PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing

hibeenicol
31-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Hi i've just started fly fishing and I was wondering if anyone on this board can reccommend any good fisheries to go to?

Calvin
31-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Go to Lochs not Fisheries!

Lake of Mentieth is always a good hunting ground for me, Whiteadder reservoir in the Lammermuirs and Loch Leven are my personal favourites.

Jack
31-05-2008, 09:34 PM
There's a book by J.R. Hartley. Not sure if its in print now, best phone around a few bookshops.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-06-2008, 12:47 PM
My old boy is heading away down south on Saturday with his mates for a weeks fishing, I think its Rutland Water he is going to. He has been known to frequent Lake of Menteith & Loch Leven amongst many others in this neck of the woods!

Calvin
05-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Does anyone NOT go to Rutland :greengrin

It really is good down there though.

Andy Bee
05-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi i've just started fly fishing and I was wondering if anyone on this board can reccommend any good fisheries to go to?

Tweedale fishery near Gifford is well stocked with around 3- 4lb being the average catch.

Drummond fish farm on the River Earn also has a good rep

If you're just looking for a day out causing mayhem to the rainbow trout population you cant get better than Beecraigs in Bathgate, not the prettiest of fish but with a six fish limit you'll be hard pushed to last the full session and there's some monsters at over 30lb with 15 - 20lb being caught regularly

Pheona
05-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Tweedale fishery near Gifford is well stocked with around 3- 4lb being the average catch.

Drummond fish farm on the River Earn also has a good rep

If you're just looking for a day out causing mayhem to the rainbow trout population you cant get better than Beecraigs in Bathgate, not the prettiest of fish but with a six fish limit you'll be hard pushed to last the full session and there's some monsters at over 30lb with 15 - 20lb being caught regularly

My husband caught an 11lb rainbow and a 9lb Brownie at Tweeddle last year.

Markle down the A1 seems quite popular but I haven't been there myself.

HarpyHibby
07-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Fisheries I've been to are : Markle, Tweedale, Macbie Hill (near penicuick), Swanswater (stirling), Drummond (Crief), Beecraigs and Pottishaw (Whitburn). Would say the best places to go would be swanswater, tweedale or macbie hill :thumbsup:

hibeenicol
16-09-2008, 08:10 PM
alright folks cheers for all the info will have to try all the fisherys youse have reccomended. I'm going to bangour fishery on sunday anybody got any tips wot flies to use etc?

Sylar
16-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Might slightly hijack this, as it's in a similar vein.

A friend of mine took me fishing for the first time when I was in the US earlier this year - i've bought a small travel rod, which extends to a very nice bit of kit, but it's primarily for spinning.

Anyone recommend any rivers/loch's which would be good for spinning?

Cheers!