PDA

View Full Version : scottish or english football

Sloppy
03-08-2009, 09:42 PM
which is better to watch excluding hibs

Greenway
03-08-2009, 10:45 PM

Excluding Hibs, and watching Hearts lose:greengrin, it's not really a fair fight. How 3 people voted for the SPL completely gobsmacks me.

The ELP has most of the best players in the world playing every week. How can that be a fair comparison with Falkirk v Hamilton, or Rangers v St Mirren. I would love to say our "two horse race" has the edge, but it clearly doesn't.

More people in Scotland pay to watch the EPL than the SPL, that gives you your answer. Simples....

TheEastTerrace
03-08-2009, 10:53 PM

Is this a serious question? There's no comparison. Why people continue to compare football in the two countries is beyond me. English football has the riches and power to attract the high quality players that Scotland will never have. Why do we not compare ourselves to similar size countries like Holland, Norway, etc?

NYHibby
04-08-2009, 04:14 AM
American football?

Just kidding ...

M8UDB
04-08-2009, 06:34 AM
12 votes for SPL and only 16 for EPL :confused: cant believe that for a minute, hate to say it but Scottish football dosnt compare to the English game. Sit down on a Saturday night to watch MOTD and you are guaranteed to see at least 1 peach of a goal, up here we are lucky to see a peach once a month!!!

RIP
04-08-2009, 06:36 AM
English football is as relevant to me as Irish Hurling or Australian Rules football

In a lifetime of watching Scottish Football I have never watched a single match of English football

Apart from when I lived in London I went to Highbury and Loftus Road

The_Todd
04-08-2009, 06:58 AM
English football is as relevant to me as Irish Hurling or Australian Rules football

In a lifetime of watching Scottish Football I have never watched a single match of English football

Apart from when I lived in London I went to Highbury and Loftus Road

About sums it up for me.

I simply don't care for "the best league in the world". Scottish football may be played at 200mph but it doesn't have to be pretty to be exciting.

Let the EPL spend itself to death. I couldn't care less.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-08-2009, 07:31 AM
In football terms England is a foreign country therefore there is no real point in making any comparison. I don't have an English team that I follow. I don't watch much EPL games and would rather watch the Championship. When you see the amount of foreign players and foreign investors in the EPL it is more suitable to call it the Premier League played in England rather than the EPL. I just wonder what will happen to it, when the rich boys want other play things.

Velma Dinkley
04-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Premiership games have generally been rather boring to watch in the past few seasons. The quality is obviously going to be better down there as they all have much more money but for excitement and surprise results I would prefer to watch the SPL. At least the Scottish teams try to score goals, even if they're not very good at it!

Dashing Bob S
04-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Take Hibs out the picture and I'm not that interested. English football at the end of the season euro games in the hope they get humped) Scottish football to revel in Hearts misfortunes.

libernian
04-08-2009, 09:54 AM
In football terms England is a foreign country therefore there is no real point in making any comparison. I don't have an English team that I follow. I don't watch much EPL games and would rather watch the Championship. When you see the amount of foreign players and foreign investors in the EPL it is more suitable to call it the Premier League played in England rather than the EPL. I just wonder what will happen to it, when the rich boys want other play things.

:agree: i prefer the championship also.

oh yeah n i voted spl not coz its "better" but because i'd rather watch it coz thats the country i live in.

Shaggy
04-08-2009, 10:27 AM
The EPL money is distroying the game down south,
The top level is world class but is way dominent over the rest of the pack, the only option for most is spoiling and defensive play... it isnt better to watch.
Their players are big stronger clubbers compared to us up here, but there is no flow and either one sided or stagnent chess being played... its kak.

It is a better balance of power up here, old infirm against the rest( they are beatable),
than it is down south.

Financially we do ok when you look at 5 million Vs 55million population market (including London, which is one of the worlds glamour capitals, which brings in international interest and money).

Scotland cant expect to be a financial football power,
I am just interested in seeing my team being capable of beating any team in our league, even the weakest teams can expect to take points from anyone.

SPL is best,
(but the country is only big enough for 24 pro teams and two leagues)

Joe Baker II
04-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Never watch English Premiership, do watch some other English games. Would take Scottish (and most other leagues for that matter) over English games

NOLA
05-08-2009, 10:01 AM
take hibs out of the equation then i wouldn't give the esspeell a look in, watching the usual suspects play hibs 4 times a season (at least) gets a bit mind numbing

Woody1985
05-08-2009, 06:27 PM
I wouldn't go out my way to watch any EPL game unless it involved team from the big 4 playing each other. Even then, I'd only go out my game if it was near the end of the season and the game was close.

P.S I don't have Sky. If I did, I'd probably watch bits and pieces of it but I wouldn't sit down and watch Sunderland vs Villa for example.