View Full Version : Door still open for riordan

graemegyle
05-08-2009, 11:27 PM
http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=157236:agree:

Golden Bear
06-08-2009, 08:36 AM
http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=157236:agree:

I find this paragraph very strange :-

although Hughes claimed he hopes to call on his services for the second leg of Hibernian's Lancashire adventure against Bolton Wanderers at the Reebok Stadium on Saturday.

If the Manager is not in control of the Riordan situation then who the *ell is?

:hmmm:

Bishop Hibee
06-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Things don't sound good. As I've said before, I doubt we'll finish top 6 if Riordan heads out the door.

Hoping he's in the starting XI on August 15th.

O'Rourke3
06-08-2009, 08:49 AM
If Derek's after school activities indeed are really trying to get into every nightclub from where he's banned would Yogi not be better off telling him he's finished and that the door is shut?

We could use that sort of effort

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 09:22 AM
If Derek's after school activities indeed are really trying to get into every nightclub from where he's banned would Yogi not be better off telling him he's finished and that the door is shut?

We could use that sort of effort

I've never known being banned from a nightclub to affect a player's ability to score goals. Are we football supporters or monks?

Wilson
06-08-2009, 09:26 AM
I've never known being banned from a nightclub to affect a player's ability to score goals. Are we football supporters or monks?

I'm a monk. Can't speak for everyone though (vow of silence in effect).

Thecat23
06-08-2009, 09:38 AM

I've read a few things on here about Deeks and how people feel towards him. I see both points we really need a guy like him in the team but lets look at this. Is he really that interested in playing for Hibs? Yes he's a Hibs fan but i know for a fact if i was in his shoes i would do anything to get my head down as Hibs have brought him home "his words" so Derek how about you start showing us how much that means to you and get that head screwed on. I'm not interested in your private life as long as you don't bring the club down. Go out have fun that's not the issue it's the way you seem to argue and fight when something doesn't go your way. The odd time is ok as we have all lost our cool at some point but your doing this way to much. So i put it to you if you do come back do what you were good at.. taking on players and smashing the goals in. Not sure if you feel that because you were at Celtic you have this big club mentality, I hope not. End of the day the fans only want to see a player like Deeks do well and we all know he has the ability.

Come on Derek now is the time to stand up and show it.

ancient hibee
06-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Hughes is showing Riordan he doesn't walk into the team and keeping him on edge about the next game-seems the right way to tackle the situation.

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 09:44 AM
I've read a few things on here about Deeks and how people feel towards him. I see both points we really need a guy like him in the team but lets look at this. Is he really that interested in playing for Hibs? Yes he's a Hibs fan but i know for a fact if i was in his shoes i would do anything to get my head down as Hibs have brought him home "his words" so Derek how about you start showing us how much that means to you and get that head screwed on. I'm not interested in your private life as long as you don't bring the club down. Go out have fun that's not the issue it's the way you seem to argue and fight when something doesn't go your way. The odd time is ok as we have all lost our cool at some point but your doing this way to much. So i put it to you if you do come back do what you were good at.. taking on players and smashing the goals in. Not sure if you feel that because you were at Celtic you have this big club mentality, I hope not. End of the day the fans only want to see a player like Deeks do well and we all know he has the ability.

Come on Derek now is the time to stand up and show it.

I think all we are entitled to expect is for him to perform on the field of play.
The only way he can let the club down is if he doesn't do his job on the pitch.

Too many people seem to think they have a right to tell others how to live their lives - without having any idea what it would be like to be that person. Personally I think the lad is a bit of a tube going on like he does, but it's his business, not mine.

ahibby
06-08-2009, 09:49 AM
I think all we are entitled to expect is for him to perform on the field of play.

Too many people seem to think they have a right to tell others how to live their lives - without having any idea what it would be like to be that person. Personally I think the lad is a bit of a tube going on like he does, but it's his business, not mine.

There is a difference though in that you and I and the likes we live pretty much private lives on the other hand Deeks job keeps him in the public eye. Therefore anything negative that is reported about him will rub off on the club due to the link and the fans, in many cases, will be disappointed. Some of his off field activities could lead to him missing games, as per last night, and fans should be disgruntled about that. Or am I being unfair?

Thecat23
06-08-2009, 09:53 AM

I agree mate, but i do think he's not bringing much to the table since he's been back and we did pay a few bob for him. I know he wasn't fit etc.. I'm best mates with an SPL player and i've seen how people can be towards him. Your right people can't tell him how to run his life though but i do think it's having an impact on his game. That's just my opinion though.

I'd love to see him play each week giving it his all.. then he can do what he likes off the park.

Thecat23
06-08-2009, 09:57 AM
There is a difference though in that you and I and the likes we live pretty much private lives on the other hand Deeks job keeps him in the public eye. Therefore anything negative that is reported about him will rub off on the club due to the link and the fans, in many cases, will be disappointed. Some of his off field activities could lead to him missing games, as per last night, and fans should be disgruntled about that. Or am I being unfair?

Don't think you're being unfair at all. That's what i'm saying it is impacting on his game his actions of last w'end and other times. I just want him to get the head down before it's to late and go down as a "what could have been" type of player.

Jim44
06-08-2009, 10:13 AM

No way unfair. Riordan owes Hibs big time for resurrecting his flagging career and the guy should screw the nut to avoid the harm he is causing the club through his nocturnal behaviour. His loyalty/commitment to the club does not, as some here think, stop when he walks out the gate at ER.

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 10:39 AM
I agree mate, but i do think he's not bringing much to the table since he's been back and we did pay a few bob for him. I know he wasn't fit etc.. I'm best mates with an SPL player and i've seen how people can be towards him. Your right people can't tell him how to run his life though but i do think it's having an impact on his game. That's just my opinion though.

I'd love to see him play each week giving it his all.. then he can do what he likes off the park.

I think he was short of match practice when he came back, yet he still scored more goals than Fletch (in half the time). I would say he is looking fit and I am impressed that he is putting in a lot more work off the ball than he used to.

Tollhouse Hibee
06-08-2009, 10:47 AM
I think he was short of match practice when he came back, yet he still scored more goals than Fletch (in half the time). I would say he is looking fit and I am impressed that he is putting in a lot more work off the ball than he used to.

I agree - football wise he looks lean and seems to be working hard, tho still needs to find a pass a bit more often than shooting when others are in good areas.

He is in the spotlight tho. Kids look up to footballers, and what he does at night does have an effect on the fans, especially the kids, and sends out all the wrong messages for the kinds of behaviour acceptable in our society.

Deek has to remember the first word of his job title "proffessional" and start acting a bit more like it.

scott7_0(Prague)
06-08-2009, 11:00 AM

When it involves the police then I am sorry but the club have done the correct thing!!

RIP
06-08-2009, 11:06 AM
When I was 26 I behaved pretty much like Deek. At no point did I "screw the nut", "act professional" or "grow up". Anyone trying to give me advice would have been told where to shove it. I knew best and was always the victim, never the perpetrator.

I think those calling for him to do so now are completely barking up the wrong tree. Best to let him slip out of the limelight and see how things pan out

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 11:08 AM
When it involves the police then I am sorry but the club have done the correct thing!!

The correct thing would be to sack him, as happens in other professions, but they are not going to do that. Football is a law unto itself, and the club aren't making a moral stance, they are protecting their asset.

scott7_0(Prague)
06-08-2009, 11:13 AM
The correct thing would be to sack him, as happens in other professions, but they are not going to do that. Football is a law unto itself, and the club aren't making a moral stance, they are protecting their asset.

As you said, football is a law to itself and i think Hibs have taken the correct steps, no-one is bigger than the club and by suspending him they have shown him he is not the messiah he thinks he is. Hopefully this kick up the backside will get him thinking, but then again when has Deek ever thought about his actions off the pitch. :boo hoo:

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-08-2009, 11:13 AM

I think that we are entitled to expect a bit more from football players and from Riordan in particular. First-off, I would have done anything to be a Hibs player and if that meant staying away from situation that you 100% know will land you in trouble, then that is surely a small price to pay? Your career as a player is all but done in early-mid thirties, so you 40 to 50 years to make an erze of yourself. What rips my knitting though is that he wasted two or so years at Darkheid not getting a game. How is this any way to behave now that his first team place is more or less guaranteed?

hibs1875aye
06-08-2009, 11:19 AM

Really? Bucketman gets into a scrap or bother with the cops - is he handed his cards? Bus driver gets into bother or fight at the weekend - given his cards? Bloke working in Asda slaps someone hard and gets a night in the cells - is he deemed inappropriate to stack shelves and given his cards?

What do these have in common?

None of them affect the employees ability to do his job thus are not sackable offences.

Maybe not very good, not likeable etc but NOT sackable offences.

Therein, we have the issue.

As for "where the police are involved" - how about Strathclydes finest? Are they to be respected, loved and honoured? Nope. They are about the worst police there are. Wearing a police uniform doesnt exempt them from being tits.

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Really? Bucketman gets into a scrap or bother with the cops - is he handed his cards? Bus driver gets into bother or fight at the weekend - given his cards? Bloke working in Asda slaps someone hard and gets a night in the cells - is he deemed inappropriate to stack shelves and given his cards?

What do these have in common?

None of them affect the employees ability to do his job thus are not sackable offences.

Maybe not very good, not likeable etc but NOT sackable offences.

Therein, we have the issue.

As for "where the police are involved" - how about Strathclydes finest? Are they to be respected, loved and honoured? Nope. They are about the worst police there are. Wearing a police uniform doesnt exempt them from being tits.

I'm sorry but a lot of employers will dismiss you if you misbehave on your own time. I know mine would.

hibs1875aye
06-08-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm sorry but a lot of employers will dismiss you if you misbehave on your own time. I know mine would.

How would they know if you weren't in the public eye? Bloke gets lifted on Friday and released and back at work...unless the police informed the employer, how would they find out?

There are some cases where that may be the case of course i.e. if your job means you can't get into scraps and misbehave/speed at 120mph (such as a police officer for example :rolleyes:) but those are exceptions I reckon.

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 11:24 AM
How would they know if you weren't in the public eye? Bloke gets lifted on Friday and released and back at work...unless the police informed the employer, how would they find out?

There are some cases where that may be the case of course i.e. if your job means you can't get into scraps and misbehave/speed at 120mph (such as a police officer for example :rolleyes:) but those are exceptions I reckon.

It's all to do with being a fit and reputable person, I think. Maybe someone who knows HR law, (or failing that an HR officer) can say what the position is?

O'Rourke3
06-08-2009, 11:28 AM

As the perpetrator of the comment for which filled rolls is now getting bashed on I thought I'd explain the comment. It was intended to be humorous. The fact he's banned from every place in the town (C) Yakback doesn't stop him trying hard every week. The OP headed this "door open". Ergo if it's open he doesn't want in - so close it.

Simples

...but that get's FR a doing on another thread.

--------
06-08-2009, 11:34 AM
As the perpetrator of the comment for which filled rolls is now getting bashed on I thought I'd explain the comment. It was intended to be humorous. The fact he's banned from every place in the town (C) Yakback doesn't stop him trying hard every week. The OP headed this "door open". Ergo if it's open he doesn't want in - so close it.

Simples

...but that get's FR a doing on another thread.

I thought you'd had a really good idea there, myself.

Ban Deek from getting into East Mains, ER, anywhere owned and run by Hibernian FC. He'd bust a gut to get past the bouncers.

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 11:36 AM
I'll soon be banned from every thread on the board.

Anyway, why doesn't Deek dress up as an OAP, it always worked for Oor Wullie - and they do look a bit like each other when you think about it.

Biggie
06-08-2009, 11:40 AM
I think hibs are looking out for their reputation, a reputation for bringing young players thru the ranks, developing them as people not just footballers. Hibs will be around long after deeks has left the scene, and they (quite rightly) need to ensure their rep remains intact. Young players looking at his behaviour might reckon this is okay to get lifted all the time, and you can still get a game (if hibs had done nothing)...or they may say "I'm going to hibs because they will keep me on the straight and narrow, and if I do misbehave, they'll not bottle tough decisions".
If hibs did nothing, others at the club would know some players were bigger than the club....that can't happen.
Rightly, or wrongly, hibs had/have to take tough action against a serial offender....good player or not.

hibs1875aye
06-08-2009, 11:41 AM

Anyway, why doesn't Deek dress up as an OAP, it always worked for Oor Wullie - and they do look a bit like each other when you think about it.

:greengrin if this happens, you will be to blame for leading our star astray you understand. (funny to think about the wee guy and Deek though, now you mention it).

Trouble is, PC Murdoch is a touchy subject right now! :devil:

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 11:41 AM
I think hibs are looking out for their reputation, a reputation for bringing young players thru the ranks, developing them as people not just footballers. Hibs will be around long after deeks has left the scene, and they (quite rightly) need to ensure their rep remains intact. Young players looking at his behaviour might reckon this is okay to get lifted all the time, and you can still get a game (if hibs had done nothing)...or they may say "I'm going to hibs because they will keep me on the straight and narrow, and if I do misbehave, they'll not bottle tough decisions".
If hibs did nothing, others at the club would know some players were bigger than the club....that can't happen.
Rightly, or wrongly, hibs had/have to take tough action against a serial offender....good player or not.

See if Cristian Ronaldo was playing for us and he was getting lifted every week, do you think the club would give a monkey's about its reputation?

hibs1875aye
06-08-2009, 11:44 AM
See if Cristian Ronaldo was playing for us and he was getting lifted every week, do you think the club would give a monkey's about its reputation?

Of course. Shouldn't he be sacked did you no say.

"Sorry son, you were out on the lash. Pick up your cards. Do not pass go. Do not collect £200." :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Of course. Shouldn't he be sacked did you no say.

"Sorry son, you were out on the lash. Pick up your cards. Do not pass go. Do not collect £200." :greengrin

I didn't say anyone should be sacked, I was trying to highlight the hypocrisy surrounding Riordan's behaviour.

hibs1875aye
06-08-2009, 11:47 AM
I didn't say anyone should be sacked, I was trying to highlight the hypocrisy surrounding Riordan's behaviour.

I know :greengrin :wink:

Biggie
06-08-2009, 11:50 AM
what ?!..are you serious ?.....do you think they would let it continue ?...Riordan is extracting the urine...that can't happen or every man and his dog will try it on..

Green_one
06-08-2009, 11:55 AM

Ronaldo did not get into those situations as he was not drinking late into the evening and more often than not was at home. Seems he thought that keeping fit and looking after his body helped his performance. Strange or maybe DR has it wrong.

DR is also one of the senior players. What he does others look at and follow. That is one reason why clubs like Man United do well, as the roll models are excellent pros like Giggs and Scholes.

--------
06-08-2009, 12:05 PM

We had Best playing for us at a time when he was only intermittently vertical, and then only VERY precariously so.

Added a few thousands to the gates, and gave Tom Hart a few banner headlines, but did nothing whatsoever for the club.

IIRC we went down the tubes that season, big time.

I would hope that the club WOULD realise that even a name as big as Ronaldo's doesn't give a player carte blanche to misbehave out of working hours.

O'Rourke3
06-08-2009, 12:06 PM

:faf::top marks

hibs1875aye
06-08-2009, 12:08 PM
We had Best playing for us at a time when he was only intermittently vertical, and then only VERY precariously so.

Added a few thousands to the gates, and gave Tom Hart a few banner headlines, but did nothing whatsoever for the club.

IIRC we went down the tubes that season, big time.

I would hope that the club WOULD realise that even a name as big as Ronaldo's doesn't give a player carte blanche to misbehave out of working hours.

I was going to mention Best. Seems his infrequent and mild drinking got less attention than Riordan's attempts to get into a club and shouting at the cops :greengrin

Joy Zipper
06-08-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm a monk. Can't speak for everyone though (vow of silence in effect).

LOL :greengrin

heretoday
06-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Come on Derek. Grab a couple of goals and all will be forgiven!

Killiehibbie
06-08-2009, 12:44 PM
When I was 26 I behaved pretty much like Deek. At no point did I "screw the nut", "act professional" or "grow up". Anyone trying to give me advice would have been told where to shove it. I knew best and was always the victim, never the perpetrator.

I think those calling for him to do so now are completely barking up the wrong tree. Best to let him slip out of the limelight and see how things pan out

That was half a lifetime ago you must've stopped sometime and grew up a bit.
I know lots of guys who behaved like that, and a bit worse, most of them grew up or out of it the ones that didn't are now dead, in jail or lying in their own pish somewhere.

--------
06-08-2009, 01:56 PM
I know lots of guys who behaved like that, and a bit worse, most of them grew up or out of it the ones that didn't are now dead, in jail or lying in their own pish somewhere.

It's a question of why some people behave that way at that time in their lives.

Sometimes it's just a matter of growing up, of waking up one morning and deciding that life has to change, that you're tired of the nonsense, that you want something better.

If you can decide to do that, and then DO it - fine.

If you want to, but can't (for whatever reason), then you need help.

There are clinics, programs, life-coaches, whatever, that can help, but you need to want the help. Change has to come from within.

When this has to be worked out in the public eye, of course, it's much more difficult, especially with everyone and his auntie trying to second-guess whatever you do.

homielang
06-08-2009, 02:04 PM
I think this matter was blown way out of proportion. We pay Deeks to score goals and without him on the pitch we will be lucky muster any goals at all. Unless the Tache goes way out of character and opens the purse strings we will be lucky to escape relegation with no chance of the top 6 without a striker of quality.

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 02:10 PM
It's a question of why some people behave that way at that time in their lives.

Sometimes it's just a matter of growing up, of waking up one morning and deciding that life has to change, that you're tired of the nonsense, that you want something better.

If you can decide to do that, and then DO it - fine.

If you want to, but can't (for whatever reason), then you need help.

There are clinics, programs, life-coaches, whatever, that can help, but you need to want the help. Change has to come from within.

When this has to be worked out in the public eye, of course, it's much more difficult, especially with everyone and his auntie trying to second-guess whatever you do.

Some might say it is a case of low self esteem. People have been conditioned to believe they are worthless, and so when things go well for them they cannot handle the situation. So, to bring them back to their comfort zone, they engage in self-defeating behaviours.

I read an interesting article about this, where a psychologist was comparing England's success rate in penalty shoot outs with other nations. He reached the conclusion that because England believe they are losers, subconsciously defeat is not only acceptable, it is preferable. This is contrasted with Germany and Italy amongst others, where defeat is totally unacceptable.

I'm not going to analyse Derek Riordan, but I see plenty of people around me who could do a lot better for themselves, yet chose to stick within the comfort zone of their scheme and their friends. They'll say it's loyalty or modesty, but from what I can make out is that they are sh*t scared of making a go of life on their own.

Luna_Asylum
06-08-2009, 02:11 PM
I think this matter was blown way out of proportion. We pay Deeks to score goals and without him on the pitch we will be lucky muster any goals at all. Unless the Tache goes way out of character and opens the purse strings we will be lucky to escape relegation with no chance of the top 6 without a striker of quality.

Exactly. What did he do - slag off the polis - big deal.
One Mr S Gerard and his mates were involved in a rather bigger story without as much fallout

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 02:12 PM

Homielang, are you by any chance related to RD Laing, or even R Laing (aka Boabster)? I think we should be told.

--------
06-08-2009, 02:18 PM

There is a question as to whether the board are entitled to watch one of their employees getting into trouble and causing himself and others grief without offering assistance.

Grant Brebner had a gambling problem while he was at ER; the club tried to help him, and only cut him loose when it becane clear that he wasn't ready to be helped.

It's not primarily about the reputation of the football club, IMO - it's about an employer's responsibility to offer support and assistance to an employee who may or may not be struggling with personal problems.

Much of this is, of course, pure speculation. Personal business about which we have little or no right to know.

But we do have Colin Nish, Jonatan Johannson, Kurtis Byrne, and possibly Benji as a potential strike force in addition to Deek. And I will be very surprised if Deek (provided he stays at ER and doesn't head off down south) doesn't contribute his usual 20 goals or so to the credit column this season.

J-C
06-08-2009, 02:49 PM
I was going to mention Best. Seems his infrequent and mild drinking got less attention than Riordan's attempts to get into a club and shouting at the cops :greengrin

Thing was with Best, he was a world rated superstar who, even with a few bevvies down his neck was miles ahead of Riordan.

Hughes and the board have obviously told Riordan to either screw the nut, knuckle down or the door will hit him on the way out. We as a club have given him another chance to get back into top flight football again by bringing him back, he needs to repay us by showing himself to be a professional footballer and not some average bloke looking to get pished up at every opportunity and getting lifted on a regular basis.

Now whether it's Derek himself or the cronies he hangs around with I don't really know but he has to take some responsibilty for his own actions, or he may be another statistic of a very good footballer who wasted his life and what might have been.

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Thing was with Best, he was a world rated superstar who, even with a few bevvies down his neck was miles ahead of Riordan.

Hughes and the board have obviously told Riordan to either screw the nut, knuckle down or the door will hit him on the way out. We as a club have given him another chance to get back into top fligh football again by bringing him back, he needs to repay us by showing himself to be a professional footballer and not some average bloke looking to get pished up at every opportunity and getting lifted on a regular basis.

Now whether it's Derek himself or the cronies he hangs around with I don't really know but he has to take some responsibilty for his own actions, or he may be another statistic of a very good footballer who wasted his life and what might have been.

I think this is the rub. For me, I'm not interested in what players do off the pitch, as long as they perform on it they're OK. Derek did pretty well last season, considering his lack of matches in the previous two years. I think he is undoubtedly our best player.

Luna_Asylum
06-08-2009, 03:10 PM

Hughes and the board have obviously told Riordan to either screw the nut, knuckle down or the door will hit him on the way out. We as a club have given him another chance to get back into top flight football again by bringing him back, he needs to repay us by showing himself to be a professional footballer and not some average bloke looking to get pished up at every opportunity and getting lifted on a regular basis.

or maybe the club feel they need to be seen to be doing something.

on the point of repayment IMO deek owes us nothing

hibs1875aye
06-08-2009, 03:42 PM

Indeed he was. Though according to most sources, his time everywhere else other than easter road was where he really made a difference

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2009, 03:46 PM

Me too, but moving to bolton turned his life right around.

homielang
06-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Homielang, are you by any chance related to RD Laing, or even R Laing (aka Boabster)? I think we should be told.

No relation whatsoever.

J-C
06-08-2009, 04:32 PM

Apart from taking him away from Celtic youth team training and a career that was spiralling to nonentity status , then I thnk he owes the club a hellova lot.

J-C
06-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Indeed he was. Though according to most sources, his time everywhere else other than easter road was where he really made a difference

I had the privilege to see Best at ER, and even at the end of his career, you could see he was head and shoulders above everyone here. He was never going to win anything to talk about when here, he earned a few bob and brought in the crowds during his time here.

Hibee_Rab
06-08-2009, 04:45 PM

Of course he owes you nothing, you are a hearts fan, or is the pink outline on you a mistake? At the moment deeks owes us for the pay he gets each week, which IMO means he should be trying to play as well as he can (drinking heavily will affect his fitness) and not bring bad publicity to the club.

Wing Half
06-08-2009, 04:55 PM
apart from 49 years, a load of sanctimonious twaddle.

Luna_Asylum
06-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Of course he owes you nothing, you are a hearts fan, or is the pink outline on you a mistake? At the moment deeks owes us for the pay he gets each week, which IMO means he should be trying to play as well as he can (drinking heavily will affect his fitness) and not bring bad publicity to the club.

I'm a hibbie but the admins coloured me pink cos I said some things they didn't like.

Like you I would prefer he was tucked up in bed early every night

BEEJ
06-08-2009, 05:16 PM

One Mr S Gerard and his mates were involved in a rather bigger story without as much fallout
So I assume that you both believe that the club was wrong to discipline Riordan and that the Board committed an even worse crime by making it public?

While the incident itself was a minor offence of disorder in nature, the Club does not condone or accept the player's behaviour on this occasion.

VegasHibby
06-08-2009, 05:37 PM
This is not good. Sounds very ominous. Just like what yogi did with Benji he turned him over to the board to decide. Which means he's washed his hands over Riordan. Yogi's latest comments are very diplomatic. I'm sure it's up to Riordan and the board to make a decision on his future. Someone mentioned something yesterday about him being in Southampton.
Must admit though that he's obviously a handful and needs to grow up and be responsible. Not just to himself but to Hibernian football club and most importantly the fans........
If Yogi is going to set an example he has to treat all players equally and not give special treatment to someone like Riordan. Natural talent is not enough to survive in any business. If Riordan continues this way he'll find that out pretty quivcly.

VegasHibby
06-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Not a "head in the sand" response but what happened and how?
Riordan went out for a drink, got refused entry to a club. as far as I know not all clubs participate in the scheme which has banned Riordan. Does Riordan know which ones have signed up?
Don't know what was said when he was refused entry but surely it wasn't all one sided.
And no, Riordan should have reacted against the police so the club have a point, but then it was after work.
He does seem an easy target but surely a professional doorman wouldn't bait a high profile easy target.
Surely the professionalism of L&B's finest wouldn't bait a high profile easy target.
If the guy needs help then help should be offered, can't make him accept it though.

Having said all that. I was banned from this board after 8 posts for criticising the desire to sign him in the first place, pointing out the reasons for not signing him. go figure.

I don't think this one incident is the problem. There are several incidents. And that's only the one's the media get a hold of. We probably don't know the big picture that Yogi and Petrie know of. Not forgetting the incidents with ginger ba's(Strachan)

ancient hibee
06-08-2009, 06:09 PM

3 points I disagree with-

When Best was at Hibs his days as a superstar were long behind him-he was unfit and often too drunk to play-at that time he was miles below the level Riordan is now and nowhere near as important to the team.

We don't know what the club has said to him other than giving him a mild disciplinary sanction.What evidence do you have to say he is looking to get pished at every opportunity and how regularly does he get lifted?

He does need to give himself a wakeup.

Luna_Asylum
06-08-2009, 07:20 PM
So I assume that you both believe that the club was wrong to discipline Riordan and that the Board committed an even worse crime by making it public?

Not really but deek needs support/help as well as discipline.
If he leaves Hibs now many many fans will correctly blame the club.

Dashing Bob S
06-08-2009, 08:12 PM

Wouldn't it be enlightening to have that distinguished student of the human condition offering his take on the Deeks issue?

Dashing Bob S
06-08-2009, 08:15 PM

Totally agree, that was completely scandalous. Gerrard's saving grace though was that it was self-evident through his bearing and body language that he knew he'd been foolish and brought this mess on himself. I fear Deeks has yet to get to that point of realisation.

Pedantic_Hibee
06-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Yes, yes, of course. But it must be remembered that at the last count, ten esteemed gentlemen were unable to elevate Nade, not even with the help of a forklift truck.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2009, 09:16 PM
from football rumours so it - must - be - tr - - - a rumour?

–Inside Scoop from Edinburgh’s Premium Newspaper–

Derek Riordan has had a major spat with the Hibernian FC and their failure to back him in his troubles with the Police.

He has handed in a transfer request which has alerted city rivals Hearts who lost out on him previously. Hearts will offer Jamie Mole and £100K and we are hearing that this may be acceptable to John Hughes and his board.

John Hughes is on record as a great admirer of Jamie Mole and may see him as the final piece of the jigsaw.

–Inside Scoop from Edinburgh’s Premium Newspaper–
:faf::faf::faf:

Dashing Bob S
06-08-2009, 09:19 PM
:faf::faf::faf:

Ws hoping we could stick out for Gary Glen.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Ws hoping we could stick out for Gary Glen.

Or maybe even Nade.

Haggis Hibby
06-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Is it just me that thinks a simple soution would be for deeks not to go out in Edin but go out inNewcastle, Manchester Dublin etc,,, he has a few bob can fly to most places in a hour... no banning order, quiet night out due to not being known outside scotland....

Problem solved... deeks out of headlines still gets to enjoy a night out we are all happy :thumbsup:

Wing Half
06-08-2009, 10:39 PM
just got the book about the making of Revovlr.
bye

HibbingtonHibs
07-08-2009, 01:31 AM
I don't like the fact that Besty and even Gazza are being compared to Deek here.
The common ground is that they all loved a bevvy. I have no real problem with that even though it takes it's toll on performance and is sure to shorten a career.

Deeks biggest problem is the violent side to him when he's drunk. Between him and his entourage they are a danger to normal human beings.

Deeks problem is not drink, it is anger management. The guy is a brilliant footballer and a total ned. Besty was never violent.

Luna_Asylum
07-08-2009, 06:33 AM
I don't like the fact that Besty and even Gazza are being compared to Deek here.
The common ground is that they all loved a bevvy. I have no real problem with that even though it takes it's toll on performance and is sure to shorten a career.

Deeks biggest problem is the violent side to him when he's drunk. Between him and his entourage they are a danger to normal human beings.

Deeks problem is not drink, it is anger management. The guy is a brilliant footballer and a total ned. Besty was never violent.

Well maybe not quite never

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/best-denies-beating-his-wife-1276169.html

I dont like "besty" being compared with deek either.
best turned up when he felt like it, was decidedly average (mostly) and helped get us relegated IIRC

modsquad
07-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Is surely the point of Hughes stance maybe not to set an example to the younger players.

As a 'senior' player in the squad, is it not up to Riorden to set an example to those in the U-17/U-19 category.

My guess would be the club is making a bit of a show about discipline as a warning to the younger players not to step out of line and to keep the club off the front pages of the paper.

I wouldn't see it as anything sinister but as a way of the club flexing their muscle to:-

1. Get Riorden to try and screw the head or hes going to find himself in a similar situation to how his career went at Parkhead

2. To act as a deterrant to younger players from stepping out of line by showing that Hibernian FC are willing to drop/suspend/discipline one of their star players for his misdemeanours.

Everyone will have their own opinion about how professional football players should behave when off-field. If they get in trouble is it just their own reputation or the reputation of the club that they tarnish.

Unless Riorden makes it public, No-one will ever know the exact circumstances of the incident but its clear that DR maybe needs some guidance in his life of hes going to end up self destructing and ending up on the footballing scrapheap.

I know being a 'Yam' will probably end up with me getting pelters. Do I like DR as a player. No. Do I think DR has got talent. Absolutely. Theres a difference between recognising a player with ability and not liking him because he plays for your biggest rivals.

For his own sake, I hope he sorts himself out and gets back to making the headlines on the right pages for Hibs fans

oregonhibby
07-08-2009, 06:55 AM
I think we should only be worried about how much Derek's personal life impacts on his professional life. As a professional in any job unless you look after the tools they will start to deteriorate and you will become less effective.

At 16 - 20 Derek had great "potential" and that potential should be being realised now. I tend to think that we have seen the best of Derek, and whilst still good, he will never fully realise his potential. Since coming back from Celtic he, to use an Alex Fergusin phrase, got thicker round the middle and he shows no great signs of improved application. He can still win a game in a flash but that is likely to fade.

How Derek wants to live his life is up to him. In the end he will benefit or pay. I hope he has invested whatever money he has made or has a clear vision of his future outside football because I personally don't see the next big transfer to a bigger club - hopefully wrong. Don't compare him to Best or Marinello but look at Collins and Sauzee. Its what could have been that is important not a comparison of wasted talent.

Just my view.

Luna_Asylum
07-08-2009, 07:06 AM
I think we should only be worried about how much Derek's personal life impacts on his professional life. As a professional in any job unless you look after the tools they will start to deteriorate and you will become less effective.

At 16 - 20 Derek had great "potential" and that potential should be being realised now. I tend to think that we have seen the best of Derek, and whilst still good, he will never fully realise his potential. Since coming back from Celtic he, to use an Alex Fergusin phrase, got thicker round the middle and he shows no great signs of improved application. He can still win a game in a flash but that is likely to fade.

How Derek wants to live his life is up to him. In the end he will benefit or pay. I hope he has invested whatever money he has made or has a clear vision of his future outside football because I personally don't see the next big transfer to a bigger club - hopefully wrong. Don't compare him to Best or Marinello but look at Collins and Sauzee. Its what could have been that is important not a comparison of wasted talent.

Just my view.

Maybe wishfull thinking on my part but I reckon predictions of his demise are somewhat premature

graemegyle
07-08-2009, 10:41 AM
In todays Rantic he is now training with the squad in bolton.:thumbsup:

Now in E/N http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hughes-urges-Riordan-to-put.5533579.jp

oregonhibby
07-08-2009, 10:47 AM
I am not suggesting a demise. I hope not from his perspective. Its just he is not maximising his obvious talents. At the end of the day it is up to Derek.

I hope Derek bangs in the goals and is Hibs best player. Maybe his private life is having no impact - Hibs did discipline him for a reason - but I suspect he will not reach his full potential and for me that is sad.

We all know the George Best "Where did it all go wrong - Mary Stavin" story. At the elite sports level even a small reduction in performance can kill a career.

But as I said, it is up to Derek.

mm......wonder what the odds are of him scoring the winner in the first game?

J-C
07-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Is it just me that thinks a simple soution would be for deeks not to go out in Edin but go out inNewcastle, Manchester Dublin etc,,, he has a few bob can fly to most places in a hour... no banning order, quiet night out due to not being known outside scotland....

Problem solved... deeks out of headlines still gets to enjoy a night out we are all happy :thumbsup:

Another simple solution would be for Derek to simply go out for a few drinks with his mates and realise that clubbing it till 3 am is a no go nowadays. He's not barred from bars, just certain nightclubs and most bars are open till 1-1.30am, plenty time to enjoy a good drink with your mates.

--------
07-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Another simple solution would be for Derek to simply go out for a few drinks with his mates and realise that clubbing it till 3 am is a no go nowadays. He's not barred from bars, just certain nightclubs and most bars are open till 1-1.30am, plenty time to enjoy a good drink with your mates.

And this is an acceptable life-style for a professional sportsman? Out to the wee small hours drinking with his mates?

And this won't lead to further 'incidents'? :cool2:

silverhibee
07-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Was reading the DR today, and was amazed to read that Chelsea players on a night out, or a four hour bevvy session had drunk, 30 bottles of Dom Perignon,20 bottles of vodka,10 bottles of Jack Daniels, and much more,and the cost of this wee bender was £105,000.
So its not just Scottish players that like a drink then i suppose.:greengrin

RIP
07-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Was reading the DR today, and was amazed to read that Chelsea players on a night out, or a four hour bevvy session had drunk, 30 bottles of Dom Perignon,20 bottles of vodka,10 bottles of Jack Daniels, and much more,and the cost of this wee bender was £105,000.

Did the article say how many members of the public, doormen or police officers were abused in the process? ...........:offski:

Killiehibbie
07-08-2009, 02:26 PM

They've got that big a squad and with hangers on it was 4 drinks each.

silverhibee
07-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Did the article say how many members of the public, doormen or police officers were abused in the process? ...........:offski:

Erm nope.:greengrin
But it does show a picture of John Terry looking a bit on the wasted side, and the reason i mention it is that it says in the paper that, Terry drove himself home at 12.45 in his Bentley.:cool2:

--------
07-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Erm nope.:greengrin
But it does show a picture of John Terry looking a bit on the wasted side, and the reason i mention it is that it says in the paper that, Terry drove himself home at 12.45 in his Bentley.:cool2:

Wouldn't that be the Metropolitan Police area?

As in, the Met - the best police force money can buy?

They'd know his car, and know to let him go. And besides, he was in no danger - he wasn't going to kill himself in a Bentley.

Now the wee lass in the Corsa coming the other way - that's different.... :rolleyes:

heretoday
07-08-2009, 03:44 PM
It's up to Hibs to get the guy straight if they think his nocturnal activities are affecting his play.
And he himself must grow up and realise that drink is his problem.

He's still the man most likely to score goals and Hibs need to keep him.

J-C
07-08-2009, 04:28 PM
And this is an acceptable life-style for a professional sportsman? Out to the wee small hours drinking with his mates?

And this won't lead to further 'incidents'? :cool2:

Doddie, we're not talking about every night, only the weekend after a game, which is generally when players can relax and let their hair down a wee bit.

An exeptable life style for any sportman is to train hard, eat proper healthy food, with the odd drink occassionally once a week. As a personal trainer myself and one who competes in natural bodybuilding competitions, I know how important it is to treat your body like a temple so they say. :greengrin
It's also important to allow yourself occassional treats, whether they're food or drink orientated.

Phil D. Rolls
07-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Doddie, we're not talking about every night, only the weekend after a game, which is generally when players can relax and let their hair down a wee bit.

An exeptable life style for any sportman is to train hard, eat proper healthy food, with the odd drink occassionally once a week. As a personal trainer myself and one who competes in natural bodybuilding competitions, I know how important it is to treat your body like a temple so they say. :greengrin
It's also important to allow yourself occassional treats, whether they're food or drink orientated.

Having a drink is one thing, but breakfast you get in the polis station is not what you'd call a healthy one. Or do they offer smoothies and meusli these days? :wink: