PDA

View Full Version : Thicot last Saturday

ahibby
05-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Does anyone know why Thicot didn't get a game (or part of) last Saturday against Preston NE. I thought he played the central defender role well at the tail end of the season especially against Hearts, so I was surprised to see Bamba in central defence instead of midfield. Having said that I thought Bamba played that position very well for the first 45 but a shame about the second half.

Gala Foxes
05-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Had a horror show first 45 minutes at Raith - back to his trait of mi****ting clearances, falling asleep, too casual at the back , oh & running in to Chris Hogg at the goal

Gala Foxes
05-08-2009, 01:29 PM
**** word is mis - hitting

ahibby
05-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Cheers for that mate. Just shows to go what a few weeks off can do for a player.

Andy74
05-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Cheers for that mate. Just shows to go what a few weeks off can do for a player.

Well, it's also pre-season so that's what these games are for, getting the rustiness out the way.

I like him but it's an idication of how this Board operates sometimes that he was getting rave reviews at the end of last season and then 45 minutes of a pre season game and he'd being written off again.

I'll give him this season, he really needs to get up to the pace of the games here and may need a far greater sense of urgency than he currently has to be a success here.

He remids me a bit of Evander Sno who everyone is Scotland thought was a donkey but I though looked like a quality player playing in the wrong type of football.

I saw him playing for Ajax last week and he ran the show from on front of the back 4, really classy. I'm not sure what he'd make if people firing into tackles at him every two minutes though. Thicot for me is the same.

ahibby
05-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Well, it's also pre-season so that's what these games are for, getting the rustiness out the way.

I like him but it's an idication of how this Board operates sometimes that he was getting rave reviews at the end of last season and then 45 minutes of a pre season game and he'd being written off again.

Yes indeed that is what pre-season is all about and therefore if he was fit I can't understand Yogi not giving him atleast some part of a game on Saturday. I'd prefer him to Bamba or Murray in central defence and I'd prefer those two in midfield to him, but I have to trust that Yogi knows better.

I like him to and I can see the similarity to Sno you mentioned. There were times when Sno changed matches for the better for Celtic, lets hope Thicot can do the same and more consistently for us.

JimBHibees
05-08-2009, 02:13 PM

I'll give him this season, he really needs to get up to the pace of the games here and may need a far greater sense of urgency than he currently has to be a success here.

He remids me a bit of Evander Sno who everyone is Scotland thought was a donkey but I though looked like a quality player playing in the wrong type of football.

I saw him playing for Ajax last week and he ran the show from on front of the back 4, really classy. I'm not sure what he'd make if people firing into tackles at him every two minutes though. Thicot for me is the same.

Think Sno is a much better athlete than Thicot who IMO is slow and gets caught out in midfield due to the pace of the game. At the back he has done well at times however think he needs to be a bit more aggressive in the air than he is. Wouldnt rule him out totally however if he was seriously in Yogi's plans I think he would have had more game time than he has.

ahibby
05-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Think Sno is a much better athlete than Thicot who IMO is slow and gets caught out in midfield due to the pace of the game. At the back he has done well at times however think he needs to be a bit more aggressive in the air than he is. Wouldnt rule him out totally however if he was seriously in Yogi's plans I think he would have had more game time than he has.

Yep I was going to say that Sno was bigger and you are right that Thicot has not been good at high balls if mem serves right. I thought that with Maka being the height he is he could come for more to make up for Thicots lack of height/physique, but if Yogi doesn't fancy him then that's not a consideration.

PeterboroHibee
05-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Had a horror show first 45 minutes at Raith - back to his trait of mi****ting clearances, falling asleep, too casual at the back , oh & running in to Chris Hogg at the goal

He was terrible in that game, particularly when he totally misjudged the bounce even though Maka was screaming at him to make sure he didnt; just lucky the two strikers were so suprised the ball got through they hesitated and Maka made a good double save.

Fwiw I do think Thicot is a good squad player as a CB, he can have off games but then he can perform (like in the Hearts game). Better hes doing things like this in preseason where it doesnt matter than in an important game.

Franck is God
05-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Thicot did have a dreadful 45 minutes against Raith.

Yogi is trying to find a defensive partner for Hogg for the first 3 games while Murray is suspended and unfortunately Thicot took himself out of the running for that position in one half of football.

I do think however that he partnered Ian Murray previously very well and also played well along side Bamba in midfield so he definitely adds something to the squad.

ahibby
06-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Still on the subject of Thicot but referring to last night, where did he play. Was it in central defence of midfield and how did he do?

Hibs90
06-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Still on the subject of Thicot but referring to last night, where did he play. Was it in central defence of midfield and how did he do?

Midfield and he done okay, one or two misplaced passes but nothing special.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2009, 09:29 AM
The only games i have been impressed with thicot, have been when he's played centre half.

ahibby
06-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Thicot did have a dreadful 45 minutes against Raith.

Yogi is trying to find a defensive partner for Hogg for the first 3 games while Murray is suspended and unfortunately Thicot took himself out of the running for that position in one half of football.

I do think however that he partnered Ian Murray previously very well and also played well along side Bamba in midfield so he definitely adds something to the squad.

Do you know for sure that Murray is going to partner Hogg in central defence this year. If that is the case I fear the worst because both Murray and Bamba are better in other positions than in central defence and IMO, both are liabilities in central defence. Does anyone else think Murray should be left back or midfield and Bamba in midfield or am I alone in this?

Ritchie
06-08-2009, 10:03 AM
if he was more consistent he'd have my vote to partner Hogg all season.

saying that, he's only had 2 exceptional games... both at tynie (0-0, 0-1).

i still cant get over that penalty he gave away against Motherwell at ER.

was probably the the worst tackle/hold i've ever seen a player make in the box..... totally blatent penalty!

ahibby
06-08-2009, 10:51 AM
if he was more consistent he'd have my vote to partner Hogg all season.

saying that, he's only had 2 exceptional games... both at tynie (0-0, 0-1).

i still cant get over that penalty he gave away against Motherwell at ER.

was probably the the worst tackle/hold i've ever seen a player make in the box..... totally blatent penalty!

Okay I guess my point of view is formed on his good appearances as a central defender and I haven't seen or I've forgotten his poor appearances in that position. Atleast though he has had a couple of exceptional games as a central defender and I can't say the same for either Murray nor Bamba. Although I think Bambas first 45 mins against Preston NE was just about exceptional the first ten minutes of the second half were fairly abysmal, I thought and things got worse when Murray took over from him in central defence (if mem serves me right).

I got an email from Fyfe at Hibs asking why I hadn't renewed my ST and I replied that I am waiting to see how the team develops. I also said that in my opinion we need to get a good central defender in to partner Hogg and a hard ball winning midfield player (although I thought Bamba might be able to do that, his performance in midfield in 2nd half was less than convincing). I think we could afford to lose 2 or 3 from the pool to bring in a couple of players for the central defender and midfield roles I mentioned. Of course the two or three we could afford to lose do not include Riordan, Zouma, Hogg, Hanlon (yes I believe this lad will be our next big and valuable player to come through the ranks) and perhaps Bamba.

Expecting Rain
06-08-2009, 11:04 AM

Spot on as usual Jim, Thicot is not going to get any quicker, he is a squad player i`m afraid and nothing else.

Franck is God
06-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Do you know for sure that Murray is going to partner Hogg in central defence this year. If that is the case I fear the worst because both Murray and Bamba are better in other positions than in central defence and IMO, both are liabilities in central defence. Does anyone else think Murray should be left back or midfield and Bamba in midfield or am I alone in this?

I don't know for sure but going by the teams that Yogi has picked, Hogg is clearly first choice centre half and captain so it's whoever looks like the best partner for him. So far it looks like it's between Murray or Bamba.

I think that both Murray & Bamba (and Thicot at times) showed up quite well in midfield last year because we pretty much bypassed it when we had the ball. And because they are both very good defensively they coped well against other teams that did play through the middle, if you think back you won't remember either of them starting flowing moves being involved in good possession of the ball. I know both players can 'do a job' in midfield but they are really defenders playing out of position. It's great to have them as back up but I hope that's all.