PDA

View Full Version : FAO Golfers

Houchy
22-05-2008, 02:58 PM
I was hoping to get a round of golf on the Old course tomorrow but never got picked in the ballot:boo hoo:

Does anyone have any recommendations for any of the other courses there?

Thanks

Sylar
22-05-2008, 03:45 PM
The Dukes course is a decent enough test and very scenic!

Either that, or the Devlin course at St Andrews Bay, just round the road from the town!

Hard luck about missing out on the ballot, although to be honest, i've played the Old Course twice and it's never managed to impress me - certainly doesn't live up to the hype, but certainly lives of it.

McSwanky
22-05-2008, 04:37 PM
The New Course is a good test (and right next to the Old). You wouldn't be disappointed with the Jubilee or the Eden either - both good solid courses with plenty of interest. Don't know how easy/expensive it is to get on them, but I'd probably go for the New if given the choice. If you're heading out of town, Kings Barns is a real toughie if you like that sort of thing, I've played one of the courses at the St Andrews Bay resort, but can't remember which one it was, so I'm not much good to you there!

Basically as long as you avoid the diddy courses like the Strathtyrum and Balgove (are they even still there?) you should be ok.

The Old's a good course, but its main draw is the fact that you recognise so many of the holes off the telly! It isn't any more of a test than the others if you ask me.

Davy Mac
22-05-2008, 09:35 PM
I was hoping to get a round of golf on the Old course tomorrow but never got picked in the ballot:boo hoo:

Does anyone have any recommendations for any of the other courses there?

Thanks

Get yourself up to Scotscraig at Tayport (6 miles or so north of St Andrews) - sensational course, you will not be disappointed!

Houchy
23-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Just got back after playing the new course and shooting an 81. Very good but very challenging course. I am completely knackered. Superfast greens that after speaking to the grenkeeper, turns out they'd been double cut.

£65 and worth every penny. Hole 10 par 3 SI 15 and I had to hit driver!!! Say hi to the quad bogey.:agree:

Still really like to play the old course sometime in the next couple of months though despite so many people even in St Andrews saying it's very over rated.

McSwanky
25-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Just got back after playing the new course and shooting an 81. Very good but very challenging course. I am completely knackered. Superfast greens that after speaking to the grenkeeper, turns out they'd been double cut.

£65 and worth every penny. Hole 10 par 3 SI 15 and I had to hit driver!!! Say hi to the quad bogey.:agree:

Still really like to play the old course sometime in the next couple of months though despite so many people even in St Andrews saying it's very over rated.

Glad you enjoyed it, the New is a great course. A round of the Old is still a great experience though, and quite a pleasant one if you stay out of the bunkers :wink:. I reckon you would shoot lower on the Old if you managed to get round the New in 81 with a quadruple bogey.