeme Mitchell(265)
Willie Miller(246)

I know Pat left to go to the weege for a spell, but I worshipped him as a lad and was devastated when he left (was it not at the same time as Yogi?) but I seem to remember Pat being told that we would give him a testimonial even after he was away which ultimately Hibs never granted. I remember Joe T on Talk107 saying Pat was always gutted Hibs just never got in touch.....

Onceinawhile
07-08-2009, 01:09 AM
I remember geebsies testimonial, it was versus coventry, we won 4-3?

Pat Mcginlay and Willie Miller would both have got testimonials if they hadn't been silly billies. Paddy only left because he was fed up being so excellent, Willie Miller on the other hand was a rat deserting a sinking ship. I was a huge fan as well.

The day we got relegated, I had a cast signing session agreed with the first team squad and pretty much only Paddy and Grant Brebner came out and signed my cast ( he gave his boots away). I don't remember my original point, but if any player is going to get a proper testimonial any time soon it is Chris Hogg.

Also, how come Roy Race never got a testimonial?

joejoefaemexico
07-08-2009, 06:03 AM
I remember geebsies testimonial, it was versus coventry, we won 4-3?

Pat Mcginlay and Willie Miller would both have got testimonials if they hadn't been silly billies. Paddy only left because he was fed up being so excellent, Willie Miller on the other hand was a rat deserting a sinking ship. I was a huge fan as well.

The day we got relegated, I had a cast signing session agreed with the first team squad and pretty much only Paddy and Grant Brebner came out and signed my cast ( he gave his boots away). I don't remember my original point, but if any player is going to get a proper testimonial any time soon it is Chris Hogg.

i mind gordon hunter got 1 back in september 96.

MartinfaePorty
07-08-2009, 07:01 AM
IIRC, did McGinlay not have a committee set up and everything organised, only for the this to be scuppered by Hibs needing to dig up the pitch at the end of the season, meaning they couldn't fit in the testimonial game. Think it was supposed to be played the next season, but he was then freed, so everything was cancelled. I know this sounds far-fetched, but definitely remember reading an article on this a few years ago.

Keith_M
07-08-2009, 07:08 AM

Maybe because he's still playing, at the age of 74.

:wink: