PDA

View Full Version : Hibs shirts in strange places

Joe's ice cream
23-07-2009, 08:47 PM
I know that this has been done before, but had to add my own after seeing a London cab driver getting out his cab today outside the high court to head into a sandwhich shop wearing a Hibs shirt from a couple of years ago!!!

Took all that i could not to grab my son, run over the road and start trying to sing Hibs songs at him!!

At least it made up for the tube journey earlier in the day with Celtic fans banging on about everything Glasgow, including the classic the underground in Glasgow pi**es over this London effort!!! :blah::blah:

ScapeGoat
23-07-2009, 09:11 PM
The only top to be seen on Praiha do Forte (Salvador, Brazil).
The bloke must have been surprised when I waltzed up to him to inform him of the intertoto score!
Nice holiday only problem was Brazil being knocked out the WC by Henry.:boo hoo:

HibeeUnderwood
23-07-2009, 09:40 PM
the strangest place I ever saw a Hibs shirt was on Colin Murdocks torso! :agree: :grr:

O'Rourke3
23-07-2009, 09:59 PM
1991 Inside one of the great pyramids at Giza, I was in the tunnel getting in, he was coming up the tunnel getting out. Could only shout Hibby. It was a Saturday afternoon about 3:00 local time - very apt I thought.

Hopefully he hadn't been in there since the last time we won the cup:rolleyes:

FranckSuzy
23-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Big bro, who lives in Oz, had a friend who was in Sydney a few years ago, en route to visit him. While out and about, met another Hibby who recognised the yellow away 'Brazil' strip and the guy says to Big Bro's friend "do you know ___ ___(big bro)? 12,000 miles away?! Mad :thumbsup:

P.S Hope that made sense. If no, whatever!

ElginHibee
23-07-2009, 10:24 PM
There's one floating about western Honshu, Japan. I sent it out to one of my mates a year or two ago! :thumbsup:

hibbie02
23-07-2009, 10:28 PM
1991 Inside one of the great pyramids at Giza, I was in the tunnel getting in, he was coming up the tunnel getting out. Could only shout Hibby. It was a Saturday afternoon about 3:00 local time - very apt I thought.

Hopefully he hadn't been in there since the last time we won the cup:rolleyes:

I was spotted on the top of the Temple of Kukulkan at Chitzen Itza in a Hibs top by a Hun if tha counts. :greengrin

Iain G
23-07-2009, 11:01 PM
There is an urban myth that a man in a Hibs jersey was spotted in Gorgie once, a few years ago, the legend goes that nobody knew what happened to that man since or even what happened to him before that day, and that all that he had aspired to be before was no more, all that is known is that he had a shock of red hair and the emerald green had the number 6 on the back of it...but it has all lost in the murky mists of time... :devil:

Riordans Boots
23-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Last year on holiday in Turkey, my hubby gave one of the bartenders his hibs top :agree: and had him singing hibs songs as well :thumbsup:

blaikie
23-07-2009, 11:12 PM
I know that this has been done before, but had to add my own after seeing a London cab driver getting out his cab today outside the high court to head into a sandwhich shop wearing a Hibs shirt from a couple of years ago!!!

Took all that i could not to grab my son, run over the road and start trying to sing Hibs songs at him!!

At least it made up for the tube journey earlier in the day with Celtic fans banging on about everything Glasgow, including the classic the underground in Glasgow pi**es over this London effort!!! :blah::blah:
:greengrin Well that's a new low for them. I know of a Celtic fan through work. Who refuses to go on the Glasgow underground, Because its orange :faf::rolleyes:

Back on subject :cool2: ...
Strangest place Ive seen Hibs shirts, Has got to be a family in Gran Canaria. From the oldest to the youngest they all had Hibs shirts and shorts on :thumbsup:

NWalesHibby
23-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Flying back from Brunei last xmas, met a fellow hibby outside Hooters in Singapore.........was en route to Oz.
Of course worn mine here in Brunei a few times.......
:thumbsup::thumbsup::flag:

blackpoolhibs
23-07-2009, 11:35 PM
I know tenerife is not such a strange place, but i used to work in a bar over from the football ground, and imagine how strange it was to see 20 odd hibs strips come out of there one evening. I asked one of them what they were doing, and they had hired the pitch for a kickabout.:thumbsup:

SmithyHibee
24-07-2009, 12:27 AM
Some of you might have seen this already but I'm sure there's a Hibs top in Enter Shikari's new video No Sleep Tonight! :confused:

The_Horde
24-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Some of you might have seen this already but I'm sure there's a Hibs top in Enter Shikari's new video No Sleep Tonight! :confused:

Pretty sure he pots on here too. :agree:

Riordans Boots
24-07-2009, 12:36 AM

This one :thumbsup:

http://www.totallyfuzzy.net/ourtube/enter-shikari/no-sleep-tonight-video_9aff549c2.html

SmithyHibee
24-07-2009, 12:47 AM
That's the one man, nicely slipped in! There's one of the yellow strips with Riordan on the back from the first time he was with us kicking about in Africa somewhere, I sent it away for a charity thing at the school :greengrin

hibsboy90
24-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Given out a couple of Hibs strips to people in malawi when there a few years back. Also, when climbing Mt Mulanje whilst their, one of the porters turned up with a hibees jacket on.

Joy Zipper
24-07-2009, 07:36 AM
Date - September 2000
Place - Central Sofia, Bulgaria

Whilst wandering through the centre of town I came across a shop called "Sport fanatic". Looked in the window and was amazed to see Hibs training tops !

They were supplied by Le Coq at the time and the shop had other teams Le Coq merchandise too (I seem to remember seeing a Man City training top).

Hank Schrader
24-07-2009, 07:41 AM
There is an episode of the Australian TV series Kath and Kim where in the background of a Melbourne shopping mall scene there is a bloke in a big Hibs jacket. Near fell off my seat when I seen it!

HibeeEmma
03-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Given out a couple of Hibs strips to people in malawi when there a few years back. Also, when climbing Mt Mulanje whilst their, one of the porters turned up with a hibees jacket on.

I went to Malawi and saw a few people with Hibs strips on.

Plus I know the guy in your picture, his name is Frances but he also has a hearts top and would rotate them every few days.

MacBean
03-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Kasurdi Fatye, Pune District, Maharastra, India (population of about 300 people)

There are about 20 kids with Old hibs tops that i took over with me to hand out.

Some were kindly donated to me from friends, and my brothers football team (edinburgh city) donated 22 of their old full kits for me to take over.

as you can imagine the kids were overjoyed!!

hibsboy90
03-09-2009, 11:53 AM
I went to Malawi and saw a f
ew people with Hibs strips on.

Plus I know the guy in your picture, his name is Frances but he also has a hearts top and would rotate them every few days.

Yup, Francis was our guide, and george our driver, shirts were too big for the kids we were with.

Hearts strip that Francis has was given to him by the previous trip that our school did, thought that i had to even them out.

Haymaker
03-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Wandering around Reading Festival one year I bumped into a bloke wearing the Green and Purple legendary shirt and had a quick chat. I think we discussed the score for that day my dad had text through.

stirwill
03-09-2009, 12:37 PM
There's a Hibs top floating about in Esfahan in Iran somewhere

I gave it to one of the local dudes while traveling through a few years ago

Spudster
03-09-2009, 01:00 PM
I walked into a sports shop in Orlando in 91 and the girl said she had the same top as me that someone had given her, said she slept in it.
It was this one http://www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk/images/thumb_medium/Hibernian-89-Home.jpg

StevieC
03-09-2009, 01:03 PM
I found one on the top shelf of the wardrobe ..

.. which is pretty strange because they are usually kept in the second drawer down.

:hmmm:

iwasthere1972
03-09-2009, 01:07 PM
I found one on the top shelf of the wardrobe ..

.. which is pretty strange because they are usually kept in the second drawer down.

:hmmm:

:top marks That's my sense of humour level.

MSK
03-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Not so much a strange place but it was unusual to see so many hibs tops/shorts etc on a plane to Turkey a few weeks back...most times ive been on a plane its been full of gers/celtic fans ..

There was also a young lad from England who was proudly sporting his hibs top a few sun beds along from me :flag:

rightwinger
03-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Any darts fans who have Phil Taylor's autobiography will see a picture of his son wearing the old purple away strip from 1992 in the inserts. Never knew Stoke to be big Hibs country.

There was a lot of people wearing Hibs tops in Stranraer circa 1998-99 - let's hope those days never return.

Bayern Bru
03-09-2009, 01:29 PM
I've worn Hibs shirts in Malaysia and Vietnam, and the day we beat Livi 3-0 in that semi final, we bumped into a guy wearing (IIRC) one of the purple away kits (http://www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk/images/Hibernian-01-Away-LS.jpg that one I think) - anyway, we asked him if he'd heard the score and without batting an eyelid told us.

:greengrin

Zorro
03-09-2009, 01:56 PM

ah yes, the wee one that goes round in one circle that you can't stand up straight in if you're 6 foot or taller?!!!

When I was backpacking I wore my Hibs top loads - have pix of me in it in India/Thailand and by Ayers Rock in Oz - stayed in Perth for a while and got chatting to some Hibbies at a Perth Glory match! I always enjoy seeing a Hibs top in distant places!!

CyberSauzee
03-09-2009, 02:03 PM
There was a thread a while back about Craig McEwan's trainer Freddie Roach wearing a Hibs top getting into the ring after his fight this time last year. Here's the clip, 4 mins and a few seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQi-H0LqUlY

JoeTortolanoFanClub
03-09-2009, 02:09 PM

I saw one not far from there too... http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?p=1871962&highlight=mozambique#post1871962

I also saw someone wearing the shirt with the stripy sleeves from the mid 90s at Zimbru's Europa League qualifier with Pacos de Ferreira in Chisinau a few weeks ago.

Hibees here...Hibees there...:thumbsup:

Hibs_dot_com
03-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Just back from Argassi (Zante) and on the day of the Hibs/Celtic match a barman in the local cafe was wearing a Hibs strip with Cairnsy on the back :thumbsup:

And the Beer Academy in Argassi had a Hibs strip pinned on the ceiling (amongst lots of other strips/pennants/scarves) :greengrin

MrRobot
03-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Pretty sure he pots on here too. :agree:

:cool2:

PISTOL1875
03-09-2009, 04:28 PM
I was in Faliraki with my mates about 6 years ago.. We went into the local newsagent and behind the counter was the owner with a Hibs top and Hibs pictures on the wall...

We asked him about the Hibs and he then started playing '' glory glory '' on his CD Player...

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pete70
03-09-2009, 04:38 PM
<<<<Wearing mine 3 years ago at the Rogers Centre (Skydome) Toronto during a Blue Jays v Yankees Baseball game

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Hampden end of may, nah only joking.:faf:

.Louise.
03-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Spotted a guy in Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt last year with the 07/08 home strip on!

Borders Hibby
03-09-2009, 05:13 PM
In a museum in Barga!

Hibtastic
03-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Proclaimers gig in Liverpool - tonnes of Hibs shirts. Made me feel right at home!

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-09-2009, 05:25 PM
On the landing floor of the woman two floors up, three weeks ago...the same week her old man had over-nighter hauling machine parts to Frankfurt.:wink:

fife hfc
03-09-2009, 05:48 PM
On a school trip to Russia (when it was USSR) in 1990, I swapped a Hands of Hibs t-shirt for a stolen soldiers hat (missed the opportunity a few years ago to sell it to the vladsheep) :greengrin The boy put it on right away and saw him wearing it 3 days later (probably still wearing it today).

also made sure I got my photo taken wearing my Hibs top in Red square.

wpj
03-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Proclaimers gig in Liverpool - tonnes of Hibs shirts. Made me feel right at home!

Wasthat last November? i was there with the cup winners 07 t-shirt on :greengrin

LancashireHibby
03-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Saw a family wearing Hibs tops in Magaluf a few years ago on the day we drew 2-2 (I think) with Hertz at ER, pretty sure Benji scored our second.

I had my Hibs top on and asked them where they were watching the game, they replied "what game?":dunno:

Jim44
03-09-2009, 06:34 PM
At a beach party in the Dominican Republic about ten years ago I spotted a local in a Hibs top, giving the Marenge big licks. I'm sure he didn't have a clue who Hibs were, however.

Trevmundo
03-09-2009, 07:50 PM
1st post so be gentle - but 35 years of the 'bees behind me .. but anyhow,

Family holiday which ended in 4 days in Marrakech and as we were walking through the market/medina near the main square my eldest lad and I spy a Hibby shirt - so we risked a trip in to a "stall" and there it was a 2008 shirt so we introduced ourselves and congratulated the guy on being a football afficianado. He turned round and had Zemmama on the back but my lad told him he thought Benji was good too. Morrocan chap says "I hope he stays with CELTIC too" - me and my dirhams left quickly

ArabHibee
03-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Venice, Italy

StokePogesHibs
03-09-2009, 09:20 PM
You can see every home strip since the late 60's in Stoke Poges.....a proud collection/addiction.

HibeeEmma
04-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Yup, Francis was our guide, and george our driver, shirts were too big for the kids we were with.

Hearts strip that Francis has was given to him by the previous trip that our school did, thought that i had to even them out.

yea i lived in the village and knew him quite well. Really good guy and great guide! Yea his Hearts strip seemed older.

Small World

Chuckie
04-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I used to burgle houses as a younger man (not something I am proud of but we all do silly things while developing).

Me and my partner cased out this house (I wont say where), and it looked like rich pickings. It was quiet and dark inside so we got the tools out, and entered through the front door.

As we made our way through the house we could hear a television in a far off room. It sounded like there was a football match being played. Intrigued we crept forward towards the room where the commentary was coming from, and it became clear it was the Hibs V Hearts 6-2 game blasting out.

I thought 'Well this is a bit surreal', and was drawn towards the room. As I approached the door to the room the commentary got louder and louder and I could hear it ringing in my ears 'Russell Latapy twisting, turning, lovely one-two'....... I stuck my head round the door and there was Gary Mckay bollock naked except for a Hibs top with 'Kano' on the back, kneeling on the floor in front of a 50inch television on the vinegar strokes!!! 'That..... is... absolutely wonderful.... from Russell Latapy... 6 of the best for Hibs... they've been... just stunning....'

As Mckay slumped to the floor I shook my head in disbelief and creeped quickly around the rest of the house looking for medals or silverware. Alas there weren't any.

Peevemor
04-09-2009, 09:54 AM
I used to burgle houses as a younger man (not something I am proud of but we all do silly things while developing).

Me and my partner cased out this house (I wont say where), and it looked like rich pickings. It was quiet and dark inside so we got the tools out, and entered through the front door.

As we made our way through the house we could hear a television in a far off room. It sounded like there was a football match being played. Intrigued we crept forward towards the room where the commentary was coming from, and it became clear it was the Hibs V Hearts 6-2 game blasting out.

I thought 'Well this is a bit surreal', and was drawn towards the room. As I approached the door to the room the commentary got louder and louder and I could hear it ringing in my ears 'Russell Latapy twisting, turning, lovely one-two'....... I stuck my head round the door and there was Gary Mckay bollock naked except for a Hibs top with 'Kano' on the back, kneeling on the floor in front of a 50inch television on the vinegar strokes!!! 'That..... is... absolutely wonderful.... from Russell Latapy... 6 of the best for Hibs... they've been... just stunning....'

As Mckay slumped to the floor I shook my head in disbelief and creeped quickly around the rest of the house looking for medals or silverware. Alas there weren't any.

:faf:

Judas Iscariot
04-09-2009, 09:58 AM

:bitchy:

Totally graceless and classless..

Edinburgh Green
04-09-2009, 09:59 AM

:thumbsup: epic!

tamsonsbairn
04-09-2009, 11:01 AM
:thumbsup:There should be 5 guys from zagreb with hibs tops on, they were in tamsons the day after their game with the big team,they told us they were delighted to find some friendly faces in edinburgh, they didnt rate the jambos very much, s**t team s**t stadium, we made sure they left leith with hibs tops, scarves etc, we received in return dynamo t shirts,and i received a dynamo strip, a very drunk 5 guys went home to zagreb singing hibs songs. :thumbsup:

Moulin Yarns
04-09-2009, 11:26 AM
I wonder what happened to the stuff that was on the wall of the Blarney Stone W. 32nd Street, Manhattan?

h18sfn
04-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Spotted a guy in Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt last year with the 07/08 home strip on!
that was me:bye:

Steve-O
05-09-2009, 01:21 AM
There is one on the wall of the Backbencher pub here in Wellington, although I think ginger_eejit who posts on here is responsible for that one :agree:

One of the black away tops IIRC.

bob12345
05-09-2009, 05:00 AM
Maine, USA. One of the parents of the kids at our club came to the opening presentation wearing the purple and green striped calor gas strip!

Jamesie
05-09-2009, 10:19 AM
At a Portland Timbers v San Jose Earthquakes MSL game in Portland, Oregon in July 2004.

HibeeJoxy
05-09-2009, 10:49 AM
A few years back I went on my hols with the lads to Goa (India). They are football mad over there and we bumped into this 1 local lad who had made a hobby of collecting strips from the tourists at any cost (beg, steel or borrow never to be returned!!!)

To my utter disgust, near the bottom of the pile of his many Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea etc. strips, he had a HEARTS strip :jamboak:

He had spotted my Hibs strip on the first day we met him and was desperate to add it to his collection, but thankfully security in our hotel was pretty good.

Anyway cut a long storey short, last day of our holiday I struck a deal with the lad (after a few beers). I would leave him my beautiful beloved strip if he agreed to burn that revolting maroon and white strip he had in his collection. :devil: He went straight home, brought the Hearts strip round to the hotel. I got a call from reception to say someone wanted to see me and there he was in the car park with the strip.

The deal was done, I called the lads down and got one to bring his new strip. We all pissed ourselves with laughter as we watched him set the Hearts strip on fire and duly gave him his prize!!!! :faf::faf::faf:

I miss that strip, but that has to be the highlight of the whole 2 week holiday.

So somewhere in Goa, there is a Hibs strip and a Hearts strip in ashes!!!!

:agree:

Chuckie
05-09-2009, 11:42 AM
A few years back I went on my hols with the lads to Goa (India). They are football mad over there and we bumped into this 1 local lad who had made a hobby of collecting strips from the tourists at any cost (beg, steel or borrow never to be returned!!!)

To my utter disgust, near the bottom of the pile of his many Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea etc. strips, he had a HEARTS strip :jamboak:

He had spotted my Hibs strip on the first day we met him and was desperate to add it to his collection, but thankfully security in our hotel was pretty good.

Anyway cut a long storey short, last day of our holiday I struck a deal with the lad (after a few beers). I would leave him my beautiful beloved strip if he agreed to burn that revolting maroon and white strip he had in his collection. :devil: He went straight home, brought the Hearts strip round to the hotel. I got a call from reception to say someone wanted to see me and there he was in the car park with the strip.

The deal was done, I called the lads down and got one to bring his new strip. We all pissed ourselves with laughter as we watched him set the Hearts strip on fire and duly gave him his prize!!!! :faf::faf::faf:

I miss that strip, but that has to be the highlight of the whole 2 week holiday.

So somewhere in Goa, there is a Hibs strip and a Hearts strip in ashes!!!!

:agree:

I love you.

mmmmhibby
05-09-2009, 12:02 PM
theres a hibs top in the crown n anchor pub in las vegas

strummbo
05-09-2009, 12:52 PM
nepal up a hillside, the maoist guerilla's have a few... :)

persevere1875
05-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Saw a local guy wearing a hands of hibs top in Altinkum, Turkey a few years ago, turns out when I got home it was my Uncles who gave it to him two/three years previous. Also got stopped by a cheepy cheepy bloke outside a bar in spain this year while I was wearing my top who gave me the scores so far this season including friendlies and a full run down on every contribution Zemamma had made just incase I'd missed anything, Morrocan bloke he was, defo missing a marketing opportunity there :wink: