PDA

View Full Version : NHC ESPN Information for anyone interested

TamHibs
24-07-2009, 01:26 PM
I just upgraded to ESPN on Sky for £9 a month.

Here is their FAQ:

FAQs

Channel Information

What is ESPN? ESPN stands for Entertainment Sports Programming Network and is one of the leading sports broadcaster in the US. It has developed a reputation for providing world class coverage of top US sporting events like the NFL and Major League Baseball.
ESPN was recently awarded 46 Barclays Premier League matches for the 09/10 season, and will now be broadcasting in the UK in both standard and high definition.
Has it launched? ESPN currently has two channels in the News & Events Pack:

ESPN Classic (Channel 432)
ESPN America (Channel 417)

On 3rd August, ESPN America will become a standalone subscription channel and rebrand to "ESPN".
At this point, ESPN America will no longer broadcast (and therefore not appear in News & Events Pack from this date). ESPN Classic will continue to be available on Channel 432 in News & Events Pack from this date.
Note: News & Events Pack customers will lose ESPN America from 3rd August and will not be entitled to watch the new ESPN channel as part of that Pack.
Which channel will "ESPN" be on?

ESPN: 417
ESPN HD: 443

What are the broadcast hours? Daily, 24 hours
Is there any sub-titling/audio description/sign-language? Currently, no.

Customer Information

How do I get ESPN? Customers can upgrade in three ways:

Online at www.sky.com/espn (http://www.sky.com/espn)
Via their TV remote control, by pressing the Interactive button then via Sky Active
By calling the contact centres

Nearer to ESPN's launch, we will contact customers who have registered with further details on how to complete their purchase.
How much does it cost?

Sky TV customers with Sky Sports:
Sky Sports subscribers will be able to subscribe to ESPN for £9 per month
Sky TV customers (not Sky Sports):
Other Sky TV customers will be able to subscribe from £12 per month

Note: Sky TV customers with ESPN and the HD Pack will also be able to watch ESPN HD.
And that's it. Unlike Setanta, there will not be a set-up fee, and when the VAT rate reverts back to 17.5%, we do not plan to change the prices.
Can I subscribe to ESPN without subscribing to Sky Sports? Yes, all Sky TV customers will be able to subscribe to ESPN but it is cheaper if you have Sky Sports.
Sky TV customers without Sky Sports will pay £12 per month, but it's only £9 per month with Sky Sports.
How do I get ESPN HD from Sky? Subscribe to Sky TV with ESPN and the HD Pack.
Is there a minimum term contract? Customers must keep the channel for a minimum of 1 month after upgrading.
Once I become an ESPN customer who do I contact with any Customer Service queries? Sky TV and freesat from Sky customers should contact Sky.
This also means that the monthly subscription charge for ESPN will appear on your Sky bill.
Will Virgin Media, Freeview or Freesat customers be able to watch any of the ESPN channels / ESPN's Premier League games? This is still to be confirmed. Non Sky TV customers should contact their entertainment provider for more details.

Virgin Media - 0845 454 1111 or www.virginmedia.com (http://www.virginmedia.com/)
BT Vision - www.btvision.bt.com (http://www.btvision.bt.com/)
Top Up TV - 08444 158 158

Programming Information

I have ESPN Classic and ESPN America - will I get the Premier League matches through that? No. ESPN Classic is a separate channel from the broadcaster that's available in the News & Events Pack. It's dedicated to reliving some of sports' greatest moments in history.
On 3rd August, ESPN America will come out of the News & Events Pack and rebrand to "ESPN".
How many Barclays Premier League games can I watch next season on ESPN? In addition to the 92 exclusively live matches on Sky Sports, you will be able to watch 46 live matches on ESPN.
Why didn't Sky just buy the rights to the Premier League? The European Commission has decided that no single broadcaster should be allowed to show all 138 Premier League games live, so the rights to show those are sold off in packages. Sky has four of the six viewing packages for the 09/10 season and ESPN has the remaining two viewing packages.
Apart from football, what else can I watch on ESPN? Major league baseball, national hockey league, College basketball & American football and the entire NASCAR series.

Setanta Information

What's happening to the other sports events that Setanta was showing, such as the Scottish Premier League? British Eurosport were awarded the rights to show the remainder of Setanta's coverage of US PGA Tour for this year.
For the remaining tournaments, such as the Scottish Premier League, this has not yet been confirmed. If ESPN secures further sports rights for their channel we will update you.

Petrie's Tache
24-07-2009, 01:41 PM
I just upgraded to ESPN on Sky for £9 a month.

Here is their FAQ:

Am I right in saying at present you will be paying (in terms of football) £9 for premiership games only and as yet the Scottish games may just go on to Sky sports?

TamHibs
24-07-2009, 01:44 PM
No both Sky Sports and ESPN will be showing SPL games its just neither have decided what games they are going to show yet

Sylar
24-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Cheers!

I'm happy to pay the £9 as it will cover the NHL, NCAA, MLB games, with the footie being an added extra!

Easy upgrade process too through the Sky Active button :thumbsup:

Petrie's Tache
24-07-2009, 02:22 PM
No both Sky Sports and ESPN will be showing SPL games its just neither have decided what games they are going to show yet

If the english line up is anything to go by, it will be the bigger games on Sky and the smaller ones on ESPN. You can bet the Infirm will be on every week mind you:agree:

TamHibs
24-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Well I know Sky have reserved the rights for the 4 Old Firm games so whats the chances ESPN take the 4 Edinburgh ones?

Petrie's Tache
24-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Well I know Sky have reserved the rights for the 4 Old Firm games so whats the chances ESPN take the 4 Edinburgh ones?

You never know:agree: I will wait on the schedule being announced before I do anything, that said cant wait to watch the Hibbes in HD:thumbsup:

TamHibs
24-07-2009, 02:32 PM
They are leaving a bit late to put up the schedule tho. Season starts 4 weeks tomorrow I think

stevensons-fan
24-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Can you get ESPN without having Sky? We have Virgin although we have the Sky sports and movies channels because we threatened to leave and got them for free :wink:

cwilliamson85
24-07-2009, 02:45 PM
I think I might just stick to idea I had before. If I cant make a game just going to the pub.

Brando7
24-07-2009, 03:14 PM
I dont have sky sports so there £28 a month n a further £9 for ESPN to watch the same amount of games setanta of £12.99

Or am i missing something here :confused:

Sylar
24-07-2009, 03:25 PM
You don't need Sky Sports to get ESPN.

It's £12 a month instead of £9 if you're not an existing Sky Sports customer.

Swoosh
24-07-2009, 03:28 PM
You don't need Sky Sports to get ESPN.

It's £12 a month instead of £9 if you're not an existing Sky Sports customer.

But you do need Sky Sports to get all the SPL games that setanta offered.

If its a 50/50 Split between Sky and ESPN then yes you need to pay £28 a month. That £28 a month is not including the basic packages you need to take with Sky before you can even get sky sports. Its closer to £50 a month.

jgl07
24-07-2009, 03:36 PM
I dont have sky sports so there £28 a month n a further £9 for ESPN to watch the same amount of games setanta of £12.99

Sounds a brilliant deal to me.

We have to pay more than twice as much as previously.

The clubs get half as much.

Petrie's Tache
24-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Sounds a brilliant deal to me.

We have to pay more than twice as much as previously.

The clubs get half as much.

Sounds good to me:greengrin As I already have the full sky HD package so £9 month for all the footy in HD

anon1
24-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Can you get ESPN without having Sky? We have Virgin although we have the Sky sports and movies channels because we threatened to leave and got them for free :wink:

You should've left, Virgin Media are a load of cobblers.

sahib
24-07-2009, 10:43 PM

Looks like I will have to pay more with less going to the clubs.
Personally I will be exploring all avenues, inorder to watch games, with out paying any money to that Murdoch chap.

Jay
24-07-2009, 11:21 PM

ESPN is a premium channel on virgin just now. I am waiting to see what they will do now that we lost Setanta. XL customers are losing out now.

iwasthere1972
24-07-2009, 11:33 PM

That's the way I see it. Over £400 a year to ensure that you see Hibs on the tellybox. The argument will be that you will also be able to view EPL matches etc but still does not alter the fact that you have to pay that amount to ensure that you get all the games featuring the might cabbage.

We've been had. :agree:

Petrie get it sorted. :grr:

iwasthere1972
24-07-2009, 11:44 PM
ESPN is a premium channel on virgin just now. I am waiting to see what they will do now that we lost Setanta. XL customers are losing out now.

I can see a lot of people changing from Virgin to Sky especially if they have to pay extra to watch the SPL and more so if it's only for half the games. I really can't see ESPN accepting £1 per customer which I think is the amount the Richard Branson paid Setanta to enable Virgin to include it in the XL package.

Hope what I have said turns out to be a load of cobblers (wouldn't be the first time I suppose) and you get a decent deal but somehow I don't think you will.

Sylar
24-07-2009, 11:52 PM
But you do need Sky Sports to get all the SPL games that setanta offered.

If its a 50/50 Split between Sky and ESPN then yes you need to pay £28 a month. That £28 a month is not including the basic packages you need to take with Sky before you can even get sky sports. Its closer to £50 a month.

Touche! Never considered the split in coverage actually....

cabbageandribs1875
25-07-2009, 01:28 AM
sure i read somewhere that sky have the four old squirm games, i'l pay the £12 for the 30 ESPN games(which means having to get a freeview box with a card slot in it now :grr:), murdoch's sky can go and take a flying one :agree:

Jay
25-07-2009, 07:28 AM
I can see a lot of people changing from Virgin to Sky especially if they have to pay extra to watch the SPL and more so if it's only for half the games. I really can't see ESPN accepting £1 per customer which I think is the amount the Richard Branson paid Setanta to enable Virgin to include it in the XL package.

Hope what I have said turns out to be a load of cobblers (wouldn't be the first time I suppose) and you get a decent deal but somehow I don't think you will.

I already have Sky sports though so I should get half the games for what I am already paying. If its more money I will just live without ESPN. I would rather give 30 odd quid per year to HI and just listen live then watch extended highlights.

down-the-slope
25-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Help please - I'm not thick, just tired Jet Lagged and can't be bothered wading through of the info & mis-information I have missed over last 3 weeks away.

What will be available via freeview / Top up tv (have big widescreen jobby with card slot) for what games and at what cost?

Unless you have no life then Sky is way overpriced for the amount you actually want to watch (rather than what you do just because you have paid for it)

Jay
25-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Help please - I'm not thick, just tired Jet Lagged and can't be bothered wading through of the info & mis-information I have missed over last 3 weeks away.

What will be available via freeview / Top up tv (have big widescreen jobby with card slot) for what games and at what cost?

Unless you have no life then Sky is way overpriced for the amount you actually want to watch (rather than what you do just because you have paid for it)

I dont think thats been confirmed yet.

Quote from first post - saves you the read :greengrin

Will Virgin Media, Freeview or Freesat customers be able to watch any of the ESPN channels / ESPN's Premier League games? This is still to be confirmed. Non Sky TV customers should contact their entertainment provider for more details.
BT Vision - www.btvision.bt.com
Top Up TV - 08444 158 158

Worth a phone call to whoever?

HH81
25-07-2009, 08:00 AM
The old satanta station shows ESPN on freeview during the day and there is a message saying they are working hard to bring it to freeview for the comig seaon and to call a number for more information.

rightwinger
25-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Can anyone confirm whether SKY multiroom customers upgrading to ESPN will also get the channel to their secondary box(es).

Either way - £9pm - looks a must for all non-OF fans.

Hiber-nation
25-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Can anyone confirm whether SKY multiroom customers upgrading to ESPN will also get the channel to their secondary box(es).

Either way - £9pm - looks a must for all non-OF fans.

According to this it looks like you only need to pay the £9 for the 2 boxes. :thumbsup:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1066536

Pete70
25-07-2009, 04:17 PM
I already have Sky sports though so I should get half the games for what I am already paying. If its more money I will just live without ESPN. I would rather give 30 odd quid per year to HI and just listen live then watch extended highlights.

I have the Virgin XL package with Sky Sports as an add-on and that's exactly why I've done. This is the first time I have subscribed to HI and I'm quite happy with it so far. Should be well worth the £33.99 once the season is underway.

If Virgin include ESPN as an extra for free as they did with Setanta then fine I won't complain. There's no way I'll be paying for it though.

dhmf
25-07-2009, 06:00 PM
I was told by virgin that espn will be free like setanta was on the xl package

MSK
25-07-2009, 06:10 PM
I was told by virgin that espn will be free like setanta was on the xl packageWas that by letter or phone call ...?...

Crab apple
25-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Was that by letter or phone call ...?...

It would be good to know. Last time I phoned they said they were still in discussions about whether it will be offered in the same way Setanta was to XL customers.

Sylar
03-08-2009, 05:53 PM
As an added bit of info (confirmed today, prior to the launch of ESPN tonight at 8pm), ESPN America won't be disappearing, but will feature as an additional channel as part of the bundle, and will continue to show American Sports.

I have to say, I'm glad, as I did worry that they would opt (understandably) for European sports ahead of the lesser followed US Sports.

MLL, NCAAF, MLB, NHL, MLS, NCAAMB, NASCAR, Pardon the Interruption, Around the Horn, Baseball Tonight, College Football Live and Jim Rome will all still feature on ESPN America, which is now channel 430.

Most of the football will be shown on channel 417 (old ESPN America), with some of the MLS coverage and MNT fixtures being shown on ESPN America!

Scorrie
03-08-2009, 06:02 PM
I was told by virgin that espn will be free like setanta was on the xl package

:agree: If you're on Vigin, you get ESPN free for this month (August) After that, if you have the XL package, ESPN is free just like the Setanta arrangement. It's on the Virgin website for more information. Pretty sure Falkirk v Hibs is on ESPN on 22nd August at lunchtime.

mim
03-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Three ESPN channels have arrived today on the Virgin Media XL package at no extra cost.

ESPN (The new channel)
ESPN America (which previously required an extra sub.)
ESPN Classics

Excellento. :thumbsup:

Spike Mandela
03-08-2009, 06:33 PM
FYI

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1821105

Broken Gnome
03-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Think I might spend the night getting acquainted with a new friend. Kenny Dalglish documentary in 25 minutes? That'll do for starters.

Dirkster23
03-08-2009, 07:07 PM
:agree: If you're on Vigin, you get ESPN free for this month (August) After that, if you have the XL package, ESPN is free just like the Setanta arrangement. It's on the Virgin website for more information. Pretty sure Falkirk v Hibs is on ESPN on 22nd August at lunchtime.

Yeah, that's what Virgin told me yesterday. I've got ESPN free until the end of August and then i'll upgrade to the XL package and get it free :thumbsup:

MSK
03-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Three ESPN channels have arrived today on the Virgin Media XL package at no extra cost.

ESPN (The new channel)
ESPN America (which previously required an extra sub.)
ESPN Classics

Excellento. :thumbsup:Channels 529..530..(HD)...531.. (America)...533.. (Classic)....superb ...:thumbsup:

Danderhall Hibs
04-08-2009, 08:13 AM
This thread’s a good advert for ESPN. :wink:

£9 a month to get ½ the amount of games that Setanta charged me £12 for? Shouldn’t it be about £6 per month?

God Petrie
04-08-2009, 10:20 AM
This thread’s a good advert for ESPN. :wink:

£9 a month to get ½ the amount of games that Setanta charged me £12 for? Shouldn’t it be about £6 per month?

I wonder why they aren't using the exact same business model as a company who went bust. :rolleyes:

J-C
04-08-2009, 10:25 AM
I just upgraded on saurday, pressed the wee red button on Sky, went through everything and now have ch417 on my screen giving me ESPN showing last seasons EPL football. Also noticed that Setanta Ireland has totally vanished and been replaced with ESPN America.

Danderhall Hibs
04-08-2009, 11:05 AM
I wonder why they aren't using the exact same business model as a company who went bust. :rolleyes:

Do you? It's because it wouldn't make business sense.

What they should be doing is trying to encourage people who didn't subscribe to Setanta to subscribe with them - I don't think effectively charging more money for less product will do that. I think they need some kind of an incentive.

Do you really think charging more for less is the way to go? :confused:

NGP
04-08-2009, 07:15 PM
BT Vision customers who had free setanta through one of their value packages are getting ESPN - confirmed on the BT website. :thumbsup:

RoxburghHibs
04-08-2009, 07:45 PM
You should've left, Virgin Media are a load of cobblers.

VirginMedia is cobblers :confused:

They are offering this channel FREE with Excel packages which is far cheaper than Sky. I only have Sky because I'm in a non-cabled area :boo hoo:

iwasthere1972
04-08-2009, 09:55 PM
As a Sky customer who used to subscribe to Sky Sports but discontinued it recently as to be truthful the cost didn't justify the number of games I used to watch. A couple a month if I was lucky.

Now to guarantee seeing all Hibs games on Sky/ESPN I would have to subscribe again to Sky Sports at £27.50 per month plus ESPN for £9.00 per month. £36.50 per month in total. All very well if you intend to watch EPL matches etc but on the basis that I would have to pay that much to get the Hibs games then it's a total rip off. :agree:

Until such times when a more attractively priced package is available for SPL games then it will be Easter Road/away grounds or visits to the pub on Hibs match days for me.

heretoday
04-08-2009, 09:58 PM
So no baseball then?

mim
04-08-2009, 10:01 PM
The old satanta station shows ESPN on freeview during the day and there is a message saying they are working hard to bring it to freeview for the comig seaon and to call a number for more information.

I believe it is now available on the Freeview platform from Top Up TV.

Sylar
05-08-2009, 09:16 AM
So no baseball then?

Eh?

ESPN America is on channel 430 as a standalone, which has the same existing coverage - ESPN will also show the occassional matchup.

Why do people not read threads before posting on them :confused: