PDA

View Full Version : Riordan Spends Night In Cells.

silverhibee
03-08-2009, 01:42 AM
According to todays Sun Riordan spent the night in the cells at the weekend after an incident up the town on Saturday night, alledgedly he gave some abuse to doormen outside a club and was arrested later on by L&Bs finest for not calming down with police.

rainman
03-08-2009, 02:20 AM
According to todays Sun Riordan spent the night in the cells at the weekend after an incident up the town on Saturday night, alledgedly he gave some abuse to doormen outside a club and was arrested later on by L&Bs finest for not calming down with police.

Very interesting.

Not the fact that the sun are reporting it, but the fact you are reporting that the sun are reporting it. :wink:

GreenCastle
03-08-2009, 02:37 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/article2568371.ece

zlatan
03-08-2009, 02:48 AM
I'm more concerned about how he appears to have been out on the lash in his Hibs training gear :hilarious

Couldn't give two hoots what these guys get upto off the pitch, so long as they do the job on the park then I'm a happy bunny.

Cameron1875
03-08-2009, 02:52 AM
the guy is going to have to take a reality check. Seems like he wants to self-destruct his football career.

Wouldnt want to face yogi on monday morning after this. :wink:

KWJ
03-08-2009, 03:21 AM
He just doesn't learn.

Steve-O
03-08-2009, 03:47 AM
How many times??

DEREK Riordan's bust-up is just his latest nightclub rammy - yet he claims he's being PICKED ON.

We told in August how Riordan got a one-year ban for hurling abuse at door staff at Edinburgh's Berlin Bierhaus.

It was doubled after he was spotted in nightspot Espionage a few weeks later.

And it was increased to five years in November after he was caught in the Hive venue.

But Riordan recently claimed: "I've been unfairly treated, I did nothing to get the ban. People think I'm badly behaved but players go out every week. Some get away with it, I don't. I'm in bed by 1am."

In August 2007, he was cleared in court of an assault at a pub in Edinburgh the previous December.

The bit in bold IMO is what needs to stop, EVERY week these guys are out on the bevvy, and probably more than once a week as well. It's no wonder that Scottish football is in the state it is when what this current lot seem to look forward to most on a Saturday is getting pished on George Street, rather than the football itself.

Not sure if Deeko is in bed by 1am every week, although since he's banned from everywhere, maybe that is the case! :greengrin

rainman
03-08-2009, 03:55 AM
How many times??

DEREK Riordan's bust-up is just his latest nightclub rammy - yet he claims he's being PICKED ON.

We told in August how Riordan got a one-year ban for hurling abuse at door staff at Edinburgh's Berlin Bierhaus.

It was doubled after he was spotted in nightspot Espionage a few weeks later.

And it was increased to five years in November after he was caught in the Hive venue.

But Riordan recently claimed: "I've been unfairly treated, I did nothing to get the ban. People think I'm badly behaved but players go out every week. Some get away with it, I don't. I'm in bed by 1am."

In August 2007, he was cleared in court of an assault at a pub in Edinburgh the previous December.

The bit in bold IMO is what needs to stop, EVERY week these guys are out on the bevvy, and probably more than once a week as well. It's no wonder that Scottish football is in the state it is when what this current lot seem to look forward to most on a Saturday is getting pished on George Street, rather than the football itself.

Not sure if Deeko is in bed by 1am every week, although since he's banned from everywhere, maybe that is the case! :greengrin

Agree 100%.

Whether he's getting into trouble or not, Scottish footballers need to wise up and drag themselves into the 21st century.

The days of drinking like a fish and still performing are gone. The drinking culture in Scottish football is no longer funny nor "groundbreaking". It's embarrassing and the results from Celtic, Motherwell, Aberdeen, Falkirk, Hibs and Hearts recently should have alarm bells ringing right the way through Scottish Football.

Hibs7
03-08-2009, 06:21 AM
He needs to screw the nut and quickly, he has undoubted talent but he isn't as good as he thinks he is, his prformance against a championship defence reinforced that, a talent yes but heading down the drain rapidly if this keeps up.
I would expect Hughes to sort him out as this could be his biggest challenge this year.

PiemanP
03-08-2009, 06:40 AM

So what :confused:

If he continues to play well for Hibs i couldnt care less what he does in his spare time.

Although looking at the sources for this article, id be fairly certain its a load of p*sh :rolleyes:

Wembley67
03-08-2009, 06:50 AM

If he continues to play well for Hibs i couldnt care less what he does in his spare time.

Although looking at the sources for this article, id be fairly certain its a load of p*sh :rolleyes:

Oh aye big pile o pish! He gets arrested and a fixed fine can't really see anything more conclusive than that.

Beefster
03-08-2009, 06:54 AM
I'm more concerned about how he appears to have been out on the lash in his Hibs training gear :hilarious

Couldn't give two hoots what these guys get upto off the pitch, so long as they do the job on the park then I'm a happy bunny.

I wouldn't be concerned if I thought that any relevant players performed to their potential most weeks. Riordan doesn't.

If it was a middle of the road player, who wasn't a lifelong Hibs fan, being constantly accused of doing the same stuff - say DVZ or Keenan - the majority of fans would want him punted.

Thecat23
03-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Guys this is true, he was lifted outside Bar Napoli shouting and swearing at the police. I only caught the tail end of it but the taxi driver who's cab i got in said he was going mental.

No idea what kicked it off and i haven't read the reports in the papers but he wasn't a happy man. This boy has bags of talent when will he learn if he is going out not to bite to abuse he gets. For me if he keeps doing this i can't see Yogi standing for it and he may well be shown the door sooner rather than later.

Riordon if your reading this screw your head and start performing on the pitch. Your one of the best goal scorers in the league and your throwing it away by going out with guys who are hell bent on getting you into bother. Sure they are your mates???

Joy Zipper
03-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Off the field, he is a total embarassment for the club.

skankomcphee
03-08-2009, 07:12 AM
His seemingly pathological desire to get into night clubs which he knows he is barred from is the most worrying bit for me. Time for some kind of therapy? This isn't a nineteen year old laddie anymore.

I've said it time and time again, on his wage he could easily fly down to London with his "mates" for a night out on a Saturday and blend into the crowd. Trouble is, he wouldn't be the "big man in town" in London at all and he wouldn't like that one bit. :bitchy:

Brizo
03-08-2009, 07:15 AM
I wouldn't be concerned if I thought that any relevant players performed to their potential most weeks. Riordan doesn't.

If it was a middle of the road player, who wasn't a lifelong Hibs fan, being constantly accused of doing the same stuff - say DVZ or Keenan - the majority of fans would want him punted.

:agree: Deeks ability and being a Hibbie cut him a lot of slack with us that others wouldnt get.

Hes been given the chance to resurrect his career at the club he supports and hes got a new manager who'd id have thouight he'd have been trying to impress with his off field attitude as much as his on field displays.

At 26 the hes just a young boy out enjoying himself defence doesnt cut it with me anymore. At this stage in his life and career id be expecting more maturity and an appreciation of his responsibilities but thats probably too much to ask for from Deek.

Oscar Lomax
03-08-2009, 07:28 AM

You are 18 and maybe you look up to guy's like Riordan as this is what the majority of youth's seem to be doing every weekend.
Riordan has been banned from every nightclub in town, warned as many time's but yet still goes out and put's himself in those situations. I can't believe it. He say's he's getting picked on but if he wasn't wandering around the streets looking to sneak into places then things would be fine.
He needs to keep his head down for a few years, grow up and start concentrating on playing well for Hibs as they gave him the chance off coming back.

Barney McGrew
03-08-2009, 07:31 AM
His seemingly pathological desire to get into night clubs which he knows he is barred from is the most worrying bit for me

The place he was trying to get in to is not part of the Unite scheme, so he wasn't barred from it.

A source close to the club said: "He's not got an official ban"

brog
03-08-2009, 07:45 AM
I'm an old fart & I have considerable sympathy for Deek. To my knowledge he has never been convicted of anything yet he's barred from clubs/pubs etc seemingly at random & for what seems to be an ever increasing period. It must be very frustrating for him to be out with friends & then to be stopped by some doorman for no good reason. Of course once you start arguing you automatically end up in the wrong & things can easily escalate from there.
Having said that I agree with all posters who decry our drink culture.

PS, it must also be frustrating for Deek to spend a Saturday afternoon playing up front beside a wardrobe! :wink:

Bob Box Fish
03-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Appears to be true - breach of the peace he was arrested for on Hannover st.

Hibs90
03-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Once he is refused entry to a place he should go away quieter. Either way its his own spare time. All I care about is if he produces the goods on a Saturday.

George Clooney
03-08-2009, 08:01 AM
All night club bouncers are Hearts fans.

FACT

Cabbage East
03-08-2009, 08:07 AM
Off the field, he is a total embarassment for the club.

Doesn't embarrass me.

A lot of this is exaggerated and hyped up in the gutter press which is mostly written by and for morons in any case.

I've seen and spoken to him up the town when he was supposed to have been 'hammered' etc and he was fine, not drunk at all. So I take a lot of this with a pinch of salt.

Not denying there's been a few incidents, obviously the guys got in a bit of bother now and again, but the amount of stick Deek gets off pished up jambos is unreal.

Instead of jumping the gun and sticking the boot in we should give the guy the benefit of the doubt and get behind him. The amount of folk taking the moral high ground and jumping on the bandwagon is unreal. After all he's one of the most talented players to have played for the cabbage for years, and he's also one of us.

Golden Bear
03-08-2009, 08:08 AM
There's been better players than Riordan whose careers have been over by the time they are thirty as a direct consequence of their lifestyles.

Methinks the all saintly deeks is fast tracking in the same direction.

Kojock
03-08-2009, 08:11 AM
The one thing that links all these incidents is alcohol. Deeks it appears is a total erse when full of the bevvy. FFS grow up your a 26 year old MAN not some silly teenager.

He states he is in bed by 1.00am so how come he was lifted at 2.40am :confused:

rainman
03-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Dereks a young laddie who is more than entitled to go out with is mates. We cant expect him not to have a social life at his age! The problem may lie in the fact that he is a well kent face and hated by a large proportion of the city (40,000 if reports are to be believed :rolleyes:) Because of his reputation and record he will be watched every step of the way and goaded into a reaction while a 'passing' policeman is just waiting to lift him.

He has 2 options - have no social life or leave edinburgh.

I think the problem lies somewhere in this line of thinking.

"We cant expect him not to have a social life at his age!"

Very true. But for guys like Riordan and in fact most people in Scotland, a "social life" = Drinking, pubs, nightclubs etc.

I'm sure the Arsenal team have excellent social lives. They're out with their family/friends, eating well at nice restaurants. They catch up with friends and have a laugh. Guys like Henry and the rest of Wenger's boys were mostly tee-total, they know exactly how to look after themselves but have excellent "social lives" as well.

The reason i chose Arsenal as an example is because in their prime with the likes of Henry and Viera, they had a very close knit team in which they all bonded well and were very close. Very obvious when you saw the whole team celebrating a goal. This blows away the myth in Scotland (endorsed by the Goram, McCoist, Gazza Rangers team) that you can only bond as a team by going out and getting smashed.

Hibs90
03-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Doesn't embarrass me.

A lot of this is exaggerated and hyped up in the gutter press which is mostly written by and for morons in any case.

I've seen and spoken to him up the town when he was supposed to have been 'hammered' etc and he was fine, not drunk at all. So I take a lot of this with a pinch of salt.

Not denying there's been a few incidents, obviously the guys got in a bit of bother now and again, but the amount of stick Deek gets off pished up jambos is unreal.

Instead of jumping the gun and sticking the boot in we should give the guy the benefit of the doubt and get behind him. The amount of folk taking the moral high ground and jumping on the bandwagon is unreal. After all he's one of the most talented players to have played for the cabbage for years, and he's also one of us.

Exactly. I've seen him a few times in town never really went to speak to him though as I generally talk alot of crap when I'm hammered.

Totally agree with your last paragraph.:agree:

GordonR
03-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Sounds like a good excuse to wheel this one out:

http://www.onlineshaversweekly.com/shaversweekly006.html

:greengrin

Twa Cairpets
03-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Doesn't embarrass me.

Whereas of course if he was a Hearts player you, me and everyone else on this board would have been ripping in to him for his behaviour, hyped-up or not.

He's a Hibby, fine. Doesnt stop him being a tool when he's out. Pretty much everyone other professional footballer appears to be able to manage their private lives effectively.

As for being one of the most talented players - undoubtedly. When he's on form, he's a joy to watch and worth the admission alone.

But he was also (one or two shots notwithstanding) utterly ineffective and anonymous on Saturday, petulant as always and taking no responsibiity for his own total inability to pass a football. This may be because he likes being out on the lash, or maybe its just because he had a poor game, but if it had been a Keenan or a DVZ, he would have been hunted on here this morning. Whatever the reason for him being banged up, getting arrested the night after a pitiful personal performance, a few days before much tougher friendlies that people are paying a lot of money to go and watch is - at the very least - irresponsible, and at worst disrespectful to supporters of the club.

I hope Yogi rips him a new one

Bishop Hibee
03-08-2009, 08:36 AM

:greengrin That was on the go when I was going up town regularly. Hand printed copies then mind.

As for Deek, he needs to get a grip or Hibs need to get him decent minders to keep him out of bother when he is up town.

oneone73
03-08-2009, 08:41 AM
I think the problem lies somewhere in this line of thinking.

"We cant expect him not to have a social life at his age!"

Very true. But for guys like Riordan and in fact most people in Scotland, a "social life" = Drinking, pubs, nightclubs etc.

I'm sure the Arsenal team have excellent social lives. They're out with their family/friends, eating well at nice restaurants. They catch up with friends and have a laugh. Guys like Henry and the rest of Wenger's boys were mostly tee-total, they know exactly how to look after themselves but have excellent "social lives" as well.

The reason i chose Arsenal as an example is because in their prime with the likes of Henry and Viera, they had a very close knit team in which they all bonded well and were very close. Very obvious when you saw the whole team celebrating a goal. This blows away the myth in Scotland (endorsed by the Goram, McCoist, Gazza Rangers team) that you can only bond as a team by going out and getting smashed.

:top marks And they have a team of young laddies who don't use their lack of years as excuses for not being athletes. He's 26, FFS, ten years into his professional career, and has one Scotland cap to show for it. What a waste.

Littlest Hobo
03-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Gone up toon in yer Hibs training gear? And carrying what looks like a nappy? Nae wonder he didny get in!:faf:

Go on deeks kick the **** oot they jamboid bouncers! ***** the lot o' thum!:greengrin

hibs0666
03-08-2009, 08:56 AM
We all need to remember that, if he wasn't a bit of a waster and did apply himself fully, he would be nowhere near Hibs.

SlickShoes
03-08-2009, 08:57 AM

Im worried that the sun are now calling football, "soccer"

Ritchie
03-08-2009, 09:00 AM
i saw deek in walkabout on saturday night.

he wasnt wearing training gear

silverhibee
03-08-2009, 09:03 AM

Brillant.:thumbsup:

scoopyboy
03-08-2009, 09:11 AM
My take on it.

Deek will know what boozers he is banned from and ones he isn't.

Going by sightings posted on here and across the road Walkabout is obviously one he frequents without any issues.

On Saturday / Sunday he has tried to get into a place he wasn't barred from.
No crime there.

Refused entry probably by a Jambo doorman and got a wee bit lippy.

Fined a fixed penalty of £40.

The justice system in this country seems to revolve round size of fines.

Deek fined less than using a mobile phone in a car or speeding, puts it into perspective for me.

Not clever and I wished he wouldn't do it but hardly crime of the century.

Not in Lee Wallace class.

Iain G
03-08-2009, 09:17 AM
I sometimes can't help but think that the re-signing of Derek Riordan will be one of the biggest mistakes of Mixu's time managing Hibs, he has had half a season to get back into it after his career stalled badly at Celtic and yet he is still out and about on a weekend in Edinburgh getting himself into trouble.

He doesn't seem to realise that he needs to get his head down and work on his game, at current rate he will never fullfill his potential as a footballer, he is paid handsomly to be a professional athlete but doesn't seem to have the brains to realise that this short career of his is more than halfway through and he has to make the most of it while he still can or will go down in history as another of the great white Scottish hopes who threw it away and never made it.

Hope Yogi can get him to sort his head out, somehow I doubt it somehow though and he is too far down that track to change his ways, shame.

bingo70
03-08-2009, 09:21 AM
My take on it.

Going by sightings posted on here and across the road Walkabout is obviously one he frequents without any issues.

No crime there.

Deek fined less than using a mobile phone in a car or speeding, puts it into perspective for me.

Hardly an excuse, i think everyone at some point ha sprobably been knocked back for one ridiculous reason or another, (too drunk when your clearly not, too many guys in the bar already, place is too busy when it's clearly not etc...) the vast majority of people, especially 26 year old's walk away, very few get to the stage of being charged for breach of the peace, considering Riordans profile, career and reputation he should know better than most to just walk away.

My concern is that it's a matter of time till he's lippy to the wrong person who does him some damage, there's a lot of bams up the town these days and the more stories like these that come out the bigger target he'll become, he needs to cut out going up the town for a good while IMO.

maturehibby
03-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Was he at the public training session on Sunday at ER ?.
If so I bet his heid would be nipping after a session on the park and a few words from Mr Hughes

greenlex
03-08-2009, 09:53 AM

How much of it is true and what bits are pish?

hibs0666
03-08-2009, 09:59 AM
141 guests on this thread - you'd think the yam fuds would be spending their valuable time discussing their exciting new forward line, or be online buying their discounted new strip the colour of blooded turd.

basehibby
03-08-2009, 10:19 AM
A bit of perspective needed here. Evidently having had a few bevies he's been knocked back at Garibaldis - where he would have presumably expected to get in without a problem - and has let the bouncer know exactly what he thinks of him - something I've been guilty of myself in the past. Not big or clever but perhaps understandable in the circumstances.

Then the cops come along and he continues letting rip - now that was not clever at all, but maybe a sign of the frustration of being (as he sees it) victimised by the Edinburgh bouncer community.

So - is it a Yam conspiracy? Are all the the bouncers in Edinburgh of the root vegetable persuasion??? The intelligence of some of them would certainly mark them out as prime candidates - over to you Sherlock!

silverhibee
03-08-2009, 10:22 AM
One witness who asked not to be named.:confused:
I will name him. Casper the Ghost.:greengrin
A police source added. :blah::blah::blah:.
Whats a police source, and do they just give out information about anything on anybody.:confused:
Grand Cru refused to comment. :dizzy:
Why. confirm what the nightclub source said, he is not welcome in here. simple.
And this makes the front page, not the two people killed on Scotlands roads at the weekend, or a soldier badly hurt driving an Army land rover at Balmoral, or Police force to axe jobs,:greengrin.
Scottish Rag Of The Year. Joke of a paper.

hibbiedon
03-08-2009, 10:24 AM
A bit of perspective needed here. Evidently having had a few bevies he's been knocked back at Garibaldis - where he would have presumably expected to get in without a problem - and has let the bouncer know exactly what he thinks of him - something I've been guilty of myself in the past. Not big or clever but perhaps understandable in the circumstances.

Then the cops come along and he continues letting rip - now that was not clever at all, but maybe a sign of the frustration of being (as he sees it) victimised by the Edinburgh bouncer community.

So - is it a Yam conspiracy? Are all the the bouncers in Edinburgh of the root vegetable persuasion??? The intelligence of some of them would certainly mark them out as prime candidates - over to you Sherlock!

Maybe if he threatened to shoot them then that would be ok or is that only jambos, lets get things into perspective. What really gets to me is when it happens to them its kept quiet but if its Deeks then its front page news, get a life & let him have one as well

half.time.draw.
03-08-2009, 10:24 AM
I Know a few bouncers and they admit they enjoy winding Deeks up:wink:

GreenPJ
03-08-2009, 10:25 AM
My take on it.

No crime there.

No crime there as you say, also no crime in pubs/doorman refusing entry to anyone. It was presumably 2:00 am in the morning, how many times are pubs really going to let a group of guys into their pubs at that time if they show any signs of drunkeness.

I can't believe that these things get blown out of proportion but at the same time I can't believe people try to justify the behaviour (again) just because its Deek.

Let the clube slap him with a warning that any other incident this season will incur a severe financial penalty and two more strikes and you are in the reserves for 2 months.

sleeping giant
03-08-2009, 10:32 AM

:faf:

Andy74
03-08-2009, 10:34 AM
I sense that Deek's behavioural issues get a bit more leeway here than say Benji's?

I've seen Benji's attitude slated on here for the last few months and I must admit I'm not that sure i've seen any evidence of it and I don't really know the background to him given permission not to report back or otherwise.

Surely though maybe telling Evans to get lost, questioinig the tactics of Mixu and having a huffy night v Queens Park still doesn't add up the unprofessionalism and the continual dragging of the the club's name through the gutter that Deek provides us with?

Once or twice yes we can all say we've been there and behaved badly but for a well paid high profile club employee to continually be getting involved doesn't say much for his regard of the what it means to be playing for hibs.

I just find it interesting the way we can defend some behaviours for a local lad and yet Benji is just a bit huffy sometimes and he's a disgrace.

sleeping giant
03-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Doesn't embarrass me.

Why throw that comment in ?

Too much snobbery on this board for my liking. Whether it be council houses , newspapers or religious beliefs:bitchy:

Cabbage East
03-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Why throw that comment in ?

Too much snobbery on this board for my liking. Whether it be council houses , newspapers or religious beliefs:bitchy:

Because it's my opinion? :dunno:

JimBHibees
03-08-2009, 10:43 AM
I sense that Deek's behavioural issues get a bit more leeway here than say Benji's?

I've seen Benji's attitude slated on here for the last few months and I must admit I'm not that sure i've seen any evidence of it and I don't really know the background to him given permission not to report back or otherwise.

Surely though maybe telling Evans to get lost, questioinig the tactics of Mixu and having a huffy night v Queens Park still doesn't add up the unprofessionalism and the continual dragging of the the club's name through the gutter that Deek provides us with?

Once or twice yes we can all say we've been there and behaved badly but for a well paid high profile club employee to continually be getting involved doesn't say much for his regard of the what it means to be playing for hibs.

I just find it interesting the way we can defend some behaviours for a local lad and yet Benji is just a bit huffy sometimes and he's a disgrace.

