PDA

View Full Version : Interesting

Jonnyboy
04-08-2009, 11:24 PM
:hmmm:

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Stuart-Bathgate-Riordan-must-prove.5523258.jp

iwasthere1972
04-08-2009, 11:44 PM

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Stuart-Bathgate-Riordan-must-prove.5523258.jp

Unless I have read the article wrongly then it looks like Deeks has been told to stop all the nonsense or else his days at Easter Road are numbered. Maybe the kick up the backside that he needs.

Or have I missed something?

BoltonHibee
04-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Given his all-too-apparent lack of interest in tracking back, Riordan does not appear to be integral to such a set-up.

This part for me is complete bull****, therefore I would view the rest of the story in the same manner.

NaeTechnoHibby
05-08-2009, 12:45 AM
BH, I agree with that sentiment and it was the real lack of sports journalism that struck me, as he has been tracking back :bitchy:

Mind you a striker tracking back is blooming liability :boo hoo: (unless they were trained that way, ala Cruyff, Bekenuaer etc :agree:

The article, other than that, is spot on IMO :agree:

Time to dust down those old 'golden days' boots and get oan with his job :thumbsup:

Please Derek, if you read this, don't waste it :agree:

RickyS
05-08-2009, 12:45 AM
This part for me is complete bull****, therefore I would view the rest of the story in the same manner.

spot on

Iain G
05-08-2009, 01:59 AM

Funny, thought it was a decent article and an interesting opinion!! :agree:

PaulSmith
05-08-2009, 05:46 AM

Personally I think that Stuart Bathgate's opinion, and that's all it is, is a load of single fish.

Anyone who has listened to John Hughes on Hibs TV will have noted that he has raved about Riordan and although admits that he doesnt always track back he thinks that he could shape the team around the most natural goalscorer in the SPL.

With regards to Riordan. He's a Hibs fan, a tremendous talent, plays for the club and is basically 'one of us'. Maybe it's time that we all got behind him and give him the support that might spur him onto 25 goals this season.

He may be a bad one in some peoples eyes but he's our bad one and as such he should get the support from all the Hibernian family.

Iain G
05-08-2009, 05:53 AM
Personally I think that Stuart Bathgate's opinion, and that's all it is, is a load of single fish.

Anyone who has listened to John Hughes on Hibs TV will have noted that he has raved about Riordan and although admits that he doesnt always track back he thinks that he could shape the team around the most natural goalscorer in the SPL.

With regards to Riordan. He's a Hibs fan, a tremendous talent, plays for the club and is basically 'one of us'. Maybe it's time that we all got behind him and give him the support that might spur him onto 25 goals this season.

He may be a bad one in some peoples eyes but he's our bad one and as such he should get the support from all the Hibernian family.

Does that go for Benji too then?

Steve-O
05-08-2009, 06:23 AM
I'm not really that bothered about the old tracking back argument if he does more going forward. I think he should, and can produce more up front. Yes he scored 12 last season, but this is a long way off his previous standards.

PaulSmith
05-08-2009, 06:23 AM
Does that go for Benji too then?

I don't think Benji could care less what support he gets from Hibs or Hibs fans to be honest but as soon as he steps into a Hibs shirt then he should be supported as much as anyone.

Derek Riordan does care what Hibs fans think and is definately 'one of us', therefore as 'one of us' he should be given the support of everyone connected with the club.

There's no way this particular Hibs fan will wash his hands of him for the benefit of the crazies that stuck mobiles in his face, provoke, kick and generally make him out to he Edinburgh's public enemy number 1.

Andy74
05-08-2009, 07:38 AM
I don't think Benji could care less what support he gets from Hibs or Hibs fans to be honest but as soon as he steps into a Hibs shirt then he should be supported as much as anyone.

Derek Riordan does care what Hibs fans think and is definately 'one of us', therefore as 'one of us' he should be given the support of everyone connected with the club.

There's no way this particular Hibs fan will wash his hands of him for the benefit of the crazies that stuck mobiles in his face, provoke, kick and generally make him out to he Edinburgh's public enemy number 1.

In what way has Benji showed that he doesn't care and Riordan showed he does??

Benji has been gulilty of being huffy now and again, criticising Mixu and then trying to leave when he was told he can go.

Riordan has been gulity of being huffy now and again, actually walking out on Hibs for nothing and constantly dragging Hibs name through the gutter due to his off field exploits.

There's no difference, it's just down to the fact that Benji didn't support hibs as a boy.

The way Benji is thought of here compared to Riordan is total hypocricy.

hibsbollah
05-08-2009, 07:40 AM
'Tracking back' is a device strikers use to conceal their inability to do their real job, ie-score goals. That pesky Gianluigi Vialli started it all. Discuss:duck:

Danderhall Hibs
05-08-2009, 08:14 AM
I'm not really that bothered about the old tracking back argument if he does more going forward. I think he should, and can produce more up front. Yes he scored 12 last season, but this is a long way off his previous standards.

'Tracking back' is a device strikers use to conceal their inability to do their real job, ie-score goals. That pesky Gianluigi Vialli started it all. Discuss:duck:

I don't think Riordan should have to track back. Same goes for Zemamma. Unless the guy's within 5 yards of them let someone else do it.

We've got a midfield full of guys that are there to graft (Rankin, Stevenson, McBride, Cregg, Bamba, Murray) - so let them graft and give the ball to the players that can do some damage. I don't want to see Riordan or Zemamma in his own half unless it's to defend a corner/free-kick. They're no good to us back there.

Let them do what they're good at and let the grafters do what they're good at.

PaulSmith
05-08-2009, 08:16 AM
In what way has Benji showed that he doesn't care and Riordan showed he does??

Benji has been gulilty of being huffy now and again, criticising Mixu and then trying to leave when he was told he can go.

Riordan has been gulity of being huffy now and again, actually walking out on Hibs for nothing and constantly dragging Hibs name through the gutter due to his off field exploits.

There's no difference, it's just down to the fact that Benji didn't support hibs as a boy.

The way Benji is thought of here compared to Riordan is total hypocricy.

Andy, I really respect you as a poster on here but to say that Benji cares about Hibs after his recent antics is well wide of the mark. Which part of lying about not having a visa, going behind the clubs back and 'signing' for another team and not turning up for pre-season training shows that he cares one iota about Hibernian FC. All of these issues have a direct result on what happens on the football pitch, whereas DR's recent issues are about Derek Riordan's personal life and therefore have an in-direct impact on the club and the football pitch. I see them as two different arguments IMO.

Riordan excerised to leave Hibs several years ago, it's been discussed a million times on here the rights and wrongs of such a move.

This is not about Benji though, this is about Riordan and giving him the full backing for reasons previously stated.

And yes I'll always back and give the benefit of the doubt and more backing to Riordan or any other Hibs fan because they are one of us.

As previously stated though as soon as Benji gets it and starts to play again for Hibs then he'll get mine and should get everyone elses backing

bawheid
05-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Andy, I really respect you as a poster on here but to say that Benji cares about Hibs after his recent antics is well wide of the mark. Which part of lying about not having a visa, going behind the clubs back and 'signing' for another team and not turning up for pre-season training shows that he cares one iota about Hibernian FC.

Riordan excerised to leave Hibs several years ago, it's been discussed a million times on here the rights and wrongs of such a move.

This is not about Benji though, this is about Riordan and giving him the full backing for reasons previously stated.
And yes I'll always back and give the benefit of the doubt and more backing to Riordan or any other Hibs fan because they are one of us.

Let's back both of them then, eh?

Both have left Hibs; both have come back; both have caused the club a few problems in their time; both have provided some fantastic moments; both are capable of improving the side.

I'll support both of them 100% if they're in the team.

IMO there is hypocricy on here with regards to Riordan and Benji.

Andy74
05-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Andy, I really respect you as a poster on here but to say that Benji cares about Hibs after his recent antics is well wide of the mark. Which part of lying about not having a visa, going behind the clubs back and 'signing' for another team and not turning up for pre-season training shows that he cares one iota about Hibernian FC. All of these issues have a direct result on what happens on the football pitch, whereas DR's recent issues are about Derek Riordan's personal life and therefore have an in-direct impact on the club and the football pitch. I see them as two different arguments IMO.

As previously stated though as soon as Benji gets it and starts to play again for Hibs then he'll get mine and should get everyone elses backing

You are amking some awfully big assumptions on whether Benji lied to the club and whether anyhting he done was behind the club's back.

I haven't seen anyhting on the website about Benji being disciplined by the cllub?

I have seen something about Derek being disciplined by the club.

What Derek gets up to does effec the club, whether it's on the park or off it. In that way he's shown he doesn't really care about the negative headlines the club will get from it. He also had a training session the next day whilst he spent the previous night in the cells.

You can talk it round any way you like but to me both deserve our support. Benji however gets abuse for things we don't really know much about whilst Derek has quite obviously done a few things that mess us about or reflect badly on us and that's allright.

Weir7
05-08-2009, 09:57 AM

Why did he let his contract run down so we can next to nothing when we shoudl have got millions?

Luna Landing
05-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Why did he let his contract run down so we can next to nothing when we shoudl have got millions?

Just for the record - as far as I am aware the offer to Deek was withdrawn by Tony Mowbray. By the time we got round to offering him another one he was already in the position where he could talk to other clubs so it wasnt his fault that Hibs got nothing for him.

On the broader topic of Deeks misdemeanours - I havent heard anyone suggesting he has been drunk or had a problem with alcohol so its a bit of a stretch to start implying he's an alcoholic . He definelty has questionable judgement on whose company he keeps when he goes out and he needs to learn how to behave in a more mature fashion when confronted with someone telling him he cant do something he wants to do . I'm sure the club could help by finding some behaviour counselling for him or a lifestyle coach but ultimately he needs to want to do it and I'm not sure he's there yet.

However, none of that can hide the fact that he cares about Hibs and with the possible exception of Zouma he is our best player by a mile.

PaulSmith
05-08-2009, 10:18 AM

Fair enough, there seems to be an attitude on here from some to just throw him to the wolves and let the crazies that hassle, spit, push, attack at everyone opportunity win. I'm sure the many Hearts fans would be delighted to force him out of Edinburgh because he is easily one of the best players that Hibs have.

We lost his talents once and I hope that it doesn't happen again.

Godsahibby
05-08-2009, 11:20 AM

Because he it toally innocent in all this, he never starts a thing!