PDA

View Full Version : Summer Football

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Given that Scottish teams regularly lose out to teams from smaller countries, who happen to be in the middle of their season (as opposed to us who are still at pre-season), does anyone think it would be worthwhile switching to summer football?

I think our only chance of generating income is to do better in Europe, but every year that is getting harder, due to the co-efficient suffering because of early exits.

heretoday
06-08-2009, 03:40 PM
I like winter football.

jakedance
06-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Its madness we don't have summer football. I'd much rather go to a game in June or July, than freeze my bollox off in February. Its just a far more pleasurable way to spend a Saturday afternoon when the sun is out.

aberhibsfc
06-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Summer football.

Good for:

Spectating
Encouraging youngsters to play
Better conditions for players to train
" " " youngsters to develop
Prepared for European football
Unchallenged TV access period

If summer football ain't going to happen, they should at least look to start and finish the league a month earlier, this way teams will be properly developed for their European encounters.

andyhibs
06-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Given that Scottish teams regularly lose out to teams from smaller countries, who happen to be in the middle of their season (as opposed to us who are still at pre-season), does anyone think it would be worthwhile switching to summer football?

I think our only chance of generating income is to do better in Europe, but every year that is getting harder, due to the co-efficient suffering because of early exits.
the girls football teams are at present midway through the season of summer football(march-nov) and the ladies team start next week mini season(aug-nov) then (feb- nov) apparently the way forward:rolleyes:

joebakerforever
06-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Summer is for hols & going abroad, not to satisfy some wimps that cannae stand the cold to watch fitba during the season.

So what are we supposed to do during the winter, count snowflakes/raindrops ?

Stick yer Summer Football up yer Khyber :devil:

Golden Bear
06-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Summer is for hols & going abroad, not to satisfy some wimps that cannae stand the cold to watch fitba during the season.

:agree:

And so say all of us!

And wot aboot the Raith Rovers game ------- cancelled because of the *loody summer weather !

:grr::greengrin

marinello59
06-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Watching football being played on a rain lashed pitch in a freezing cold gale is utter madness. To hell with tradition. Surely standards would improve if the game was played in decent conditions?

Removed
06-08-2009, 07:29 PM

:agree:

And for getting the bike out on some sticky tyres

heretoday
07-08-2009, 04:17 PM
What about those crisp, frosty European nights under the lights? or dull, nippy afternoons humping Hearts 7-0!

BonnieFitbaTeam
07-08-2009, 04:22 PM

Which of course has never made any sense anyway; why bugger off when the weather here is half decent ? Common sense would say get away when the weather here is pish !

Phil D. Rolls
07-08-2009, 04:52 PM
What about those crisp, frosty European nights under the lights? or dull, nippy afternoons humping Hearts 7-0!

Jumpers for goalposts, small boys, mum's got the tea on, isn't it, Mothers Pride on the table, Batman on TV, Saturday morning pictures, and fireworks getting thrown? Marvellous, bloomin marvellous.:greengrin

libernian
07-08-2009, 05:02 PM
think if you look at how much irish footbal has improved since summer season then yeah! also, it would be much better for watchin... who wants to go and be miserable. plus apparently irish football has to compete with other sports (gaelic football, hurling) n has still improved.

plus, more tv money... look at the drivel that sky has to show n the amount of tournaments being created to capitalise on this gap.

hibs took a big crowd to dunfermline earlier although i suppose this is because hibs hadnt played in ages...

would personally much rather go in the summer.

heres an article about it:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1097061/The-Irish-experiment-Eircom-league-switch-sense-everyone.html

Wellfan1984
07-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Not a Hibby - you may have guessed - but here is my £0.01:

Summer football sooner or later is a must. Yes it's traditionally to send the furthest south team to the furthest north side (or vice versa) on a cold winters night but that really needs to end.

But apart from that, the fact that if we had summer football, our package for live TV would be a lot more lucrative as companies like Sky Sports are screaming out for football between the months of June and August. OK it's only three months of a season that will probably go from February to November but those three months could be a real winner for us.

Will it happen? God knows, but unless I am mistaken Mr Henry McLiesh has been looking into the state of Scottish Football and surely he'll come to the same conclusion - or if he doesn't he bloody well should

ScottB
07-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Not playing summer football is a bulls**t excuse trotted out when Scottish teams are horsed by inferior European teams. Winter football would surely weaken the chances of Scottish teams doing anything when Euro football resumes in Spring, so we'd start hearing the Old Firm moan about summer football making their teams too unfit to compete in the later knockout rounds of the competitions.

Switching to summer football would mean a big shut down every 2 years for summer tournaments, might it also discourage players from moving north from English teams?

Keep as is but with a winter shutdown in January makes sense to me.

NOLA
07-08-2009, 05:48 PM
considering Hibs usual winter slump in form i say summer all the way:greengrin

ggth
07-08-2009, 05:49 PM
def summer footie for me, I used to love footie during the winter untill they made it all seating, which is not good for the farmer Giles, lol.
Even my misses would go, and we take our Holidays in the winter months when the weather is cold and dark..

heretoday
07-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Jumpers for goalposts, small boys, mum's got the tea on, isn't it, Mothers Pride on the table, Batman on TV, Saturday morning pictures, and fireworks getting thrown? Marvellous, bloomin marvellous.:greengrin

Enduring images, isn't it......Blowing on the hands, gingerly shoving 4 cans of McEwans down the jeans, scalding greasy pie on the back of the head, sharing your ten No.6 with a complete stranger, getting quietly pissed on by a man on the terrace behind you......yeah winter football is what it's all about!