Tend to agree. Screw the nut. Go out in Newcastle/Glasgow wherever he obviously has a reputation in Edinburgh for trouble whether justified or not. Or heres a novel one stay in and make sure you are in great nick for the start of the season.

Perspective
03-08-2009, 10:44 AM

Agreed.

I didn't want Derek back in the first place. I think he's a disgrace to the club and his profession, despite his wonderful natural talent.

sleeping giant
03-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Because it's my opinion? :dunno:

So anyone who reads that paper is a moron ?
Am i getting this right ?

Dashing Bob S
03-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Yes, lets get rid of him and fill the side and the game with...y-a-w-n...model pros.

Perspective
03-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Yes, lets get rid of him and fill the side and the game with...y-a-w-n...model pros.

Maybe you're content to languish in the dark ages but the game has moved on.

Why should the club spend good money on sports science and nutrition (two cornerstones of John Hughes' philosophy) only for Riordan to Nish it up against a wall.

I'm sick of this guy being indulged when he's stealing a wage from Hibs.

He might be the most gifted in the squad, by far, but unless he's giving it his all then he's selling himself and us short.

Baldy Foghorn
03-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Agreed.

I didn't want Derek back in the first place. I think he's a disgrace to the club and his profession, despite his wonderful natural talent.

Pretty much my thoughts too....

Never wanted him back, after he did the dirty on the club "he loved"....

No doubting he is a great talent, but he is a lazy lazy player, and his off field antics are pathetic.......

Barrylavety
03-08-2009, 11:18 AM
All night club bouncers are Hearts fans.

FACT

:thumbsup:

davym7062
03-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Tend to agree. Screw the nut. Go out in Newcastle/Glasgow wherever he obviously has a reputation in Edinburgh for trouble whether justified or not. Or heres a novel one stay in and make sure you are in great nick for the start of the season.

totally agree jim. why is he trying to get in a boozer at 3 in the morning? he was working on the sunday at the hibs open day. needs to get a grip

Booked4Being-Ugly
03-08-2009, 11:19 AM

Why should the club spend good money on sports science and nutrition (two cornerstones of John Hughes' philosophy) only for Riordan to Nish it up against a wall.

He might be the most gifted in the squad, by far, but unless he's giving it his all then he's selling himself and us short.Perspective? says it all really. Yes it's disappointing but ffs there's no need to burn the witch. We don't even know the whole story. Some of the comments on here are way OTT.

Weir7
03-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Was he at the public training session on Sunday at ER ?.
If so I bet his heid would be nipping after a session on the park and a few words from Mr Hughes

he didint look to hot especially when he couldn't hit the crossbar.

Why was he still out at 2.40am when he had training that day?

hibsbollah
03-08-2009, 11:23 AM
This story will get the yams all sweaty and bothered about 'Hobo shame' etc. For that reason alone its good news:thumbsup:

Baldy Foghorn
03-08-2009, 11:24 AM
This story will get the yams all sweaty and bothered about 'Hobo shame' etc. For that reason alone its good news:thumbsup:

Yes great, one of our players in constantly involved with the police......

What a wonderful ambassador for Hibernian:grr:

hibsbollah
03-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Why was he still out at 2.40am when he had training that day?

Its only training. I bet noone on this thread has gone out drinking the day before work:bitchy:

hibsbollah
03-08-2009, 11:25 AM

I like the players that represent my club being able to handle themselves in a fight and drink a lot.

Baldy Foghorn
03-08-2009, 11:26 AM
I like the players that represent my club being able to handle themselves in a fight and drink a lot.

Good for you....... Not sure Deek can handle himself in a fight, as his mates usually step in for him??

Weir7
03-08-2009, 11:27 AM
In my view Hibs should be helping Derek with his problem

As someone who foolishly chronicled Derek's 12 previous alleged incidents / brushes with the law on Hibs.Net I can't believe I was missing something.

Why do almost all Deek's problems seem to occur between midnight and 3 am? Is it because he is desperate to go dancing? Or is it that he can only hope to find the love of his life in a club at 2 am?

Or could it be that he needs to drink until the last bar in town is closed? Was this not the same problem that George Best had, that Gazza had. Is it possible that Derek has the early signs of an addiction problem? He is OK without a drink but once he has the first one his behaviour changes?

There is no doubt that his fitness has been an issue for several years and on Saturday, despite showing sublime skill, was struggling to keep up with the team when we went on a fast break. The full story of what went on at Celtic will never be known but their fans could never understand why he didn't work out under Strachan - who I'm told was a real admirer of Derek's talents.

DR's on field behaviour has also started to appear increasingly erratic - the moaning, arm waving, shoulder shrugs and dodgy fouls pointing to an apparent poor attitude. However this could equally point to a problem with emotional control caused by other health worries.

Derek is a Hibby through and through and now needs the football club to back his loyalty with the support he needs to overcome his demons.

What loyalty?

When Deek signed for Celtic was it reported he was prepared to be out of the game for a few months until he reached 24........so he could have signed as a free agent.

Loyalty for me would be telling the clubs I love .......... I wont be signing a new deal and the Club then make the decision to sell him before his contract is up and get a fee the fitted his talent............ a few million quid

Perspective
03-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Perspective? says it all really. Yes it's disappointing but ffs there's no need to burn the witch. We don't even know the whole story. Some of the comments on here are way OTT.

People in this country constantly bemoan the state of our game in comparison to other (often poorer) countries but don't bother to appreciate why that is the case.

Even overlooking the hours of dedication on the technical front, there is a completely different application to the diet and fitness side of things. Over here it's referred to as 'sacrifice', when really it's just a better way of living and looking after yourself.

And I fail to see how those who do adhere to a professional way of living are automatically bores lacking in character. I've seen Maka referred to as the fittest player at Hibs and no-one could accuse him of lacking character (bright, bubbly, a stand-out with the young supporters).

What is Riordan's character that people speak so fondly of? Childish, petulant gestures to away fans who have successfully riled him? Selling his team-mates short by not tracking back? For me, that's not character. Character is Chris Hogg being man enough to face the East Stand on his own to talk to the fans after a defeat.

I know I'm in a vast minority. But I can't be the only one who wants more from AND FOR Derek? You can't tell me he wouldn't be happier knuckling down, making the most of his gift and being a stick-on for Scotland.

bingo70
Its only training. I bet noone on this thread has gone out drinking the day before work:bitchy:

Hardly the same is it, he's a professional sportsman, so he therefore has to make more sacrifices, which is one of the reasons he gets paid considerably more than most on this message board.

I know if my work told me i had to give up going out and bevvying i'd tell them to ram it, however if my work told me i was going to start earning thousands a week and instead of doing real work i'd have to play football for a few hours every day i'd bite their hands off at the offer.

Golden Bear
Do we know for certain that it was a "Jambo doorman"? From what I read, it looks as though deeks was given ample opportunity to screw the heid, refused to do so and was lifted thereafter.

Seems as though the laddie is his own worst enemy ----- the only trouble being he is no longer a laddie.

Cod Boy
03-08-2009, 11:30 AM
if deek spent the same energy trying to get into nightclubs on the the football pitch we would be ok

JimBHibees
03-08-2009, 11:33 AM
totally agree jim. why is he trying to get in a boozer at 3 in the morning? he was working on the sunday at the hibs open day. needs to get a grip

says it all, stinking attitude

ScottB
03-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Honestly, dogs learn faster than Deeks it would seem.

Every time he does this he does nothing but make things worse for himself. Why he continues to keep trying to go out when he's either banned from everywhere or his new found reputation keeps him out of the rest.

He seems to do nothing to try and fix this for himself and everytime he pulls this brings him closer to a potential situation where something serious happens.

Had he screwed the nut after the first ban he'd be back enjoying the same access as the rest of us. Lets drop this 'oh he's just having fun' or 'he's just a wee laddie' he's a 26 year old man who behaves like a spoilt brat in nightclubs, I was at the Hive when he was ejected from the premises. Hopefully Yogi is the one who thumps some sense into him.

hibbiedon
03-08-2009, 11:41 AM

I have seen him with younger supporters and he is a great ambassador for the club, of course people who rely on the sun for their character references will have a diferent opinion:thumbsup:

Baldy Foghorn
03-08-2009, 11:43 AM
I have seen him with younger supporters and he is a great ambassador for the club, of course people who rely on the sun for their character references will have a diferent opinion:thumbsup:

Yes what a role model for kids, always getting into trouble with the police...

hibsbollah
03-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Good for you....... Not sure Deek can handle himself in a fight, as his mates usually step in for him??

According to whom?

Benny Brazil
03-08-2009, 11:44 AM

What a ridiculous comment.
So training for a footballer is unimportant? No need to work on tactics, team shape, fitness, ball control etc then Yogi just tell them to go out and get pissed as long as they are ok for match day.
They guy could be doing with staying back at training to work more on his fitness at least.

Houchy
03-08-2009, 11:45 AM
My take on it.

No crime there.

:agree::top marks

Baldy Foghorn
03-08-2009, 11:46 AM
According to whom?

Forget it, cant be bothered trying to explain to you.... You are happy to see him involved in bother, many others are not so happy with his behaviour

hibsbollah
03-08-2009, 11:48 AM
What a ridiculous comment.
So training for a footballer is unimportant? No need to work on tactics, team shape, fitness, ball control etc then Yogi just tell them to go out and get pissed as long as they are ok for match day.
They guy could be doing with staying back at training to work more on his fitness at least.

:thumbsup:Thats pretty much my take on it:thumbsup:Training should be fun, and still feeling half cut during it can only help.

Kaiser_Sauzee
03-08-2009, 12:14 PM
:thumbsup:Thats pretty much my take on it:thumbsup:Training should be fun, and still feeling half cut during it can only help.

:troll:

blackpoolhibs
03-08-2009, 12:16 PM

:top marks:faf::faf:

iwasthere1972
03-08-2009, 12:19 PM

That part puzzles me as well. Why he's got his pants in a bag also worries me.

I do disagree that he should be allowed to do what he wants so long as he does his job on the park. All Hibs players are ambassadors for the club and Deeks should at 26 years of age know how to behave himself in public. What if Rodders and Yogi (highly unlikely of course) were out on the lash and got arrested and locked up for the night for breach of the peace of similar. Would that be okay so long as they were doing there job? Don't think so. Deeks and all other Hibs players should be acting like professionals and not dragging the good name of Hibernian FC through the mud because they can't behave themselves when out for a drink.

Message for Deeks - Grow up and start acting your age because your football career will be over before you know it. Plenty of time to get pished when you have hung up your boots.

Rant over. :grr:

NOLA
03-08-2009, 12:20 PM
abusing the police when they asking you to calm down and go home isn't the smartest thing todo whatever time it is, i should know:boo hoo:

hibbiedon
03-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Yes what a role model for kids, always getting into trouble with the police...

"Always getting into trouble with the police" I assume you are privvy to his record or have a copy of a disclosure form relating to him . I knew that he was involved several times with city bouncers but did not realise that they were undercover police officers

Biggie
03-08-2009, 12:32 PM
JHC Rears, have yea no got a bird that can have you tucked up in bed at that time of the morning ?...have a word son....there must be a couple of hotties around pilton you could pull....

Seiously, not good enough, plenty chances..this is yogi's first real test dealing with the blue-eyed boy.

Oscar Lomax
03-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Lets be honest here, Riordan aint the sharpest tool in the box. He needs to get some new mates and drop the hangers-on and stay away from the city centre late at night, especially weekends. As somebody said previously, take alcohol out of the equasion and he would not be getting himself into these petty and foolish situations.
If he has a problem with alcohol, thats a different mater. If this is the case, im sure hibs will stand by him and help him. Personally, I cant say i care for him as a person. He is a good player but really needs to screw the nut. As I said, if it is alcohol, I really feel sorry for him as once it get's a grip its hard to leave it alone.

Captain Trips
03-08-2009, 12:37 PM
My take on this is that if it had been say Joe Keenan a lot more folk would be saying his off field antics should have him transferred.

I will admit that if it was a player whom I didnt rate I would be looking for them to be sold if all said and done had occured, very unfair but that IMO is how a lot of people may think and I will admit it is the case for me.

DR has not been the best off the pitch in fact its all been rather poor, but due to IMO his ability on it then I want him to stay, this is unfair on some players whom I would sell for it. I am interested in the 90mins and what players will do, he is one I would rather have than not.

I do not condone any of the behaviour at all I would rather none of it happened but this is the way things go and end of the day its unfair if say I will tolerate DRs behaviour off park and say Rankin did same I would want rid, you look for any excuse to get rid of players you dont like and defend those you do.

Im interested in Hibs winning and as long as I feel that a player will do a job and they get involved in incidents "I" deem not serious then I will want them to play for Hibs.

iwasthere1972
03-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Lets be honest here, Riordan aint the sharpest tool in the box. He needs to get some new mates and drop the hangers-on and stay away from the city centre late at night, especially weekends. As somebody said previously, take alcohol out of the equasion and he would not be getting himself into these petty and foolish situations.
If he has a problem with alcohol, thats a different mater. If this is the case, im sure hibs will stand by him and help him. Personally, I cant say i care for him as a person. He is a good player but really needs to screw the nut. As I said, if it is alcohol, I really feel sorry for him as once it get's a grip its hard to leave it alone.

Deeks has no problem with Alcohol - In fact I would go as far to say that he loves the stuff...can't get enough of it. :greengrin

zlatan
03-08-2009, 12:43 PM

Mentioned this on the Private board but didn't word it as well as this, well said squire.

Booked4Being-Ugly
03-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Mentioned this on the Private board but didn't word it as well as this, well said squire.Aye right enough, the only difference between Deeks and Benji is that Deeks drinks and Benji doesn't even show up for pre-season training! Not much between them really!

GreenCastle
03-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Food for thought.....

Why is he up town at 2.40am before work (training the next day) ?

Why didn't his mates step in as soon as he became a bit more loud ?

Will he ever learn that he is a well known face around George Street area and the bouncers know who he is. Why not go down South to Newcastle or wherever.

Does he want to play for Scotland and think incidents like this will help his cause?

Does he care for Hibs and want our name dragged through the front pages of the paper ? (crap newspaper or not).

If alcohol related - can Hibs put a ban a players drinking during the season. It certainly isn't making them play any better.

Danderhall Hibs
03-08-2009, 01:18 PM
If alcohol related - can Hibs put a ban a players drinking during the season. It certainly isn't making them play any better.

JC didn't ban alcohol but suggested it might not be in their best interests to drink. Look at what happened next...

iwasthere1972
03-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Mentioned this on the Private board but didn't word it as well as this, well said squire.

So are you condoning what Deeks gets up to in his own time or not? It's just that your earlier post contradicts what you are now agreeing with. :confused:

bingo70
03-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Food for thought.....

Why is he up town at 2.40am before work (training the next day) ?

Why didn't his mates step in as soon as he became a bit more loud ?

Will he ever learn that he is a well known face around George Street area and the bouncers know who he is. Why not go down South to Newcastle or wherever.

Does he want to play for Scotland and think incidents like this will help his cause?

Does he care for Hibs and want our name dragged through the front pages of the paper ? (crap newspaper or not).

something harry redknapp said he is going to do with spurs this season and i'd love hibs to do the same thing.

Sir David Gray
03-08-2009, 01:27 PM
If this is true, it's extremely disappointing to be honest.

I think Riordan's biggest problem is that he still feels as if he's 18. But he isn't 18 anymore, he's a 26 year old MAN and he really needs to grow up a bit.

Whether or not he's being picked on by other "revellers" or Jambo bouncers is largely irrelevant. As a professional athlete, I don't believe that he should be drinking alcohol, especially when he is working the next again day. Also, whether Riordan likes it or not, he is a very well known and controversial figure in Edinburgh and there are certain people who dislike him intensely and they will know his reputation and try to get a reaction from Riordan and his pals.

Don't get me wrong, I like Derek Riordan and I was delighted last year when I heard he had come back, but some of his off-field antics really aren't good enough.

I totally agree with those that are saying that we (myself included) cut Riordan much more slack than others, such as Van Zanten and Keenan, would get if they were getting up to the same "extra curricular activities" that Riordan gets up to and that is wrong.

By the time they reach 26, someone with Riordan's natural skill and ability really should be playing for a decent English Premiership side and they should also have about 30 international caps.

The fact that Derek Riordan still plays for Hibs and has just the one Scotland appearance to his name is really sad. I think (or at least hope) that in 15-20 years time, long after he has retired, Derek Riordan will look back on his career with many regrets and think to himself, "if only...".

iwasthere1972
03-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Not picking on you IWT72 but I reckon this is a problem we fans should now be taking very seriously indeed. Less for fear of losing a very talented footballer - more out of concern for the man.

That's okay - If you read my earlier post you will see my real views on the matter. Deeks has probably 6 or 7 years left in football and it will be a distant memory before he knows it. At the age of 26 you would think that he would know better. After all he's not a wee daft laddie anymore...or is he?

New Corrie
03-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Firstly, Deek is my favourite player, but I do fear that in 15 years time he will not have a pot to piss in and will be in pubs relaying tales of what might have been. Falkirk Hibee is spot on...26 and still playing for Hibs...A player with his talent should really have been an established Premiership player by now. I really hope that I am wrong, but I think we will still be having these coversations when Deek is 32 and plying his trade with East Fife. Hope I am wrong!!!!

lyonhibs
03-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Off the pitch, time and time again, Riordan lets himself - and the club - down. If he didn't have a great footballing brain, he'd be on the scrapheap of dole-junkie neds, as he appears to share the same attitude problems they do. As mentioned above, he's 26 FFS. Without wanting to sound like Blobby Williamson, maybe it's time he settled down, instead of trying to cling to his late teens, when this sort of behaviour was the norm. He's roughly the same age as Murray, and older than Hogg, yet only 1 of those 3 persists in acting nearer his shoe size than his age, and it's getting really, REALLY frustrating.

A god-given talent, but his attitude appears to be of the "Frank Gallagher from Shameless" variety, which means - sadly - that I doubt his talent will ever be put to best use, be it for Hibs, Scotland or at a higher level.

zlatan
03-08-2009, 01:59 PM
So are you condoning what Deeks gets up to in his own time or not? It's just that your earlier post contradicts what you are now agreeing with. :confused:

I couldn't give a flying fig, likewise if Benji came back and started showing us what he's capable of on the park then all this current piffle would be quickly forgotten. What I agreed with that post and a couple of others is how because it's Riordan some would pull the wool over their own eyes over it but the same people may of branded Benji a disgrace for going awol when it's no worse than getting the jail for a night.

Forgiving and forgetting is all the rage right now for us Hibs fans :wink:

Perspective
03-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Oscar I hope you are right but my instincts tell me that some employers aren't so well educated about Employee Support as they should be.

I think Hibs would be fine on that front. Did the current board not bend over backwards to help Grant Brebner with his issues?

Petrie and Lindsay must be sick of this, particularly with the number of times they have had to sign their own names to apologies on the official website.

I don't know whether John Hughes has one already or not (I suspect he does), but as a club it's time we publicly issued a clear player code of conduct to make clear what we expect from them on and off the pitch - with no exceptions, regardless of ability.

It's hard to enforce an alcohol ban. You have to rely on the players behaving like grown men and as we saw with Scotland recently that's not always a given. What you can do through the season is regularly monitor body fat levels and record performance times in training (sprints etc) to monitor someone's performance. I can't imagine Riordan's stats make for great reading.

Dashing Bob S
03-08-2009, 02:18 PM

He might be the most gifted in the squad, by far, but unless he's giving it his all then he's selling himself and us short.

...from the era of Law, Bremner, Baxter, Johnstone, Dalglish, Stanton, Souness, Strachan etc to, well, I won't even mention the current Scotland stars because I can't bring any to mind.

I'm not saying ability and talent is a blank cheque to do what you like but gifted players are at a premium and have to their capriciousness accomodated, even indulged, up to a point. Ferguson recognised that with Cantona, Stein with Johnstone, Willie Hamilton etc etc. The point is that it's the manager's call when the player crosses the line and adversely effects dressing room morale. I think most Hibs players would realise that DR is something of a marked man in E'burgh. Yes, it's up to him to 'rise above it', like a model pro. But then again, nobody ever bothered winding up someone who had nothing going for them.

Until then, we can only dream of a team of Brian Kerr's.

Perspective
03-08-2009, 02:27 PM
...from the era of Law, Bremner, Baxter, Johnstone, Dalglish, Stanton, Souness, Strachan etc to, well, I won't even mention the current Scotland stars because I can't bring any to mind.

I'm not saying ability and talent is a blank cheque to do what you like but gifted players are at a premium and have to their capriciousness accomodated, even indulged, up to a point. Ferguson recognised that with Cantona, Stein with Johnstone, Willie Hamilton etc etc. The point is that it's the manager's call when the player crosses the line and adversely effects dressing room morale. I think most Hibs players would realise that DR is something of a marked man in E'burgh. Yes, it's up to him to 'rise above it', like a model pro. But then again, nobody ever bothered winding up someone who had nothing going for them.

Typically boring Brian Kerr jibe aside, I think it's the people who indulge Riordan that perpetuate the problem. If someone (like I believe Hughes will) took a hard line with him then at long last he might see sense.

At 26 I don't expect it to ever sink in with him.

Gatecrasher
03-08-2009, 02:27 PM

:hilarious
if you thought the fine from the police was bad - wait till the fashion police come :take that

blackpoolhibs
03-08-2009, 02:29 PM

:top marks :agree: Its also easy to have a go at a player, especially when you did not want him there in the 1st place.

Perspective
03-08-2009, 02:36 PM
:top marks :agree: Its also easy to have a go at a player, especially when you did not want him there in the 1st place.

Just to clarify, if he had come back from Celtic like a person with a point to prove then I'd have been delighted. But I didn't think he had that streak in him.

He's clearly our most talented player. I'd go as far as to say that he's the best natural talent in Scotland, blessed with two great feet, a lovely first touch and vision. He's head and shoulders above everyone else in that respect.

I'll rephrase my point. Don't Riordan's backers want more for him as a player and a person? Don't they believe he'd be happier if he was doing more with his God-given gift?

No player is bigger than the club. We should be a force for good in the community, promoting health and sound role models for younger fans.

Baldy
03-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Doesn't embarrass me.

I am another that has seen him on numerous nights out and have only seen him drunk once and it was not during the season, and lets be honest most of the people who cause the bother with him are wee idiots trying to make a name for themselves

Deek gets a hard time from lots of people but usually walks away but I for one wouldn't like to be getting grief All the time on a night out and that includes some of our own "fans" - deek does sign Autographs and talk to hibees but sometimes he just wants A quiet night And to be left alone and not pestered (that doesn't make him billy big shot as some people make out - it just makes him human)

Beefster
03-08-2009, 03:12 PM

The vast majority of the players you mention performed at the highest level, either club or international. Hence why they were indulged.

As much as I like Riordan as a player, when on form, he's not in the same league as anyone in your post.

hibsbollah
03-08-2009, 03:14 PM
I'd be interested as to what Derek is supposed to be doing with his weekends now he's reached the Harry Patch-like old age of 26.

Yoga? Ornithology? Building a scale model of the Eifell Tower with matchsticks? Perhaps some of the puritans among us could enlighten me?:devil:

Or perhaps another question; Since Scottish/British 'yoof' culture is all about getting off your face as spectacularly as possible as often as possible, how is Hibernian FC as an organisation supposed to insulate our young stars from this reality? Or are footballers not part of society?

bawheid
03-08-2009, 03:22 PM
I've never seen so many ridiculously over-the-top posts on one thread in my entire life!

Did I read the story right? He did just get a £40 fine for shouting at the polis, yeah? He's not murdered anyone, has he?

Barney McGrew
03-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Has nobody on here experienced or had a close friend or relative with an addiction problem? I sadly have and I'm seeing history repeating itself with Derek. Unlike the rest of us DR's decline is being acted out in the full glare of media publicity.

Doesn't it make you wonder what support he is getting from those around him?

There's nothing in todays article that mentions him having been drinking or being under the influence of alcohol as far as I can see.

Don't let that stop anyone jumping to conclusions though.

I've never seen so many ridiculously over-the-top posts on one thread in my entire life!

Did I read the story right? He did just get a £40 fine for shouting at the polis, yeah? He's not murdered anyone, has he?

And an awful lot of people who seem to be taking the Sun's story as gospel truth again :cool2:

Benny Brazil
03-08-2009, 03:25 PM
I am another that has seen him on numerous nights out and have only seen him drunk once and it was not during the season, and lets be honest most of the people who cause the bother with him are wee idiots trying to make a name for themselves

Deek gets a hard time from lots of people but usually walks away but I for one wouldn't like to be getting grief All the time on a night out and that includes some of our own "fans" - deek does sign Autographs and talk to hibees but sometimes he just wants A quiet night And to be left alone and not pestered (that doesn't make him billy big shot as some people make out - it just makes him human)

So why does he put himself in the position to be getting a "hard time"?
Why not avoid the town centre - plenty other places he can go.

jgl07
03-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Abusing alcohol and getting in to trouble is what some of us did at a young age.
I have never abused alcohol in my life.

I am always very polite to it!

hibsbollah
03-08-2009, 03:26 PM
So why does he put himself in the position to be getting a "hard time"?
Why not avoid the town centre - plenty other places he can go.

Why should he?

sahib
03-08-2009, 03:26 PM
There's nothing in todays article that mentions him having been drinking or being under the influence of alcohol as far as I can see.

Don't let that stop anyone jumping to conclusions though.

And an awful lot of people who seem to be taking the Sun's story as gospel truth again :cool:

If he wanders the streets at dead of night, hurling abuse at bouncers and the police, all while stone cold sober, then I am looking at the man with new respect.:greengrin

Benny Brazil
03-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Why should he?

Do I really need to answer that?

hibsbollah
03-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Do I really need to answer that?

Yes.

FranckSuzy
03-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Devil's advocate here. Could it be possible that a wee big aggro from the bouncer's just happened to give this establishment a fair bit of publicity?

Having run a pub for some years I can honestly say that some door people like a little 'bother' to liven up the night and if it's with a sitting duck then all the better. Would the police actually have believed him if he was innocent, given his 'previous'....?

This from establishments website. Looks like they need some good publicity...

N.B These comments were prior to Deek's night oot so it canny be him!!

'Better watch your bags, wallets, coats etc as this establishment seems to thrive as a hotbed of petty criminality'.

'Not just to watch your personal belongings, Have to watch yourself from the Men that dont get the hint to leave you alone'.

LancsHibs
03-08-2009, 04:04 PM
It would seem to me that to some on here Riordan can do no wrong. He needs to sort himself out sharpish. His football and the club are whats important, going out getting pished & acting like a dick in city centre bars are of no ****in importance, if this happened once or even twice you could right it off but he seems not to be able to keep out of trouble or his mouth shut. Total ****in embarrassment to the club:grr:
and most of all you let yourself down...blah, blah. Rant over

PS. assuming this is true, if not I retract (almost) everything:wink:

Judas Iscariot
03-08-2009, 04:09 PM
It seems tons of folk on here spend there weekends polishing their halo's instead of going up town and having a drink

26 year old guy, earning a pretty penny, likes to go up town after a hard weeks work, gets hastle rightly or wrongly from police and bouncers but voices his distaste at this, gets into a bit bother and gets lifted, released without charge, still remains completely innocent and never convicted for anything but remains a trouble maker, erse, waste of space etc even though he continually manages to do his "Job" extremely well and never had anything stand up in court against him...

If that was myself that got into the same situation on Saturday I bet you I wouldn't of 1- not been allowed entry and 2- been lifted from the police but as Deek is now perceived as a Hooligan/trouble maker, whatever, so folk take great pleasure in giving him a hard time..

Pity all the Nuns and Monks can't see anything else though..

Kojock
03-08-2009, 04:10 PM

Unfortunately this is not the first incident Deeks had been involved in, the seasons not even started and we have had two stories doing the rounds about Deeks.

It not the fact that he was shouting and swearing (which most of will have done) Its the fact that hes up town at 2.40am when he has a training session later that day. Hes taking the p1ss out Hibs and us. Hes a well paid proffessional lets see him starting to behave like one.

sevenil
03-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Unfortunately DR's latest escapade was all very predictable, since he's obviously unable to change old habits. That's means either he erupts in full public view, or someone goads him into it.

It's not gonna change. He should really have gone down south to the Championship to make a fresh start away from all his usual haunts.

Hibs7
03-08-2009, 04:13 PM
It seems tons of folk on here spend there weekends polishing their halo's instead of going up town and having a drink

26 year old guy, earning a pretty penny, likes to go up town after a hard weeks work, gets hastle rightly or wrongly from police and bouncers but voices his distaste at this, gets into a bit bother and gets lifted, released without charge, still remains completely innocent and never convicted for anything but remains a trouble maker, erse, waste of space etc even though he continually manages to do his "Job" extremely well and never had anything stand up in court against him...

If that was myself that got into the same situation on Saturday I bet you I wouldn't of 1- not been allowed entry and 2- been lifted from the police but as Deek is now perceived as a Hooligan/trouble maker, whatever, so folk take great pleasure in giving him a hard time..

BIG BIG difference between people on here and a proffesional sportsman pissing and arguing his career away.

Perspective
03-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Unfortunately this is not the first incident Deeks had been involved in, the seasons not even started and we have had two stories doing the rounds about Deeks.

It not the fact that he was shouting and swearing (which most of will have done) Its the fact that hes up town at 2.40am when he has a training session later that day. Hes taking the p1ss out Hibs and us. Hes a well paid proffessional lets see him starting to behave like one.

Nail on the head.

horseman
03-08-2009, 04:19 PM

:top marks leave the boy alone .....its not as if he hurt anyone

butterbean
03-08-2009, 04:22 PM
:jamboak:it will keep the yams busy on keekback . can some 1 go n check what sh*t they r coming out with . would have been n checked but they banned me for being a hobo windup merchant:jamboak:

timebomb
03-08-2009, 04:22 PM
BIG BIG difference between people on here and a proffesional sportsman pissing and arguing his career away.

Seems to be the Scottish way and has been for as long as I remember. Maurice Johnston & Jim Bett at the world cup in Mexico, Duncan Ferguson's wasted career to Ferguson & McGregor.

To be honest Darren Fletcher doesn't have as much natural ability as Riordan but what he has is a preofessional attitude on and off the park that has meant he's playing for one of the top teams in the world and Riordan is still pissing about in the SPL.

A sad waste of a talent and as a Hearts fan I fear Wallace is headed the same way.

All their brains in their feet

Broken Gnome
03-08-2009, 04:23 PM

Apart from himself.

GreenPJ
03-08-2009, 04:23 PM

So I presume he will be appealing the £40 fine then? I don't want the courts and my tax-payers money spent on taking a breach of the peace case to court so a night in the cells and a £40 fine is OK by me, however, that does not make him innocent or that he needs to change his ways.

Have you ever slagged/criticised Neil Lennon for getting into trouble although am sure he has ten times the number of people willing to rile him than Deek will ever have?

He is a professional sportsman who has a responsibility to stay fit and ultimately is an ambassador for the club. If he does not like that fact then he should change job or do something about his drinking buddies/temper.

Golden Bear
03-08-2009, 04:28 PM

Erm - "professional footballers" and "hard weeks work" just do not go together.

They're spoilt brats who don't know how lucky they are it seems.

Keith_M
03-08-2009, 04:31 PM

How about his career and the reputation of the club he plays for.

Fair enough, if he wants to spend his nights getting thrown out from nightclubs, getting p*ss*d or whatever, let him have a career where all that doesn't really matter.

I'd be interested to know what that would be, though, maybe a trolley pusher in Asda

:dunno:

ancient hibee
03-08-2009, 04:37 PM
He needs to grow up.

The fact that there are people on here who think it ok for anyone to be drunk wandering the town getting into bother tells all you need to know about Scotland and drink.

MSK
03-08-2009, 04:39 PM

Pity all the Nuns and Monks can't see anything else though..Nuns ..!!! aye when since were Nuns whiter than snow !!!....:greengrin

Anyway...since you obviously see no wrong in what Deeks gets up to when on the galavant perhaps then you would be singing from a different hymn book should he ever get a "weekender" in the cells ...?

Booked4Being-Ugly
03-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Aye lets all get rid if him and have no more of this......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqRdX59voWM

oconnors_strip
03-08-2009, 04:40 PM

so many posters on here call him a boy. he is 26 YEARS OLD, he is a MAN!!!!!!!!!!!! but im not giving that is an excuse for anything he does.

ScottB
03-08-2009, 04:47 PM

Point is that he, unlike the rest of us is banned from most of the places in the city center. Him just going up town at all is asking for trouble, the fact is he has shown a complete inability to accept this, hence he keeps getting caught trying to sneak in places, keeps getting his ban extended and keeps getting in trouble with the cops. He now has such a reputation for this I wouldn't blame any venue from not letting him in.

This isn't an issue about whether or not he deserves a few drinks at the end of the week, this is him repeatedly failing to learn from his mistakes, accept the situation and screw the nut. Hell I'm sure he'd have found his ban quickly commuted if he'd just stayed away for a few months, instead he is now a marked man, bringing the club into disrepute every time for whatever reason he again decides to chance his luck trying to get into places in the city centre.

Jack
03-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Why should he?

Half the city hates him with a passion, while we mostly appreciate his footballing skills.

Given he’s a hate figure you'd think he might try to avoid confronting these, admittedly, idiots who will go out of their way to get him into trouble with anyone they can; bouncers; police; anyone’s granny.

There will come a time, I suspect, given the number and their low intelligence when one or more of these morons will cross the line to the next stage. A Hearts fan martyr hero, read what they say about him on JKB (although its unlikely any of them have anything sharper than a keyboard).

FFS if they are willing to ‘have a go’ on a football pitch surrounded by 20k witnesses and a barrow load of cops and security what's to say what might/could happen when far fewer are about and some pi$$ head fancies his chances at becoming that hero?

Like many have said before its about time he faced the fact that when he’s in the centre of Edinburgh, troublemaker or not, trouble will find him.

Jim44
03-08-2009, 04:48 PM

Nonsense. He causes regular and unnecessary damage to the reputation of Hibernian Football Club. You can't divorce private conduct from public conduct when you enjoy a high profile position in your job. If you and a few others choose to defend the behaviour of Riordan, that's your business but don't tell others who disapprove that they should take your party line. You don't have to be a monk or a nun, as some other punter suggests, to live your life according to reasonable standards of behaviour.

Judas Iscariot
03-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Anyway...since you obviously see no wrong in what Deeks gets up to when on the galavant perhaps then you would be singing from a different hymn book should he ever get a "weekender" in the cells ...?

Aye, well "We'll see!" if that ever happens..

Seeing as it hasn't already and considering how much of a public nuisance he seems to be i'd say it's doubtfull..

But you can keep your fingers crossed for it happening I suppose..

Also, everyone seems so concerned that he's wasting his career, talent etc but he continually does the business for us!

Some could argue that when he did screw the nut he ended up signing for someone else for more money, chance at honours and regulaur European football!

So in turn, he'd leave us again if he fullfills his potential! Eh? Do we want him here scoring goals or playing elsewhere!?

Again, I take it a vast majority of users were up town and spoke to him the other night to know he was 'Reeking' or 'plshèd' etc..

Or jumping to Sun led conclusions as always!?

Dashing Bob S
03-08-2009, 04:53 PM
so many posters on here call him a boy. he is 26 YEARS OLD, he is a MAN!!!!!!!!!!!! but im not giving that is an excuse for anything he does.

Nonsense! One is only as old as one feels. At 40, I was, am, and remain, a fresh-faced young kid.

Some of you younger chaps come over as very,very old.

I don't even think one should begin to consider any notion of personal responsibility till one's third marriage.

oconnors_strip
03-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Also, everyone seems so concerned that he's wasting his career, talent etc but he continually does the business for us!

continually doing the business for us? how many goals did he score last season? how many time does he moan like f*** to his team mates during 90 minutes. his work rate and attitude on the field is not up to the standards hibs and many fans expect.

Golden Bear
03-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Nonsense! One is only as old as one feels. At 40, I was, am, and remain, a fresh-faced young kid.

I don't even think one should begin to consider any notion of personal responsibility till one's third marriage.

Are you already talking through experience DBS?!

MSK
Aye, well "We'll see!" if that ever happens..

Seeing as it hasn't already and considering how much of a public nuisance he seems to be i'd say it's doubtfull..

But you can keep your fingers crossed for it happening I suppose..

Some could argue that when he did screw the nut he ended up signing for someone else for more money, chance at honours and regulaur European football!

So in turn, he'd leave us again if he fullfills his potential! Eh? Do we want him here scoring goals or playing elsewhere!?

Again, I take it a vast majority of users were up town and spoke to him the other night to know he was 'Reeking' or 'plshèd' etc..

Or jumping to Sun led conclusions as always!?What do you mean by that ?

As a hibs fan i want the lad to be focussed on doing what i ..his paymasters & prob every hibs fan wants & thats banging in the goals on a sat afternoon !!! ..no rocket science is it ...?

No i dont want him banged up in the cells (if thats what your implying)..now or anytime for that matter however its no coincidence that Riordan in bother has reared its ugly head again ..its not the first time but i would love it to be the last ..i want tae read about what he does on the park not what he does up the town ..

Is that ok for you ..?

Kojock

Depends what your definition of hurt is.

He has hurt himself, he has hurt his reputation (whats left of it) He has hurt Hibs bringing them bad publicity. But most of all he has hurt the fans who pay to see Deeks perform to the best he can, something he cannot possibly do leading the life style he does. (I am hurt smiley)

Judas Iscariot
03-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Point is that he, unlike the rest of us is banned from most of the places in the city center. Him just going up town at all is asking for trouble, the fact is he has shown a complete inability to accept this, hence he keeps getting caught trying to sneak in places, keeps getting his ban extended and keeps getting in trouble with the cops. He now has such a reputation for this I wouldn't blame any venue from not letting him in.

This isn't an issue about whether or not he deserves a few drinks at the end of the week, this is him repeatedly failing to learn from his mistakes, accept the situation and screw the nut. Hell I'm sure he'd have found his ban quickly commuted if he'd just stayed away for a few months, instead he is now a marked man, bringing the club into disrepute every time for whatever reason he again decides to chance his luck trying to get into places in the city centre.

A ban from certain clubs and pubs that wasn't put upon him by the court or police..

The establishment at which said incident occured isn't part of the "Unite" scheme which Derek is barred from venues that adhere to this..

So he went to a venue that he isn't barred from but was still refused entry for whatever reason..

Do you suggest he never leaves his house? Has parties from home? Spends his cash on stocks and shares or invests it!?

oconnors_strip
03-08-2009, 04:59 PM

:blah::blah::faf::faf::faf:

Chuckie
03-08-2009, 05:00 PM
'Last night Riordan refused to comment on his arrest outside his posh Edinburgh home.'

Aye right. :faf:

I can see Deeks right enough with his Georgian Townhouse in Royal Circus, sitting at his piano, wearing a monocle, sipping cognac from a crystal glass, nibbling some hors d'oeuvres of olives, canapes, or pigs in a blanket.

Jim44
03-08-2009, 05:00 PM

Maybe there's a wee element of truth in what you say, DBS, .............maybe Riordan needs the soothing and quelling effect of a good woman. :greengrin

PaulSmith
03-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Hibernian today confirmed that Derek Riordan has been disciplined by the Club following an incident in Edinburgh over the weekend. While the incident itself was a minor offence of disorder in nature, the Club does not condone or accept the player's behaviour on this occasion.

The disciplinary action taken, details of which will remain private between the Club and the player, followed a meeting today with Chief Executive Scott Lindsay and Manager John Hughes.

from www.hibs.co.uk

Kojock
03-08-2009, 05:09 PM
[QUOTE=SCF10;2117823]So he went to a venue that he isn't barred from but was still refused entry for whatever reason..[QUOTE]

I have been refused entry to a pub/club before, my reaction was that if the dont want my money then stuff them and went elsewhere.

Deeks reaction.. shout and swear and give the stewards abuse, then when the YAM polis arrive give them them abuse as well to such an extent you get lifted and taken to the police station.

Hmmm spot the difference...........:rolleyes:

Jaz
03-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Dunno if this has been mentioned in this thread but his Saturday night/Sunday morning exploits might explain why he was like a fart in a trance at the training on Sunday.

He was also the last man left at "Chipper's Crossbar Challenge". He never even got close to hitting the crossbar!

Midden.

1950's hibbie
03-08-2009, 05:34 PM
On my reading of the incident Reardon got into an arguement with doormen at a Club where he had been refused entry. Two policemen who by the report were on patrol nearby went to see what was happening. They tried to calm things down, and were then abused by Reardon, there was no violence, no mention that I recall of alcohol. He was arrested for a minor offence and when released paid a voluntary penalty. Am I correct in saying case closed.

He has now been disciplined by the Club, the form of which is being kept confidential.

Apart from the conspiracy theories that all bouncers and police are Yams, and that he has been picked on, it seems the person up to now that is most willing to accept what happened and the conseqences is one Derek Reardon.
I am not in Edinburgh, so not as close to the happenings as most on here, but my experience was that previous convictions or police involvement could only be used if the person accused claimed to be of good character, or after conviction in lieu of sentence. The information I have gleaned from here is that Reardon has never been charged before, only that he has been banned from clubs, but not the one in this case. I agree he is 26 and it is time to grow up, and realise that as a professional athlete he does have an obligation to be a fit role model.

Dashing Bob S
03-08-2009, 05:36 PM

Are you already talking through experience DBS?!

Oh yes, the only way a gentleman can talk.

basehibby
03-08-2009, 05:47 PM

:faf: :top marks

hibsbollah
03-08-2009, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=SCF10;2117823]So he went to a venue that he isn't barred from but was still refused entry for whatever reason..[QUOTE]

I have been refused entry to a pub/club before, my reaction was that if the dont want my money then stuff them and went elsewhere.

Deeks reaction.. shout and swear and give the stewards abuse, then when the YAM polis arrive give them them abuse as well to such an extent you get lifted and taken to the police station.

Hmmm spot the difference...........:rolleyes:

How do you know thats what happened? He could have been in a debate about Flemish post Impressionism or the works of Dostoyevsky.

ancient hibee
03-08-2009, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE=Hot Shot Hamish;2117839][QUOTE=SCF10;2117823]So he went to a venue that he isn't barred from but was still refused entry for whatever reason..

How do you know thats what happened? He could have been in a debate about Flemish post Impressionism or the works of Dostoyevsky.
I didn't know there were such clever bouncers nowadays.I understand that what really happened was that a doorman tried to force him into the club and while Riordan was vehemently objecting to this as he was actually canvassing donations for the Temperance Societythe police arrived and misunderstood the situation.

ScottB
03-08-2009, 06:05 PM
A ban from certain clubs and pubs that wasn't put upon him by the court or police..

The establishment at which said incident occured isn't part of the "Unite" scheme which Derek is barred from venues that adhere to this..

So he went to a venue that he isn't barred from but was still refused entry for whatever reason..

Do you suggest he never leaves his house? Has parties from home? Spends his cash on stocks and shares or invests it!?

He's banned from all the Unite clubs yes, which is the majority of the city centre venues. He then got barred from the Hive, which is not in Unite. Since these bans have came in how many times has he been in the papers for trying to sneak in to places he's banned from and / or causing trouble?

It's entirely at any venues discretion to let him in or not, and considering the reputation he has got for himself I wouldn't blame any venue for not letting him in, and he only has himself to blame for that, it doesn't give him a right to kick off like a spoilt brat when unsurprisingly, he gets denied entry.

I'm not saying he shouldn't go out and enjoy himself on occasion, he does himself no favours venturing into the city centre whatsoever, as others have pointed out he could easily go elsewhere; through to Glasgow / Newcastle / London wherever and go wherever he likes and just be another face in the crowd without issue. Fact is he doesn't and keeps either trying to get into Unite venues or causing trouble, he's made himself a marked man in this city, going out elsewhere for awhile and keeping low key and he might find himself welcomed back, ie accepting his situation and dealing with it. Or he can continue trying his luck in Edinburgh's city centre and get himself barred from more places, more police trouble and more discplinary action from the club. His choice.

heretoday
03-08-2009, 06:14 PM
I don't care about his morals, his political opinions or his drinking habits provided it doesn't impact on his football. When it does it's time to get rid of him.

SanFranHibs
03-08-2009, 06:51 PM

Yes, a well known, current Hibs player, ex-Celtic, going out in Glasgow. I can't see any reason to worry there.

JimBHibees
03-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Yes, a well known, current Hibs player, ex-Celtic, going out in Glasgow. I can't see any reason to worry there.

At least he might get in a few places, some he wouldnt get out of but thats the gamble. :greengrin

I am sure he never went out in Glasgow when he was a Celtc player.

Westie1875
03-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Hibernian today confirmed that Derek Riordan has been disciplined by the Club following an incident in Edinburgh over the weekend. While the incident itself was a minor offence of disorder in nature, the Club does not condone or accept the player's behaviour on this occasion.

The disciplinary action taken, details of which will remain private between the Club and the player, followed a meeting today with Chief Executive Scott Lindsay and Manager John Hughes.

from www.hibs.co.uk (http://www.hibs.co.uk)

Case closed IMO, the club have dealt with it and that should be it.

Sir David Gray
03-08-2009, 06:59 PM

He used to play for Celtic...? :confused:

SanFranHibs
03-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Case closed IMO, the club have dealt with it and that should be it.

Case closed. Now Riordan can go out and celebrate !

I know I would. :wink:

SanFranHibs
03-08-2009, 07:01 PM
He used to play for Celtic...? :confused:

:wink:

hibsbollah
03-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Case closed. Now Riordan can go out and celebrate !

I know I would. :wink:

:drunk: Have a good night Derek:thumbsup:

Pedantic_Hibee
03-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Met him once in a nightclub and he apologised to me for putting his drink down at my table. Never spoke to him as I'd never massage the ego of any footballer by pretending I was their best pal, be it a Hibs player or anyone else.

It was his mates that night that were the erses, jumping up and down the place and generally looking like a group of lads who wanted it to be known that they were drinking with Deek.

That said, one of my cousins is a very good friend of his (he wasn't present that night) and he's said that Deek isn't even a tenth as bad as the media and others would have you believe.

Killiehibbie
03-08-2009, 07:08 PM
It had to be a big fuss about nothing to get a parking ticket type fine. He's really got to screw the nut and do as plenty others have done. If he can't handle the situations he finds himself in don't be there in the first place. It's easy after not doing it for a few weeks you realise you're not missing it and one of these times some wee prick will make real headlines.

VegasHibby
03-08-2009, 08:09 PM

There is absolutely no doubt that a players lifestyle will affect his playing on the park.........

Hibs90
03-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Spot the Yams in this thread. :greengrin

johnbc70
03-08-2009, 08:40 PM
I am sure Yogi has had a word and basically told him that he has had his chance, next time it happens then that is it and he could find himself shipped off to Championship/League 1. (which ironically would be the best thing for him and he would probably earn a bigger wage)

While I was delighted to see him return this season is make or break - he is 26 now so he either has a season that makes him a superstar again (20+ goals) or he has another season just like the last. If he has a great season he could still get that move into the bigtime, if he has a poor season then IMO that is it for him, the rest of his career will be spend at SPL standard, wherever that is.

Hope he has a great season, scores 20+ goals, gets sold for £3M and ends up in Premiership/Championship next season.

Hibs90
03-08-2009, 08:41 PM
I am sure Yogi has had a word and basically told him that he has had his chance, next time it happens then that is it and he could find himself shipped off to Championship/League 1. (which ironically would be the best thing for him and he would probably earn a bigger wage)

While I was delighted to see him return this season is make or break - he is 26 now so he either has a season that makes him a superstar again (20+ goals) or he has another season just like the last. If he has a great season he could still get that move into the bigtime, if he has a poor season then IMO that is it for him, the rest of his career will be spend at SPL standard, wherever that is.

Hope he has a great season, scores 20+ goals, gets sold for £3M and ends up in Premiership/Championship next season.

Why so sure? He's probably just been fined a week or two's wages.

johnbc70
03-08-2009, 08:46 PM
From what I understand of Yogi's philosophy and the way he talks about his team and his vision then I think he will have a word and told him that is it, that was your chance and next time you will be dealt with more severely. Just my opionion mind, no proof.

dp00
03-08-2009, 09:10 PM

not sure if anyone saw him at training on sunday but he looked like he needed his bed and at end for crossbar challenge looked like he could not be assed

Coco Bryce
03-08-2009, 09:13 PM
not sure if anyone saw him at training on sunday but he looked like he needed his bed and at end for crossbar challenge looked like he could not be assed

Hardly surprising really after spending the night on a flea ridden bed in St Leonards.

PaulSmith
03-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Hardly surprising really after spending the night on a flea ridden bed in St Leonards.

You mean the blue plastic mattress on the concrete bed?

Coco Bryce
03-08-2009, 09:17 PM
You mean the blue plastic mattress on the concrete bed?

Aye right enough its all upmarket now, not like the good old days.

silverhibee
03-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Away Win. 0-1. Scorer. the sun.

hibs0666
03-08-2009, 09:40 PM

Assist awarded to Derek Riordan.

silverhibee
03-08-2009, 09:42 PM
:drunk: Have a good night Derek:thumbsup:

/doing your jigsaw.:greengrin

silverhibee
03-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Met him once in a nightclub and he apologised to me for putting his drink down at my table. Never spoke to him as I'd never massage the ego of any footballer by pretending I was their best pal, be it a Hibs player or anyone else.

It was his mates that night that were the erses, jumping up and down the place and generally looking like a group of lads who wanted it to be known that they were drinking with Deek.

That said, one of my cousins is a very good friend of his (he wasn't present that night) and he's said that Deek isn't even a tenth as bad as the media and others would have you believe.

:agree: Your cousin is right.

IWasThere2016
03-08-2009, 09:47 PM

Assist awarded to Derek Riordan.

Deeks had a few shots aff the bar tho! :wink: :greengrin

Mike777
03-08-2009, 09:51 PM
What i dont understand is why was he not giving a fixed penalty on the spot instead of being taken to St Leonards and being put in a cell for 6 hours?

A waste of public money right?

My source tells me he was polite and was asking the officers who they supported, he did ask one if he was a rugby man "you look like a rugby man" was what he said.

silverhibee
03-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Deeks had a few shots aff the bar tho! :wink: :greengrin

According to a yam rag reporter he never even got anywhere near the bar to have a shot.:wink::thumbsup:

Phil D. Rolls
04-08-2009, 08:06 AM
Life would be really dull if everyone always acted as their mum and dad would like them to. Anyone that can't hold their drink though, and keeps getting in trouble with the polis, should do something about it.

By the way some of the Holy Wullie stuff on this thread, the hand wringing and the use of words like "ambassadors for the club" is so *****ing cringeworthy, I thought I'd signed onto YakBak.

It's a game, an entertainment, a distraction. Stop taking it, and yourselves so bloody seriously, and go and find a constructive channel for your high minded ideals.

RIP
04-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Life would be really dull if everyone always acted as their mum and dad would like them to. Anyone that can't hold their drink though, and keeps getting in trouble with the polis, should do something about it.

By the way some of the Holy Wullie stuff on this thread, the hand wringing and the use of words like "ambassadors for the club" is so *****ing cringeworthy, I thought I'd signed onto YakBak.

It's a game, an entertainment, a distraction. Stop taking it, and yourselves so bloody seriously, and go and find a constructive channel for your high minded ideals.

A bit less pompous preaching from you laddie if ye don't mind. I'll behave as I see fit

I don't need you telling me how to act on these boards or anyone else :wink:

Dashing Bob S
04-08-2009, 08:22 AM

It seems he's one of those chaps who values the loyalty and company of old friends, and does not want to appear aloof and distant from them due to his success as a pro footballer. 'Keeping it real' is a commendable trait, but I think that many of his associates do him a great diservice by drawing the attention of bar and doorstaff. (Many of them like the aforementioned friends, anxious to grab a bit of glory/intrique/topic of discussion/bragging rights through their involvement in the subsequent incidents.)

I think the time has come for DR to take stock and ask how much his career means to him and how well-served he is by those friendships. Like many expressive footballers, there is perhaps a side to his character that revels in the attention and the drama of conflict - nothing wrong with that, would be be a boring world if we were all sober robots who made the 'right' decision all the time.

You can't tell anyone how to live their life, but as people have said, this is a big season for DR. He's possibly missed becoming the next Law or Dalglish (which I really believe he could have been had he chosen the correct move rather than the Smeltic debacle) but he still has the goods to be a big star and regular internationalist. Your body can get away with late nights on town at 21, but at 26 recovery becomes much more problematic and all he's doing is cutting his career short. I'd hate more him to become a dull, model pro - I firmly believe that his kind of expressiveness on the park can't be so easily compartmentalised, and few flair players, by their nature, are saints - but he can chose his associates and nights out more selectively.

I'd love to see him do well in the game and out of the game, and i'd be very sad if in ten years time he was a fat, toothless, battled-scarred alcoholic bore regalling ar*seholes in grotty bars with footballing tales for drinks.

H1bs6H3arts2 FC
04-08-2009, 08:29 AM

:top marks

hibsbollah
04-08-2009, 09:19 AM

brog
04-08-2009, 09:40 AM
[
I'd love to see him do well in the game and out of the game, and i'd be very sad if in ten years time he was a fat, toothless, battled-scarred alcoholic bore regalling ar*seholes in grotty bars with footballing tales for drinks.[/QUOTE]

I'm a big fan of Derek's & have had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times. He was extremely polite & almost shy.
Bob's comment above struck a chord though. On night before our 5-1 cup triumph I was in a bar on Leith Walk when in walked ( or staggered ) Kenny Buchanan. I knew Kenny well when he was world champ, like Deek he had a coterie of so called friends who revelled in the reflected glory. None of them are there now that he needs them & it saddens me to say it but Kenny's a wreck. For Derek's sake I hope he puts all his energies into proving what a wonderful player & that he & Hibs benefit from his great talent.

Phil D. Rolls
04-08-2009, 09:50 AM
A bit less pompous preaching from you laddie if ye don't mind. I'll behave as I see fit

I don't need you telling me how to act on these boards or anyone else :wink:

Sorry, who are you again? :confused:

Phil D. Rolls
04-08-2009, 09:54 AM
[
I'd love to see him do well in the game and out of the game, and i'd be very sad if in ten years time he was a fat, toothless, battled-scarred alcoholic bore regalling ar*seholes in grotty bars with footballing tales for drinks.

I'm a big fan of Derek's & have had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times. He was extremely polite & almost shy.
Bob's comment above struck a chord though. On night before our 5-1 cup triumph I was in a bar on Leith Walk when in walked ( or staggered ) Kenny Buchanan. I knew Kenny well when he was world champ, like Deek he had a coterie of so called friends who revelled in the reflected glory. None of them are there now that he needs them & it saddens me to say it but Kenny's a wreck. For Derek's sake I hope he puts all his energies into proving what a wonderful player & that he & Hibs benefit from his great talent.[/QUOTE]

I don't know Deek, but having read Ken Buchanan's book, I think a saint would have fallen out with him. Complete egotist that managed to fall out with everyone in the British fight game, thus having to arrange his own bouts and making some bad decisions.

Mind you, according to Ken none of this was his fault. I don't know what Deek's take on things is, but according to an off duty policewoman I was talking to in the early hours of Monday morning, Deek was behaving like an erchole. They would say that of course.

Steve-O
04-08-2009, 10:04 AM
I don't care about his morals, his political opinions or his drinking habits provided it doesn't impact on his football. When it does it's time to get rid of him.

You honestly don't think any of this has already had an impact on his football?

He's wasted 2 years at Celtic, not getting a game because of a reputation as a poor trainer and whatever else, and he's come back probably a worse player than the one that left when he should be reaching his peak.

Those that seem to think he still 'does the job on the park' need to take the blinkers off. I think what most are saying is that he could do MORE on the park, and that is what pisses most people off when they hear stories like this!

silverhibee
04-08-2009, 10:09 AM
And in todays sun, it says, soccer yob Derek Riordan has been hammered by Hibs after being lifted on a night out,:blah::blah::blah::blah:.
But yam gimp reporter gerry duffy forgets to tell us what Hibs hammered him with, and then at the end of the article it says this, the disciplinary action, which will remain private.
So in other words the sun knows sweet FA but will print what they want about things anyway.:jamboak::jamboak:

Steve-O
04-08-2009, 10:13 AM
And in todays sun, it says, soccer yob Derek Riordan has been hammered by Hibs after being lifted on a night out,:blah::blah::blah::blah:.
But yam gimp reporter gerry duffy forgets to tell us what Hibs hammered him with, and then at the end of the article it says this, the disciplinary action, which will remain private.
So in other words the sun knows sweet FA but will print what they want about things anyway.:jamboak::jamboak:

Ach 'hammered' is just The Sun speak for 'disciplined' which is a fact?

I know the word sensationalises it a bit, but they do that on every other story as well.

lapsedhibee
04-08-2009, 10:15 AM
the disciplinary action, which will remain private
Would it not be usual for the club to say that a player has been fined two weeks' wages (or similar) for breaching club discipline (etc)?

Does the 'private' action hint that perhaps Deek has been telt something less usual, such as 'one more strike and yer oot', do you think? :dunno:

Phil D. Rolls
04-08-2009, 10:18 AM

So if the guy was a Hibby, the article would be accurate? I think the Sun know enough to say he's been disciplined by the club, they have also said the player was in the cells.

There's innuendo, and there's burying your head in the sand.

Jack
04-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Would it not be usual for the club to say that a player has been fined two weeks' wages (or similar) for breaching club discipline (etc)?

Does the 'private' action hint that perhaps Deek has been telt something less usual, such as 'one more strike and yer oot', do you think? :dunno:

Maybe other lesser clubs but I cant say I ever remember Hibs saying what ‘punishment’ has been dished out in the past. :dunno:

Derek Riordan

"The disciplinary action taken, details of which will remain private between the Club and the player,"

Darren McCormack

“and Darren has already been dealt with through the Club’s own disciplinary procedure, the outcome of which will remain private between the Club and player.”

David Grof

“and David has already been dealt with through the Club’s own disciplinary procedure, the outcome of which will remain private between the Club and player.”

Filipe Morais

“Filipe will be dealt with through the Club’s own disciplinary procedure, the outcome of which will remain private between the Club and player.”

hibs1875aye
04-08-2009, 11:31 AM
I seen him on Sunday. He looked fine enough to me and the fact he couldn't hit the bar is testiment to his skill at putting the ball between the sticks :greengrin

Regards his appearance etc, the kids made me stand in the queue for the autographs and Deek was first in line. Happy for autographs, photos and even signed some annoying womans top/bag/ticket/paper etc....patience more than I have if he had a big raging hangover.

Shouting at the police/jambos isn't the worst crime in the world you know :wink:

If he can do it on the pitch, I dont give a toss what else he does. This crap about avoiding Edinburgh City Centre - he's from Edinburgh, his family etc stay in Edinburgh, so why can't he visit the city centre? He's no a hun is he?

Just stop getting caught son. :thumbsup:

As for the Sun. That publication is beyond use. The same rag that called Scotland a bunch of scroungers in England but proclaimed Braveheart type sentiments this side of the border, also claimed the Scousers were all thieving from the dead at Hillsbourgh and a squillion other lies and pish reporting. Toilet paper is too good for that rag, whether this story was true or not did it REALLY merit the front page? I dont think so...

lapsedhibee
04-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Maybe other lesser clubs but I cant say I ever remember Hibs saying what ‘punishment’ has been dished out in the past. :dunno:
[Examples]

Aha. Good research.:agree:

I have, as you suggest, being paying too much attention to meeja reports of the goings on at lesser clubs, and not enough time browsing the fishy site. :doh:

WestSideHibby
04-08-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm just finishing off 'Fallen Idle' by Peter Marinello. Front page proclaims that he 'squandered my talent... p***ed most of it up against teh wall. I'm the guy who wrote the manual of How Not To Do It'.

A decent read, and one that Deek would do well to read whilst tucked up early in bed with a cup of cocoa.

skipster7
04-08-2009, 05:29 PM
I sometimes can't help but think that the re-signing of Derek Riordan will be one of the biggest mistakes of Mixu's time managing Hibs, he has had half a season to get back into it after his career stalled badly at Celtic and yet he is still out and about on a weekend in Edinburgh getting himself into trouble.

He doesn't seem to realise that he needs to get his head down and work on his game, at current rate he will never fullfill his potential as a footballer, he is paid handsomly to be a professional athlete but doesn't seem to have the brains to realise that this short career of his is more than halfway through and he has to make the most of it while he still can or will go down in history as another of the great white Scottish hopes who threw it away and never made it.

Hope Yogi can get him to sort his head out, somehow I doubt it somehow though and he is too far down that track to change his ways, shame.

this is all being blown out of proportion, the guy is 26 out with his mates AFTER a game tries to get in a club which is not part of the ban from a couple of years ago, and still gets knocked back !! id be a little peeved as well:grr:
its also a rarity because he's usually usually glued to his xbox 6/7 nights a week playing call of duty:wink:

Judas Iscariot
04-08-2009, 05:36 PM

ancient hibee
04-08-2009, 06:02 PM
this is all being blown out of proportion, the guy is 26 out with his mates AFTER a game tries to get in a club which is not part of the ban from a couple of years ago, and still gets knocked back !! id be a little peeved as well:grr:
its also a rarity because he's usually usually glued to his xbox 6/7 nights a week playing call of duty:wink:
Except was he not due at ER for a public training spin?

Sammy7nil
05-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Whereas of course if he was a Hearts player you, me and everyone else on this board would have been ripping in to him for his behaviour, hyped-up or not.

He's a Hibby, fine. Doesnt stop him being a tool when he's out. Pretty much everyone other professional footballer appears to be able to manage their private lives effectively.

As for being one of the most talented players - undoubtedly. When he's on form, he's a joy to watch and worth the admission alone.

But he was also (one or two shots notwithstanding) utterly ineffective and anonymous on Saturday, petulant as always and taking no responsibiity for his own total inability to pass a football. This may be because he likes being out on the lash, or maybe its just because he had a poor game, but if it had been a Keenan or a DVZ, he would have been hunted on here this morning. Whatever the reason for him being banged up, getting arrested the night after a pitiful personal performance, a few days before much tougher friendlies that people are paying a lot of money to go and watch is - at the very least - irresponsible, and at worst disrespectful to supporters of the club.

I hope Yogi rips him a new one

Totally agree I think Deek is a genius but he needs to get his head sorted.
Perhaps a sensible girlfriend or wife would help calm him down and take his social life in a new direction.

hibs1875aye
05-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Perhaps a sensible girlfriend or wife would help calm him down and take his social life in a new direction.

You kidding? "sensible girlfriend" "sensible wife" :faf::faf::faf: .... a step far surely! :thumbsup:

I didn't know they made such women (Ducks as bricks come flying at my head) :devil:

Sammy7nil
05-08-2009, 11:55 AM

Cant really agree. ANYONE who is consistently in brawls and trouble should by the age of 26 decided what he WANTS to do. Either sort out the issues or carry on being an @rsehole. I know the Police are far from perfect but if a police officer is advising you to calm down and listen and you chose not too and carry on with a rant it is only gonna end one way.
Looks to me like Deek cant or wont change his ways his friends and family need to offer him much more support (i know they be trying but so far it has not worked) hopefully this will be final wake up call Deeks needs to buckle down put all his efforts in to imporving his performance and finally achieving what we all know he is very capable of.

Sammy7nil
05-08-2009, 11:57 AM
You kidding? "sensible girlfriend" "sensible wife" :faf::faf::faf: .... a step far surely! :thumbsup:

I didn't know they made such women (Ducks as bricks come flying at my head) :devil:

Okay then a quite wee lassie who is willing to stay and have dinner parties

New Corrie
05-08-2009, 12:13 PM
I don't knw which of his talents I admire more...being a great player...or being able to have every yam fud in Edinburgh hating you. How good must that be?...I'm a player, you aren't...now get tae yah Hearts Cock! Deeks is the man! Yes, it may end in tears, but for me...HE IS THE MAN!

Filled Rolls is spot on about all this Moralistic "ambassador for our club" bollocks. It must be only on message boards where you get this type of speak. When i'm in the pub with my mates discussing football's characters (you know, the likes of Deek) it never develops into.....but you know what? He's a poor example to young people and a bad ambassador for Hibs......

Get a grip yah sanctimonious cyberdorks!

iwasthere1972
05-08-2009, 01:39 PM
I don't knw which of his talents I admire more...being a great player...or being able to have every yam fud in Edinburgh hating you. How good must that be?...I'm a player, you aren't...now get tae yah Hearts Cock! Deeks is the man! Yes, it may end in tears, but for me...HE IS THE MAN!

Filled Rolls is spot on about all this Moralistic "ambassador for our club" bollocks. It must be only on message boards where you get this type of speak. When i'm in the pub with my mates discussing football's characters (you know, the likes of Deek) it never develops into.....but you know what? He's a poor example to young people and a bad ambassador for Hibs......

He's a 26 year old professional footballer and not a silly wee laddie. He may look back on his career in 7 or 8 years time and regret that he didn't fulfill his potential. Rather he did his talking on the pitch than squabbling up town with L&B's finest. Ambassador may be the wrong description but he represents the club and they have now made it known publicly where they stand on the situation.

I'll cyberdork you. :grr:

Phil D. Rolls
05-08-2009, 02:15 PM
He's a 26 year old professional footballer and not a silly wee laddie. He may look back on his career in 7 or 8 years time and regret that he didn't fulfill his potential. Rather he did his talking on the pitch than squabbling up town with L&B's finest. Ambassador may be the wrong description but he represents the club and they have now made it known publicly where they stand on the situation.

I'll cyberdork you. :grr:

I think it is for Derek to decide what he wants from life. He may not decide to go down the road that would appear to be the sensible one. But it's up to him.

As far as I'm concerned the best way he can represent Hibs is to keep scoring goals. If they dry up, then it will have been his choice, and his mistake, but he doesn't belong to the rest of us. He is an employee of Hibs FC.

I just wish that everyone was as careful about their own behaviour and morality as they seem to think football players should be.

ps I notice some Yambolinos lurking, you must feel right at home with some of the sanctimonious pap on this thread.

hibsbollah
05-08-2009, 03:16 PM

Oh yes indeed:agree::top marks

Cabbage East
05-08-2009, 04:29 PM

I am actually in agreement with Corrie Greens.

Ma heid hurts.

New Corrie
05-08-2009, 04:49 PM
I am actually in agreement with Corrie Greens.

Ma heid hurts.

I woudn't worry Monza, it probably will never happen again.

Oh! And for any admin looking in, this is a Hibs.net historic moment....someone agreeing with me!

Barney McGrew
05-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Oh! And for any admin looking in, this is a Hibs.net historic moment....someone agreeing with me!

We'll stick the thread in the Vault for posterity once it's run it's course :wink: