PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Speedway

stevenhibs
24-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Just to let anyone who's interested know that the Edinburgh Monarchs won the British Premier League tonight after Somerset failed to win away at Birmingham!!!

Get right in!!!

sh00byd00
24-09-2008, 08:34 PM
I remember going to Powderhall years ago to watch this. I loved the smell from the track and bikes and it's something you never forget. Yes, I'm weird. :greengrin

HibbiesandtheBaddies
24-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Just to let anyone who's interested know that the Edinburgh Monarchs won the British Premier League tonight after Somerset failed to win away at Birmingham!!!

Get right in!!!

Good on the Monarchs!, looks like they've had some season.

Not been since I was a nipper and dreeped over the wall at powderhall :greengrin

loved the smell of the cinders and the Castrol R :agree:

givescotlandfreedom
24-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Good stuff! Will they be able to go into the Elite league?

stevenhibs
24-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Yes, I'm weird. :greengrin

Then so am I!!!

Hanny
24-09-2008, 08:39 PM

My old man is a big speedway fan, he tells me they go into a play off home and away with the team at the bottom of the elite league. Winner goes up/stays up.

Edit: See post below, more likely to be accurate!

stevenhibs
24-09-2008, 08:39 PM

The top 4 play off, to face the team that finished bottom of the EL, so to be honest, it's not likely. The team that finished bottom of the EL is Wolverhampton, who have 3 grand prix riders (top 15 riders in the world) in their side!!!

The gulf is huge but fingers crossed!!

Pheona
24-09-2008, 09:04 PM
The top 4 play off, to face the team that finished bottom of the EL, so to be honest, it's not likely. The team that finished bottom of the EL is Wolverhampton, who have 3 grand prix riders (top 15 riders in the world) in their side!!!

Woo hooo! on you go Monarchs!!

But I think you are right, with the likes of Iverson and Lindgren it is not very likely that they would beat Wolves - but you never know.... :greengrin

........ that smell.... :greengrin

jgl07
24-09-2008, 09:18 PM
My old man is a big speedway fan, he tells me they go into a play off home and away with the team at the bottom of the elite league. Winner goes up/stays up.

No quite.

There is a shoot out over two legs between bottom and second bottom of the EL to face the winner of the top-four PL playoffs.

Not a chance of a PL team winning. Even if they did there would be no relegation. In the past teams have refused to go down and also Glasgow once refused to go up in 1993!

stevenhibs
24-09-2008, 10:12 PM
No quite.

There is a shoot out over two legs between bottom and second bottom of the EL to face the winner of the top-four PL playoffs.

Not a chance of a PL team winning. Even if they did there would be no relegation. In the past teams have refused to go down and also Glasgow once refused to go up in 1993!

The impression that I got from John Campbell at the video night was that the Elite League is where he wanted the club to be, he wanted to get there by rights but if he couldn't then I think he'll apply anyway. With the re emergence of Exeter, Oxford and Newport for 2009, i'm also reliably informed that Mildenhall are to enter a side too and the EL currently being made up of 9 teams, some major revamping has to be on the cards!!!

Barney Gumball
24-09-2008, 10:21 PM

Well done Monarchs :thumbsup::thumbsup: Is the play off with Wolverhamapton a 2 leg match

stevenhibs
25-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Well done Monarchs :thumbsup::thumbsup: Is the play off with Wolverhamapton a 2 leg match

Yes, I'm told that the bottom 2 of the Elite league also play off, but more than likely Wolves.

Barney Gumball
25-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Yes, I'm told that the bottom 2 of the Elite league also play off, but more than likely Wolves.
Thanks

Danderhall Hibs
25-09-2008, 05:38 PM

The impression that I got from John Campbell at the video night was that the Elite League is where he wanted the club to be, he wanted to get there by rights but if he couldn't then I think he'll apply anyway. With the re emergence of Exeter, Oxford and Newport for 2009, i'm also reliably informed that Mildenhall are to enter a side too and the EL currently being made up of 9 teams, some major revamping has to be on the cards!!!

I'm led to believe that the Monarchs aren't interested in promotion - they're happy where they are. They're a Friday night team and moving to the Elite League would mean they were racing against teams with no GP riders so wouldn't mean any extra appeal for spectators.

BTW they'll have the League and Cup double in the bag next week as well. :agree:

stevenhibs
25-09-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm led to believe that the Monarchs aren't interested in promotion - they're happy where they are. They're a Friday night team and moving to the Elite League would mean they were racing against teams with no GP riders so wouldn't mean any extra appeal for spectators.

BTW they'll have the League and Cup double in the bag next week as well. :agree:

I was at a "gathering" in November with the Monarchs and the impression that I got was that the promoter wanted to be there, by rights. If they couldn't do it then he'd see what happens. I think British Speedway is on the verge of a radical change where by all of the meetings are on the same night. This would be to accomodate the Swedish, Polish and Danish leagues which many of the British league riders ride in anyway. Something needs to be done anyway.

I'll leave all that heavy stuff to the powers that be though.

Cup 2nd leg is on Sunday and to be honest, is already in the bag!!! Sights are fixed on Workington in the league cup semi on Friday and Saturday. That'll be a tough one!!!

Toaods
25-09-2008, 11:26 PM
The impression that I got from John Campbell at the video night was that the Elite League is where he wanted the club to be, he wanted to get there by rights but if he couldn't then I think he'll apply anyway.

He's been trelling people that for years, others know different......:wink:

I'm led to believe that the Monarchs aren't interested in promotion - they're happy where they are.

:agree:

not the KO Cup though...I think Topinka guesting for Workington along with Nieminen and Stonehewer makes them just too good with Johannson knackered.

Sloop
21-10-2008, 10:29 PM
While it is unlikely that the Monarchs will win the promotion / relegation play-off, for anyone who is interested, the 1st leg is at Armadale on Friday, 2nd leg at Wolverhampton the following Monday.

Realistically, they will be doing very well if they keep the score close in the home leg but should be interesting and attract a big crowd.

And the Monarchs have had a fantastic season, winning the Premier League, the Premier Trophy and unbeaten against the Weegies :thumbsup:

Calvin
21-10-2008, 11:34 PM
I know of the Monarchs and have watched Speedway on TV a few times but have never been to a race.

Where do the Monarchs race about and how much is it to get in?

stevenhibs
07-11-2008, 08:59 PM
I know of the Monarchs and have watched Speedway on TV a few times but have never been to a race.

Where do the Monarchs race about and how much is it to get in?

The season is finished now mate but starts again in March. They race in Armadale on a Friday night and it is £13 to get in. Great night out!!!