PDA

View Full Version : Ever watched Ice Hockey? Edinburgh Capitals admission offer

PC Stamp
17-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Have you ever watched live Ice Hockey? It's fast and furious and well worth trying. The kids'll love it too! And there's a great chance to try it during the school holiday week

Edinburgh Capitals are delighted to be able to offer a special deal to allow parents to enjoy some holiday fun at Murrayfield Ice Rink. For the game against Basingstoke Bison on Tuesday 21st October they are offering the chance to bring up to four kids for free for every adult ticket purchased.

All you have to do is purchase 1 adult ticket (£14.50 in advance from their online shop, or £15 on the door) and you can bring up to four children for free.

Tickets can be purchased at reduced price via the Capitals website (look up Edinburgh Capitals on Google) or at the door on the evening.

There will also be a junior ice hockey game featuring the Under 12s and Under 14s between 17:00 and 18:00 as an additional treat.

Doors will open at 16:45 for anybody wanting to come and watch the junior game. Face off for the Edinburgh Capitals v Basingstoke Bison game is at 19:00.

Rep of Ireland Hibee
17-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Highly recommend this. I go to Watch HC Slavia here when I can.

Great atmosphere and great game :thumbsup:

PC Stamp
17-10-2008, 11:48 AM
And in Basingstoke, we have a team that the Capitals might be able to beat and kick start the season!!

Hibbie_Cameron
17-10-2008, 02:56 PM
What sort of time would the game finish Cliff?

PC Stamp
17-10-2008, 03:37 PM
What sort of time would the game finish Cliff? I reckon it'll be finished up by around 9.15pm mate.

stu in nottingham
17-10-2008, 03:38 PM
What sort of time would the game finish Cliff?

You'd be looking at walking out of there at around 9.30pm, mate.

Hibbie_Cameron
17-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Cheers guys. Will prob give these games a miss but planning to head to a match in the next few weeks

Jack
21-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Well here I am a virgin ice hockey person with my 3 kids freezin ma nuts off! My eyesight is so I cant see the ball at ER! how the puck an I supposed to keep up with this?

bingo70
21-10-2008, 07:36 PM
used to love it when i went to the Ice Hockey when i was younger, tried to watch it on TV recently but i just couldn't get into it, is it one of these sports that you need to be at to really appreciate it?

Jack
21-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Half time. 3:3. If f f f I th th thought I was c c cold before. Still good practice for later on in the season!

stu in nottingham
21-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Half time. 3:3. If f f f I th th thought I was c c cold before. Still good practice for later on in the season!

Half-time? :greengrin

I always thought Murrayfield a cold stadium to sit in when I went there years ago, Jack. I recall people sitting there with travel blankets and hot flasks!

The stadium here in Nottingham is quite the opposite - way too warm. We sit there sweltering in tee-shirts! It all seems very wrong to me!

Good luck to the Caps

Jack
21-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Edinburgh Capitals lost 4:5. A golden goal in overtime. I wish someone had told me there were only 3 'quarters' :duck:

stu in nottingham
21-10-2008, 09:28 PM
A shame but it sounds like the Caps are still pressing to improve with this tight decision. How did you enjoy your first game Jack? A lot of new people talk about the whistle sounding a lot but not understanding what the play has stopped for. Knowing these is pretty handy:

http://www.az-hockey.com/drills/penalties_and_referee_signals.htm

You're and the kids are on the great iceway now - you can't go back!

Jack
22-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Hi Stu, how was your average this season?

I never saw your ‘Half-time?' post (I was posting from my phone and didn’t update between my two posts) … and wouldn’t have known what you meant anyway, you know I’m just a simple chap! :greengrin

The game was interesting for the following reasons

Very slick movement and passing, by both teams, a bit like we would love our midfield to be. Quite often however the movement and passing was on a par with ours.

Fouls. I saw what they were for and some were pretty nasty but on all but one occasion the guys got up, brushed themselves down and got on with it. The one occasion this didn’t happen he was left to lie there. Eventually he got a hand up from one of his team mates and an opposition player had a wee sly word with him to see he was OK. The banging into the barriers I expected as were the 2 or 3 fights!!! None it was any big deal for the referees, a few sin bins, and the game continued. I’ve heard it said before but sin bins is something football should look at – something between a ticking off and a yellow card. [The teams being hacked don’t get an advantage from a yellow card – some other team down the line does].

Aye! Since when has there only been 3 quarters? :dizzy: At the previous ‘half times’ everyone has buggered off for something hot and a fag, maybe both :cool2:. I’m quick off my mark and the end of the 3rd quarter when I notice no-one else has moved. ‘Hello I’m new here, what's going on?’ and then it was explained to me. Jacks been nominated for wally of the week :bitchy:. Just got back and sat down in my seat and they score!!! :brickwall

The crowd. What a funny lot, some down right weird. We were sitting just in front of the equivalent of the ‘East Standers’. Bloody drum in my ear, some old guy with a hooter and cow bells and kids with slush puppies - it was baltic.

The songs were good – I particularly liked them because they were about ‘us’, something I’ve said our Hibs songs should be about rather than who we hate etc., and the clapping stuff.

Lets get hooters into ER! [ooo er] Even the quiet stands could make something of a noise with folk not being embarrassed by the sound of their own voices.

I was well wrapped up but its long-john / thermals territory.

My youngest (11) wants to start playing and will be taking the details to his mother. Oldest son 16 wasn't fussy for it, daughter 15 got into it in the 3rd quarter and was looking forward to the 4th :greengrin

Oh, and another thing. The referees, all 3 of them, were rubbish and the opposition were a shower of cheating, fouling, diving ***********.

I didn’t think it was stopped too often and if I was to go along more often I would learn the signals, maybe when my Mickey makes his debut for the team.

Jack

stu in nottingham
22-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Sounds like you enjoyed the night. Good for you Jack, I hope you become a regular and enjoy the ice game. Getting your lad into it would be good way of doing that. Many more years ago than I care to state(!), I had a skating lesson or two at Murrayfied and I'm sure they're still available these days. The Murrayfield ice service was always a pretty good one, especially to learn on.

Kitting out youngsters can be an expensive business. Your lad could maybe get some second-hand gear to begin with to keep costs down until he knows he's going to stick at it.

I agree with you about sin bins/penalty benches. I think football could benefit from them as rugby has. As you noticed people don't get too upset about physical contact and getting hurt in hockey. I wish more footballers had the same ambivalent attitude to the former instead of rolling around on the floor like they've been shot. I find that even the Canadians I know who enjoy fooball simply can't understand all that stuff and tend to deride some football for it's play-acting.

Three 20-minute periods (a fourth period of overtime if the score is tied at the end of the three, Jack - that will be the least of your problems to understand! :greengrin )

Nottingham games feature cheerleaders from the local Hooters Bar/Restaurant (Don't all rush at once lads). Oh - you mean those hooters? I've never noticed them though... :wink:

The officals - oh dear what can I say? For one thing I really admire these guys as what they do is a tough and thankless job, but... The standard of officiating in the UK is very poor indeed. I think the various leagues and associations over the years have missed a trick by not paying to bring in know-how and experience to tutor British officals (with an odd exception). I really think they should bring in a few guys from Canada and set up a school for officials here. It would stop those poor decisions from spoiling the games which they do all to often.

Glad you enjoyed it. Let us know how you and your the kids get on with it. You could be harbouring a new Gretzky there, you never do know...

Hockey Refs Eh! (http://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2008/10/19/canada-08-hockey-refs-eh/)