PDA

View Full Version : French Open

Sir David Gray
25-05-2008, 03:35 PM
The French Open started today with Novak Djokovic coming back from a set down against German Denis Gremelmayr to win 4-6 6-3 7-5 6-2.

Andy Murray is currently in action against the French 17 year old wild card Jonathan Eysseric and things aren't going well so far. He is currently losing 6-2 1-6 2-5. The guy is 387th in the world rankings. :bitchy:

Defending champion Rafael Nadal and world number one Roger Federer aren't in action today.

Sir David Gray
26-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Day 2 at the French Open and Roger Federer was in action against the American Sam Querrey and he had little trouble in reaching the second round, winning 6-4 6-4 6-3.

Defending champion Rafael Nadal was due to play today against Thomaz Bellucci but it was rained off and he will play tomorrow.

A couple of the seeds have gone already. Marcos Baghdatis lost in straight sets to Simone Bolelli 6-2 6-4 6-2 and Guillermo Canas lost to the American Wayne Odesnik 7-6 7-6 7-6.

The women's draw saw hardly any surprise results although the no 23 seed Alona Bondarenko lost 6-3 6-0 to Petra Cetkovska and the no 15 seed Nicole Vaidisova lost yesterday.

Venus Williams, Serena Williams and Jelena Jankovic have all progressed to the second round.

hibby19
28-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Murray played really well to beat Jose Acasuso today in the second round.

Won 6-4 6-0 6-4 and was one of his best performances on clay.

Well Done Andy! :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
28-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Murray played really well to beat Jose Acasuso today in the second round.

Won 6-4 6-0 6-4 and was one of his best performances on clay.

Well Done Andy! :thumbsup:

:agree: I saw most of it and Murray was very impressive today. Murray now plays the Spaniard Nicolas Almagro in round three who is also seeded, albeit no 19. This is his best performance at the French Open as he has previously never been beyond the 2nd round.

Here's hoping for another successful match. :thumbsup:

hibby19
28-05-2008, 08:45 PM
:agree: I saw most of it and Murray was very impressive today. Murray now plays the Spaniard Nicolas Almagro in round three who is also seeded, albeit no 19. This is his best performance at the French Open as he has previously never been beyond the 2nd round.

Here's hoping for another successful match. :thumbsup:

That should mean a move up in the rankings, obviously the better he does the further he will move.

Good luck to him :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
28-05-2008, 09:20 PM
That should mean a move up in the rankings, obviously the better he does the further he will move.

Good luck to him :thumbsup:

That wasn't said very clearly, I actually meant Almagro's previous best at the French Open was the second round. Apologies for the confusion.

In Murray's case he had only ever played 1 French Open match prior to playing this year. He was knocked out by Gael Monfils in the first round in 2006 which was his first French Open. He didn't play last year because of his wrist injury.

I expect Murray to go really far up the rankings over the next few months as he has no points to defend from last year until August so ANYTHING that he does over the next 3 months will be a bonus.

hibby19
28-05-2008, 09:55 PM
That wasn't said very clearly, I actually meant Almagro's previous best at the French Open was the second round. Apologies for the confusion.

In Murray's case he had only ever played 1 French Open match prior to playing this year. He was knocked out by Gael Monfils in the first round in 2006 which was his first French Open. He didn't play last year because of his wrist injury.

I expect Murray to go really far up the rankings over the next few months as he has no points to defend from last year until August so ANYTHING that he does over the next 3 months will be a bonus.

No worries :greengrin

Will definitely be a big few months for him due to, as you said, his wrist injury last year which means that he will be picking up major points if he does well.

Sir David Gray
29-05-2008, 09:40 PM
The two big guns were in action today in the men's draw. Roger Federer surprisingly lost the first set in his match against world no 60 Albert Montanes but it was straightforward after that, eventually winning 6-7 6-1 6-0 6-4. Defending champion Rafa Nadal had a slightly easier victory beating Frenchman Nicolas Devilder 6-4 6-0 6-1.

Federer now plays Mario Ancic in round 3, whilst Nadal faces the Finn Jarkko Nieminen.

In other areas of the men's draw, David Nalbandian astonishingly lost a 2 set lead against world no 145 Jeremy Chardy to go out 3-6 4-6 6-2 6-1 6-2. There was a further shock with the American 7th seed James Blake going out to Latvian teenager Ernests Gulbis 7-6 3-6 7-5 6-3.

In the women's draw, home favourite Amelie Mauresmo's decline continued after she was knocked out by Spaniard Carla Suarez Navarro losing 6-3 6-4.

6th seed Anna Chakvetadze was also sent packing, she lost to the Estonian Kaia Kanepi 6-4 7-6.

However Jelena Jankovic, Svetlana Kuznetsova and Venus Williams all got through to round 3.

Tomorrow's action sees Rafael Nadal back on court along with Novak Djokovic. Finishing off the men's headline play is Andy Murray who is up against Nicolas Almagro in round three. All the best Andy! :thumbsup:

In terms of the women's action, the Williams sisters will be on show, along with Ana Ivanovic, Maria Sharapova (who will be finishing off her match from today) and Jelena Jankovic.

Sir David Gray
30-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Shocking match by Andy Murray today as he lost 6-3 6-7 6-3 7-5 to Nicolas Almagro.

His attitude was poor throughout, his shot selection left a lot to be desired and his language was a disgrace.

Murray is in serious danger of seeing his career go down the plughole as I am not 100% sure that he knows what way he wants to go. I don't think it has helped that he has completely surrounded himself with people that he has known for years and who he probably regards as "pals". His on court conduct today was shocking and if he had a decent coach they would be telling him to cut out the swearing and concentrate a lot more.

It's fine to get a bit passionate at times during a match in any sport but only if you use that aggression to get you going and use it in the correct manner. Murray seems to shout and swear for the fun of it and he doesn't seem to use it in a positive way.

He was far too predictable with his tactics today which seemed to revolve solely around trying to drop shot Almagro and then if he managed to return the drop shot, then play a lob. If that didn't work he was knackered.

He showed a few touches of his undoubted natural ability but not nearly enough. His serving was poor, which is something that I don't think he has EVER been particularly good at and his shots at times were far too passive.

He was 3-1 up in the 3rd set and lost it 6-3, that is just ridiculous at that level of tennis. And at 5-3 to Almagro in the 4th set on Murray's serve, it was match point when Murray hit a serve that was clearly out but was called in by the umpire. Almagro lost his composure a bit as Murray held his serve and then broke Almagro to level it at 5-5. This prompted a massive uproar from Murray and people started to think that the tide was turning. However, Murray lost his serve in the very next game, what is the point in that? Almagro then held his serve to close out the match. When your opponent is clearly distracted, you have to take advantage but Murray failed to put the pressure on and it ultimately cost him the match.

There is no question that Andy Murray is an excellent tennis player but there is something not quite right psychologically right now and if it doesn't get sorted out then there is a real danger of him tumbling down the rankings.

Hibbie_Cameron
30-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Shocking match by Andy Murray today as he lost 6-3 6-7 6-3 7-5 to Nicolas Almagro.

His attitude was poor throughout, his shot selection left a lot to be desired and his language was a disgrace.

Murray is in serious danger of seeing his career go down the plughole as I am not 100% sure that he knows what way he wants to go. I don't think it has helped that he has completely surrounded himself with people that he has known for years and who he probably regards as "pals". His on court conduct today was shocking and if he had a decent coach they would be telling him to cut out the swearing and concentrate a lot more.

It's fine to get a bit passionate at times during a match in any sport but only if you use that aggression to get you going and use it in the correct manner. Murray seems to shout and swear for the fun of it and he doesn't seem to use it in a positive way.

He was far too predictable with his tactics today which seemed to revolve solely around trying to drop shot Almagro and then if he managed to return the drop shot, then play a lob. If that didn't work he was knackered.

He showed a few touches of his undoubted natural ability but not nearly enough. His serving was poor, which is something that I don't think he has EVER been particularly good at and his shots at times were far too passive.

He was 3-1 up in the 3rd set and lost it 6-3, that is just ridiculous at that level of tennis. And at 5-3 to Almagro in the 4th set on Murray's serve, it was match point when Murray hit a serve that was clearly out but was called in by the umpire. Almagro lost his composure a bit as Murray held his serve and then broke Almagro to level it at 5-5. This prompted a massive uproar from Murray and people started to think that the tide was turning. However, Murray lost his serve in the very next game, what is the point in that? Almagro then held his serve to close out the match. When your opponent is clearly distracted, you have to take advantage but Murray failed to put the pressure on and it ultimately cost him the match.

There is no question that Andy Murray is an excellent tennis player but there is something not quite right psychologically right now and if it doesn't get sorted out then there is a real danger of him tumbling down the rankings.

i agree with you mate

Dont get me wrong im all for Scots winning and shining on the world stage at whatever sport but im really going off Andy Murray. His attitude and behaviour are shocking and i would certainly hate to be a "real" fan who travelled/paid to watch him

Sir David Gray
30-05-2008, 10:36 PM
i agree with you mate

Dont get me wrong im all for Scots winning and shining on the world stage at whatever sport but im really going off Andy Murray. His attitude and behaviour are shocking and i would certainly hate to be a "real" fan who travelled/paid to watch him

I'm starting to go off him as well. I was really positive about him at the outset and very proud that he was Scottish but he is beginning to embarrass himself with his behaviour during matches.

When you consider that he is exactly the same age as Novak Djokovic, there really is no comparison when it comes to both players' on court maturity. Djokovic is obviously a better player than Murray but you have to wonder, if Murray had more control over his emotional state, could he be up there challenging Djokovic for the world number three ranking? I believe he could be because as i've said, there is no question that Murray is a very talented tennis player.

He is now 21 years old, it's only so long that you can go on excusing his behaviour by mentioning his age and saying that he'll grow out of it.

Rafael Nadal won his first French Open just 3 days after his 19th birthday, Roger Federer had won his first Wimbledon just before his 22nd birthday and Novak Djokovic won this years Australian Open when he was still just 20.

I'm not saying Murray has to win a grand slam tournament any time soon but being young isn't an excuse to behave in such a childish manner as those three have proved.

It's time for Murray to lose the bad attitude, start acting like an adult and start proving his worth by showing some thought in his matches. With all due respect to Nicolas Almagro, the guy played well today but Andy Murray should be more than capable of beating him in a best of 5 set match.

Hibbie_Cameron
30-05-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm starting to go off him as well. I was really positive about him at the outset and very proud that he was Scottish but he is beginning to embarrass himself with his behaviour during matches.

When you consider that he is exactly the same age as Novak Djokovic, there really is no comparison when it comes to both players' on court maturity. Djokovic is obviously a better player than Murray but you have to wonder, if Murray had more control over his emotional state, could he be up there challenging Djokovic for the world number three ranking? I believe he could be because as i've said, there is no question that Murray is a very talented tennis player.

He is now 21 years old, it's only so long that you can go on excusing his behaviour by mentioning his age and saying that he'll grow out of it.

Rafael Nadal won his first French Open just 3 days after his 19th birthday, Roger Federer had won his first Wimbledon just before his 22nd birthday and Novak Djokovic won this years Australian Open when he was still just 20.

I'm not saying Murray has to win a grand slam tournament any time soon but being young isn't an excuse to behave in such a childish manner as those three have proved.

It's time for Murray to lose the bad attitude, start acting like an adult and start proving his worth by showing some thought in his matches. With all due respect to Nicolas Almagro, the guy played well today but Andy Murray should be more than capable of beating him in a best of 5 set match.

No doubt about it.

I cant say i watch tennis as much now as i did a year or two ago but Murray has an excellent opportunity to leave a mark on the game, atleast from a British/Scottish view point. He is so far superiour to Timothy.

Henmans problem was he never had the aggression to drive him on etc. Murray does but he has too much of it and its making him look lie a petty fool. I understand there is pressure on him from the media etc but i cant be bothered sitting watching him cuss throughout a match and taking the huff. As you say the likes of Nadal and Federer show class and no doubt they also let there aggression get the better of them but its once in a blue moon and even then its controlled.

For someone who has a generation looking to him for sucess and as a role model he could atleast try to set an example. Doing interviews are all part of the job aswell, if he does not like them then tough. He was on Soccer am the other week like Victor Meldrew. i just think he could grin and bare them, as after all the purpose of the interviews is to help gain and maintain the interest of supporters.

Where as i still wish him well, i just wish he would focus on his play where he is capable of making the headlines. Sadly all his headlines are all too often in his behaviour

Sir David Gray
31-05-2008, 08:43 PM
No doubt about it.

I cant say i watch tennis as much now as i did a year or two ago but Murray has an excellent opportunity to leave a mark on the game, atleast from a British/Scottish view point. He is so far superiour to Timothy.

Henmans problem was he never had the aggression to drive him on etc. Murray does but he has too much of it and its making him look lie a petty fool. I understand there is pressure on him from the media etc but i cant be bothered sitting watching him cuss throughout a match and taking the huff. As you say the likes of Nadal and Federer show class and no doubt they also let there aggression get the better of them but its once in a blue moon and even then its controlled.

For someone who has a generation looking to him for sucess and as a role model he could atleast try to set an example. Doing interviews are all part of the job aswell, if he does not like them then tough. He was on Soccer am the other week like Victor Meldrew. i just think he could grin and bare them, as after all the purpose of the interviews is to help gain and maintain the interest of supporters.

Where as i still wish him well, i just wish he would focus on his play where he is capable of making the headlines. Sadly all his headlines are all too often in his behaviour

I've no doubt Federer gets really angry with himself sometimes (not often, as he has bad matches about once every year :wink:) but he NEVER lets on that he's angry or upset, his reaction to every point is the same whether he's won by playing a fantastic shot or lost by hitting a poor shot. That is not something that comes naturally to him, he had to go to a sports psychologist as a youngster and get that side of him taken away. Bjorn Borg was the very same.

Psychology is massive in most sports but even more so in tennis and it's about time Murray got a hold of that part of his game.

HOWEVER

In today's play the men's action saw a couple of amazing comebacks as Ivan Ljubicic and Fernando Gonzalez both came back from 2 sets down to win their matches. Ljubicic knocked out the Russian 4th seed Nikolay Davydenko 4-6 2-6 6-3 6-2 6-4 and Gonzalez beat 9th seed Stanislas Wawrinka 5-7 2-6 6-4 6-4 6-4.

It was a day of comebacks in the men's draw as Gael Monfils and David Ferrer were both 2-1 down before both of them went on to win. Monfils knocked out the Austrian Jurgen Melzer and Ferrer beat Australian Lleyton Hewitt.

One player who didn't need a comeback was world number one Roger Federer who beat Mario Ancic, the last player to beat him at Wimbledon, 6-3 6-4 6-2.

Other players who progressed in straight sets were Radek Stepanek and Robby Ginepri, who is the last remaining American in either of the men's or women's draw.

In the women's action today, Maria Sharapova overcame a shaky start to eventually knock out Karin Knapp 7-6 6-0. Jelena Jankovic is also through after winning 7-5 6-3 against Dominika Cibulkova and Svetlana Kuznetsova beat Nadia Petrova 6-2 6-1.

On court tomorrow are Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Jankovic, Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal as we reach the last 16 stage of the competition.

Sir David Gray
05-06-2008, 10:15 PM
A few days since i've been on this thread.

The Women's semi finals were played today. In the first match Dinara Safina hammered her fellow Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-3 6-2 to reach her first ever grand slam final. In the second semi final, the all Serbian affair was won by Ana Ivanovic who beat Jelena Jankovic 6-4 3-6 6-4. Unlike Safina, this will be Ivanovic's 3rd grand slam final and her second appearance in the final of the French Open in successive years. However she is yet to win a grand slam after losing to Justine Henin in last year's French Open final and to Maria Sharapova in the final of this year's Australian Open.

Tomorrow sees the men's semi finals take centre stage. There is an absolute cracker in store first up with Novak Djokovic taking on Rafael Nadal and that is followed by Roger Federer against the home favourite, Gael Monfils.

There is so much riding on every one of those four players.

Monfils is bidding to become the first French man to win the French Open in 25 years.

Federer is attempting to win the one grand slam that has so far eluded him and also win the 13th grand slam of his career, which would put him just 1 behind Pete Sampras who holds the record.

Nadal is trying to win at Roland Garros for the 4th year in a row. He is also looking to equal Bjorn Borg's record of 4 consecutive French Open titles. He is also preserving an unbeaten run at the French Open.

Having won the Australian Open earlier this year, Djokovic is aiming to become the first man since 1969 to complete a calendar year grand slam, when Australian legend Rod Laver completed the feat.

Djokovic will also join the likes of Lleyton Hewitt, Marat Safin, Pat Rafter and Ilie Nastase who all have 2 grand slam titles to their name.

Sir David Gray
06-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Well we have what we were looking for. On Sunday the two best male players in the world will compete against one another at the French Open final. Rafael Nadal was in sensational form as he thrashed his nearest rival Novak Djokovic 6-4 6-2 7-6 to make it 27 wins out of 27 appearances at Roland Garros. Roger Federer meanwhile eventually beat Gael Monfils but the Frenchman didn't go down without a fight, the world number one eventually came through in 4 sets, 6-2 5-7 6-3 7-5.

So we won't be having a calendar year grand slam this year now that Djokovic is out but Nadal still has his unbelievable unbeaten record to preserve at the French Open and he is also trying to equal Borg's record of 4 in a row. Meanwhile Federer is bidding to become just the 6th man to complete a career grand slam. He has won the other 3 but has never managed the French, thanks to the dominance of his Spanish nemesis.

It will be a fascinating match and I would like to see Federer win it as it will confirm him to be the best tennis player of all time but I just can't see Nadal losing. The intensity and aggression that he shows during his matches is incredible and he made Djokovic look like a nobody at times today, which of course he isn't.

He has such an amazing amount of energy and a superb physique. Of course, Federer's not bad himself but I just can't help thinking that if Nadal plays anywhere near his best tennis on Sunday then he will win his 4th French Open title in a row.

Sir David Gray
10-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Oh well the final wasn't exactly what I had in mind, in fact it was possibly the worst Grand Slam Final you'll ever see.

The gulf between the two on that surface is quite extraordinary. Nadal absolutely hammered Federer from start to finish but to be honest, Nadal didn't really need to do much as Federer was making mistakes all over the place.

The experts said before the match that Roger Federer would need to play the best match of his life in order to beat Nadal at the French Open but it was possibly one of his worst matches, certainly in his professional career.

Well done to Rafa though, the intensity that he has throughout all his matches is amazing and he was a worthy winner. To only lose 41 games in 7 matches in a Grand Slam is incredible and to not drop a set during the whole tournament says everything about how good he really is on clay.

What will happen now with Wimbledon just around the corner? Will that annihilation psychologically damage Federer or will he be a new man going into the tournament that he has dominated for the past 5 years?

He lost the 3rd set on Sunday 6-0, it was the first time anyone has done that to Federer since the 1999 French Open when Pat Rafter beat him when he was just 17 years of age and he was a Wild Card entry.

There's every chance Nadal could beat Federer at this year's Wimbledon. He came very close at last year's final and I honestly believe Nadal is a lot closer to Federer on a grass court than Federer is to Nadal on a clay court.

It could be a very interesting next few weeks.