PDA

View Full Version : NHC Your opinion on the Williams sisters (tennis)?

Mag7
03-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Cannae effin stand 'em. Just thought I'd say that. Makes a change from yam threads clogging up the messageboard :wink:

Alex fae B&Q
03-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Cannae effin stand 'em. Just thought I'd say that. Makes a change from yam threads clogging up the messageboard :wink:

A strange poll to see on here but a good one! I loathe them both and will be finding something else to do on Saturday than watch the woman's final nobody wanted.

blackpoolhibs
03-07-2008, 05:51 PM
A strange poll to see on here but a good one! I loathe them both and will be finding something else to do on Saturday than watch the woman's final nobody wanted.

To be fair they do seem to dominate wimbledon, and if i am honest i couldnt name another womans tennis player, and i have just watched venus beat someone in the semi not 10-15 minutes ago.

zlatan
03-07-2008, 05:51 PM
I doubt they'ld adapt to Mixus style of play.

Ivan Drago
03-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Have to admit to wanting them to lose every match they play in :agree:

Sir David Gray
03-07-2008, 07:34 PM
In terms of ability, they're probably by far and away the two best players to watch in the women's game. They have so much more power than most of the other women and that's why they can dominate most matches.

Also a lot of female tennis players struggle with their emotions at times but this is something that I don't believe really affects either of them.

In short, I like them as tennis players but haven't really got an opinion on them either way as people.

Just Jimmy
03-07-2008, 08:42 PM
they always come across well in interview etc. Seem genuine and well brought up.

However i cannot stand them on court, dunno but I just cannot stand watching them.

Ana Ivanovic for me :thumbsup:

Wembley67
04-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Personally they are the perfect tennis machines...bit like Nadal & Fedderer, Nadal will surpas Feds though in the next few years.

TheGreenMan
04-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Beasts :agree:

Betty Boop
04-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Its all about power for the Williams sisters, the grunting and snorting puts me off though, however Sharapova is guilty of doing it as well. :bitchy:

mixumatosis
04-07-2008, 02:54 PM
There's something of a paradox in womens tennis in my opinion. I find both the Williams sisters very refreshing whenever i read or hear what they have to say, because they don't seem bound by the usual corporate speak which dominates the output of so many professional athletes. They are usually, in my experience, willing to offer an opinion when asked a reasonable question rather than trotting out some manufactured non-commital response so as not to risk upsetting a sponsor. I guess what I'm trying to say is that they seem willing and able to think and speak for themselves to a far greater degree than many of their peers.

What I find odd is that I often hear commentators saying that in order to broaden the appeal of the game, there needs to be characters in the sport. Yet who gets more coverage, Ivanovic and Sharapova (both of whom are very good players, but far from riveting interviewees) or Venus and Serena ? Serena attended a pre wimbledon party in a dress reportedly addorned with $2m worth of gemstones. Anyone see it ? The BBC gave about 15 secs over to it in a feature they shot. There's a story there for womens tennis if they chose to use it to their advantage, but i'm guessing if you did see it you also saw the minute or so the beeb gave over to Ivanovic saying "I like Wimbledon and it would be nice to win here." Again.

Anna Kournikova, with some justification, took a lot of stick for concentrating on her appearance rather than on her tennis. It seems the media, and those responsible for the promotion of the womens game, can think of no better way to publicise the sport than sticking the eye candy in front of the cameras and ignoring the assets they have in the game which might encourage a more lasting interest in the sport.

I voted for "I like them both" by the way !:wink:

Regina Phalange
05-07-2008, 12:35 AM
I didn't vote. I'm a big fan of Venus, but don't like Serena. No real reason or justification, but since when did who you support in sports have any need for those things? I'll be at work during the final but I'll be hoping for a Venus win.

Strangely enough I have a similar mindset in the mens game, big Federer fan but I'd be happy to see Nadal get hammered every time he steps on the court. I guess it's just the nature of rivalry in sport, if you have strong feelings for one party then you automatically want to see their biggest rival lose, even though both Serena and Nadal are undoubtedly great players and come off as decent off the court too.

Pete
05-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Muscular munters who seem to dominate through power. Boring.

It should be seeded in such a way that they all knock each other out leaving the feminine, attractive players to contest the latter stages.

mixumatosis
05-07-2008, 01:10 AM
Muscular munters who seem to dominate through power. Boring.

It should be seeded in such a way that they all knock each other out leaving the feminine, attractive players to contest the latter stages.

Your views then on Rafael Nadal ?