PDA

View Full Version : The Derby

vein
03-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Who is everyone on for the Derby then?

Last year myself and Lust for Leith posted regarding a system to help whittle the selections down. There are 7 steps.

1. Take the first 6 in the betting (if a two or more are 6th equal, include them all)

2. Last three form figures must be one of the following.
111, 121, 011, 11 (two runs in career), 112, 311, 21 (two runs in career), 211, 321, 101, 114, 122, 131.

Completing the second step should take a few out of the equation.

Next 5 steps are to help highlight the best horse(s) from the remaining selections.

3. Horse should have won at 7f or more as a two year old.

4. Potential winner is hardly ever beaten at 2 after winning maiden unless in group or listed event.

5. Excluding Group or Listed races the potential winner should have favouable form comments in their last two year old race, ie 'won easily' or 'soon clear', etc.

6. If they ran before first week in Aug as 2 year old most potential winners would have been placed in first 4 of a group race as a 2 year old.

7. If debut was after June as 2 year old a potential winner may have had their first win on either straight course at Newmarket or straight course at Newbury.

I've gone through the above for this year. I crossed off Curtain Call after step 2 leaving five horses to try and whittle down to one which was not ideal! After going through steps 3 to 7 New Approach was clearly the pick by ticking 4 out of 5 boxes on the last 5 steps. Doctor Fremantle next with 3 and Casual Conquest and Tajaweed ticked two boxes, Tartan Bearer ticked only 1.

Last year I believe we managed to get the winner out if this but another couple of horses looked to be in with a shout. The year before I used it and again had it down to 3 horses, I ended up going against the hot favourite with Sir Percy and got the winner out of that. Looking back over the previous results in the book this system has come up with a selection of 2 or 3 horses in the field and the winner always comes from those selections.

So this year I'll confidently be going for New Approach (That is if he runs, Trainer may still pull him out :greengrin)

Hiber-nation
03-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Some system Vein, good luck!

I'm on Tartan Bearer with not much confidence, this is a really tricky one unlike last year when you could have put your house on Authorized(unfortunately I only risked a tenner....).

LustForLeith
04-06-2008, 01:54 PM

Last year myself and Lust for Leith posted regarding a system to help whittle the selections down. There are 7 steps.

1. Take the first 6 in the betting (if a two or more are 6th equal, include them all)

111, 121, 011, 11 (two runs in career), 112, 311, 21 (two runs in career), 211, 321, 101, 114, 122, 131.

Next 5 steps are to help highlight the best horse(s) from the remaining selections.

4. Potential winner is hardly ever beaten at 2 after winning maiden unless in group or listed event.

5. Excluding Group or Listed races the potential winner should have favouable form comments in their last two year old race, ie 'won easily' or 'soon clear', etc.

6. If they ran before first week in Aug as 2 year old most potential winners would have been placed in first 4 of a group race as a 2 year old.

7. If debut was after June as 2 year old a potential winner may have had their first win on either straight course at Newmarket or straight course at Newbury.

I've gone through the above for this year. I crossed off Curtain Call after step 2 leaving five horses to try and whittle down to one which was not ideal! After going through steps 3 to 7 New Approach was clearly the pick by ticking 4 out of 5 boxes on the last 5 steps. Doctor Fremantle next with 3 and Casual Conquest and Tajaweed ticked two boxes, Tartan Bearer ticked only 1.

Last year I believe we managed to get the winner out if this but another couple of horses looked to be in with a shout. The year before I used it and again had it down to 3 horses, I ended up going against the hot favourite with Sir Percy and got the winner out of that. Looking back over the previous results in the book this system has come up with a selection of 2 or 3 horses in the field and the winner always comes from those selections.

So this year I'll confidently be going for New Approach (That is if he runs, Trainer may still pull him out :greengrin)

You've obivously no been reading my 'A Man In A Pub Once Told Me Thread' or you'd be avoiding my systems!

I went for the wrong one last year, going to see what this brings up this year. What other ones does it bring up Dave? Think the Derbys in a bit of a mess this year with New Approach being in then out then in again. It's like the okey cokey! Also New Approach is being led in by a pony or somehting and the race may be delayed!

vein
04-06-2008, 03:23 PM
You've obivously no been reading my 'A Man In A Pub Once Told Me Thread' or you'd be avoiding my systems!

I went for the wrong one last year, going to see what this brings up this year. What other ones does it bring up Dave? Think the Derbys in a bit of a mess this year with New Approach being in then out then in again. It's like the okey cokey! Also New Approach is being led in by a pony or somehting and the race may be delayed!

The systems from a book we both read so its not your system mate :wink:

Seriously though I've tried it out for two years now and had two winners, admittedly I backed the winner plus AN other last year as I couldnt seperate them.

According to the system the winner will come from one of the following five horses.

New Approach, Doctor Fremantle, Casual Conquest, Tajaweed and Tartan Bearer.

Thats after steps 1 + 2. Usually after those steps you would be left with three horses out of the six to choose from. Going through steps 3-7 New Approach ticks all the correct boxes.

I'm confident going for New Approach and will stick with him but should he get beat the winner should come from one of the other 4 horses above. So Hiber-nation your Tartan Bearer still looks like a goodun :greengrin

LustForLeith
05-06-2008, 11:21 AM
The systems from a book we both read so its not your system mate :wink:
Seriously though I've tried it out for two years now and had two winners, admittedly I backed the winner plus AN other last year as I couldnt seperate them.

According to the system the winner will come from one of the following five horses.

New Approach, Doctor Fremantle, Casual Conquest, Tajaweed and Tartan Bearer.

Thats after steps 1 + 2. Usually after those steps you would be left with three horses out of the six to choose from. Going through steps 3-7 New Approach ticks all the correct boxes.

I'm confident going for New Approach and will stick with him but should he get beat the winner should come from one of the other 4 horses above. So Hiber-nation your Tartan Bearer still looks like a goodun :greengrin

Good point mate! After the limited sucess of the 2yo systme, I'm not putting my name to anything!

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-06-2008, 11:33 AM
I think it could be well worth waiting until the last minute to have a punt on The Derby this year.

If there is any mention of soft in the going before the race I quite fancy Curtain Call, but, if the ground dries out a bit I'll probably back Tartan Bearer.

Without going and checking I'm quite sure The Dante @ York is one of the more reliable/successful Derby Trials in recent years and although it only won by a narrow margin nobody seems to be showing any interest in O'Briens horse that finished 2nd.

YehButNoBut
07-06-2008, 03:13 PM

Nice one New Approach wins at 5/1, wish I'd backed it. :thumbsup:

carnoustiehibee
07-06-2008, 03:16 PM
took your tip.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

i owe you a pint or 2:not worth:not worth

vein
07-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Nice one New Approach wins at 5/1, wish I'd backed it. :thumbsup:

Thank you :greengrin

took your tip.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

i owe you a pint or 2:not worth:not worth

No worries man, I'm glad you backed it. Passed on the tip to my father in law, brother in law and Wazoo from here. We were all at a party this afternoon. Just so happy it came in after me passing out the tip, I thought at the half way stage he was blocked in too much and wouldn't get a run but once he was out he finished like Ivan Sproule on a motorbike with AOB in the sidecar :greengrin :thumbsup:

GC
07-06-2008, 05:35 PM
I've followed New Approach for some time now and backed him every time, didn't understand the slating he was taking from some prior to this race. Outstanding horse who although a little mad at times when he gets going, he really gets going. 120 quid easy money today, just wish I had more luck with the others.

wazoo1875
07-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Thank you :greengrin

No worries man, I'm glad you backed it. Passed on the tip to my father in law, brother in law and Wazoo from here. We were all at a party this afternoon. Just so happy it came in after me passing out the tip, I thought at the half way stage he was blocked in too much and wouldn't get a run but once he was out he finished like Ivan Sproule on a motorbike with AOB in the sidecar :greengrin :thumbsup:
You did well the day Dave and the last couple of times need to organise some more parties mate , the stampede to the bookies afterwards is a joy to behold. :greengrin

vein
07-06-2008, 06:34 PM
You did well the day Dave and the last couple of times need to organise some more parties mate , the stampede to the bookies afterwards is a joy to behold. :greengrin

Ah your back home then. :greengrin

Yeah we will need to get something sorted for next year, just mind that if the formula ever fails me that you have had a few winners out of me in the years gone by :wink:

wazoo1875
07-06-2008, 09:22 PM

Yeah we will need to get something sorted for next year, just mind that if the formula ever fails me that you have had a few winners out of me in the years gone by :wink:
Nae worries mate ! Now i want you to work out a formula for all the big races then we can retire to the carribean and every day will be a party:wink:

vein
07-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Nae worries mate ! Now i want you to work out a formula for all the big races then we can retire to the carribean and every day will be a party:wink:

Is every day not a party anyway :greengrin

Anyway I've been wondering about this pony that accompanies New Approach were ever he goes, is tonight the night that a hony will be conceived? :wink:

Would certainly be more of a match for a Liger were swords to be involved :greengrin

bingo70
07-06-2008, 09:39 PM

parties eh :confused:

where the **** was my invite ya ***** :grr:

:wink:

vein
07-06-2008, 09:42 PM

Franks lassies 14th mate. Have some bairns and you might get an invite next time mate :greengrin

bingo70
07-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Franks lassies 14th mate. Have some bairns and you might get an invite next time mate :greengrin

wi pals like you, wazoo and rents who needs bairns? :greengrin

wazoo1875
07-06-2008, 09:45 PM

Aye man you would have hated it there were ****in millions o the wee buggers! If you want i will lend you a couple and you can come to them all:thumbsup:

Speedy
07-06-2008, 09:47 PM
I had Tartan Bearer, thought it went for it a bit early

vein
07-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Aye man you would have hated it there were ****in millions o the wee buggers! If you want i will lend you a couple and you can come to them all:thumbsup:

:agree: It was like being on the set of Willow (second time lucky :wink:)

GC
07-06-2008, 10:14 PM

It gave me a hell off a fright, after the way the jockey rode in the 1st, cant mind his name now I thought it had a real chance but New Approach gets an inch and your punished.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-06-2008, 03:46 PM

Stick with him, I think he is a good thing for The St Leger!