PDA

View Full Version : Exciting Week Ahead

Speedway
03-08-2009, 08:43 AM
We've got Stack due to be confirmed as our latest signing this week, we've got two games against quality opposition which will tell us more about what we can realistically expect this season, good and bad.

We've got something between a possibility/likelihood of new players being brought in which, because Yogi is seeing things the same way as the fans right now, will be filling spaces we need filling.

Then at the end of this week, we have but a few short days before it's time to get underway with the season proper.

Great times, great.

hibs0666
03-08-2009, 09:14 AM
I hope I'm wrong but I don't see any point at all in playing friendlies away from home against teams that are on a different planet from Hibs.

What do you learn when the ball is passed around you for 180 minutes?

With a bit of luck Blackburn and Bolton will play their stiffs, and we do not end up totally demoralised after two heavy defeats.

Speedway
03-08-2009, 09:19 AM
I hope I'm wrong but I don't see any point at all in playing friendlies away from home against teams that are on a different planet from Hibs.

With a bit of luck Blackburn and Bolton will play their stiffs, and we do not end up totally demoralised after two heavy defeats.

That's the spirit!

hibs0666
03-08-2009, 09:21 AM
That's the spirit!

That's the reality.

Two more games against teams like Preston would be much better preparation than playing two teams each with an annual wage bill nearing £40 million.

Speedway
03-08-2009, 09:23 AM
That's the reality.

Two more games against teams like Preston would be much better preparation.

Bolton and Blackburn are just like Preston. Only a few league places separating them.

hibs0666
03-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Bolton and Blackburn are just like Preston. Only a few league places separating them.

And a £30 million difference in wage bill. :wink:

Speedway
03-08-2009, 09:28 AM
And a £30 million difference in wage bill. :wink:

Which allowed Newcastle to show their superiority against Leyton Orient last week.

Steve20
03-08-2009, 09:30 AM
We've got something between a possibility/likelihood of new players being brought in which, because Yogi is seeing things the same way as the fans right now, will be filling spaces we need filling.

I really hope so. I wont hold my breath, though.

Velma Dinkley
03-08-2009, 09:34 AM
dundee utd drew with newcastle this weekend. anyway, JC did okay against premiership teams in the friendlies.

now that we've released some more players hopefully hughes can bring in a couple of players to improve the team before the season kicks off and we'll be raring to go.

smurf
03-08-2009, 01:30 PM
We've got Stack due to be confirmed as our latest signing this week, we've got two games against quality opposition which will tell us more about what we can realistically expect this season, good and bad.

Then at the end of this week, we have but a few short days before it's time to get underway with the season proper.

Great times, great.

Just about every week you post about the arrival of new faces... You'll eventually get it right... then again maybe not...

iwasthere1972
03-08-2009, 01:48 PM

So what do you propose? Who's to say that Bolton and Blackburn are going to have it all their own way. It's Bolton and Blackburn we're playing not Man U and Chelsea. I'd rather Hibs played against this quality of opposition than a run out against East Fife or Raith Rovers. It's also a great day out for the fans and so long as we don't make a fool of ourselves then the result will not matter too much. After all they are friendlies.

Roll on the start of the SPL season. Fingers crossed that we have a couple/few decent signings before then.

Gatecrasher
03-08-2009, 01:52 PM
its not often us hibees get a chance to go down south against the english teams, lets hope the players get a good run, yogi learns more about the squad and all the fans have a great day out :thumbsup:

sambajustice
03-08-2009, 01:54 PM
So what do you propose? Who's to say that Bolton and Blackburn are going to have it all their own way. It's Bolton and Blackburn we're playing not Man U and Chelsea. I'd rather Hibs played against this quality of opposition than a run out against East Fife or Raith Rovers. It's also a great day out for the fans and so long as we don't make a fool of ourselves then the result will not matter too much. After all they are friendlies.

Roll on the start of the SPL season. Fingers crossed that we have a couple/few decent signings before then.

Eh, Raith Rovers were gubbing us as well!!!

iwasthere1972
03-08-2009, 02:02 PM

Gubbing us. Think you'll find it was only 1-0 and only the thunderstorms and torrential rain saved them from a second half hiding. :agree:

From a fans perspective games against Blackburn and Bolton would be better received than playing teams in the Scottish 1st, 2nd or 3rd division - with a few exceptions.

Dashing Bob S
03-08-2009, 02:22 PM
We are a young team in transition again, but have nothing to fear at Bolton or Blackburn, both clubs which struggle to hold onto EPL status.

hibs0666
03-08-2009, 02:23 PM
So what do you propose?

Teams of the level of Preston are absolutely perfect opponents, not teams with a wage bill about £35 million higher than ours.

Long suffering
03-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Teams of the level of Preston are absolutely perfect opponents, not teams with a wage bill about £35 million higher than ours.

Celtic and Rangers are of similar ability to blackburn and bolton so it is reasonable prep for the SPL.

hibs0666
03-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Celtic and Rangers are of similar ability to blackburn and bolton so it is reasonable prep for the SPL.

Celtic and Rangers are not even close.

h18sfn
03-08-2009, 09:48 PM
:thumbsup:

LancashireHibby
03-08-2009, 09:53 PM
I'll give you Blackburn, but Rantic would get thumped by the Super Whites :cool2:

jgl07
03-08-2009, 09:57 PM
A Hibs team with two first choice players included were 1-0 down 45 seconds into the second half.

Does that count as a gibbing?

matty_f
03-08-2009, 10:28 PM
A Hibs team with two first choice players included were 1-0 down 45 seconds into the second half.

Does that count as a gibbing?

:agree: It was more or less all Hibs too. Wisnae like we had been under pressure the whole game and were going in to half time lucky to only be a goal down. We had a good goal wrongly chopped off, IMHO, and all the play was at the Raith end.

iwasthere1972
03-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Celtic and Rangers are not even close.

Although I am not an admirer of either Rangers or Celtic I would consider them to be equal or perhaps even better than Bolton and Blackburn despite the gulf in wages.

Should the day come when Hibernian FC turn down a friendly challenge match from either Bolton or Blackburn (or similar) in fear that they will be embarrassed it will be a sorry day for the club and the supporters. We may as well shut the doors and cease trading.

As I said before....bring it on. :agree:

shamo9
03-08-2009, 11:52 PM

Hibernian 3 Bolton Wanderers 0
Pre-Season Friendly
25th July 2007