PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Hamilton

GlesgaeHibby
02-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Heart in mouth moment when he dropped to 6th but to get back into 5th at the last corner and take the championship in such dramatic style was brilliant!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

steviehfc
02-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Heart in mouth moment when he dropped to 6th but to get back into 5th at the last corner and take the championship in such dramatic style was brilliant!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:Jammy git mair like.:wink:

Hank Schrader
02-11-2008, 05:52 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Coming from someone who doesn't watch much F1 that was nothing short of gobsmacking, a brilliant finish to the race.:agree:

Hibbychick
02-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Fantastic race.
Was sitting on the edge of my seat for last 10 laps.

Well done Lewis! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

GlesgaeHibby
02-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Coming from someone who doesn't watch much F1 that was nothing short of gobsmacking, a brilliant finish to the race.:agree:

The whole race was fantastic, pure drama from start to finish. I've not really watched it since the glory days of Hakkinen and Schumacher but that was brilliant tonight.

Future17
02-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Wrong forum! :wink:

H185FC
02-11-2008, 06:04 PM
that was an amazing finish, how funny was the boys coupon when he thought massa had won and was told it was hamilton.

bet they went to toyota and offered them a few quid to slow in the last!

woodythehibee
02-11-2008, 06:23 PM
my heart is still pounding! it really was amazing :agree:

OtterHibee
02-11-2008, 06:26 PM
:brickwall:brickwall:brickwall:brickwall:brickwall :brickwall:brickwall:brickwall

FFS!! The f****** arrogant bloody bar steward should never have won that! We're never going to hear the end of this now. :sick:

The house was jumping in celebration when Vettel overtook the little *****. If only Glock could have held it together until he crossed the finish line. :grr:

Hard lines Felipe. Oh and well done to Ferrari for winning the constructors championship. No doubt the media will conveniently forget about that.

I am absolutely gutted.

crash
02-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Glock was obviously told to slow up and let them past, so a bit of a hollow victory. I actually felt sorry for Massa.

cleanyman
02-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Glock you are a fool! :boo hoo:

Caversham Green
02-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Glock was obviously told to slow up and let them past, so a bit of a hollow victory. I actually felt sorry for Massa.

Glock couldn't control his car because he was on slick tyres. If he had stopped to change them Hamilton would have passed him while he was in the pits.

The right man has won the championship despite desperate attempts by the FIA to hand it to Ferrari. We're looking at a worthy replacement to Schumacher.

Hank Schrader
02-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Lewis Hamilton winning doesn't bother me but no doubt it will mean he wins the BBC Sports Personality come December :rolleyes: I don't doubt what he has done is a big acheivement but some of the Olympics gold medals winners or even Joe Calzaghe, if he wins next weekend, will have acheived as much if not more.

My boss just text me to say that Toyota could be investigated for the manner in which Glock slowed down towards the end. I just assumed the reason was he didn't change his tyres to suit the conditions. As the rain started to get heavier in the final lap the guys who changed to intermediates, like Hamilton and Vettel, closed him down as he struggled with grip?

Surely he didn't actually do anything untoward?:dunno:

Hank Schrader
02-11-2008, 06:50 PM

Was Glock not 15 seconds ahead of both Hamilton and Vettel at the start of the final lap? I would be shocked if he had been told to slow down that much to let them through. Ferrari will be going mental if that were the case.

OtterHibee
02-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Was Glock not 15 seconds ahead of both Hamilton and Vettel at the start of the final lap? I would be shocked if he had been told to slow down that much to let them through. Ferrari will be going mental if that were the case.

He dropped 18 seconds on the last lap. IIRC team orders were made illegal in F1 terms a few years back, so if anything untoward was found to have gone on with Glock, desciplinary action could well be taken. Not that it would make any difference though.

woodythehibee
02-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Glock couldn't control his car because he was on slick tyres. If he had stopped to change them Hamilton would have passed him while he was in the pits.

The right man has won the championship despite desperate attempts by the FIA to hand it to Ferrari. We're looking at a worthy replacement to Schumacher.

spot on :agree:

Greenway
02-11-2008, 07:01 PM
F1 is a pretty dodgy business, with millions at stake. Remember all that stuff about technical information getting sold to rival teams.

I'm not saying that there was any foul play, but it was a very unusual thing to happen two corners from the end of the race.

I personally can't stand all this Hamilton nonsense, not that it's the guys fault, it's the media that continue to bore us with meaniless crap about "just how brilliant he is".

I really felt sorry for Massa. He won more races than Hamilton and was 15 seconds from winning in his home country, when a very strange thing happened.

As I said, I'm not suggesting anything :wink:

Future17
02-11-2008, 07:13 PM

They might not be finished yet! :greengrin

Ed De Gramo
02-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Can't stand Hamilton :grr:

got a funny feeling that money has exchanged hands somewhere along the line...

Seeing that freak fae Pussy Cat Dolls congratulate him made the stomach churn :agree:

If he takes SPOTY ahead of Chris Hoy or Joe Calzaghe...it'll be a joke...

crash
02-11-2008, 08:18 PM

It's possible to make up as much as 2 seconds per lap if someone has the wrong(slick) tyres in wet conditions. Glock had an 18 second lead on the last lap. Nothing against Hamilton but c'mon :embarrass

Hank Schrader
02-11-2008, 08:27 PM
It's possible to make up as much as 2 seconds per lap if someone has the wrong(slick) tyres in wet conditions. Glock had an 18 second lead on the last lap. Nothing against Hamilton but c'mon :embarrass

On that basis it sounds suspicious. Engine failure caused his car to lose power maybe?:dunno:

Any word on Ferraris position on this yet?

Caversham Green
02-11-2008, 08:45 PM

Slick tyres on a track as wet as that have zero grip - your car spins or goes off onto wet grass which makes it even worse. Thats why everyone who had something to lose (and most who had nothing to lose) changed their tyres. Glock did well to finish the race at all. That much was obvious from the way he drove the last lap.

Toaods
02-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Jammy git mair like.:wink:

No jam involved - best driver over the year, only soem disgraceful officialdom stopped him winning it weeks ago.

...first thing I thought as he had been getting round OK until last gasp where the track was actually drier IIRC.

I really felt sorry for Massa. He won more races than Hamilton and was 15 seconds from winning in his home country, when a very strange thing happened.

he also failed to finish in more - it evens out over the course of the season.

you can make up more than 2 seconds on one corner if a driver locks it up and goes onto the kerbs, let alone leave the track. 18 seconds was certainly achievable as the rain came down heavy, but the fact that Glock seemed to be maintaining enough of a lead with less than half the lap to go mad eit a tad suspicious. Hamilton's enginerr said - they were hoping he would catch him as they knew they could but had to sit and watch 'him(Glock)' coming back to him (Hamilton) on the Sat nav reader.

Didn't Ferarri have the same equipment though.?? no doubt history will dictate that the celebrations began too soon, but did they really? maybe it was reasonable to expect Glock to have finished in the position he was in with merely seconds and a couple of hundrerd yards to go in the race.

crash
02-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Slick tyres on a track as wet as that have zero grip - your car spins or goes off onto wet grass which makes it even worse. Thats why everyone who had something to lose (and most who had nothing to lose) changed their tyres. Glock did well to finish the race at all. That much was obvious from the way he drove the last lap.

As wet as what? your talking like they were driving in a monsoon. At best it was light rain, only started to come down ten minutes after the race had ended::confused:

Hank Schrader
02-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Interesting to note that as Glock entered the final lap the commentators did say that he would be able to "tip toe" round and still finish ahead of Hamilton and Vettel.

Caversham Green
02-11-2008, 09:27 PM
As wet as what? your talking like they were driving in a monsoon. At best it was light rain, only started to come down ten minutes after the race had ended::confused:

So why do you think everyone except Glock bothered to change their tyres? Glock took a chance because he had nothing to lose and a lot to gain. It didn't come off, unfortunate for him, but that that's racing.

Awarding Massa an extra point for running into Bourdais, however has nothing to do with racing.

Toaods
02-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Interesting to note that as Glock entered the final lap the commentators did say that he would be able to "tip toe" round and still finish ahead of Hamilton and Vettel.

they then said after he'd completed the 1st timed section that his time was fine and that he'd make it home OK - I again assumed this was their opinions based on the fact he'd passed the notoriously tricky wet areas of the track on the wrong tyres. bends two and three climb a hill and turn and with water are treacherous, that's where Coulthard was slammed at the start of the race.

Gatecrasher
02-11-2008, 11:11 PM
by reading this thread its very easy to tell who is a regular viewer of f1 and who isnt lol

1st of many for a british f1 legend in the making

Removed
02-11-2008, 11:17 PM
by reading this thread its very easy to tell who is a regular viewer of f1 and who isnt lol

A bit like some of the fitba posts as well :wink:

LiverpoolHibs
03-11-2008, 01:00 AM
I await mention of his tax-dodging in the Sun, Mail, Express et al tomorow; they usually like that sort of thing.

Oh no, wait! He's rich, successful and British. I won't hold my breath...

rainman
03-11-2008, 04:28 AM
I await mention of his tax-dodging in the Sun, Mail, Express et al tomorow; they usually like that sort of thing.

Your a right barrel of laughs eh? :yawn:

Hank Schrader
03-11-2008, 08:10 AM

I'll take your word for that. Care to take you arse off the fence and name the ones you reckon arn't regular F1 viewers......like me:greengrin

McSwanky
03-11-2008, 08:13 AM
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/1648/1386821hamiltonf1891042hv3.gif

Hank Schrader
03-11-2008, 08:49 AM
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/1648/1386821hamiltonf1891042hv3.gif

Love it:greengrin

McSwanky
03-11-2008, 09:15 AM

http://www.forumspile.com/Thread-Offtopic-Derailed.jpg

LiverpoolHibs
03-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Your a right barrel of laughs eh? :yawn:

Mos' def'.

:greengrin

MyJo
03-11-2008, 12:16 PM

Timo Glocks car has a 750bhp engine that revs at 19000rpm....stick that to some slick wheels and try to accelerate in anything worse than damp conditions and you'll go nowhere very fast.

Its quite simple really, he took his chance by staying on the slicks and it started to rain meaning he lost grip, no grip means longer braking into the corners and approaching them at a slower speed then building up your speed gradually out of the corners rather than flooring it because if he did that he would spin the wheels or go off the track while Hamilton and Vettel where on the intermediate tyres with the additional tread that allowed them to hammer it around the track at thier usual pace.

Given that there are 15 corners at Interlagos and the track is not flat its very easy to see how a driver on wet tyres driving for a world title could make up 18 seconds on a driver on slick tyres with nothing to race for apart from just getting home safely.

Glock could have driven faster than he did but he would have probably spun off in the last lap to hand the title to Hamilton anyway had he done that.

Hamilton was the best driver this year and he fully deserves to win the title, Massa might have won more races but Hamilton was much more consistant.

Give him another 3 or 4 years and he will be better than Schumacher :agree:

Jack
03-11-2008, 12:17 PM
I liken the Ferrari and FIA connection to that of the OF and the SFA/SPL.

If the FIA hadn’t ‘manipulated’ the penalties and results during the season Hamilton would have won a few weeks ago.

It will be interesting to see how the FIA deal with Ferrari ‘pushing the limits’ of the new regulations next season and how they deal with the other teams, particularly McLaren who they dislike.

Love him or loathe him Lewis will be around a good few years yet.

Perth Hibee
03-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Going off on a tangent would like to wish David Coulthard all the best in what he does, had an up and down career and not a good way to end but good luck DC!!! :thumbsup:

Toaods
03-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Hamilton was the best driver this year and he fully deserves to win the title, Massa might have won more races but Hamilton was much more consistant.

:singing::singing::singing:...ARE YOU ENGLAND IN DISGUISE.....??

IWasThere2016
03-11-2008, 10:10 PM
F1 is not sport IMHO. It's not like he was cycling a bike, rowing a canoe etc .. its a car!

Winning - as he's done - it a feat .. particularly as each race is an endurance test too - but its not sport

Gatecrasher
04-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Timo Glocks car has a 750bhp engine that revs at 19000rpm....stick that to some slick wheels and try to accelerate in anything worse than damp conditions and you'll go nowhere very fast.

Its quite simple really, he took his chance by staying on the slicks and it started to rain meaning he lost grip, no grip means longer braking into the corners and approaching them at a slower speed then building up your speed gradually out of the corners rather than flooring it because if he did that he would spin the wheels or go off the track while Hamilton and Vettel where on the intermediate tyres with the additional tread that allowed them to hammer it around the track at thier usual pace.

Given that there are 15 corners at Interlagos and the track is not flat its very easy to see how a driver on wet tyres driving for a world title could make up 18 seconds on a driver on slick tyres with nothing to race for apart from just getting home safely.

Glock could have driven faster than he did but he would have probably spun off in the last lap to hand the title to Hamilton anyway had he done that.

theres a person that clearly knows what he is talking about.

FAO everyone, read up about what happened at SPA with dry tyers on a wet track then you will see its not just glock it happens to :agree:

f1 cars on dry tyers on a wet track is not a good idea

Gatecrasher
04-11-2008, 06:49 PM
F1 is not sport IMHO. It's not like he was cycling a bike, rowing a canoe etc .. its a car!

Winning - as he's done - it a feat .. particularly as each race is an endurance test too - but its not sport

whats your definition of a sport then, IMHO is that it has as much passion as football, you have to be as fit as a marathon runner and the competitiveness of any other sport out there and in a lot of cases much more.

people who watch F1 and people who work within the sport have as much passion for it as anything else just because you drive a car doesnt change the situation.

as iv read either on here or somewhere else - its like marmite you either love it or hate it, but dont mock it :thumbsup:

i loved this

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6HO7j2EC_dI

Thanks ITV iv loved the coverage i hope BBC dont ruin it and i hope they use the same presenters and commentaters although i very much doubt it

sleeping giant
04-11-2008, 08:34 PM

I agree. Its up there with Darts , Snooker and golf.:hnet:

MyJo
04-11-2008, 09:31 PM

it might not be an athletic dicipline but it is a competitive sport that requires a huge amount of talent, training, dicipline, endurance and fitness to reach the very top, much like cycling and the other sports you have mentioned.

And FWIW most people tend to refer to F1 as "motorsport" which doesn't try to suggest its anything athletic. :wink:

HibbyScott
05-11-2008, 12:21 AM
whats your definition of a sport then, IMHO is that it has as much passion as football, you have to be as fit as a marathon runner and the competitiveness of any other sport out there and in a lot of cases much more.

people who watch F1 and people who work within the sport have as much passion for it as anything else just because you drive a car doesnt change the situation.

as iv read either on here or somewhere else - its like marmite you either love it or hate it, but dont mock it :thumbsup:

i loved this

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6HO7j2EC_dI

Thanks ITV iv loved the coverage i hope BBC dont ruin it and i hope they use the same presenters and commentaters although i very much doubt it

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Please don't let Louise Goodman or Ted Kravitz anywhere near my television for Formula 1 ever EVER again.

James Allen as well, while not as bad as those 2, is still pretty dire. I'd only keep Brundle and possibly Steve Rider too. Just please no Louise - I've had more than enough Jenson Button stalking

MyJo
05-11-2008, 12:28 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Please don't let Louise Goodman or Ted Kravitz anywhere near my television for Formula 1 ever EVER again.

James Allen as well, while not as bad as those 2, is still pretty dire. I'd only keep Brundle and possibly Steve Rider too. Just please no Louise - I've had more than enough Jenson Button stalking

i dont care who presents it, i'll just be delighted to see the back of those bloody Sony adverts with the nippy music every 10 minutes :brickwall:greengrin

jonty
05-11-2008, 11:32 AM
i dont care who presents it, i'll just be delighted to see the back of those bloody Sony adverts with the nippy music every 10 minutes :brickwall:greengrin
:agree: :greengrin

I tried watching the A1 motorsport stuff on Sky but it's not the same.

MyJo
05-11-2008, 11:43 AM
:agree: :greengrin

I tried watching the A1 motorsport stuff on Sky but it's not the same.

I've only every watched about half an hour of A1 before, never really got into it in the same way i have with F1.

I suppose if there was a scottish team set up....Coulthard and Nish driving, Jackie Stewart managing :wink:....then i might take a bit more interest :greengrin

Hibby_Ed
05-11-2008, 11:51 AM
well deserved, i was screaming at the TV for the last two laps.

I have now converted my girlfriend into a follower of motorsport, she also recommends I become an F1 driver as the way they put there life on line is 'sexy'. Nae chance, i'll stick to watching it. :wink:

Removed
05-11-2008, 12:30 PM

Personally F1 bores me but I can appreciate the skill & bravery of the drivers. The bit that turns me off is the myriad of rules, the politics, and the fact that 90% of races are a snoozefest. Most folk just watch the start for the crashes. Try MotoGp, WSB or BSB for exciting racing or even better the NW200. For bravery (or stupidy) you can't beat the TT. For car racing - IMHO touring cars or WRC are far more exciting than watching F1 but I can understand why some people like it for the strategy aspect.

robinp
05-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Personally F1 bores me but I can appreciate the skill & bravery of the drivers. The bit that turns me off is the myriad of rules, the politics, and the fact that 90% of races are a snoozefest. Most folk just watch the start for the crashes. Try MotoGp, WSB or BSB for exciting racing or even better the NW200. For bravery (or stupidy) you can't beat the TT. For car racing - IMHO touring cars or WRC are far more exciting than watching F1 but I can understand why some people like it for the strategy aspect.

I agree there, I use to love F1, but it is getting better and better.

I follow IRL in the US as you cannot get racing like this anywhere else:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ7drVW2L3A

Remember they are pulling a 1 lap average of over 200mph - when you get halfway through the clip you will get an on board camera which show just how close they are racing. :dizzy:

HibbyScott
05-11-2008, 01:22 PM

I love F1, so much that hopefully I want to work in it after I graduate from Uni, but after going to Knockhill for the Touring Cars as a guest of one of the teams, I've been converted to Touring Cars as well now. The amount of drama you can have in a single Touring Car race is amazing - made better by the fact that the cars can bump into each other and get away with it.

F1 still shades it for me though, the amount of technology on the cars is mind blowing

IWasThere2016
05-11-2008, 08:04 PM
I agree. Its up there with Darts , Snooker and golf.:hnet:

I am no biting! :cool2:

sleeping giant
05-11-2008, 08:38 PM
I am no biting! :cool2:
I was wondering:greengrin

notorious
05-11-2008, 09:21 PM

Obviously no watched many races this season:wink:

Lewis was the best driver this season no question, more consistant, robbed of points from the FIA, and quick as hell considering his McLaren is probably slightly slower than the Ferrari IMO. His achievements look all the more impressive when you see how many points Kovalainen, his team mate got.