PDA

View Full Version : Golf - The Augusta Masters Thread

macca70
08-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Who does everyone fancy for the Masters? :confused:

Here's 5 I fancy, obviously it's easy to pick out the Big Guns; Woods, Paddy and Phil but here's 5 that I fancy:

Stenson - Fairly decent record at Augusta, done well at Shell Houston open last weekend
Baddeley - Hits the baw a mile and decent putter, he's about 3rd on PGA tour for putts per round
Ollie Wilson - Making his debut at the Masters but he went to college near Augusta and lived locally so he is no stranger to the course.
Couples - Doing well on the PGA Tour this season and good record at Augusta despite even though he is getting on a bit
Langer - Doing well on Seniors Tour just now and knows Augusta really well, also has a decent record here

Whats everyones thoughts??

Sylar
08-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Woods - looking better week in, week out at the minute and will be fired up for his first major since winning the US Open. It would be crazy to think he won't be in contention.

Casey - course is set up for someone like him to attack - he's been playing really well this season and is due a major. He could be a good shout!

Villegas - has been striking the ball beautifully of late, but hasn't mastered the art of scoring yet - he's my outsider, as once he clicks, he's going to be a good success.

McIlroy - and why not? He's been playing some superb golf and has one of the most technically beautiful golf swings I've seen.

Garcia - tee to green, he's been superb this season. If his putter can come good this weekend, he's as good a chance as any!

Singh - same as Tiger - he's always going to be chasing and is dangerous when he gets going.

I must admit, I really can see Tiger stepping up this week - he'll be desperate to get back to winning ways (in terms of majors) and he's looked ever-better as the weeks progress.

Can't wait for it :thumbsup:

sunshine1875
08-04-2009, 03:49 PM
My top three are:

1st Mickelson
2nd Casey
3rd Cink

Surprise element (there always is one) - Olie Wilson - has the temperment to do well at Augusta

If Woods plays well - he wins. Think it may be too soon for him to win a major following his return to golf.

IWasThere2016
08-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Woods - looking better week in, week out at the minute and will be fired up for his first major since winning the US Open. It would be crazy to think he won't be in contention.

Casey - course is set up for someone like him to attack - he's been playing really well this season and is due a major. He could be a good shout!

Villegas - has been striking the ball beautifully of late, but hasn't mastered the art of scoring yet - he's my outsider, as once he clicks, he's going to be a good success.

McIlroy - and why not? He's been playing some superb golf and has one of the most technically beautiful golf swings I've seen.

Garcia - tee to green, he's been superb this season. If his putter can come good this weekend, he's as good a chance as any!

Singh - same as Tiger - he's always going to be chasing and is dangerous when he gets going.

I must admit, I really can see Tiger stepping up this week - he'll be desperate to get back to winning ways (in terms of majors) and he's looked ever-better as the weeks progress.

Hard to disagree with any of that! :agree:

macca70
08-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Who does everyone fancy for the Masters? :confused:

Here's 5 I fancy, obviously it's easy to pick out the Big Guns; Woods, Paddy and Phil but here's 5 that I fancy:

Stenson - Fairly decent record at Augusta, done well at Shell Houston open last weekend
Baddeley - Hits the baw a mile and decent putter, he's about 3rd on PGA tour for putts per round
Ollie Wilson - Making his debut at the Masters but he went to college near Augusta and lived locally so he is no stranger to the course.
Couples - Doing well on the PGA Tour this season and good record at Augusta despite even though he is getting on a bit
Langer - Doing well on Seniors Tour just now and knows Augusta really well, also has a decent record here

Whats everyones thoughts??

Also missed out Appleby, think he will be in with a shout come Sunday

macca70
08-04-2009, 05:25 PM

Vellegas is your outsider :rolleyes: he's about 10th in the betting.

McIroy making his debut, no debutant has won at Augusta, not to saty he wont win but think there will be too much hype around him and out in the last group, the group after Tiger, think there will be too many distractions.

Singh and Garcia's putting is absolutely shocking, no chance of winning around Augusta with putting stats like theres IMO

Langer 800/1 on Betfair and Couples 200/1 on Betfair, get on them.

Stenson at 50/1 and Appleby at about 150/1 is good value:agree:

Gaffer1875
08-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I love this time of year, you know your golf season has started when 'Agusta National' starts :thumbsup:

I'm tipping Mcllroy, Adam Scott, Stenson, Boo Weekley and Couples to have a good week.

Woods will be there but i'd love to see young Rory in the last group with him come Sunday :agree:

greenlex
08-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Par 3 contest Live on BBC TONIGHT. :thumbsup:Red button at 20.00 till 22.00
No one winning the per three contest has ever one the main event.

greenlex
08-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Three ball just tee'd off. Nicklaus, Palmer and Player. :thumbsup:

Sylar
08-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Been an experience watching Palmer, Nicklaus and Player! Glad I got the chance to see them playing, albeit at the end of their careers'.

Coverage on the BBC starts tomorrow from 15:45, with interactive coverage of Amen Corner.

Greg Norman, Tim Clark, John Merrick and Gary Player* have all scored holes'-in-one on the Par 3 challenge thus far!
*technically it was a par, after the first went into the water!

Can't wait!

The Sundance Kid
09-04-2009, 10:39 AM
The three that I fancy are: Stewart Cink, Jim Furyk and Geoff Ogilvy. So often at Augusta the best putter wins and feel that these are three players who have it in them to win it.

Just hope to god it isn't Mickelson or Woods running away with it.

IWasThere2016
09-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Wonderful Woods! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/7333591.stm) :top marks

ACES!! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/7991063.stm) :thumbsup:

Higgy115
09-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Ogilvy 20/1
Watney 50/1
Chad Campbell 150/1
Goosen 28/1

I also think Mickleson has a great shout again this year.....

Golden Bear
09-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Wonderful Woods! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/7333591.stm) :top marks

ACES!! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/7991063.stm) :thumbsup:

That ba' would never have gone in if it had Le Coq motif on it!

Tiger is the best golfer in the world without a shadow of doubt but I often think that he's the luckiest as well.

:not worth

Cod Boy
09-04-2009, 03:27 PM
done poulter each way at 100/1 why i dont know
and got justin rose in works sweep

HibbyScott
09-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Can you still put bets on after the tournament has started? Forgot to do it today or yesterday and quite fancy a wee punt

greenlex
09-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Can you still put bets on after the tournament has started? Forgot to do it today or yesterday and quite fancy a wee punt

Aye Scott but obviously the odds will have changed a bit.

BroxburnHibee
09-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Aye Scott but obviously the odds will have changed a bit.

I suspect if it keeps going like this then the odds for Tiger will be even shorter :greengrin

BTW anyone else think this guy Shane 'O' Donoghue who interviews the players is a bit of an erse.

Poulter gave him short shrift from his stupid questions.

Sylar
09-04-2009, 11:00 PM
I suspect if it keeps going like this then the odds for Tiger will be even shorter :greengrin

BTW anyone else think this guy Shane 'O' Donoghue who interviews the players is a bit of an erse.

Poulter gave him short shrift from his stupid questions.

Aye, Garcia seemed less than impressed by him as well.

Why the hell have their been no hole's-in-one yet. Don't these amateurs know I've got buttons riding on their inability to find the cup!!! :grr:

:wink:

IWasThere2016
09-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Ogilvy 20/1
Watney 50/1
Chad Campbell 150/1
Goosen 28/1

I also think Mickleson has a great shout again this year.....

Hope that's e/w!

That ba' would never have gone in if it had Le Coq motif on it!

Tiger is the best golfer in the world without a shadow of doubt but I often think that he's the luckiest as well.

:not worth

STILL the one to beat .. and its hard to see past him!

Golden Bear
10-04-2009, 08:53 AM
The BBC's coverage of the Masters still has something missing in the way of atmosphere. This could be a consequence of the commentators broadcasting from a sound proof studio which does not catch the crowd atmosphere from the course.

There is a marked difference in the Beeb coverage when compared with the American broadcast live from "Amen Corner" which can be received via the red button on your remote. They seem to capture much more excitement simply because the background noise of the crowd etc is much more in evidence.

Houchy
10-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Backed Tiger yesterday morning at 9/4 on Blue square then £20 at 5/2 when he got back to level.

Thought he played some great stuff yesterday but was reminiscent of last year when he never got it going on the greens.

I think 70 was the highest he could have shot yesterday and left 3 or 4 shots out on the course.

I think with the easier conditions (morning tee off with receptive greens from the dew) he'll go low today with a -5 or -6:agree:

IWasThere2016
10-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Backed Tiger yesterday morning at 9/4 on Blue square then £20 at 5/2 when he got back to level.

Thought he played some great stuff yesterday but was reminiscent of last year when he never got it going on the greens.

I think 70 was the highest he could have shot yesterday and left 3 or 4 shots out on the course.

I think with the easier conditions (morning tee off with receptive greens from the dew) he'll go low today with a -5 or -6:agree:

Good shout H .. I'm backing Mize, Hamilton and McDowell e/w now

Tobias Funke
10-04-2009, 12:06 PM
I got Hunter Mahan £5 e/w at 75/1 before start of play. Paddy Power paying out on top 6 places.

Wotherspiniesta
10-04-2009, 12:31 PM
If Tiger can get his putter working I reckon he will run away with it. Yesterday he was hitting the ball superbly. His ability to hit the ball with such high trajectory allows him to stop the ball on the green faster which is imperative at Augusta. Currently at 7/4 to win outright. Gotta love the masters :agree:

IWasThere2016
10-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Good shout H .. I'm backing Mize, Hamilton and McDowell e/w now

Scrub that .. did Padraig and McDowell just .. 12s and 50s :cool2:

IWasThere2016
10-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Why do these fud Yank commentators stick 'golf' infront of every noun? :grr:

golf swing .. it is swing

golf course .. it is course

golf shot .. it is shot

golf ball .. it is ball

Havering twats! :agree:

IWasThere2016
11-04-2009, 06:05 PM
We've now got 'patrons' instead of crown or fans .. Yanks are assholes!

Houchy
11-04-2009, 08:57 PM
We've now got 'patrons' instead of crown or fans .. Yanks are assholes!

:agree::greengrin

HibbiesandtheBaddies
12-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Go on El Pato!

IWasThere2016
12-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Leftie's on a great run of birdies - leaders know he's catching them up - and he's out in 30!!! QUITE BRILLIANT!! :thumbsup:

Hibby D
12-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Tiger's a man on a mission now.

I'm hooked :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
12-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Did Peter Alliss actually just say "that was a J. Arthur..." ??

IWasThere2016
12-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Did Peter Alliss actually just say "that was a J. Arthur..." ??

Yup - as in 'shank' :wink:

IWasThere2016
12-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Mickelson has had some chances .. he and Woods will need Perry to choke!

Hibby D
12-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Tigger couldnae get out the wood fir the trees :greengrin

How much does the winner get? (apart from that musty old jaikit :greengrin)

HibbiesandtheBaddies
12-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Mickelson has had some chances .. he and Woods will need Perry to choke!

I think he just did!

greenlex
12-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Tigger couldnae get out the wood fir the trees :greengrin

How much does the winner get? (apart from that musty old jaikit :greengrin)
1,350,000 Dollars.

Hibby D
12-04-2009, 10:30 PM
1,350,000 Dollars.

Holy **** - no-one Peter Aliss said Perry's just had a knee trembler :faf:

Hibby D
12-04-2009, 10:46 PM
3 man play off - this is exciting stuff :greengrin

Hibbie_Cameron
12-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Well done Angel:thumbsup:

Hate that twat Lineaker presenting it though. Not like you would see Peter Allis on Match of the Day

greenlex
12-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Well done Angel:thumbsup:

Hate that twat Lineaker presenting it though. Not like you would see Peter Allis on Match of the Day

yup well done angel. Coverage hasn't been the same since Steve Ryder stopped doing the presenting.

Hibbie_Cameron
12-04-2009, 11:35 PM
yup well done angel. Coverage hasn't been the same since Steve Ryder stopped doing the presenting.

Where is Dougie Donnelly? He used to be on all the BBC golf coverage

greenlex
12-04-2009, 11:44 PM

Used to do the open I think but Lineaker has muscled in on that too.

Just checked my bets/buttons. That auld git Perry has lost me a fortune bogeying the last two. An American by two or more would have done.

Golden Bear
13-04-2009, 01:06 PM

He was at Melrose Sevens on Saturday - a bit of a come down from Augusta I'd have thought!

:greengrin