PDA

View Full Version : The Potential Of Hibernian FC

darwenhibby
05-08-2009, 11:46 PM
A few of of us spoke today before the game.
If there was a British League, do the whole of the UK realise the potential a club like Hibs could benefit from this.

Edinburgh as a city.
The catchment of a massive support. Bearing in mind if you drew a 3 mile circumference from the centre spot of Easter Road compared to some of the EPL teams like the pi$h who were our opponents tonight.

Some of our catchment would be in the Forth, a lot of green land in East Lothian and our catchment would cross over with a worldwide support of 400k supporters from the other side of the city.

Yet we still take 25000 to semi finals and 30000 + to cup finals.

Some of the elders reminisced about the big support we took to Leeds and Liverpool. Bearing mind the support we took tonight the potential that is going on Saturday to Bolton for friendlies. People talk about Rantics potential.

With due respect I think we could just be as competitive and to a lesser extent the Yams.

For this to work we may have to give up the national team, which I would be reluctant to do.

I could not support a Team GB.

But things I would like to see in my time, is Hibs to win the Scottish Cup, Challenge the Oldfirm with a quality football team every season.
and gain ourselves a reputation as a team nobody would like to draw every year in Europe.

Then again I would not only love to see Scotland qualify for a major finals but to progress to the next stage.

What are the thoughts of others out there?

Wakeyhibee
05-08-2009, 11:53 PM
If there was a British League, do the whole of the UK realise the potential a club like Hibs could benefit from this.

Edinburgh as a city.
The catchment of a massive support. Bearing in mind if you drew a 3 mile circumference from the centre spot of Easter Road compared to some of the EPL teams like the pi$h who were our opponents tonight.

Some of our catchment would be in the Forth, a lot of green land in East Lothian and our catchment would cross over with a worldwide support of 400k supporters from the other side of the city.

Some of the elders reminisced about the big support we took to Leeds and Liverpool. Bearing mind the support we took tonight the potential that is going on Saturday to Bolton for friendlies. People talk about Rantics potential.

With due respect I think we could just be as competitive and to a lesser extent the Yams.

For this to work we may have to give up the national team, which I would be reluctant to do.

But things I would like to see in my time, is Hibs to win the Scottish Cup, Challenge the Oldfirm with a quality football team every season.
and gain ourselves a reputation as a team nobody would like to draw every year in Europe.

Then again I would not only love to see Scotland qualify for a major finals but to progress to the next stage.

You've been drinking too much:greengrin

darwenhibby
05-08-2009, 11:57 PM
I know but in the drunken hazard of one o'clock, I can still dream of Hibs realising their potential.

Even if it is nor feasible.

By the way shave that beard you look like Jimmy Hill in 1970's

Wakeyhibee
06-08-2009, 12:01 AM
I know but in the drunken hazard of one o'clock, I can still dream of Hibs realising their potential.

Even if it is nor feasible.

Did Jimmy Hill have a no1 cut ? will do but do you want me to send to you for a tupee?

ScottB
06-08-2009, 12:11 AM
To a point, I agree, if the likes of Stoke and Bolton can survive in the Premiership, so could we, given the same vast TV income...

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 03:08 PM
To a point, I agree, if the likes of Stoke and Bolton can survive in the Premiership, so could we, given the same vast TV income...

We could certainly do better than the likes of Plymouth Argyle and Wigan.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Did Jimmy Hill have a no1 cut ? will do but do you want me to send to you for a tupee?

:faf::faf::top marks

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2009, 03:13 PM

I thought he was wearing it in for peter sutcliffe.:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2009, 03:17 PM

Edinburgh as a city.

We did have this discussion yesterday duane, and if the EPL are to invite any scottish clubs in, then it has to be all or none. As we all said, give hibs the money that wigan, burnley, bolton, blackburn, stoke portsmouth in fact half the premiership, and we could be as big if not bigger than them. It will never happen though, as turkeys dont vote for xmas.:greengrin

aberhibsfc
06-08-2009, 03:44 PM

Edinburgh as a city.

:agree:

Wakeyhibee
06-08-2009, 03:54 PM
I thought he was wearing it in for peter sutcliffe.:greengrin

That's too close for comfort over here:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2009, 03:59 PM
That's too close for comfort over here:greengrin

I know, so why go for that look?:greengrin

Baker9
06-08-2009, 04:03 PM

Edinburgh as a city.

Edinburgh Hibs - one club representing our proud city against the world. Absolutely no reason why it shouldn't work. Bring it on.

I would be shocked if our board has not set out plans for exactly this contingency:greengrin

Wakeyhibee
06-08-2009, 04:03 PM
I know, so why go for that look?:greengrin

Alapechia and small willy ?

Keith_M
06-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Definitely drinking too much...

:wink:

darwenhibby
06-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Definitely drinking too much...

:wink:

Just hope I recover for Saturday.

I have had the hangover from hell today

ancient hibee
06-08-2009, 06:14 PM
I love these fantasies-obviously Hibs would go straight into the premiership -these small northern clubs would willingly vacate their place for us.

Woody1985
06-08-2009, 06:39 PM

As could anyone. Stupid arguement.

The number of fans attracts becomes less of your turnover if your income is vastly inflated.

We could certainly do better than the likes of Plymouth Argyle and Wigan.

Ignorant statement, especially re Wigan.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2009, 06:42 PM
I love these fantasies-obviously Hibs would go straight into the premiership -these small northern clubs would willingly vacate their place for us.

I certainly was not saying that, all i was saying is, if the old firm were to get the invite, then there are at least another 3 clubs in scotland who if markated in the right way, are as big if not bigger than a lot of the clubs in the EPL. What i did say on my original post, and when we discussed this last night, was if the invite did come from england, whatever league that may be, it should be for all, not just rantic.:confused:

Onceinawhile
07-08-2009, 12:27 AM
I read recently, that clubs from the capital are often less successful as they feel they have less to prove than provincial cities

hibbie02
07-08-2009, 07:08 AM
You are clearly forgetting that 400,000 of the population are already pledged the Dark Side (and probably more if you count their relatives), so we are lucky to have the support we have. :greengrin

p.s. I may have been down south for more years than I can remember, but have they moved large parts of East Lothian closer to ER recently? 3 miles???

Dashing Bob S
07-08-2009, 07:54 AM
One of the endearing traits of being a Hibby is that we're reluctant to indulge in OF/Yam self-aggrandising fantasy about the 'size' and 'potential' of our club.

Yet, I think the way football is going means the smaller leagues in Europe will have to eventually act in order that their clubs and football ccan become relevant on the European/World scale.

I don't think merging with England would work, there's nothing in it for there clubs except more competition for European places, and plenty of potential civil disorder/social unrest/political ramifications of dealing with the OF, co-opting the Scottish national structure etc etc.

I think the salvation for the smaller countries in Western Europe lies in their own hands, in an Atlantic League.

Premier Division

Hibs
Celtic
Huns
Ajax
Feyernoord
PSV
Sporting Lisbon
Porto
Benfica
Malmo
Gothenburg